Iron man 2 (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 99 Old 10-03-2010, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Make sure you watch it right through the end credits as there is a short bit setting up an upcomming Marvel movie.

Argee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 99 Old 10-03-2010, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

Make sure you watch it right through the end credits as there is a short bit setting up an upcomming Marvel movie.

Yes. I saw that too. Looks interesting.
post #63 of 99 Old 10-03-2010, 07:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I'ma nit-picker and rarely fully agree with many reviews, but this one was perfectly aligned with my own impressions.

The Audio was perfect except for the occasional loss of clarity in dialog. Picture damn good too except for some CGI related issues of softness and some noise.

Nice job!

A few times I felt the bass was going to really test my subs' mettle. Quite intense on a couple occasions.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #64 of 99 Old 10-03-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by croseiv View Post

I take it you didn't like the movie (LOL!).

I'm just getting sick of this annoying trend of CGI just dwarfing action movies and the over reliance of it just sapping all creativity in a movie and basically turning them into giant video games. It's become that story and characters are serving as a complement to the CGI rather than the other way around. For a comic book movie the 1st Ironman was a refreshing change against that but Ironman 2 was so dumbed down that I found it on par with the Fantastic Four movies in terms of character depth and script which was totally unexpected because I thought the sequal would be immune to such laziness.
post #65 of 99 Old 10-04-2010, 06:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

There is a lot of LFE in this.

finally got my copy tonight looking forward in seeing this.

Frank

post #66 of 99 Old 10-04-2010, 07:03 AM

Liked: 10
The audio as stated is pretty intense in a few areas as stated but the movie as a whole was a bit to lacking for me. I never saw it in the theaters so I had no idea what to expect. The first was way better. Still a good addition to my collection though.
post #67 of 99 Old 10-04-2010, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
I just finished watching this movie tonight Franko & quite enjoyed it,
pic/ audio are first rate ..

Cheers..
post #68 of 99 Old 10-04-2010, 07:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema mad View Post

Cheers..

Good to hear

Frank

post #69 of 99 Old 10-04-2010, 07:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justphil View Post

The audio as stated is pretty intense in a few areas as stated but the movie as a whole was a bit to lacking for me. I never saw it in the theaters so I had no idea what to expect. The first was way better. Still a good addition to my collection though.

I haven't seen it either justphil so I'm hoping I'll enjoy it as much as I did the first.

Frank

post #70 of 99 Old 10-04-2010, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema mad View Post

Cheers..

I agree with you cinema mad, I enjoyed it also and the pq and aq were fantastic. I actually liked it better than the first.

Frank

post #71 of 99 Old 10-05-2010, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Nice review Ralph! I watched this one last week and the audio was very impressive...
As some of the other posters I felt that grain and CG, took a few points out of the PQ..
Althought I really enjoy the movie...

Christian

My DVD and Blu Ray collection

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
post #72 of 99 Old 10-09-2010, 08:16 AM

Liked: 16
Okay,i finally found iron man 2. Some stores didn't even have it in stock.
Will i finally got to watch it on blu-ray and my goodness this movie had some powerful bass to it. But the chase scene was awesome! my surrounds were doing there job. I think this will be a demo disk. but as for the movie it was a good a flick for a family night.If you want to see it,i say go for it.!
post #73 of 99 Old 10-10-2010, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Fantastic film!!! Easily lives up to, and in my opinion, surpasses the first. Loved the father/son relationships. (both of them) This added some nice depth, and some credibility to the characters and the reason for why they do what they do.

I thought the "bad guy" was much better in this rendition.

Well placed comedy, and rocking effects and visuals.

The PQ is great, but not quite reference. Very, very close. I think the CG softened things up a little too much in places.

Sound was incredible.

PQ: 4.5 out of 5, SQ: 5 out of 5, Film 4.5 out of 5

Dan
post #74 of 99 Old 10-12-2010, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

My 2 cents worth ... I completely agree with Yosemite Dan relative to the film itself. That's based on seeing it only in a theater (DLP auditorium 11 at Warrington 22 in PA). It was so disappointing there that I haven't even rented the BD ... and won't.

It's all I can do. I've got to put my money (or NOT put my money) where my mouth is. When studios take an opportunity like this and completely squander it, they make no sale with me ... at least after the first mistaken viewing.

Hank Brown

"Being at the right place at the right time is purely a function of being at the right place a lot."

JPEG's of my Home Theater.
post #75 of 99 Old 10-12-2010, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomandan View Post

Fantastic film!!! Easily lives up to, and in my opinion, surpasses the first. Loved the father/son relationships. (both of them) This added some nice depth, and some credibility to the characters and the reason for why they do what they do.

I thought the "bad guy" was much better in this rendition.

Well placed comedy, and rocking effects and visuals.

The PQ is great, but not quite reference. Very, very close. I think the CG softened things up a little too much in places.

Sound was incredible.

PQ: 4.5 out of 5, SQ: 5 out of 5, Film 4.5 out of 5

Dan

I'd give the the movie a 3/5, but I agree with the other ratings. I loved the SQ. Plenty of quality LFE.
post #76 of 99 Old 10-13-2010, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by croseiv View Post

I'd give the the movie a 3/5, but I agree with the other ratings. I loved the SQ. Plenty of quality LFE.

Thanks croseiv.

Any other day, I may have rated it a 4, but this one just caught me in the right mood. Had a great time watching this one.

Dan
post #77 of 99 Old 10-13-2010, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:

Thanks croseiv.

Any other day, I may have rated it a 4, but this one just caught me in the right mood. Had a great time watching this one.

Dan

Greetings,

My reaction to IM2 when I first saw it in the theater was lukewarm. Seeing it again on Blu-ray I found that I enjoyed it more.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #78 of 99 Old 10-13-2010, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

My reaction to IM2 when I first saw it in the theater was lukewarm. Seeing it again on Blu-ray I found that I enjoyed it more.

Regards,

Agreed Ralph. I much prefer watching films at home.

Not to get off topic, but I almost don't look forward to seeing films in the theater anymore. I have to REALLY be anticipating a film to see it in the theater. I think the last time was Avatar, if that says anything. (which thankfully was setup well at the theater) My biggest complaint is the lack of attention to setting up the projection system and screen, and often the sound is way too hot. The focus is typically off, to a degree that it is very distracting to me, among other issues. I'm sure this isn't the case in all areas, but around here it is all too common.

Nothing beats watching a film in our own home on 100+ screens, fantastic digital projectors, great sounding speakers/subs, and a light and temperature controlled environment.

To me, the only benefit to the theater is seeing the film sooner, and that nostalgic feeling that comes along with being in front of the BIG screen in a BIG space and remembering all the other great films you've seen in similar environments.

Dan
post #79 of 99 Old 10-13-2010, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:

Not to get off topic, but I almost don't look forward to seeing films in the theater anymore. I have to REALLY be anticipating a film to see it in the theater. I think the last time was Avatar, if that says anything. (which thankfully was setup well at the theater) My biggest complaint is the lack of attention to setting up the projection system and screen, and often the sound is way too hot. The focus is typically off, to a degree that it is very distracting to me, among other issues. I'm sure this isn't the case in all areas, but around here it is all too common.

Nothing beats watching a film in our own home on 100+ screens, fantastic digital projectors, great sounding speakers/subs, and a light and temperature controlled environment.

To me, the only benefit to the theater is seeing the film sooner, and that nostalgic feeling that comes along with being in front of the BIG screen in a BIG space and remembering all the other great films you've seen in similar environments.

Dan

Greetings,

Dan, my sentiments exactly. I couldn't have said it better my friend.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #80 of 99 Old 10-13-2010, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Just finished watching it. Have to agree with all of the posts on sound quality and LFE, just awesome! I have to admit, picture quality was good but not great, I think you were a tad generous with your score there, Ralph. Overall, I thought the movie was entertaining, but I think the first was better. I'm glad I just rented as I don't think this movie has repeatablilty with me. I think Mickey Rourke was great as the villian. Tell me, what the heck was Scarlett Johansson doing in this movie(her character) other than eye candy?
post #81 of 99 Old 10-14-2010, 03:48 AM

Watched it last weekend. It was an entertaining fun ride that sounded great and looked very good. But the penultimate battle was a huge let down and I think that a big opportunity to take advantage of Mickey Rourke's enormous talent wasn't fully realized. The script could have developed his character with greater psychological depth and played up much more of a battle of wits between Vanko & Stark. Vanko was a good villain but ultimately not a deliciously memorable one. Maybe with a second viewing more nuances in their roles would be forthcoming. Nevertheless, although it didn't generate as much visceral or emotional impact for us as did IM1, it was still a helluva lot of fun to watch...and hear, even without the popcorn.
post #82 of 99 Old 10-14-2010, 05:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike W View Post

Watched it last weekend. It was an entertaining fun ride that sounded great and looked very good. But the penultimate battle was a huge let down and I think that a big opportunity to take advantage of Mickey Rourke's enormous talent wasn't fully realized. The script could have developed his character with greater psychological depth and played up much more of a battle of wits between Vanko & Stark. Vanko was a good villain but ultimately not a deliciously memorable one. Maybe with a second viewing more nuances in their roles would be forthcoming. Nevertheless, although it didn't generate as much visceral or emotional impact for us as did IM1, it was still a helluva lot of fun to watch...and hear, even without the popcorn.

I'm watching this a second time this weekend I thought Mickey Rouke did a fantastic job. My mate told me today to watch till the end of the credits this time I forgot to do that last time.

Frank

post #83 of 99 Old 10-14-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:

I agree that they could of did alot more with the Whiplash character but again studios feel it's necessary to throw in as many villians as possible to muck things up when the Whiplash character was more than enough physically and mentally as a foil to Stark, Instead he was made to look weak and Ironman dispatched of him quite easily in both fights.

They should have portrayed him in the same vein as Doc Ock in Spiderman 2 which was very effective and gave the movie tension because Spidey was shown to be overmatched and in the end was never really defeated by Spidey. SP2 showed that one villian is more than enough if they flesh out the character properly instead of giving the superhero 2 or 3 lightweight villians simply to fill out the marquee. SP 3 made the same mistake and even though it was considered an epic failure for some reason other franchises are following SP3's example with thier sequals. In terms of villians it's definately quality over quantity that counts. The only time that has worked is Nolan's Batman franchise but hopefully his luck doesn't run out with Batman 3.
post #84 of 99 Old 10-14-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I'm watching this a second time this weekend I thought Mickey Rouke did a fantastic job. My mate told me today to watch till the end of the credits this time I forgot to do that last time.

I agree. I think that Rourke did a great job with what he was given to work with. I just wish the screenwriters would have made it a lot meatier role, creating even more depth to Vanko's psychological dark side and making him a lot tougher to vanquish in battle. Rourke easily could have pulled that off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan View Post

...Whiplash character was more than enough physically and mentally as a foil to Stark, Instead he was made to look weak and Ironman dispatched of him quite easily in both fights.

...In terms of villians it's definately quality over quantity that counts. The only time that has worked is Nolan's Batman franchise but hopefully his luck doesn't run out with Batman 3.

Yes, both fights ended too quickly...and relatively easily. Your comment about Nolan makes me think of Dark Knight, and how much depth was given in the script to Ledger's Joker; a phenomenal battle of wits between Joker and Batman with Joker's mind games wreaking havoc right up until the end. With two great actors in Downey and Rourke, wouldn't it have been grand if the writers and director had aimed their sights higher along the lines of Dark Knight.
post #85 of 99 Old 10-15-2010, 07:12 AM

Quote:

Yes, both fights ended too quickly...and relatively easily. Your comment about Nolan makes me think of Dark Knight, and how much depth was given in the script to Ledger's Joker; a phenomenal battle of wits between Joker and Batman with Joker's mind games wreaking havoc right up until the end. With two great actors in Downey and Rourke, wouldn't it have been grand if the writers and director had aimed their sights higher along the lines of Dark Knight.

They should have set thier sights on something higher and meatier but I don't think Favreau and the writers were capable of doing that especially in comparison to the Nolan brothers who are several levels above Favreau and whatever hack writers were involved with the Ironman franchise.
post #86 of 99 Old 10-15-2010, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Loved it. What more do you want in a super hero flick. It had fast cars, beautiful women (I'm looking at you Scarlett; keep that red head green eyes look...), a great soundtrack, very cool special effects and a bad ass villain. In the end, the good guy saves the day and get's his girl. Pure, popcorn flick and it rocked my home theater.

The end fight could have been longer but it was resolved in a decent way that I really didn't see coming. Some of Scarlett's fight scenes were a little jarring in that they hit the uncanny valley for me but when she finished a move and posed for the camera, all that went away; good recovery.

I'm digging this whole, introduce each Avenger with their own movie idea and am looking forward to Thor and Captain America. In the end, Norton's Hulk, these two Iron Man movies and the eventual Avengers movie might be a nice boxed set to own.
post #87 of 99 Old 10-15-2010, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

Dan

+2...not much more to say here lol...
post #88 of 99 Old 10-15-2010, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To me, the only benefit to the theater is seeing the film sooner, and that nostalgic feeling that comes along with being in front of the BIG screen in a BIG space and remembering all the other great films you’ve seen in similar environments.

Dan

Your 100% wrong. The theater is WAY better. I love stepping on sticky, gooey floors and spending on extremely high priced snacks. And what about people yelling at the screen, people on the phone and talking to each other? My fav of all is when sitting next to a stranger with a wonderful, mature case of BO.

Ah, good times.

Evil is Good
post #89 of 99 Old 10-18-2010, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Is it just me or are movies of this style getting more annoying with each release?
I know there's a lot of love for IM2 here but like Sherlock Holmes, I turned it off after 30 minutes and had to re-watch later.
Just so damned contrived and annoying caricatures that really do not do justice to the original comic book characters.

The best part of the film was the final battle scene where all hell is unleashed and not a single person so much as gets their hair mussed except for oh yes, evil Ivan.
C'mon a total wiener-out.
The LFE was pleasingly brutal.

Compare this to Kick-Ass
1/10 the money and 10 times the creativity and entertainment.

Anyone else think that Johansson's wardrobe was specifically designed to uh compress her considerable attributes since she had several scenes and profile shots with Paltrow?
Since so many of you own this, take a look and then compare to internet shots or her other films. It's undeniable. I noticed it immediately.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #90 of 99 Old 11-26-2010, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan View Post

I'm just getting sick of this annoying trend of CGI just dwarfing action movies and the over reliance of it just sapping all creativity in a movie and basically turning them into giant video games. It's become that story and characters are serving as a complement to the CGI rather than the other way around. For a comic book movie the 1st Ironman was a refreshing change against that but Ironman 2 was so dumbed down that I found it on par with the Fantastic Four movies in terms of character depth and script which was totally unexpected because I thought the sequal would be immune to such laziness.

I totally feel you on the CGI, but an action movie like this would be even more expensive (and incredibly dangerous) to create otherwise. But yes, CGI has become to movies what Autotune has become to Pop music. However, I'm not as bothered by the CGI sequences when it's done well and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb (anyone remember "2 Fast 2 Furious"?)
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Iron Man 2 Three Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page