Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 09-08-2010, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
attachment.php?attachmentid=184528&d=1283285684
The Review at a Glance: ( max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373697

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373697

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: CBS - 1959/60
MPAA Rating: Not Rated
Feature running time: 933 minutes
Genre: TV Sci-Fi

Disc Format: BD-50 (5 Disk Set)
Encoding: VC-1 (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.33:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Uncompressed PCM Mono
Subtitles: English
Starring: Rod Serling, Anne Francis, Burgess Meredith, Claude Akins, Ida Lupino, Jack Klugman, Martin Landau, Roddy McDowall, Ted Knight, Ron Howard
Directed by: Alvin Ganzer, Douglas Heyes, John Brahm, Mitchell Leisen, Richard L. Bare
Music by: Van Cleave, Bernard Herrmann, Fred Steiner, Jerry Goldsmith
Written by: Rod Serling, Charles Beaumont, Richard Matheson
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 14, 2010

"There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man"
- Rod Sterling

Film Synopsis:

All 36 episodes of the first season of Rod Serling’s classic, groundbreaking series, now presented in pristine high-definition for the first time ever, along with hours of new and exclusive bonus features not available anywhere else!

My Take:

You know that saying, "They just don't make em' like they used to", well The Twilight Zone is the perfect example. Can you believe this aired on TV over 50 years ago??--Without the aid of 100 million dollar budgets, Megan Fox in a thong and 100 computer whiz's CGI-ing anything imaginable; almost every episode in this set (OK they were a few stinkers) blows most of todays films/TV series out of the water. Even though they are Black and White, have limited rudimentary special effects and sets, and are under 30 minutes in length, they have what is missing from most of the generic slop we are force fed today, amazing plots and great acting. PS M. Night... Serling owned the big twist ending 40 years before you!

These bizarre tales of science fiction, suspense and horror by creator Rod Serling and his band of master storytellers connect to the viewer because they understood and utilized the most basic foundation a story needs, a connection to the human condition. Whether it is the avid, almost addicted reader who ends up having all the time in the world to read after being the only survivor of a nuclear war; Or the man who ends up visiting his childhood home after 20 years, finds himself to be back in time and meeting a child version of himself. These episodes seemed to connect somewhere in our psyche and through the bizarre fifth dimension we found a bit of humanity lurking around every Monster, Martian or out of this world event.attachment.php?attachmentid=185213&d=1283996635

I was born in the mid 70's, over ten years past then last season of The Twilight Zone so, when I was old enough to see a few episodes I was 20 years late. It seemed cheesy and old to me...and cmon now, it was Black and White...bhech! (I don't think that now! I was 9 in '83) I never gave The Twilight Zone a fair chance. I saw 1983's Twilight Zone: The Movie and thought it was OK but it never resonated with me as a little kid.

My older brother became a fan of The Twilight Zone in the early 2k's, collecting all the series on DVD. He told me how great it was but I never bothered to reinvest my time. When I found out this was coming for review, I told him about it and made sure he would come over when I threw it in. We chose his 6 favorite episodes of Season 1 and gave it a spin. I went into this set figuring I would just watch those and have feel enough for the show. Guess what?? I kept going, and in 4 days I watched the whole first season. I cant recommended this first season of The Twilight Zone enough. Just be warned it is a bit dated... but is great storytelling ever 'dated'?

Parental Guide:

Not Rated. Some Mild Violence and Adult Themes

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 82

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373694

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373698

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373697

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373697

Video: 84

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373697

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373698

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373698

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373696

'The Twilight Zone: Season 1' comes to Blu-ray Disc from Image Entertainment & CBS featuring 1080p VC-1 encoded video that has an average bitrate of 18.2 mbps and uncompressed PCM mono sound that has an constant bitrate of 1.53 mbps

attachment.php?attachmentid=185214&d=1283996635

Image Entertainment mastered 'The Twilight Zone: Season 1' Blu-ray from a new 1080p transfers using original film negatives and soundtrack. The black level and shadow details are surprisingly strong and detailed. There is something about the black and white that helps give this naturally grainy, slightly noisy and at times imperfect 35mm source a nice pop off the screen. Don't get me wrong, the grain and small amount of random pops and scratches are in the source and this new transfer squeezes every bit of detail out of what was available. I can't see this looking any better, though it can never reach reference quality. The uncompressed mono audio is the same way. The dynamics can get a bit off as the relationship between dialogue/effects/score are not completely fluid. Not that they are bad or even stick-out as a sore thumb, they actually sound fitting to the time periods sound design. Surprisingly I never had an issue making out dialogue or any part of the mix. The audio sure is clear and tonally acceptable, though never having deep low end or the refinement we are so spoiled with these days. I found it more enjoyable and a bit more clear then the original mastered audio which as also included. I bet 'The Twilight Zone' has never sounded or looked better. Fans will be very happy with this A/V presentation.

The scoring system used weighs things like color, LFE, surround sound and flesh-tones. These are obvious things a Black and White source that has a mono mix wont have. In all fairness, it would be wrong for that to give this a super low score, so I balanced out where I think this should be rated by padding those categories.

Episodes:

• Where Is Everybody?, One for the Angels, Mr. Denton on Doomsday, Sixteen Millimeter Shrine, Walking Distance, Escape Clause, The Lonely, Time Enough at Last, Perchance to Dream, Judgment Night, And When the Sky Was Opened, What You Need, The Four of Us Are Dying, Third from the Sun, I Shot an Arrow into the Air, The Hitch-Hiker, The Fever, The Last Flight, The Purple Testament, Elegy, Mirror Image, The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street, A World of Difference, Long Live Walter Jameson, People Are Alike All Over, Execution, The Big Tall Wish, A Nice Place to Visit, Nightmare as a Child, A Stop at Willoughby, The Chaser, A Passage for Trumpet, Mr. Bevis, The After Hours, The Mighty Casey, A World of His Own

Bonus Features:

• Audio Commentaries with Actors Earl Holliman, Martin Landau, Rod Taylor, Martin Milner, Kevin McCarthy, and CBS executive William Self

• 19 new audio commentaries, featuring The Twilight Zone Companion author Marc Scott Zicree, author and film historian Gary Gerani (Fantastic Television), author and music historian Steven C. Smith (A Heart at Fire's Center: The Life and Music of Bernard Herrmann), music historians John Morgan and William T. Stromberg, writer/producer David Simkins (Lois & Clark, Dark Angel), writer Mark Fergus (Children of Men, Iron Man), actor William Reynolds and director Ted Post

• (HD) Extremely rare, never-before-released unofficial Twilight Zone pilot, "The Time Element," written by Rod Serling and hosted by Desi Arnaz

• (HD) Original Unaired Pilot Version of "Where is Everybody?" with Rod Serling's Network Pitch

• Vintage audio recollections with actors Burgess Meredith and Anne Francis, directors Douglas Heyes and Richard L. Bare, producer Buck Houghton and writer Richard Matheson

• Interviews with actors Dana Dillaway, Suzanne Lloyd, Beverly Garland and Ron Masak

• 34 isolated music scores featuring Bernard Herrmann, Jerry Goldsmith and others

• 1977 syndication promos for "A Stop at Willoughby" and "The After Hours"

• Vintage audio interview with director of photography George T. Clemens

• Rod Serling audio lectures from Sherwood Oaks College

• Footage of the Emmy Award wins for the series

• Tales of Tomorrow episode "What You Need"

• Rod Serling promos for "Next Week's" Show

• 18 radio dramas

Final Thoughts:

If you enjoyed The Twilight Zone when it originally aired or in syndication you will throughly enjoy this set by Image Entertainment. I would venture to say this will be a welcome upgrade and is a must have for die hards. If you have never seen The Twilight Zone like me, it is very worth a rental. Image Entertainment didn't skimp on us here as this release is jam packed with extras that include all the content from the DVD Definitive Collection, plus new commentaries, interviews, isolated scores and a top quality transfer. Go ahead, take a journey to the... "fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man, It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call The Twilight Zone."
—Rod Serling

attachment.php?attachmentid=157497&d=1257542613

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS35 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Custom 1.3 Gain 128" 2.37:1 CinemaScope Screen
Pioneer SC27 Receiver (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Pioneer Elite BDP-23FD Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Triangle Zerius Speakers (7.1)
SVS PC13-Ultra Subwoofer

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 09-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Greetings,

Thanks Lee. I am a big fan and have watched these episodes countless times..Great stuff.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #3 of 29 Old 09-08-2010, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Thanks Lee for the review. I have this on preorder from DVD Empire.

Matt
post #4 of 29 Old 09-08-2010, 08:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Ouch, kind of pricey. But NetFlix doesn't even have the DVD release of the whole season. I bit on this one.

I can still remember some of these episodes from when I was a kid watching TV, and being scared silly.
post #5 of 29 Old 09-08-2010, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Awesome, glad they made it into Hi Def, Mr. Serling is smiling, I'm sure.

Djoel
post #6 of 29 Old 09-09-2010, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I had just turned twelve years old in February of 1960. And our family was about to leave the United States to go live in Paris, France for 3 years. You'd think I'd have been looking forward to it (it was incredibly fabulous actually). But by that February, I had seen enough episodes of The Twilight Zone's 1st season to almost wish I wasn't going.

The memories are so vivid ... the anticipation of the next episode ... sitting in front of our B&W TV in southwestern Georgia ... it was pure CBS/Serling magic.

It'll be great to revisit all that.

Hank Brown

"Being at the right place at the right time is purely a function of being at the right place a lot."

JPEG's of my Home Theater.
post #7 of 29 Old 09-09-2010, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
God I love The Twilight Zone.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #8 of 29 Old 09-09-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Awesome, glad they made it into Hi Def, Mr. Sterling is smiling, I'm sure.

Djoel

He may not be be smiling that you misspelled his name!!

Anyways I have The Twilight Zone The Complete Definitive Collection set which is all 5 seasons over 28 discs which itself is excellent video quality, so I am on the fence on picking this up.

The rare pilot with Rod Serling and Desi Arnaz sounds interesting however and the added bonuses that are not in the original set may make it worth it.

I have some screenshots from the BluRay set if anyone is interested.

Code:
http://s817.photobucket.com/albums/zz97/Kradswodahs/Twilight%20Zone%20Season%201%20BluRay%20HD%20Screenshots/
post #9 of 29 Old 09-09-2010, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icehouse View Post

He may not be be smiling that you misspelled his name!!

Anyways I have The Twilight Zone The Complete Definitive Collection set which is all 5 seasons over 28 discs which itself is excellent video quality, so I am on the fence on picking this up.

The rare pilot with Rod Serling and Desi Arnaz sounds interesting however and the added bonuses that are not in the original set may make it worth it.

I have some screenshots from the BluRay set if anyone is interested.

Code:
http://s817.photobucket.com/albums/zz97/Kradswodahs/Twilight%20Zone%20Season%201%20BluRay%20HD%20Screenshots/

Hm I corrected that 20 minutes before your post, either we're stuck in the Twilight Zone or you're a slow writer

DJoel
post #10 of 29 Old 09-09-2010, 04:06 PM

Liked: 17
Loved this show as a kid, love it even more as an adult! Zone in Blu-ray = must own.

Also, bonus points for taking a pot shot at M. Night StickaforkinmeI'mdone.
post #11 of 29 Old 09-09-2010, 05:14 PM

Lee, Thanks for another great review!
I think I am going to order this one tonight I had recorded most of the shows years ago on VHS off of KTLA 5 here in Los Angeles before they were picked up by the Sci-Fi channel.

Then I started picking up the DVD's when they were released by CBS Video about 10 years ago but they were released out of sequence.

Then three years ago picked up the definitive set, so i guess I am triple-dipping at this point.
post #12 of 29 Old 09-09-2010, 05:16 PM

Djoel I think it's a combination thing half TZ and half slow typing my personal assistant is much quicker at typing than I am .. so in the future I will use her..
post #13 of 29 Old 09-10-2010, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

It's been a while since i've seen TZ. I think i'm going to revisit this for old time sake. Great write up Lee!

Cheers
post #14 of 29 Old 09-10-2010, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icehouse View Post

Djoel I think it's a combination thing half TZ and half slow typing my personal assistant is much quicker at typing than I am .. so in the future I will use her..

Sweet I wish I had a personal assistant but that might really take turn to the T zone for sure..So it might be best, I stay grounded and avoid any strangeness.

Djoel
post #15 of 29 Old 09-10-2010, 08:00 AM

Love this show.
post #16 of 29 Old 09-10-2010, 03:04 PM

The TZ is essential watching for those who love SciFi (or speculative fiction if you're nasty). So much modern story telling is derived from those early works. Serling himself is a master.
post #17 of 29 Old 09-10-2010, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Would love to give this a rent. I have never seen it except for the gremlin episode where they are in the air on a plane, but everyone including my father says its a great show. I wish I could rent the Blu-rays, but it looks like neither Blockbuster or Netflix has the Blu-rays available to rent (at least not yet).
post #18 of 29 Old 09-14-2010, 03:12 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

I still prefer the Night Gallery.. But the story telling & writing was clearly superior on the TW.. But the Waiting room.. Question of fear.. Would give any TW episode a run for it's money..

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
post #19 of 29 Old 09-14-2010, 03:14 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

& was a fan of the TW since elemntry school.. Could watch them over & over again.. Just a great series that will Never be passed.. It capured the human element like no other series.. Day 1 purchase..Easy..

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
post #20 of 29 Old 09-17-2010, 09:21 PM

FYI, disc 1 would not play on my BDP-S350 until I updated the firmware from 07.2.010 to 07.2.020.
post #21 of 29 Old 09-25-2010, 07:11 AM

anyone know what's regarded as the best and worst season
post #22 of 29 Old 09-29-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weber View Post

PS M. Night... Serling owned the big twist ending 40 years before you!

Agreed, but after watching a couple of seasons of the Twilight Zone DVD sets, the big twists start to become predictable because you always know one is coming.

Nevertheless, I still remember the plot twist shock I got watching the episode "The Eye Of The Beholder" as a kid. What a masterful job of setting up the situation then pulling the rug out from under the viewer. (SPOILER ALERT! Don't go looking for info about the episode unless you've either already seen it or never plan to.)
post #23 of 29 Old 10-06-2010, 08:24 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsaints View Post

anyone know what's regarded as the best and worst season

Most consider Season 1 or 2 the best and 4 the worst.

Myself I think 1 (2 is close second) is the best and 5 the worst. For any Fan 1,2 and 3 are essential.

BTW - I like that the case size is very thin, takes up only about a 1/3 of the space compared to the DVD Season 1 set. Kudos to Image, I am always glad to reclaim shelf space, especially for a quality product!
post #24 of 29 Old 12-16-2010, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I have an Oppo BDP-83 and would like to buy this set. However, I am concerned about the reports of glitches in this set with other manufacturer's blu-ray players (Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, etc.).

Has anyone with an Oppo BDP-83 had troubles with discs 1 and 4?
post #25 of 29 Old 12-16-2010, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

Has anyone with an Oppo BDP-83 had troubles with discs 1 and 4?

All discs and content played flawlessly here. One of the 1st sets sold at Amazon.
post #26 of 29 Old 12-18-2010, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

All discs and content played flawlessly here. One of the 1st sets sold at Amazon.

Thanks! May I ask, what firmware you are using please? Is it the latest beta (Aug, 2010) or the last official firmware?
post #27 of 29 Old 12-18-2010, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

Thanks! May I ask, what firmware you are using please? Is it the latest beta (Aug, 2010) or the last official firmware?

At the time that I watched TZ, I was probably using 0816.
post #28 of 29 Old 12-18-2010, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks! Going to go for this set--love TZ! (even have a TZ Pinball). I've also found the TZ Companion book to be really worthwhile as well.
post #29 of 29 Old 06-07-2011, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

As an FYI: Just in case someone out there wants to pick these up. All of the available seasons (1 - 4) are on sale at my local Costco for $44 this week, which is less than the current Amazon's prices.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
The Twilight Zone The Complete Series Blu Ray , The Twilight Zone Season 1 Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page