Studio and Year: Disney - 2010
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 116 minutes
Genre: Action/Adventure

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French DTS 5.1, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Jake Gyllenhaal, Ben Kingsley, Gemma Arterton, Alfred Molina
Directed by: Mike Newell
Music by: Harry Gregson-Williams
Written by: Boaz Yakin, Doug Miro, Carlo Bernard
Region Code: 1

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 14, 2010

"Defy the future"

Film Synopsis:

In the spirit of the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy, Walt Disney Pictures and Jerry Bruckheimer Films transport you to the mystical lands of Persia for this wildly entertaining, epic action-adventure. Its a race against time when a rogue prince (Jake Gyllenhaal) reluctantly teams up with a rival princess (Gemma Arterton) to safeguard a magical dagger that gives its possessor the power to reverse time and rule the world.

My Take:

Based on the popular video game Prince of Persia: Sands of time is an action adventure built around the story of a young prince, Dastan, who is not of noble descent who becomes an unwitting pawn in the theft of a powerful mystical weapon, The Dagger of Time, that has the ability to shift time (up to one minute) backward. After Dastan and his brothers are led to believe that the neighboring holy city of Alamut is supplying weapons to their enemies they storm/tak the city and capture its young princess, Tamina. During the assault on the city Dastan inadvertently comes into possession of the Dagger of time considering it only as keepsake/memento. Afterward he is framed in the assassination of his adopted father, King Sharaman of Persia. Dastan, along with princess Tamina manages to escape and goes into hiding while speculating about who/why he was setup. It is while he is on the run with Tamina that he learns of the Dagger's power, the true meaning behind it and the treachery that has befallen him. Together they set out on a quest to return to Alamut in an attempt to return the Dagger and thwart the impending cataclysm should they fail.

I have seen several films based upon video games and while some are better than others none are cinematic marvels. I am not familiar with the game so I went into this with no expectations one way or the other. With Jerry Bruckheimer behind it is a big budget affair with flamboyant visuals, large set pieces and epic aspirations. The film comes up short with an elementary plot, underplayed romance and compelling but repetitive action. Regardless I still found it to be a fun, mildly entertaining action/adventure film that when coupled with its superb Blu-ray Disc presentation from Disney easily qualifies as a decent popcorn flick.

Parental Guide:

For intense sequences of violence and action.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 92

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Prince of Persia: Sands of time comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.8 Mbps.

This is an excellent video presentation that boasts plenty of high level detail, deeply saturated colors, and three dimensional visuals. Fleshtones are a little on the warm side but are naturally depicted. Blacks are velvety and dynamic with punchy contrast and delineated detail in low lighting and shadows. Images on my large screen appear punchy, boldly colorful, and clearly drawn. A light sprinkling of grain provides a filmic texture that caps off a solid high definition presentation from Disney.

The DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio soundtrack is demonstration quality and is sure to please those who like to play their systems loud. This recording has wide dynamic range and boasts superlative clarity and high level detail. Dialogue is definitive and appreciably lucid through the center channel as it reaches far into the room. It's located just slightly in front of the left/right speakers within the acoustic space it occupies in the soundfield. I never had any trouble distinguishing even the slightest changes in the pitch or inflection of voices. Front channel separation and imaging was excellent. This drew out both large and small sound elements and allowed their directional correlation based upon the onscreen events to be definable. The mix makes effective and often use of the surround channels to extend the front soundstage and reproduce the spatial and discrete sounds of this sometimes aggressive soundtrack. This is a dynamically strong sound mix that utilizes low frequency effects to provide viscerally potent bass response that energizes the room.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) CineExplore: The Sands of time - An icon activated interactive feature that lets users access over forty production featurettes that amount to nearly two hours of behind the scenes material that include interviews, stunts, special effects, shooting locations and more while watching the film. One caveat, there is no direct access to these features from the disc's main menu. Once the Sands of time feature is activated and the film begins pressing the pop-up menu allows access to an index where the individual features (called Rewind segments can be viewed separately).

• (HD) Deleted Scene

• (HD) Sneak Peeks: The Sorcerer's Apprentice, Fantasia/Fantasia 2000, The Lion King, Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2, A Christmas Carol, Tron Legacy and Toy Story 3

• Bonus DVD of Prince of Persia: Sands of time

• Digital Copy of Prince of Persia: Sands of time

Final Thoughts:

Based upon the video game Prince of Persia: Sands of time is an action/adventure film that boasts flamboyant visuals, large set pieces and high production values. Unfortunately its noticeably shallow script and compelling but repetitive action relegate it to little more than a worthwhile popcorn flick. Those on the fence about the film may be lured in by its superlative high definition presentation from Disney on Blu-ray Disc. It offers eye popping visuals and reference quality DTS-HD Master Audio surround sound. The bonus supplements look behind the scenes and compliment the source material via a Blu-ray enhanced interactive feature that is only accessible while watching the film. If you're a fan this makes for a technically strong and demonstration worthy addition to your collection, otherwise throw it in your rental queue and take it for a spin.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 09-07-2010, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Agree about the shallow script but Gemma Arterton is in it! Definitely be collecting this one.
post #3 of 43 Old 09-07-2010, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Definitely looking forward to renting "Prince of Persia" as it should look and sound great on blu-ray.
I'm hoping it is on par with "Clash of the Titans" which I enjoyed.
Thanks Ralph for the review.
post #4 of 43 Old 09-07-2010, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Much better than I expected and Ralph is right about the presentation...it's outstanding!

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #5 of 43 Old 09-07-2010, 05:27 PM

Sounds outstanding!!! I didn't get the chance to see it in theater.

Great review Ralph...
post #6 of 43 Old 09-07-2010, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Is this movie even worth watching? I heard it was HORRIBLE.

4.5 for LFE though might make it worth it.

Twitter @ Clefoodandbrews

post #7 of 43 Old 09-07-2010, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgillyjcu View Post

Greetings,

You can read the review to get my answer..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #8 of 43 Old 09-07-2010, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgillyjcu View Post

IMO it's far from horrible. While the plot is shallow (as Ralph alludes to), the action is intense, the stunts are over-the-top (it's a video game...duh), and there's some pretty funny humor with Alfred Molina. It's at least worth a rental but I bet it gets watched more than a few times by my kids.

David Vaughn

post #9 of 43 Old 09-07-2010, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Really looking forward to this one. I have read that is an average movie with great video and audio quality which is the case here. After a dismal August with a lot of bad or mediocre new movies I am excited about the fourth quarter releases. Looks like there will be 1 big title being released every week starting from September 14th onward.
post #10 of 43 Old 09-07-2010, 09:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Spot on review as always, Ralph. I saw this in the theater and thought it was so-so. At home, with no expectations, I thought it was a lot of fun with a magically good Blu-Ray video and audio presentation. Alfred Molina is very funny as an early, Middle Eastern Tea Party member who hates taxes and loves to con people. Gemma Arterton is a vision to behold. If you want to show your family and friends a good time, try this. If you have to be serious, show them "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" Blu-Ray, which will fry their minds until they are well done.
post #11 of 43 Old 09-08-2010, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Jake Gyllenhaals acting in this was making me cringe the entire movie, truly awful.
V&A Excellent.
post #12 of 43 Old 09-08-2010, 06:15 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Im looking forward in getting this one. Thanks for the review Ralph

Frank

post #13 of 43 Old 09-08-2010, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Let the fall releases begin!

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #14 of 43 Old 09-08-2010, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Ralph, your final thoughts pretty much summed it up well. I got dragged to this in the theater and after seeing Clash of the Titans earlier in the year I thought here we go again. I didn't know it was based on a video game until after I saw it although I don't think it would have made any difference. As soon as I found out it was a JerryB movie I knew what I was in store for - big visuals (lots of CGI and wire work), big thundering sound and as it turned out a decent soundtrack by Harry Gregson-Williams. I guess it was the repetitive action that wore me down and after 116 minutes I was ready for it to end. I will rent it for another look, it may fare better in a home theater environment as some movies do.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #15 of 43 Old 09-08-2010, 10:55 AM

Since, I am a fan of the Prince of Persia video games, I am curious to see how this game transitions as a movie. As mentioned previously, most video game based movies don't fair well overall, but from what I have heard this film maybe one of the better ones.

I also love the early Shaw Brothers kung-fu movies with basically all have shallow plots and lots of action, so PoP will probably be right up my alley!
post #16 of 43 Old 09-10-2010, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Watched this tonight. Not a bad movie by any stretch of the imagination. Awesome DTS-HD MA audio track along with some razor sharp picture quality. I liked it better than Clash of the Titans which is a similar movie to Prince of Persia.
post #17 of 43 Old 09-13-2010, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundnexx View Post

Since, I am a fan of the Prince of Persia video games, I am curious to see how this game transitions as a movie. As mentioned previously, most video game based movies don't fair well overall, but from what I have heard this film maybe one of the better ones.

I also love the early Shaw Brothers kung-fu movies with basically all have shallow plots and lots of action, so PoP will probably be right up my alley!

Be prepared for disappointment. It's about as good as watching the demo version of a video game where it plays itself, and not a very good one at that.

While Gemma is certainly good eye candy as the "Spray-On Tan" princess, she comes across almost exactly like Rachel Weisz's "stock comedic English schoolmarm" character in "The Mummy" remake, as if she watched that movie just before going to the casting sessions.

When a film reduces the acting talents of Sir Ben Kingsley and Alfred Molina, two fine British thespians (Kingsley won the Oscar for "Gandhi"), to that of high school freshmen drama newbies you know you have a stinker of a script and an equally good director having a really bad few months on your hands.

The oh-so mystical time dagger even had a type of video game joy-stick "fire" button on the hilt that you push to activate the "magic!" I saw that and nearly busted a gut laughing.

I cringed, I groaned, I almost got up and demanded my money back. Almost. Too bad for me, but I was in a large-sized popcorn and soda induced coma at the time and couldn't roust myself out of my seat.

Avoid at all costs. This wanna-be franchise was DOA for Disney.

Thank goodness for our sakes.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #18 of 43 Old 09-13-2010, 05:32 PM
CIH USER

Hopefully I will receive this by the end of the week I'm looking forward to watch this one.

Frank

post #19 of 43 Old 09-14-2010, 10:44 PM

What a turd of a movie. All the dialogue was story story story. Not one ounce of character development. Just boring dagger talk and damn cookie cutter characters. Then, the action sucked. I was actually bored during the action. Just fast cuts and close ups and boring choreography. Plus they dont ever use the daggers powers during fight scenes, when people die - family and friends and colleagues...die. Hmm, nope, lets not use to save are buddies. Coulda had some great action scenes in this movie and they failed.

Alfred Molina's character was just lame. Not even funny for the comedy relief. I actually felt sorry for him that he had to do that part.

Horrible movie

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  

The dumbest thing about the movie is that the dagger is the most powerful weapon on the planet and they just throw it their belt and lose it every 5 minutes. How about a wallet chain thingy? Second, after Ben Kingsly gets his grubby hands on it after chasing it down for the entire damn movie, he puts it on a stand and has it guarded by ONE FREAKING DUDE!!!

"I need it. Buy it. Store it." - Tony Stark
post #20 of 43 Old 09-15-2010, 06:02 AM

Judging from the reviews I think I will wait until it lands in the mark down rack at Wally world.
post #21 of 43 Old 09-15-2010, 09:13 AM

This review and film was what made me realize i need glasses. After seeing this movie and not being able to compare the picture quality with the results from here I went and did an eye exam and I have astigmatism. In five days will enjoy this excellent video presentation and more to come. Thanks
post #22 of 43 Old 09-15-2010, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLUXBURN View Post

This review and film was what made me realize i need glasses. After seeing this movie and not being able to compare the picture quality with the results from here I went and did an eye exam and I have astigmatism. In five days will enjoy this excellent video presentation and more to come. Thanks

Greetings,

Glad to be of help.

Seriously speaking I am happy to hear that you have discovered it and are taking corrective measures. Best of luck and happy viewing!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #23 of 43 Old 09-15-2010, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Great review Ralph!

The soundtrack is fantastic! In terms of the video is great but there are some parts that I felt there was a lot of grain...

Christian

My DVD and Blu Ray collection

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
post #24 of 43 Old 09-15-2010, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post

Great review Ralph!

The soundtrack is fantastic! In terms of the video is great but there are some parts that I felt there was a lot of grain...

Chris,

Grain is part of film

I agree with the audio as well...sounds fantastic with excellent imaging.

David Vaughn

post #25 of 43 Old 09-16-2010, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Watched this last night. I thought, as others have said, the plot left much to be desired. I thought the audio was very good but I didn't think the video was as good as others on here have stated. I didn't think it was as sharp as other top notch blu ray presentations and the golden colors throughout the movie were over the top.
post #26 of 43 Old 09-17-2010, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I agree Ralph, the flesh tones did skew a little towards orange and red.

Beautiful picture and sound. This one really shines. Reference picture IMO. Great contrast, super sharp and wide array of colors. Sound was almost equally impressive, very clear dialogue and excellent sound placement and dynamics.

As for the film itself, I liked it. I didn't love it, but it was definately worth the time. I happen to like almost anything that Jerry Bruckheimer works on. He really is the king of the summer blockbuster. Just look at his list of films sometime. Dang!

I'm also a BIG fan of Jake Gyllenhaal as an actor, ever since I first saw the film "October Sky" (highly recommended by the way, came out in 1999). He did a good job in this film, and mostly looked the part. However, if they are going to have an American looking lead for a film like this, may as well drop the phony accects. The accents were the single most distracting part of the film for me. They were unneccesary and not that good. I wish they would have been dropped.

The second most distracting part of the film was the chaotic cut scenes during the action sequences. WAYYYY too many cuts and cameras.

The romance was o.k., but the chemistry was never fully there and more of a casual flirtation. Some of the characters were a little too quirky too. The ending came around nicely and left the film on a good note, and a feeling of completion. All in all, a good film that I would recommend, but not with great enthusiasm.

PQ: 5 out of 5, SQ 4.5 out of 5, and Film 3.5 out of 5

Dan
post #27 of 43 Old 09-18-2010, 08:18 AM

My only problem with the film

Spoiler  

The minute I saw Ben Kingsly I knew who the real villain was, the same villain he played in Thunderbird's.

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman"

post #28 of 43 Old 09-18-2010, 10:05 AM
CIH USER

Thoroughly enjoyed this one!!

Frank

post #29 of 43 Old 09-21-2010, 12:56 PM

Anyone experiencing DTS HD MA audio dropouts as suggested in this thread?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...242502&page=12

Regards,
Arian!
post #30 of 43 Old 09-21-2010, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimson View Post

Anyone experiencing DTS HD MA audio dropouts as suggested in this thread?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...242502&page=12

Regards,
Arian!

Nope. Are you?
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Prince Of Persia The Sands Of Time Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Prince by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page