Beauty and the Beast (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum
1  2
Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews > Beauty and the Beast (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review
McStyvie's Avatar McStyvie 01:57 AM 10-01-2010
HI Ralph,

I was highly disappointed by the 7.1 track in Dumbo 70th Anniversary and Snow White. I honestly think the sound is horrible on those blu-rays, and not worthy of 7.1, it is a farce to call it so. That being said, it has never sounded better, it just isn't 7.1. It is 7.mono. NO bass, hardly any atmospherics, just blahhh...

I would have preferred a DTS HD MA 1.0 track on both those blus. To the point, it made me swear not to buy another old Disney movie due to a sub-par sound.

Your review has made me want to buy this one however! I will rent it first though, just due to being burned by the two above mentioned blus. (I guess I have to mention these were both the UK/EU releases mentioned above)

tre74's Avatar tre74 01:17 PM 10-05-2010
Just picked it up. Nice job. Great audio, nice bass. Video nice, not on par with Princess and the Frog, but looks great. The texture in the backgrounds is just right. Hate the full sized DVD type case. It seems I bought the DVD plus Blu-ray version. Go figure.
JMCurtis's Avatar JMCurtis 04:42 PM 10-05-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tre74 View Post

Just picked it up. Nice job. Great audio, nice bass. Video nice, not on par with Princess and the Frog, but looks great. The texture in the backgrounds is just right. Hate the full sized DVD type case. It seems I bought the DVD plus Blu-ray version. Go figure.

I got the right one - with Blu-ray standard case, and got mine from Best Buy. Got it as a pre-order with an Ironpack case. With my $10.00 discount from Disney Rewards, it brought the price down to $15.79 including tax. A great buy!

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, my only disappointment was with the "Work in Progress" storyboard version being PiP only. Something billed as being "so unique at that time" [see the mention in the intro for this feature], should have been presented full size. Just my opinion here, mind you, but the PiP is also way too small on screen for it to be seen properly and really appreciated.

Ralph, great review otherwise, and spot on!!
oakleaf's Avatar oakleaf 09:21 PM 10-05-2010
I have this one on DVD and was debating whether to purchase again. Your review (and a $10 coupon ) made the decision easy! Haven't watched it in awhile so am looking forward to watching it again with my daughter!

I'll let you know what I think about the banding and aliasing.
chrischaos's Avatar chrischaos 07:48 AM 10-06-2010
I purchased this BD based on Ralph's review. I thought his review was, once again, spot on. I've purchased at least 20 of the family/kids movies since my kids were born and i have to say that each time i view a disney film, it makes me appreciate the work pixar and dreamworks does that much more. I thought the AV presentation (especially based on age) was very good. The stories, though, seem so dated and less imaginitive compared to newer works done by the other companies. I look forward to How to train your dragon. Thanks again Ralph.
Ralph Potts's Avatar Ralph Potts 08:10 AM 10-06-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischaos View Post

I purchased this BD based on Ralph's review. I thought his review was, once again, spot on. I've purchased at least 20 of the family/kids movies since my kids were born and i have to say that each time i view a disney film, it makes me appreciate the work pixar and dreamworks does that much more. I thought the AV presentation (especially based on age) was very good. The stories, though, seem so dated and less imaginitive compared to newer works done by the other companies. I look forward to How to train your dragon. Thanks again Ralph.

Greetings,

You're very welcome.

Regards,
thebland's Avatar thebland 08:35 AM 10-06-2010
Great review. I fully parrot your numbers on the audio and video.

Pristine, vivid colors and just plain gorgeous. Eye candy. DTS MA was crystal clear with a some non-aggressive discrete surround activity some decent low end when needed but excellent none the less.
Waboman's Avatar Waboman 08:37 AM 10-06-2010
Excellent review, as always, Ralph. I got the ironbook version. This is one of my wife's favorite movies. I'll be scoring points this weekend. Oh yeah.
Ralph Potts's Avatar Ralph Potts 09:17 AM 10-06-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Great review. I fully parrot your numbers on the audio and video.

Pristine, vivid colors and just plain gorgeous. Eye candy. DTS MA was crystal clear with a some non-aggressive discrete surround activity some decent low end when needed but excellent none the less.

Quote:

Excellent review, as always, Ralph. I got the ironbook version. This is one of my wife's favorite movies. I'll be scoring points this weekend. Oh yeah.

Greetings,

Glad to hear it guys. Enjoy!

Regards,
weiland555's Avatar weiland555 10:27 AM 10-06-2010
Ralph (or anyone else who might know),

This might be a stupid question, but is the picture quality of the Extended version as good and/or the same as the Theatrical version?

Thanks, Ralph, for the great reviews!
omgitsoop's Avatar omgitsoop 11:36 PM 10-08-2010
Bought this today, movie looks and sounds great, but I'm having some issues with the bonus disc: first off, for the long making of featurette, it shows that you can check and uncheck boxes of what you want to watch in the index, but any time I try to check a box it just jumps straight to that part and I have to back out of it. Secondly and most importantly I'm having serious playing issues with the making of (on ps3), the sound cuts out quite a bit, and sometimes the sound cuts out then the video freezes and jumps forward a little bit. Obviously this is fresh out of the box first time played stuff, disc is perfectly clean. Did I get a bad batch? Im also a little miffed that I didn't pay attention and grabbed the dvd packaging instead of the blu packaging.
ilovenola2's Avatar ilovenola2 04:15 PM 10-09-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCurtis View Post

I got the right one - with Blu-ray standard case, and got mine from Best Buy. Got it as a pre-order with an Ironpack case. With my $10.00 discount from Disney Rewards, it brought the price down to $15.79 including tax. A great buy!

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, my only disappointment was with the "Work in Progress" storyboard version being PiP only. Something billed as being "so unique at that time" [see the mention in the intro for this feature], should have been presented full size. Just my opinion here, mind you, but the PiP is also way too small on screen for it to be seen properly and really appreciated.

Ralph, great review otherwise, and spot on!!

The staff at my local Best Buy-- around the corner in the New Orleans suburbs-- said on the phone that they didn't honor the $10.00 Disney Rewards coupon so I went to Wal Mart and picked it up for $14.95 with the discount.

On the "Work in Progress" version-- I to am disappointed that it's not in "full" form on the new, otherwise-fabulous blu-ray. Just to check, I pulled out my previous 2-disd DVD Platinum edition and, as I thought, the "Work in Progress" version is indeed there in "full" form as on the laserdisc-- on Disc One..as are all three versions. I have it on now and it looks surprisingly excellent, even next to the incredible blu-ray! So, by being a Scrooge and keeping it, I can at least check out the "Work in Progress" version when I want.
Still.....You folk are right! It should have been on the new set as well.

Oh-- Ralph! As usual, your review was just right!
All my best from the Crescent City, where we love "The Princess and the Frog" too!

Joe, aka Ilovenola2.
pronghorn/az's Avatar pronghorn/az 01:15 PM 10-10-2010
Our local BB honored the coupon. If people wise up they will boycott BB. They are becoming hard asses when price matching. I tell them outright if they don't price match, they lose the sale and I will buy it else where. That gets their attention...sometimes. Beautiful movie pic and sound wise.

Jeff
Thies Windu's Avatar Thies Windu 11:45 AM 10-12-2010
I bought the Diamond Edition and since I don't have a blu ray player yet my daughter was watching the DVD. I noticed that on the DVD I get the option to select English or French (probably because we are in Canada), so I selected English. The sneak peeks start playing and the audio is in English but all the text (not subtitles) like coming soon, descriptors, and movie titles are in French. Has anybody else encountered this?
JamE55's Avatar JamE55 12:27 PM 10-12-2010
Anybody have the link to this Disney movie Beauty and the Beast $10 discount coupon?

thanks
Dave Vaughn's Avatar Dave Vaughn 04:48 PM 10-12-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

Anybody have the link to this Disney movie Beauty and the Beast $10 discount coupon?

thanks

It ends today (I think)...go to the Disney Movie Rewards site.
JamE55's Avatar JamE55 04:54 PM 10-12-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

It ends today (I think)...go to the Disney Movie Rewards site.

I have and don't see it anywhere on that site. They probably must've taken it down?
tfoltz's Avatar tfoltz 05:58 PM 10-12-2010
The extended and theatrical look the same to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiland555 View Post

Ralph (or anyone else who might know),

This might be a stupid question, but is the picture quality of the Extended version as good and/or the same as the Theatrical version?

Thanks, Ralph, for the great reviews!

gonzalc3's Avatar gonzalc3 07:40 PM 10-12-2010
Great review Ralph! Couldn't agree more with the ratings...also with your assessment David!
Dave Vaughn's Avatar Dave Vaughn 08:39 PM 10-12-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post

Great review Ralph! Couldn't agree more with the ratings...also with your assessment David!

Thanks!
omgitsoop's Avatar omgitsoop 10:40 PM 10-12-2010
not that anyone seem to notice my post about the bonus features disc not playing correctly, but i emailed disney about it and this is the reply i got:

Quote:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding your Beauty and the Beast Blu-ray set. We are concerned about your issue and appreciate the opportunity to address this with you.

We are currently aware of a compatibility issue with the Sony Playstation 3 players and the "Beyond Beauty" Bonus Feature. At this time there is no known resolution to the issue that you are experiencing. It is possible the issue will be fixed with the next update Sony releases for the player. If a solution is found to correct this issue, we will contact you to let you know what steps need to be taken.

then i was offered a refund. ill keep the disc, but just fyi some of the bonus features on the second disc are currently incompatible with the ps3
Ralph Potts's Avatar Ralph Potts 03:07 AM 10-13-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post

Greetings,

Thanks Chris. Glad that you enjoyed it my friend..

Regards,
Ralph Potts's Avatar Ralph Potts 03:07 AM 10-13-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitsoop View Post

not that anyone seem to notice my post about the bonus features disc not playing correctly, but i emailed disney about it and this is the reply i got:

then i was offered a refund. ill keep the disc, but just fyi some of the bonus features on the second disc are currently incompatible with the ps3

Greetings,

Thanks much for posting this omgitsoop.

Regards,
trinifox's Avatar trinifox 11:46 AM 10-17-2010
First Off,

Thanks for the wonderful review.

Secondly,

In my haste I grabbed this at BB not thinking, when I got home, alas it was the 2xBD + 1 DVD combo in the DVD packaging. I took it back just now and found the correct one (Blu Packaging). The reps did not realize there was the exact thing in different packaging.
dtv_junkie87's Avatar dtv_junkie87 08:48 AM 10-26-2010
Hi there,

Beauty and the Beast is the best Disney film ever made and also one of my three favorite movies from my childhood! Just hearing about how great this Blu-ray is makes me want to pick it up! I do not have a Blu-ray player at this time, but there's a DVD copy inside, thus making my possible purchase future-proof!

I wish Disney was still the way it was from November 18, 1928 to June 6, 2002.
Tags: Blu Ray Movies , Beauty And The Beast
1  2

Up
Mobile  Desktop