It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: Season Five (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-17-2010, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 685
attachment.php?attachmentid=185380&d=1284127986
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373692

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2009
MPAA Rating: NR
Feature running time: 254 minutes
Genre: TV Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Dolby Stereo
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French, Portuguese
Starring: Danny DeVito, Charlie Day, Kaitlin Olsen, Glenn Howerton, Rob McElhenney
Music by: Cormac Bluestone
Written by: Glenn Howerton, Rob McElhenney, Charlie Day & various
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 14, 2010

"A circle of jerks"

Film Synopsis:

Hey-oh! It’s time for another round of outrageousness as the irrepressible gang at Paddy’s Irish Pub returns—more rude, crude, dysfunctional, and downright hilarious than ever before in “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” Season Five. From Internet dating and in-vitro fertilization to an uproarious road trip to the Grand Canyon, Season Five is loaded with seductions, interventions, back-stabbings, and beat-downs.

My Take:

We regularly watch It’s always sunny in Philadelphia and get a kick out of the nonsensical escapism provided by Mac, Dennis, Charlie, Dee and Frank. For those not familiar with the show here is a quick synopsis:

It’s always sunny in Philadelphia follows the exploits of five depraved underachievers who run Paddy's Pub, a dive of a bar located in south Philly. They are dishonest, egotistical, greedy, unethical, lazy, arrogant, and antagonistic, and are often embroiled in controversial issues. Each show usually features a combination of their elaborate money making schemes, conspiring against one another ( but usually against others) for personal gain or participating is activities that have little bearing on real life but serve only to enhance their sometimes sadistic and nonsensical values. Their tactics can often rely on the infliction of emotional or physical pain (or a combination of both) depending on their rather unique perspective based on the target. Loyalty isn’t high among their priorities as any of them would sell their soul or each other for personal gain. Lastly there seems to be an incessant interpersonal rivalry that sometimes fuels the gang’s actions.

Season five proves the show hasn’t lost any of its luster and contains some classic bits, typically outrageous antics and over the top inanity of the sort that makes It’s always sunny in Philadelphia such a guilty pleasure. Here are a few personal favorites; the hidden labyrinth below the ballpark, and Charlie and the Phillie Phanatic in “The World Series Defense”, The bachelorette party in “The waitress is getting married”, “The gang wrestles for the troops” (entire episode), “Paddy’s Pub: Home of the original Kitten Mittens” (entire episode), Honey and Vinegar Realty and Dee’s meeting with the prospective adoptive parents in “The gang exploits the mortgage crisis”, or any scene involving Charlie and the attorney. Of course these are just to name a few as there is fun to be had by all throughout season five especially if you enjoy the show’s risqué humor and nonsensical theme. Season Five’s twelve episodes are divided equally over two BD-50 dual layered Blu-ray discs with the majority of bonus features contained on disc two.

Parental Guide:

The show contains graphic language, partial nudity and thematic material that would be inappropriate for younger audiences.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 66

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373647

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373647

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 60

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109942&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

It’s always sunny in Philadelphia: The complete season five comes to Blu-ray Disc from Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 29 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.1 mbps.

Watching the series on FX HD it never looks very good in high definition and from what I see here it looks very much the same. Quite frankly I am not certain why Fox released this on Blu-ray disc since this presentation isn’t true 1080p but is upconverted standard definition. There is a brief snippet/skit with Glenn Howerton/Charlie Day (in character) before the first episode where they jokingly announce that the show is shot in standard definition. The image is generally soft and lacking in resolute definition and sharpness. Colors are not particularly vibrant and appear a tad faded. Skintones are fairly delineated with complexions that are on the pale but natural side. Blacks are not very deep and shadow detail in low level scenes is just average. Video related artifacts such as aliasing and digital noise are kept to a minimum and never prove distracting. Overall this presentation is drab, lackluster and far from anything that resembles high definition. The DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio lossless soundtrack mimics the show’s TV presentation. Dialogue is intelligible with appreciable intonation and vocal distinction among the cast. The soundstage across the front three channels maintains a centrally localized perspective but doesn’t feel compressed or lacking in room penetration. Dynamics are on the anemic side and the lack of low frequency support is notable although based on the show’s elements there is little need for them. The surround channels are used to convey some directional sound effects and mild ambience but the combining of the front and rear sound fields rarely creates a cohesive atmosphere. Overall a pretty unremarkable audio/video presentation.

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1

• Episodes 1-6:

1. The gang exploits the mortgage crisis
    2. The gang hits the road – featuring audio commentary with Danny Devite, Rob McElhenney, Charlie Day
    3. The great recession
    4. The gang gives Frank an intervention – featuring audio commentary with Danny Devito & Dr. Drew
    5. The waitress is getting married – featuring audio commentary with Charlie Day, Kaitlin Olson, Glenn Howerton
    6. World Series defense

• (HD) Archer Season One – Pilot episode in 5.1 Dolby Digital (640 kbps)

• Disc 2

• Episodes:

1. The gag wrestles for the troops – featuring audio commentary by Danny Devito, Glenn Howerton, Kaitlin Olson
    2. Paddy’s Pub: Home of the original Kitten Mittens
    3. Mac and Dennis break up – featuring audio commentary by Charlie Day, Rob McElhenney, Dr. Drew
    4. D.E.N.N.I.S
    5. Mac and Dennis write a movie
    6. The gang reignites the rivalry – featuring audio commentary by Charlie Day, Rob McElhenney, Glenn Howerton

• Blooper reel – 8 minutes

• Deleted/extended scenes – 19 minutes

• Kitten Mittens endless loop

• Blu-ray exclusive:

1. The gang’s dating profile – 4 minutes
    2. Schwep dream sequence – 4 minute behind the scenes montage video

Final Thoughts:

It’s always sunny in Philadelphia: The complete fifth season continues in the series tradition of outlandish and over the top comedy that may be lewd and crude but is a hoot nevertheless. Unfortunately this Blu-ray Disc presentation from Fox offers little in the way of sparkling high definition video due to the show being shot in standard definition and upconverted to 1080p. The lossless audio soundtrack makes the most of the show’s originally recorded elements and essentially replicates the broadcast presentation. The middling set of bonus features includes episode specific insights via audio commentary tracks, a blooper reel, extended/deleted scenes and a few Blu-ray disc exclusives that barely raise the bar. Including the entire pilot episode as a plug for the FX animated series "Archer" is a nice touch though. Based upon the quality of the video presentation and average assortment of special features this is a tough recommendation over the standard definition version. If you can nab it at a good price I would say go for it otherwise the DVD should suffice. Enjoy.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2010, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for that Ralph, been occasionally watching the repeats they run on the comedy channel and always enjoy the stupidity of everyone involved and their dumb schemes.
I will probably start picking up the disks for the seasons when good sales hit then I can enjoy all the guilty fun here any time I want
Old 09-17-2010, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I don't get why they have Ralph rate this series.

It is NOT about technical presentation. Even with their cult following (actually becoming more than a cult) it has kept true to its low budget feel and it doesn't matter! The show is amazing and this is the BEST season. Season 6 started with a fizzle this week but even the best will miss sometimes.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

I don't get why they have Ralph rate this series.

It is NOT about technical presentation. Even with their cult following (actually becoming more than a cult) it has kept true to its low budget feel and it doesn't matter! The show is amazing and this is the BEST season. Season 6 started with a fizzle this week but even the best will miss sometimes.

??? You want a review to ignore technical presentation at AVS? Ok...

I've been waiting for someone to review this since I wasn't sure if they started actually shooting the show in HD in season 5 or if the Blu-Ray offerred any advantage over the DVD. Now I know I can get the DVD for $10 cheaper.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Well now that that seems to be cleared up I guess I can save money too and just watch for the DVD versions to go on sale.
Seems like the ones on the comedy channel are HD but I never really bothered to look close enough to tell if it was true HD or just upconverted.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

It's "Phillie Phanatic".
Old 09-17-2010, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJF View Post

??? You want a review to ignore technical presentation at AVS? Ok...

I've been waiting for someone to review this since I wasn't sure if they started actually shooting the show in HD in season 5 or if the Blu-Ray offerred any advantage over the DVD. Now I know I can get the DVD for $10 cheaper.

No... I don't think it makes sense for it to be reviewed is what I said
Old 09-17-2010, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No... I don't think it makes sense for it to be reviewed is what I said

??? So... you didn't say "it is NOT about technical presentation"? ok... My bad.

It doesn't make any sense why it shouldn't be reviewed. What makes this exempt from being reviewed? It's content on a Blu-Ray disc. Seems like it meets all the necessary criteria.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

??? So... you didn't say "it is NOT about technical presentation"? ok... My bad.

It doesn't make any sense why it shouldn't be reviewed. What makes this exempt from being reviewed? It's content on a Blu-Ray disc. Seems like it meets all the necessary criteria.

The review itself was unneeded and not relevant therefor the parameters of the review are in themselves fine but no one watches this show for its audio visual excellence. All I am saying is Ralph's time could be spent in better ways by reviewing programs or movies that actually try to achieve audio/visual levels begetting of our interest.

It's not the end of the world but just saying this review space could be better used and the poor AV score will not stop any buyer from getting it nor would a strong review have played any part on the decision making process. People who like this show like it for the substance and those who don't for the same reason (or lack their of in their opinion)
Old 09-17-2010, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

It's "Phillie Phanatic".

Greetings,

I guess it's obvious I'm not a "Phillie Phan"..

Thanks!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Old 09-17-2010, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I never seen this any of the seasons or the movie, but I do remember reading Blu-ray reviews for the movie that was released on Blu-ray and a lot of people were upset that it was upconverted standard definition material. You think that Fox would have learned their lesson, but they again released this show on Blu-ray as what seems to be upconverted material. To me this is a shame and in a way I feel like this particular studio is just putting it out on Blu-ray so they can get a few extra dollars out of people by pressing Blu-ray copies. This is just very misleading and disappointing that they chose to go this route again. I bet a side by side comparison between the Blu-ray and DVD would not lend off any real difference.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The review itself was unneeded and not relevant therefor the parameters of the review are in themselves fine but no one watches this show for its audio visual excellence. All I am saying is Ralph's time could be spent in better ways by reviewing programs or movies that actually try to achieve audio/visual levels begetting of our interest.

It's not the end of the world but just saying this review space could be better used and the poor AV score will not stop any buyer from getting it nor would a strong review have played any part on the decision making process. People who like this show like it for the substance and those who don't for the same reason (or lack their of in their opinion)

The poor AV score did stop me from getting it on Blu-Ray! You do know this has been released on two formats, right? You don't think some people might want to know if it's worth paying a premium to get this on Blu-Ray? I'll be waiting for the inevitable DVD price drop.

And the notion that Ralph should only review stuff that "try to achieve audio/visual levels begetting of our interest" just sounds completely out there. Yeah... only review the "good stuff"! If the source material isn't up to snuff, no need to look at it. Guess no more Universal catalog titles need to be reviewed...
Old 09-18-2010, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

To me this is a shame and in a way I feel like this particular studio is just putting it out on Blu-ray so they can get a few extra dollars out of people by pressing Blu-ray copies.

I can't figure out what Fox is thinking on this one. The Christmas special must have sold well on Blu-Ray. They abandoned "How I Met Your Mother" on Blu-Ray after releasing one season (season 5 comes out this week - on DVD only), but they'll throw a standard def show with a vastly smaller audience out there? Ok...
Old 09-18-2010, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The poor AV score did stop me from getting it on Blu-Ray! You do know this has been released on two formats, right? You don't think some people might want to know if it's worth paying a premium to get this on Blu-Ray? I'll be waiting for the inevitable DVD price drop.

And the notion that Ralph should only review stuff that "try to achieve audio/visual levels begetting of our interest" just sounds completely out there. Yeah... only review the "good stuff"! If the source material isn't up to snuff, no need to look at it. Guess no more Universal catalog titles need to be reviewed...

I've been considerate and non-confrontational until now which I certainly can't say about you but really... what is your problem? Must you jump to conclusions and look for a fight by extending my logic further than what I stated?

Did I ever say only review "good stuff"? I don't see it? Isn't that a rather large jump in logic from not reviewing items that no one expects to be quality AV (even the producers)? I am simply saying in the ONE situation nearly everyone knew what the outcome would be. We know they shoot in standard def, we know the production value and we know the lack of audio fireworks. Please stop trying to make this a blanket statement or a personal confrontation
Old 09-19-2010, 01:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It stopped me. If your charged a premium for something ....
Old 09-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover2002 View Post

It stopped me.

Likewise. The fact that it's upscaled SD (already suspected and now confirmed) is the only thing that caused it to go from my "buy on BD now" list to my "buy on DVD when it's on sale" list. I definitely want to hear the commentaries, but I can wait.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

It's not the end of the world but just saying this review space could be better used and the poor AV score will not stop any buyer from getting it nor would a strong review have played any part on the decision making process.

I absolutely love this show, it's one of my new favorites. I have all of the previous episodes that were shown on Comedy Central on my DVR, and as Ralph said the video and sound quality are mediocre at best. His review is EXACTLY what stopped me from buying season 5 on Blu-Ray, as I was hoping it would be higher quality than what was broadcast over cable. I respectfully disagree with your point above - keep 'em coming Ralph!

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogPilot View Post

I absolutely love this show, it's one of my new favorites. I have all of the previous episodes that were shown on Comedy Central on my DVR, and as Ralph said the video and sound quality are mediocre at best. His review is EXACTLY what stopped me from buying season 5 on Blu-Ray, as I was hoping it would be higher quality than what was broadcast over cable. I respectfully disagree with your point above - keep 'em coming Ralph!

Okie dokie then... I didn't know people were on the fence with this.

I always assumed this show was crappy AV and accepted that. I guess everyone else held up hope and I was being a downer.

Either way, amazing season and hope everyone enjoys whichever format they chose. I'd probably go DVD as well just to be able to rip it onto a harddrive easier

Tags
Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia The Complete Season 5 Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Its by PriceGrabber.com