Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-03-2010, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 115
attachment.php?attachmentid=180461&d=1279215365
The Review at a Glance: ( max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373697

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373697

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 2000
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 98 minutes
Genre: Action/Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English/French/Portuguese DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish, Portuguese
Starring: Cameron Diaz, Drew Barrymore, Lucy Liu, Bill Murray, Sam Rockwell, Kelly Lynch
Directed by: McG
Music by: Ed Shearmur
Written by: Ryan Rowe, Ed Solomon & John August
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: August 3, 2010

"Action Doesn't Get Any Hotter Than This."

Film Synopsis:

They're beautiful, they're brilliant, and they work for Charlie. In Charlie's Angels, a sexy, high-octane update of the original '70s action-comedy TV series, Natalie, Dylan and Alex, alongside faithful lieutenant Bosley, must foil an elaborate murder-revenge plot that could not only destroy individual privacy worldwide, but spell the end of Charlie and his Angels.

My Take:

I must confess. When I saw ‘Charlie's Angels' 10 years ago I thought it was pretty weak. Maybe I wasn't in the mood for its brand of camp and bubblegum, but whatever the case, I have not looked at it since and avoided the sequel like the plague. I tend to think I am more jaded now, especially with films..but somehow I found myself open to ‘Charlie's Angels' this time and really did enjoy the ride. I attribute that to the fact I knew it was in no way, shape or form serious and for all intents and purposes, completely goofy and off-the-wall. From the beginning with Tom Green falling off the boat saying "It's the Chad" to Lucy Liu's (Alex) as a dominatrix or Cameron Diaz's (Natalie) dancing on Soul Train ("Go white girl, go")...I found my self laughing much more than I expected. And for all the negative things I have read by fan-boys about Director McG, he was technically ahead of the curve and seemed to have command on what was happening visually and with the tone of the film. But tying to review or look ‘Charlie's Angels' for any redeeming qualities besides entertainment is as silly as the film itself.

I never did see the TV show (1976-1981), I was too well busy watching Sesame Street or the Electric Company, and I missed on syndication. So my opinion comes without having that as a reference. ‘Charlie's Angels' plot was nothing captivating. The faceless Charlie's team of angels are hired to find the kidnapped Eric Knox (Sam Rockwell, Iron Man 2), who created a powerful piece of software. As they search for him the girls find love, sexy little outfits and that the mission is much more than they bargained for. What was left was super over-the-top scenes of action, pulling from the likes of 'True Lies' to 'The Matrix'. We get the treat of the sexy three's (Diaz, Barrymore, Liu), cute little quirks and funny back-stories as well as their uncanny ability to kick some serious ass. The Villains were better than I remember as well. When

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Sam Rockwell is exposed as the ringleader, the way turns from so nice to uber-mean, spitting at and treating Barrymore's Dylan so heartless was just ultra-well played.
He is always impressive. All of the supporting cast are great. The always enjoyable Bill Murray was a riot as Bosley and Kelly Lynch and Crispin Glover were enjoyable as the 'heavies'. These guys are what helped make this other-wise empty story move along at an enjoyable clip. Basically, if you open yourself to a big, loud and dumb experience, you just might have some fun with this Blu-ray release.

Parental Guide:

Rated PG-13 for action violence, innuendo and some sensuality/nudity.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 88

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373694

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373698

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373697

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373697

Video: 88

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373698

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373698

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373696

‘Charlie's Angels' comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 25.2 mbps and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 Surround Sound that has an average bitrate of 3.6 mbps.

Sony's Blu-ray release of 'Charlie's Angels' big and loud popcorn flick with an extremely fun and over-the-top audio and video presentation. They did include an option to hit menu to go right to the discs options instead of force feeding us the previews and advertising, which is always much appreciated.

‘Charlie's Angels' comes equipped with a super aggressive DTS-HD MA track. Low end is as heavy as I have heard, bordering on over-kill. It is all over the track from its rock and roll soundtrack to explosions and even noticeable on footsteps and slamming doors. On another film it might not have worked, but here it seemed to fit, even if it is not the most elegant low end I have heard, at times sounding a bit floppy. Regardless, the booming LFE and the hyper active use of surrounds make this a fun track to crank. Dialogue is always crystal clear, as are the little clinks and clanks of a sword being drawn and glass shattering. The AVC encoded video is as glossy as the soundtrack, and film itself for that matter. Over-saturated colors, used with taste stand out the most. Because of that, flesh-tones do have a bit more color than than they should. It all seems a product of the film itself and not an encoding issue. Its a very clean and sharp transfer with impressive blacks. There were times where the fine detail's were breath-taking. Sony delivers, yet again. This is as close to reference as it gets.

Bonus Features:

• Commentary with Director McG and Cinematographer Russell Carpenter

• Getting G'd Up

• The Master and the Angels

• Welcome to Angel World Angelic Attire: Dressing Cameron, Drew, and Lucy

• Angelic Effects

• Wired Angels

• (HD) 3 Deleted Scenes

• Outtakes and Bloopers

• (HD) Previews: Stomp the Yard: Homecoming, The Back-Up Plan, Beastly, The Runaways, and Damages

• movie IQ+sync

• BD LIVE enabled
attachment.php?attachmentid=180462&d=1279215365

Final Thoughts:

Sony's Blu-ray release of ‘Charlie's Angels' fits the film perfectly. Big, silly and glossy can describe its look, sound and the film itself. It comes with a pretty heavy array of special features, including a commentary track with Director McG and Cinematographer Russell Carpenter that is more technical based then in-site into the movie. Like I said in 'My Take', I really didn't like this on my first viewing 10 years ago (can you believe its been 10 years!?), but I did find it much more enjoyable this time around. For fans of the movie it's an easy decision to purchase, for all others this comes recommended as a strong rental for a bit of mindless fun on movie night.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157497&d=1257542613

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS35 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Custom 1.3 Gain 128" 2.37:1 CinemaScope Screen
Pioneer SC27 Receiver (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Pioneer Elite BDP-23FD Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Triangle Zerius Speakers (7.1)
SVS PC13-Ultra Subwoofer
u
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-03-2010, 09:31 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Greetings,

Thanks Lee..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #3 of 10 Old 08-03-2010, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have it on DVD and have watched it twice now, but I don't really feel I will watch it again so I'm gonna pass on the Blu-ray.
post #4 of 10 Old 08-03-2010, 12:00 PM

It looks like this Blu-Ray uses the same master as the two previous DVD releases, which is not a bad thing, as the transfer was great even 9 years ago.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-04-2010, 11:57 AM

Hmmm, I never gave this movie much thought when it first came out, but now that I've read your review I think it might be worth a rent. I may also be a sucker for Lucy Lee movies.

Thanks for the review Lee.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-04-2010, 05:34 PM

Now that this title has been released, where is Bad Boys II? That movie should have been released at least two years ago when it was listed as coming soon on Blu-Ray demonstration discs.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-04-2010, 06:46 PM

Liked: 31
Watched this on cable... ok..not a "turd". I may find this used in a week or two...the ladies were cuties...should be hot on BR
post #8 of 10 Old 08-07-2010, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Never saw the original series? The angels were my first serious crush. BTW Thanks for the review.

Dave
post #9 of 10 Old 08-07-2010, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davird_Jr View Post

Never saw the original series? The angels were my first serious crush. BTW Thanks for the review.

I was 1.5 through 6.5 while it was on
post #10 of 10 Old 08-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weber View Post

I was 1.5 through 6.5 while it was on

Greetings,

Too bad Lee. You missed out my friend..