Feature running time: 95/91 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Will Forte, Ryan Philippe, Kristen Wiig, Val Kilmer, Powers Boothe, Maya Rudolph
Directed by: Jorma Taccone
Music by: Matthew Compton
Written by: Will Forte, John Solomon, Jorma Taccone
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 7, 2010

"The ultimate Tool"

Film Synopsis:

Only one American hero has earned the rank of Green Beret, Navy Seal and Army Ranger. Just one operative has been
awarded 16 purple hearts, three Congressional medals of honor and seven presidential medals of bravery. And only one guy is man enough to still sport a mullet . . . MacGruber! In the 10 years since his fiancée was killed, special op MacGruber has sworn off a life of fighting crime with his bare hands. But when he learns that his country needs him to find a nuclear warhead that's been stolen by his sworn enemy, Dieter Von Cunth, MacGruber figures he's the only one tough enough for the job.

My Take:

The mullet/vest wearing MacGruber, once a decorated government operative with a go-to-guy reputation has been out of the game for years and believed by many to be dead. The truth is he dropped out of sight after the death of his wife at their wedding at the hands of his arch nemesis, Dieter Von Cunth. Cunth has recently resurfaced and hijacked a nuclear warhead with diabolical intentions. MacGruber's old boss Colonel James Faith and his latest protégé Lt. Piper track MacGruber down at a monastery to enlist his aid due to his extensive knowledge and personal background with Cunth. MacGruber agrees to come back but refuse to work with Lt. Piper who he considers wet behind the ears. He assembles his own team but has to reconsider after an unfortunate incident obliterates them. He ultimately teams up with his one time assistant turned singer/songwriter Vicki St. Elmo, and Lt. Piper. Together they go in search of the elusive Cunth and become embroiled in a series of confrontations with his minions before coming face to face with him. The final showdown will require teamwork and MacGruber's special talents in order to diffuse the situation and bring Cunth to justice. The trouble is the variable's are many and our hero's an inept nincompoop with a strange idea of how best to use a stalk of celery. Meanwhile the fate of Washington hangs in the balance..

Let me start off by saying that as an SNL fan who got a kick out of the MacGruber shorts that parody the MacGyver TV series I looked forward to seeing what a full length movie based upon them would be like. Knowing writer/star Will Forte's penchant for buffoonery and inappropriateness I went into this with guarded and low expectations. Even with that I found MacGruber to be asinine, over the top and crass. I watched the Unrated version which adds three plus minutes to the theatrical cut. I suspect much of that only elongates some of the more ridiculous sequences and adds little. The script is essentially a conglomeration of gags and situational humor that plays out very much in an in your face comedic style. There is no doubt that this hinges on the film's premise which is derived from a skit that never runs more than a couple of minutes. It isn't conceptually clever or substantially worthwhile however there are moments that it just cracked me up. Ryan Phillippe steals the show as the straight man and only one who sees MacGruber for the terrific bungler that he is. That isn't to suggest that Forte, Wiig, Boothe or Kilmer aren't worthy of note because each adds their share of facetious gayety which makes this film more tolerable that it would be otherwise. So the question of the day is whether or not MacGruber is worth seeing? The answer from me is, that depends. If you can tolerate its thinly veiled plot that relies on over the top situational humor and crass laden gags you may find that there are entertaining performances and laughs to be found (my take). Otherwise MacGruber will be nothing more than an insipid, annoying attempt at comedy/action that is best left on the shelf.

Parental Guide:

The film contains strong crude and sexual content, violence, language, and some nudity.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 90

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Video: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

MacGruber comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal HE featuring 1080p VC-1 encoded video that has an average bitrate of 23 Mbps mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.6 mbps.

MacGruber looks excellent on Blu-ray Disc and features reference quality imagery that exhibits high level detail, razor sharpness and exquisite definition that brings out lifelike textures captured by the camera's lens. Dimensional perspective has a near infinite appeal that can be visually stimulating. Close ups are noticeably refined and revealing of the subtlest details within facial features and objects within the frame. Mid level camera pans are equally enriching and offer excellent depth and dimension. Colors are appreciably delineated with natural rendering and punchy primaries that stand out among the remaining spectrum of secondary hues. Fleshtones are rendered with vivid tonality and discerning complexional depiction. Contrast is bold applied without overstatement as it enlivens colors and drives whites with washing away detail. Blacks are rich, gradationally strong and dynamic which makes them pop nicely during sequences containing a mix of light and dark elements. Detail in uneven light and darkened environments reveal visible shapes and structure in backgrounds. This is a rewarding and pristine encoding that looks great in high definition.

The DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio soundtrack makes regular use of the entire system and delivers near reference quality audio. This is a well balanced and active soundtrack that features deep, pulsating bass that reaches far into the room to augment the dynamic impact associated with the films action based elements and music. The surround channels are actively engaged with a blend of discretely placed sounds and spatial ambience that weaves an aurally stimulating sound field that traverses the room. Dynamic range is extended and augments the high level of sonic detail present in the recording. I never had any trouble discerning subtle vocal inflections or the presence of low level sounds that were mixed into the background. The mix facilitates seamless integration of the front rear channels and creates a stable and well proportioned listening experience that is complimented by rich, room resonating bass that has excellent palpability and tight extension.

Bonus Features:

• Theatrical and Unrated versions of the film

• Feature commentary with Will Forte, John Solomon, Jorma Taccone

• (HD) Gag reel - 8 minutes

• (HD) Deleted scene

• pocket BLU: Experience Blu-ray in an exciting new way with the pocket BLU app for the iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Blackberry, Android, PC and Macintosh computers to work seamlessly with a network-connected Blu-ray player

• BD-Live enabled

• D-Box Motion Code enabled

Final Thoughts:

Based on the short SNL Skit of the same name which is a parody of the MacGyver TV series, MacGruber isn't conceptually clever or substantially worthwhile as a feature film. I found its conglomeration of crass gags and over the top situational humor to be overtly silly but occasionally hilarious. As a fan of the SNL skit I was probably more tolerant of its shortcomings but that may not be the case for everyone. While the film may be a swing and a miss its presentation on Blu-ray Disc release from Universal HE knocks it out of the park with stellar high definition video quality and room shaking DTS-HD Master Audio surround sound. The bonus supplements consist of an audio commentary, deleted scene and gag reel none of which prove overly interesting. If you're a fan this is worth picking up. If you're curious a rental should suffice.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-05-2010, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Nice review Ralph. I wasn't expecting this film to get such a high video score. I'm surprised to see that. I am definitely looking forward to seeing this one.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-05-2010, 04:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Sure but why would one want to sit through it?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #4 of 14 Old 09-05-2010, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 35
This has gotta be the quintessential demo disc for all the LFE bassheads out there like myself. Just going off of the skits on the show. Considering that he always blows himself up after a minute, you stretch all those explosions out over an entire feature film and it should make for 1 serious kick ass demo disc. Sure you have WOTW, Cloverfield, and many others, but with this you should have those visceral LFE moments through out the ENTIRE FILM! Not just for a couple of scenes every now and then. But every minute or so. Can't wait to get my copy.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #5 of 14 Old 09-06-2010, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I didn't find the SNL MacGruber skits all that funny so I'll be passing on the vid.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-06-2010, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Ralph,

While I agree the about the presentation, I have to disagree on the film. It's one of the worst I've ever seen, but maybe you have more patience than me given your advanced age

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #7 of 14 Old 09-06-2010, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Ralph,

While I agree the about the presentation, I have to disagree on the film. It's one of the worst I've ever seen, but maybe you have more patience than me given your advanced age

Greetings,

Older but certainly wiser my friend..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #8 of 14 Old 09-06-2010, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 69
You're probably right. Who am I to argue with my elder

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #9 of 14 Old 09-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Liked: 85
post #10 of 14 Old 09-07-2010, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weber View Post

You guys are MacGoobers

LOL!

As funny as this movie was i think it's good for a rental. Some of the scenes just made me gag. Great score though.
post #11 of 14 Old 09-08-2010, 06:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Thanks for the review Ralph looking forward in receiving this soon.

Frank

post #12 of 14 Old 09-20-2010, 06:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Finally received my copy tonight will be looking forward in watching this.

Frank

post #13 of 14 Old 09-22-2010, 09:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Wasnt too bad, have to admit did not laugh as much but there were some scenes that made me laugh. The aq is tops on this one I loved the music and his car stereo ( I remember those types )

Frank

post #14 of 14 Old 10-05-2010, 08:36 PM

I saw this one last week. The Blu-ray audio and video quality were very good. Well, at least the first half, because that was all I could bear to watch. Idiotic.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Macgruber Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page