Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2010
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 88 minutes
Genre: Family

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, Portuguese, Cantonese, Mandarin
Starring: Lee Pace, Judy Greer, William H. Macy. Voices: Owen Wilson, Geroge Lopez, Steve Coogan, Fergie, Emma Stone, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Sam Elliott
Directed by: Tom Dey
Music by: Christopher Lennertz
Written by: Tim Rasmussen & Vince Di Meglio
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: August 31, 2010

"Live large"

Film Synopsis:

An all-star cast, including Owen Wilson, George Lopez, Kiefer Sutherland and Fergie, lend their voices to this doggone funny comedy starring the world's most lovable Great Dane. When Marmaduke (Wilson) moves to a new neighborhood with his family, the super-sized teenage dog soon discovers he just doesn't fit in - literally! But, with the help of his best pal Carlos the Cat (Lopez) and some newfound four-legged friends, Marmaduke may just get out of the doghouse, fall in love, and surf off into the sunset.

My Take:

Marmaduke is a super sized teenage dog that can't being a one man wrecking crew. His young life will forever be changed after his family moves from Kansas to Orange County (referred to here as the O.C) California when dad Phil gets a job offer with a pet food company. Daughter Barbara isn't at all thrilled about leaving her friends and gamer/skater son Brian is open to the idea especially since he doesn't have many friends to begin with. Mom Debbie believes that home is where the family is so they pack up and head west. Once they hit Cali Marmaduke quickly hooks up with fellow mutts Mazie, Raisin, and Giuseppe at the local dog park where Phil meets with his new boss. Mazie and company show him the ropes which includes staying clear of the pedigrees who are lead by bullying alpha dog Bosco. Unfortunately Marmaduke runs afoul of Bosco and his minions after he becomes smitten with Jezebel, a pedigree collie and Bosco's girlfriend. Determined to fit in and gain the favor of Jezebel, Marmaduke enlists the aid of close friend and family cat Carlos in a ruse designed to impress everyone with his domination of the lesser species. Things go as planned and once he is in with the pedigrees Marmaduke naturally forgets buddies Mazie, Rasin, and Giuseppe. Being the alpha dog isn't all its cracked up to be, a lesson that Marmaduke comes to learn the hard way but not before he turns everyones life, including his own, upside down.

Having seen the trailer for Marmaduke I didn't have any illusions of grandeur going into this review. The story is exactly what you might expect and revolves around an offish and lovable canine that unintentionally wreaks havoc around the house and in the lives of his irritated but adoring family. The formulaic plot and paint by the number script offers no surprises. Along with the requisite lesson about bullying and familial conflict it contains a rather obvious (and overstated) message about fitting in and acceptance/tolerance of others. The list of actors that lent their voices to the characters were all well suited especially the very likeable Owen Wilson, the hysterically funny George Lopez and the gravelly voiced Kiefer Sutherland. I didn't feel that Marmaduke was a bad movie. It is just a typically corny one that features family friendly humor, a variety of cute animals, and a positive message for its target audience. At the end of the day I didn't mind it nearly as much as I thought I would.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for some rude humor, language, and mild thematic material.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 84

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Marmaduke comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 31 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.8 Mbps.

This is a great looking video presentation that boasts vivid primary colors and excellent depth and dimension. Images are sharp, delineated and revealing of subtle textural detail that enhances the perception of minutia within clothing, physical features and objects onscreen. Blacks are rich with deep highlights that provide plenty of pop during dark sequences that contain mixed content. Detail in shadowy backgrounds and uneven lighting in the hotel and nighttime exterior sequences is quite good which gives those segments appreciable depth of field. Fidelity never wavers in this beautifully rendered high def encoding from Fox. The DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack readily delivers the goods in this fun and sometimes active surround mix. Dialogue is distinctive, free of sibilance, and appropriately elevated within the front soundstage. The atmospheric sounds of the city, falling rain, the upbeat music score, and the various voices of the dogs all come across with crystal clarity and proportionate spacing that create a believable and occasionally enveloping soundscape. Dynamics are punchy and bass has tangible weight that added solidity/depth to the mixes recorded elements. This presentation won't bring down the house but it sounds great.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Puppy Marmaduke and Kitty Carlos: Home movies - 3 minutes of cute cuddly fun

• (HD) Marmaduke mayhem! 2 minute gag reel

• (HD) 8 deleted scenes

• (HD) Cowabarka - 5 minute production featurette (surfs up!)

• (HD) Canine casting - 2 minute behind the scenes look

• (HD) Theatrical trailer

• Bonus DVD of Marmaduke

Final Thoughts:

Marmaduke is a mildly entertaining family film with a paint by the numbers screenplay that offers enough family friendly humor and cute and cuddly animals to make it tolerable when the little ones are itching for a few laughs that include talking dogs. Its high definition audio/video presentation from Fox on Blu-ray looks and sounds terrific while offfering bonus features that are more fluff than substance. If you're looking for a movie to rent on family video night Marmaduke will make the kids happy.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-30-2010, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 226
"At the end of the day I didn't mind it nearly as much as I thought I would."

Kind of figured that as best case scenario. My four year old has been asking about this so if she digs it I will have a good time too.

I just hope it is not on sale somewhere so I would have to buy it...

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #3 of 5 Old 08-30-2010, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Ok Ralph,
I'm going to give it a spin since you say it's not a "bad" movie, and with video rated at 90 and awesome 84 for audio, my tolerance level is kicked up a notch. Thanks for the review!.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-31-2010, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ralph, I'm glad to see your review was favorable for this film.
Marmaduke and Harry Brown were my two top blu-ray picks for this week outings.
I personally enjoyed the Marmaduke cartoon growing up so this should be an enjoyable fun movie.
Marmaduke being a fun light-weight film should be a good balance for the rather dark and violent Harry Brown film.
Thanks Ralph for the review.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-01-2010, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 226
We watched this last night and Ralph was right on. Not great but not bad. It kind of reminded me of Alvin and the Chipmunks. What is exceptional about the film is it's picture quality. This looked fantastic! So sharp and clean.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Marmaduke Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Marmaduke by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page