Feature running time: 110/114 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect:
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Jonah Hill, Russell Brand, Elisabeth Moss, Rose Byrne, Colm Meany, Sean Combs
Written & Directed by: Nicholas Stoller
Music by: Lyle Workman
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 28, 2010

"Aaron Green has 72 hours to get a Rock Star from London to L.A. Pray for him"

Film Synopsis:

Jonah Hill (/Superbad/) plays Aaron Green an aspiring record company exec and comes up with a great idea to revive the career of fading British rock star Aldous Snow (Russell Brand) with a comeback concert at the world-renowned Greek Theater in Los Angeles. His boss (Sean Combs) approves and he is sent to retrieve the out-of-control rocker in London and get him across the Atlantic in just 72 hours for the show at the Greek in LA.

My Take:

It’s clearly obvious right from the outset that Get him to the Greek is a satire/spoof on the acrimony and vanity that can accompany performers/rock stars like Aldous Snow. This is of course exacerbated by successes/failures, alcohol/drug abuse and the pressures that can accompany relationships, all of which is depicted in this brash, over the top comedy that goes heavy on lewd/crude/rude behavior. The plot revolves around a young record company executive named Aaron, an affable guy, who is assigned by his boss to go to England to bring Aldous Snow to Los Angeles for a 10th anniversary concert that is to take place in 72 hours at The Greek. The idea for the concert was Aaron’s and was presented at a meeting with his boss Sergio, during a brainstorming session. Aldous Snow is a British rocker and one time lead singer of the successful band Infant Sorrow, whose solo career and marriage took a nose dive after the release of his highly anticipated single “African child” (yeah just use your imagination). His seven years of sobriety went out the window as well and in the time since he has continually sank to new lows in front of the public/media. Aaron’s sees his life as being on an even keel. His live in girlfriend and budding doctor Daphne constantly reassures him that he is “so funny” and that she loves him however the decision making process that steers their relationship (yes including sex) rests firmly with her. Aaron’s perception of Aldous is one of admiration as he sees him as someone who does what he loves for a living and makes people happy in the process. That is until he spends three days trying to get him to the concert and finds out that in reality he is a lonely, frustrated and damaged individual with little concept of what his gifts are both as a performer and person and how best to apply them in life.

This comedy is essentially what I expected considering the pedigrees of its writer/director and headlining cast. Its typically outlandish and candid humor has moments that are decidedly funny (love Jackie Q’s diatribe on the tabloid talk show) and I found Russell Brand to be much better than expected. Sean Combs had some great lines but lacks comedic timing and the wherewithal to be charming enough to be funny. I watched the theatrical version and felt that the pacing could have been smoother and several sequences just ran too long. I liked the pairing of Hill and Brand but Rose Byrne as Jackie Q stole every scene she was in. The subplot that involved Aaron and Daphne felt unnecessary and added a smidgen of drama where there really didn’t need to be any. I enjoyed the musical set pieces featuring Brand and got a kick out of the titles/lyrics to the “original” music. There is an abundance of banality when it comes to the gags which wear thin over the film’s near two hour runtime however there is no denying that Get him to the Greek has merit. It just didn’t resonate as well as I’d hoped and ultimately left me wanting. I suspect that fans of Russell Brand, Jonah Hill and writer director Nicholas Stoller’s will derive more from it.

Parental Guide:

This film contains strong sexual content, drug use throughout, and pervasive language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 84

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Get him to the Greek comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal HE featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 21 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3 Mbps.

This is a reference quality Blu-ray offering from Universal that looks superb in high definition. The video is razor sharp with a slightly edgy but otherwise pristine quality that is visually pleasing. Detail rendering is nearly flawless with lucid visual acuity and fine articulation that brings forth lots of subtle detail in the images onscreen. Colors are rich and delineated with oversaturated primaries and warm tonality that make them pleasing to the eye. Flesh tones tend to be on the golden side with varying degrees of complexional separation among the cast. Boldly applied contrast and consistent black levels provide excellent balance during bright scenes containing mixed content. Shadow detail is good enough that I could make out plenty of discernible texture in the low lighting and dark backgrounds.

The lossless soundtrack doesn’t consistently engage the entire surround platform however it has moments where it energizes the room and reproduces the source elements with aplomb. Dialogue has definitive presence with refined vocal character and excellent room penetration. Dynamic range is very good which lends subtle distinction to low level sounds and gravity to broader ones. A large portion of the film has little need for this as dialogue, atmospheric ambience and musical enhancement is conveyed with little fanfare. However there are several sequences that engage the entire system to briefly produce entertaining and room filling sound that is measurable. This soundtrack isn’t demonstration worthy but for a comedy it readily delivers a satisfying listening experience that didn’t leave me disappointed.

Bonus Features:

• Feature commentary with director/writer Nicholas Stoller, Jonah Hill, Russell Brand, Rose Byrne, Elisabeth Moss, and producer Rodney Rothman

• Theatrical/Extended versions of the film

• (HD) Getting to Get him to the Greek - 32 minute making of featurette

• (HD Getting in tune with The Greek - 13 minute featurette

• (HD) The making of “African child“ - 6 minutes

• (HD) Music videos:

1. 1999 Greek Concert
    2. 2009 Greek Concert
    3. “The Clap“ on the Today show
    4. VH1 Storytellers - “Furry walls“
    5. World tour: “Riding Daphne“
    6. London ‘02 concert - “I am Jesus/Inside you“, Dracula‘s lament

• (HD) Karaoke - 15 selections from the film

• Instant access to stream one of three bonus movies: Uncle Buck, Dazed and confused or Life

• Pocket BLU App

• Social BLU

• BD-Live access

• Digital Copy/Bonus features DVD which includes the following additional supplements:

1. Gag reel - two parts totaling 10 minutes
    2. Line-O-Rama - 9 minutes
    3. Alternate Intro: The Castle
    4. Alternate Ending: Riding Daphne
    5. 17 deleted scenes
    6. 22 alternate/extended scenes
    7. Blind Medicine - 2 minute segment
    8. Interviews - 4 segments
    9. Auditions - Rose Byrne, Elisabeth Moss, Nick Kroll, Aziz Ansari, TJ Miller

Final Thoughts:

Get him to the Greek is a brash, over the top and sometimes funny comedy typical of the genre type that targets twenty something audiences today. While it has its moments and I enjoyed Russell Brand’s performance it didn’t resonate as well as I’d hoped. Fans can revel in this strong Blu-ray Disc offering from Universal Home Entertainment that features stellar high definition video, excellent lossless surround sound and an entertaining assortment of bonus supplements which includes Blu-ray exclusives. While I can’t recommend it as a blind purchase it’s easily worth a rental when the gang is over for a few beers.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
LG BD-590 Blu-ray Disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video) * In for review*
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-27-2010, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Ralph... glad you enjoyed it.. thanks for the thoughtful remarks about the track.. it was a lot of work.
post #3 of 23 Old 09-27-2010, 01:01 AM
CIH USER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Thank you Ralph cant wait to watch this one.

Frank
post #4 of 23 Old 09-27-2010, 01:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Ralph... glad you enjoyed it.. thanks for the thoughtful remarks about the track.. it was a lot of work.

Very cool you worked on this. It's in my queue and I'm looking forward to watching it.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #5 of 23 Old 09-27-2010, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:

Greetings,

My pleasure Marc. Great work as usual..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #6 of 23 Old 09-27-2010, 03:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

If only it was a good movie...
post #7 of 23 Old 09-27-2010, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I actually enjoyed this at the theaters. It was one of my favorites from this year. Looking forward to picking it up.

post #8 of 23 Old 09-27-2010, 07:24 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Very cool you worked on this.

I agree with Wabo. Well done FilmMixer

Frank
post #9 of 23 Old 09-27-2010, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

This movie was definitely a barrel of laughter! Jonah Hill and Russell Brand are two of the funniest characters in this film. Definitely a collect.

Cheers
post #10 of 23 Old 09-27-2010, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

My wife and I saw this in theaters. I normally don't like Jonah Hill, but this movie was absolutely hilarious. Russel Brand's humor can get a bit too raunchy, but it is R-rated, so raunchiness was expected.

"When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall."
post #11 of 23 Old 09-27-2010, 09:40 AM

Liked: 11
i watched this blu-ray yesterday. went into it with low expectations, but was pleasantly surprised. i loved the character in 'Forgetting Sarah Marshall', and was a little concerned he couldn't carry a whole movie, but it actually had quite a bit of good in it.

i was equally impressed that Brand actually sang all the vocals in the songs. they're silly, but still, he sounded pretty dang good.

having known a few pro musicians in my times, i guess i found Brand's portrayal extra amusing, because i've seen similar behavior in real people. by the end of the movie, i had the urge to sit and noodle around at the piano, which usually means a film has struck a chord with me (no pun intended).

worth renting, definitely.

Chimpuat

post #12 of 23 Old 09-27-2010, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
My wife wants to rent this one, but I saw it already... when it was known as My Favorite Year.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #13 of 23 Old 10-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm_B View Post

My wife wants to rent this one, but I saw it already... when it was known as My Favorite Year.

My thoughts exactly.

Curious that Ralph never mentions the homage/ripoff that this movie is to the aforementioned classic.
post #14 of 23 Old 10-06-2010, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post

My thoughts exactly.

Curious that Ralph never mentions the homage/ripoff that this movie is to the aforementioned classic.

Greetings,

That's because I haven't seen My Favorite Year..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #15 of 23 Old 10-06-2010, 01:18 PM

I loved this movie when I first saw it and thought that Diddy was great as the record label executive. My favorite part is the party scene when Diddy's character smokes the Jeffrey and goes mad. It gets so chaotic that it became impossible for me to not laugh.

Great review overall. A lot of your points convinced me to purchase the Blu-ray version over the normal dvd version. The blu-ray has KARAOKE! Nice.
post #16 of 23 Old 10-07-2010, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I really didn't care for this one, it seemed to drag on just too long. Don't get me wrong, there were funny parts, but just not enough of them.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #17 of 23 Old 10-07-2010, 12:47 PM

This movie had many funny parts. Here's my favorite part, the party scene I mentioned in my previous post. It highlights Diddy's comedic performance in the movie.
post #18 of 23 Old 10-08-2010, 06:56 PM
CIH USER

The film wasn't too bad I found there were some funny moments which had me laughing but I too found it dragged on quite a bit.

Frank
post #19 of 23 Old 10-13-2010, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Looks like I enjoyed this just a tad more than you Ralph.

Enjoyed this one far more than I expected. Went into it with very low expectations.

Russell Brand was great, and really made the film IMO. Jonah Hill and Elisabeth Moss held their own, but Russell hands down stole the show. Even Diddy did o.k., but just barely.

This is another one of those films that is filled with shock humor, which tends to get old after a while, but fortunately the story had just enough depth to keep this film on the level. The entire film is over the top, but the emotional battle of Aldous Snow helped to ground things, and even provide some emotion.

The lyrics to the music, and the satire involved was hilarious. Many laugh out loud scenes, although again, the humor is crude.

The PQ was excellent, and very sharp with good skintones, and excellent contrast. Sound quality was good, with some of the music scenes really making a nice impact.

I would recommend this one to choice friends who I know would not be offended by the over the top humor, and crude behavior.

PQ: 4.5 out of 5, SQ 3.5 out of 5, Film 3 out of 5

Dan
post #20 of 23 Old 10-18-2010, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I didn't enjoy it as much as I expected. There were a few scenes where I laughed aloud but not enough imo.

Did any of you experience a lip sync issue with this movie and a ps3? I've never had any issues with lip sync aside from this blu ray. Is that even possible for the disc to be the issue? Either way it hasn't happened before or since so just curious more than anything.

XBL Gamertag: Shovelbum
PSN ID: Shovelbum
post #21 of 23 Old 10-18-2010, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbn733mt View Post

I didn't enjoy it as much as I expected. There were a few scenes where I laughed aloud but not enough imo.

Did any of you experience a lip sync issue with this movie and a ps3? I've never had any issues with lip sync aside from this blu ray. Is that even possible for the disc to be the issue? Either way it hasn't happened before or since so just curious more than anything.

I am looking into it... it looks like the audio is 2-3 frames early on my PS3..

Checked on other players and it looks fine...
post #22 of 23 Old 10-19-2010, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbn733mt View Post

Greetings,

This wasn't an issue on my Oppo BDP-83. Thanks for chiming in Marc..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #23 of 23 Old 10-19-2010, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

We just bought this as we greatly enjoyed it in the theater. No lip sync issues on my HTPC (PowerDVD 9 Ultra).

There were some slow parts, and some awkward parts, but the laugh-out-loud moments far outweighed them. You have to like Russell Brand's brand of comedy.

The documentaries on the disc were fun too. I was surprised at how excited and serious Puff Daddy was about getting the part.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Get Him To The Greek Blu Ray
Gear in this thread