Feature running time: 438 minutes
Genre: Sci-Fi, TV/Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Robert Carlyle, Louis Ferreira, David Blue, Justin Louis, Lou Diamond Phillips, Ming Na, Brian J. Smith, Elyse Levesque, Jamil Walker Smith, Alaina Huffman
Directed by: Various
Music by: Joel Goldsmith
Written by: Various
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: July 27, 2010

"The only mission is survival"

Film Synopsis:

The electrifying series starring Robert Carlyle returns, presenting a whole new set of challenges for the civilians and military personnel stranded in deep space aboard the Destiny. As Dr. Rush (Carlyle) races against time to locate a tracking devise hidden somewhere on the ship, he also begins to suspect that a mole for the Alliance has infiltrated the group. Confronting the constant demands of the Destiny, the crew must also face their personal demons time and again in this powerful adventure that also features Lou Diamond Phillips, Ming-Na, and Louis Ferreira.

My Take:

Stargate Universe 1.5 Features the final 10 episodes of season one as the story continues to follow a group of soldiers, scientists and civilians that are unexpectedly transported to the other side of the universe. Stranded billions of miles from Earth on an Ancient ship known as the Destiny, the passengers encounter adventures beyond their wildest dreams as they struggle to survive. Here's a little background on Destiny and its current inhabitants. Destiny is an unmanned ship sent out eons ago by the Ancients. The ship was equipped with a stargate that would enable the Ancients quick access to a series of stargates littered throughout the far reaches of space for the purpose of galaxy exploration. Soon after the Ancients evolved, and learned to ascend beyond their physical forms and no longer required the use of the system for which Destiny was deployed. The survivors now aboard Destiny are led by Colonel Young, a competent leader who is respected by his subordinates. His second in command is Lt. Scott, a conscientious, empathetic and loyal soldier. Dr. Nicholas Rush is a civilian scientist working for the government on the Stargate project and is a man driven by what appears to be a hidden agenda. Eli Wallace is an unemployed MIT dropout recruited by Dr. Rush who seems to have a knack for solving many of the puzzles/riddles/gadgets associated with life aboard an alien vessel. The remainder of the survivors is made up of essential and non essential people that revolve around these primary characters.

This is a character driven series built around a Sci-Fi theme that focuses on the obstacles faced by the survivors aboard Destiny as they struggle to cohabitate while figuring out how to get home. The ship uncontrollably moves in and out of a sort of light speed with Dr. Rush, Eli and company unable to determine exactly where it is going. There are a variety of smaller subplots built around the pressures of trying to find ways to survive amidst chaos, romance, and an unending level of peril against heavy odds. In this 10 segment series the crew aboard Destiny finds themselves divided between the civilians and military with Dr. Rush and Colonel Young constantly at odds. In more of a traditional genre spin the crew must deal with a common enemy that comes in the form of a race of aliens that pursue and attack them in a quest to obtain Destiny's secrets. The show's elements aren't original from a conceptual standpoint however the themes it borrows from work well in this setting. It is fairly engaging while providing a level of suspense that keeps interest going. The special effects are what you might expect from a sci-fi TV series working on a limited budget. I like the development of the characters and the show's use of the Ancient technology (that allows their consciousness to switch places with another person back home on earth) which enhances audience connection by allowing providing a bit of escapism from the limits of the Destiny. There is a wide variety of personalities and interpersonal relationships which serves as a solid foundation for building storylines. I found the primary and secondary characters along with the cast that portray them to be equally likeable which adds to the shows appeal. The ten season episodes, and bonus features are spread over three BD-50 dual layered Blu-ray discs. I must say that I enjoyed season one (1.5) of Stargate Universe (SGU). It's character driven plot may not break new ground but it manages to press the right buttons while taking the Stargate TV franchise in a new direction.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for science fiction violence, sensuality, and thematic elements.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 86

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 84

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Stargate Universe 1.5 comes to Blu-ray Disc from MGM/Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 23 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.5 Mbps.

The high definition video was rendered with good overall resolution that featured bold contrast, limited but natural colors, and lifelike complexions. Resolution was very good although fine detail wasn't always definitively resolvable which resulted in images appearing less delineated at times. On the contrary there were many instances where the picture had good sharpness and defining clarity. Whites were occasionally overcooked which impacted the perception of detail. Blacks were deep but mildly crushed which obscured subtle gradations making some dark scenes appear flat. Detail in the shadowy and dark confines of ship was apparent but depth was scene dependent.

I was pleased with the quality of this audio presentation which is something that I have been seeing with the majority of the TV series based available on Blu-ray. The DTS-HD MA soundtrack features crystal clear dialogue, potent dynamics and a subtle, yet enriching surround sound mix. I was impressed with its use of spatial dimension and directional cues to create a realistic and occasionally immersive sound field. This worked hand in hand with shows excellent music score, and action based sequences to build tension and drive its thematic elements. I thought it sounded great.

Compared with SGU 1.0 the image and sound here offered similar quality although the video was a tad more refined and the audio a little more detailed. The differences were subtle but worthy of note.

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1:

• (HD) Destiny SML - Interactive star map/ log feature, behind the scenes interviews/content (4 segments totaling 16 minutes):

1. David Blu: An interview with the Creators of SGU
    2. Designing a new race: Space aliens
    3. Tanked! Elyse Levesque goes for a swim
    4. Chatting with the cast: Peter Kelamis

• (HD) Kino video diaries - 4 segments

• Audio commentary tracks for episodes: Space, Divided , Faith , Human

• Disc 2:

• (HD) Destiny SML - Interactive star map/ log feature, behind the scenes interviews/content (6 segments totaling 29 minutes):

1. Brian J. Smith: An interview with the creators of SGU
    2. The Destiny of General ONeill
    3. A day in the life of Louis Ferrier
    4. Chatting with the cast: Julie Benson
    5. Our for a space walk with Jamil Walker Smith
    6. Finding Destiny: A tour of the Destiny set with Chris Beach

• (HD) Kino video diaries - 3 segments

• Audio commentary tracks for episodes: Lost, Sabotage , Pain

Disc 3:

• (HD) Destiny SML - Interactive star map/ log feature, behind the scenes interviews/content (5 segments totaling 22 minutes):

1. Alaina Huffman: An interview with the creators of SGU
  2. Chatting with the cast: Jennifer Spence
  3. A behind the scenes look at Incursion
  4. Two-for-one: Behind the Incursion: double ratchet stunt
  5. Chatting with the cast: Patrick Gilmore

• (HD) Kino video diary - All the stages

• Audio commentary tracks for episodes: Incursion, Subversion parts 1 & 2

• SGU: Survival instinct game - Interactive Blu-ray Disc exclusive feature

Final Thoughts:

Stargate Universe 1.5 delves further into season one
and provides its characters with more depth as well as enhancing its Sci-Fi themed elements. I wouldn't say that it is the most compelling show within its genre but I must admit to enjoying it regardless of the premise it shares with successful sci-fi programs from the past (which shouldn't necessarily be viewed as a shortcoming). I found this 10 episode extension of season one to be decent and look forward to seeing what lies in store for the survivors aboard Destiny when season two debuts this fall. The Blu-ray Disc presentation from MGM appears faithful to the show's elements and makes for a decent high definition audio/video experience. The supplemental package augments the series and includes Blu-ray disc exclusives that are worth the time to explore. All in all a solid offering for fans.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 08-03-2010, 09:48 AM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Thanks Ralph.

I enjoyed Stargate the movie but never did see the show. Its now on my list!
post #3 of 26 Old 08-03-2010, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weber View Post

Thanks Ralph.

I enjoyed Stargate the movie but never did see the show. Its now on my list!

Well then Lee, in addition to this you've got 10 seasons of SG-1 and 5 seasons of Atlantis to catch up on. Better get movin'.
post #4 of 26 Old 08-03-2010, 10:54 AM

Liked: 10
I never really got into the other StarGate shows, but I do like this one. It doesn't quite fill the void left by BSG, but it does help fill the pew pew pew deficit. Elyse Levesque is pretty easy on the eyes too.
post #5 of 26 Old 08-03-2010, 11:43 AM

Liked: 14
except for the first couple seasons of SG1 I like it the most! Come on they had McGyver (SP?) I liked Atlantis but it didnt hook me like SG1 did. SGU is ok and a good story but I dont think it will last long. I wish they could come up with a deep enthralling story like Voyager was. Even after all this time I still think that is one of the better TV shows
post #6 of 26 Old 08-03-2010, 01:25 PM

I never saw any of the Stargate TV shows (even though the movie is one of my favorites), so I wasn't sure what to expect. And I'm still not sure whether or not I like this show, it's grown on me over the past year, even though I think Chloe is one of the most unlikeable characters in any TV show at this point. I hope they can continue to find interesting stories to tell, unlike Space:Above and Beyond, which was a great show, but shortlived due to there not being anywhere left to go.
post #7 of 26 Old 08-03-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elladan View Post

unlike Space:Above and Beyond, which was a great show, but shortlived due to there not being anywhere left to go.

Nowhere left to go?? S:AAB died an untimely death because no one watched it and it cost way too much to make, not because there was nowhere for it to go. Having it preempted by football every week didn't help either.
post #8 of 26 Old 08-03-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTripps View Post

I never really got into the other StarGate shows, but I do like this one. It doesn't quite fill the void left by BSG, but it does help fill the pew pew pew deficit. Elyse Levesque is pretty easy on the eyes too.

You can have Levesque. I'll bunk with Julia Benson (Lt. Vanessa James).
post #9 of 26 Old 08-04-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGigaShadow View Post

Well then Lee, in addition to this you've got 10 seasons of SG-1 and 5 seasons of Atlantis to catch up on. Better get movin'.

Ha, and those 15 seasons can be had for very cheap. That's a lot of episodes for the price. I've never watched any of the stargate series but after catching a few of the Universe, I decided to start with SG-1. I'm through 8 seasons of it now and just starting with Atlantis. It's been very enjoyable to watch them in order.
post #10 of 26 Old 08-04-2010, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

A bit confusing! So if i want to watch this i need to view all the previous seasons for it to make sense?
post #11 of 26 Old 08-04-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover2002 View Post

A bit confusing! So if i want to watch this i need to view all the previous seasons for it to make sense?

No, you really don't. Though SGU has brought over some characters from SG-1 (in guest staring appearances) and has plans to bring over some Atlantis (SGA) characters (also in guest staring appearances) in season 2 the SGU show is a self contained show. Because it exists in the bigger Stargate "universe" of shows there may sometimes be references to things that happened in SG-1 or SGA that you may not get, or some references to the overall Stargate mythology that's been established so far that you won't be familiar with but for the most part, it won't matter. You can totally follow and enjoy SGU without having to have seen the others.

The good news is that if you try SGU and like it, there are 15 seasons of the previous series set in the same "universe" waiting for you to check out. All three shows are written, produced, and directed by the same crew of people so the feel and quality (which is generally pretty high) is consistent throughout the three series.

Of the three, SGU is the one that is the most serialized (SG-1 and SGA were fairly episodic in nature) so if you do decide to try SGU definitely make sure you start it from the beginning. Ralph's review is for the BD of the second half of season 1 (eps. 11-20). There is a BD available for the first 10 episodes.
post #12 of 26 Old 08-05-2010, 09:37 AM

Liked: 11
I don't think one needs to see all the previous SG shows to enjoy this. Uf you've seen the orignal film, you understand the SG concept. I found the previous shows boringly generic and never bothered much with them (though I did come back for some of the Ben Browder/Claudia Black eps). If you're curious, just start with the first 10 SGU shows and most folks should be fine.
Although I truly wish the franchise ceases after this one.)
post #13 of 26 Old 08-05-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Clemons View Post

Although I truly wish the franchise ceases after this one.)

Or, you could just stop watching.
post #14 of 26 Old 08-05-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:

It doesn't quite fill the void left by BSG...

If you feel that void and you're not watching Caprica, you're doing yourself a disservice.
post #15 of 26 Old 08-05-2010, 05:05 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Or, you could just stop watching.

FDor the most part, I have. In fact, lately, that applies to the SyFy channel as a whole..
post #16 of 26 Old 08-05-2010, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, you really don't. Though SGU has brought over some characters from SG-1 (in guest staring appearances) and has plans to bring over some Atlantis (SGA) characters (also in guest staring appearances) in season 2 the SGU show is a self contained show. Because it exists in the bigger Stargate "universe" of shows there may sometimes be references to things that happened in SG-1 or SGA that you may not get, or some references to the overall Stargate mythology that's been established so far that you won't be familiar with but for the most part, it won't matter. You can totally follow and enjoy SGU without having to have seen the others.

The good news is that if you try SGU and like it, there are 15 seasons of the previous series set in the same "universe" waiting for you to check out. All three shows are written, produced, and directed by the same crew of people so the feel and quality (which is generally pretty high) is consistent throughout the three series.

Of the three, SGU is the one that is the most serialized (SG-1 and SGA were fairly episodic in nature) so if you do decide to try SGU definitely make sure you start it from the beginning. Ralph's review is for the BD of the second half of season 1 (eps. 11-20). There is a BD available for the first 10 episodes.

Thanks, i'll give the first 10 episodes of 'Universe' a go then.
post #17 of 26 Old 08-06-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:

If you feel that void and you're not watching Caprica, you're doing yourself a disservice.

I like Caprica. I'll be glad when they start new episodes.
post #18 of 26 Old 08-06-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:

I like Caprica. I'll be glad when they start new episodes.

Did you see the promo for the second half of season one yet?

http://video.syfy.com/shows/caprica#...ailer/v1241235

But January 2011?? It's going to be a long wait but it looks like it'll be worth it.
post #19 of 26 Old 08-07-2010, 10:44 AM

My 2 cents,

Having watched all the episodes of SG1 and SGA (which I found absolutely entertaining) I have to say that I find SGU to be quite disappointing. The character and spirit of SGU is (to me) NOTHING like SG1/SGA.

Where SG1/SGA were fun, humourous, cheeky and adventurous, I find SGU to be more a Soap Opera in deep space with veiled attempts to capture some of the spirit of the original shows. Drama for the sake of drama never floated my boat and unfortunately for me that is the direction the Stargate franchise is taking.

By all means, for those that enjoy it go ahead, but I don't think one can even remotely say that it is in the same character as the original shows. The creators even said as much, they were trying to head into a new direction.

Me, I'm done with SGU. I'm waiting for the SGA movie.
post #20 of 26 Old 08-07-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadamFG View Post

The creators even said as much, they were trying to head into a new direction.

And indeed they have.

SG-1 and Atlantis were both good and definitely more similar in tone to each other than SGU is to both of them. But isn't that the point? SG-1 and SGA already exist. Why make another show that is the same in tone? SGU exists in the bigger "universe" of Stargate shows and shares some similarities with the others but is definitely a different kind of show. I have no problem with that.

Thing is, had they just followed suit and made another standard Stargate show the complaint would be that it's too similar to the other two and that they just keep doing the same thing over and over again.
post #21 of 26 Old 08-07-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:

Why make another show that is the same in tone?

I wish they would, as there is far too little like SG1/SGA as it is. If I wanted drama for drama, I could tune in Private Practice, Grey's Anatomy, etc etc.

Besides, one can do different things without moving away from the key elements that made the Stargate franchise so popular. If you've got a compelling plot and character development that's what matters. While the plot setup has promise, I don't find the character elements compelling at all. I feel like I'm being dragged through teenage level artificial interaction for 40 some-odd-minutes every week.

If SGU is the only thing the creators felt they could do to change things up, then honestly I rather they had not created a new SG series. It's not that it is different so much as HOW it is so.

Either way, besides my feelings on SGU my main point was that it is nothing like the other shows and to say so I feel is a mis-representation.

I'd take McKay over Rush any day!

Like I said, if it floats your boat by all means enjoy it. Just realize that it is nothing like the previous shows.
post #22 of 26 Old 08-07-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:

I wish they would, as there is far too little like SG1/SGA as it is.

That's right. There's nothing else like them. But if you like all your shows to be exactly the same, perhaps you should try the CSI shows or the Law and Order shows.

Quote:

Besides, one can do different things without moving away from the key elements that made the Stargate franchise so popular.

Not without repeating themselves. And not without suffering backlash for both. When Deep Space Nine launched in 93 there were complaints that it was too different because they were on a space station and not on a ship. Because they didn't go anywhere. When Voyager launched in 95 and we had a crew back on a starship going from place to place people complained it was too similar to TNG. Show creators are never going to please everyone but unfortunately they try to all to often these days. I think a large part of the reason that so much of what is currently on TV is so stale is because viewers like yourself tend to want the same thing fed to them over and over again. Any deviation make them uneasy.

I also don't think they've moved away from the key elements of Stargate. There's still a Stargate on board. There's still off world exploration. Even O'Neill's been in it more than he ever showed up on SGA

Quote:

If you've got a compelling plot and character development that's what matters.

SGU has both in spades.

Quote:

I feel like I'm being dragged through teenage level artificial interaction for 40 some-odd-minutes every week.

Feeling that way, I'm uncertain why you would continue to watch. If I feel that way about a show I stop watching and don't go back. After a couple of years of Smallville, I had enough, so I dropped it. What I didn't do was watch each week then complain about how bad it was.

Quote:

If SGU is the only thing the creators felt they could do to change things up, then honestly I rather they had not created a new SG series. It's not that it is different so much as HOW it is so.

Well as I suggested to another poster, why not just not watch it?

Quote:

Either way, besides my feelings on SGU my main point was that it is nothing like the other shows and to say so I feel is a mis-representation.

Nothing like it? I'd hardly call that an accurate statement.

Quote:

Just realize that it is nothing like the previous shows.

I already said it was definitely a different type of show. Not sure how you missed that. But, nothing like it? Not even close.
post #23 of 26 Old 08-08-2010, 09:04 AM

@TheGigaShadow

Wow, did you get out of the wrong side of the bed or something?

A couple of people (including myself) have stated opinions that we don't feel the same way as you do. Doesn't mean you've got to be all over us like flies on poop. Why be such a jerk about things?

In my experience it is worth giving a show a few episodes to see if it matures into something I enjoy. I'm glad I did with Farscape, as I found it weak in the beginning, but by the end of the 1st season I found I enjoyed it very much. I gave SGU a full season to see if it would win me over. It didn't and I've put my opinion as to why. Like I HAVE SAID "I'm done with SGU".

RELAX DUDE, it's JUST A TV SHOW. Don't need to be so emotionally invested in it to the point that you're attacking others.

EDIT - By the way I find this statement insulting "...TV is so stale is because viewers like yourself tend to want the same thing fed to them over and over again. Any deviation make them uneasy." You are in no position to evaluate my entertainment preferences, TV or otherwise.
post #24 of 26 Old 08-08-2010, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Greetings,

This discussion has strayed off topic. Let's move on..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #25 of 26 Old 08-08-2010, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadamFG View Post

My 2 cents,

Having watched all the episodes of SG1 and SGA (which I found absolutely entertaining) I have to say that I find SGU to be quite disappointing. The character and spirit of SGU is (to me) NOTHING like SG1/SGA.

Where SG1/SGA were fun, humourous, cheeky and adventurous, I find SGU to be more a Soap Opera in deep space with veiled attempts to capture some of the spirit of the original shows. Drama for the sake of drama never floated my boat and unfortunately for me that is the direction the Stargate franchise is taking.

By all means, for those that enjoy it go ahead, but I don't think one can even remotely say that it is in the same character as the original shows. The creators even said as much, they were trying to head into a new direction.

Me, I'm done with SGU. I'm waiting for the SGA movie.

FWIW, I agree. Yes, I know that SGU is "character driven", but I found that I really didn't like the characters. I stopped watching. I"m certainly not going to pay $40 per half season on BD.
For those of you who do like it, that's great.
just my 2 cents.
J
post #26 of 26 Old 08-26-2010, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I liked it but found those eggs hard not to laugh at, these are also plot holes all over the place.
That being said it is still enjoyable, credit to Carlyle and the others for some good acting.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Stargate Universe Sgu Season 1 5 Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Stargate by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page