Starring: Shawn Ashmore, Emma Bell, Kevin Zegers
Directed by: Adam Green
Music by: Andy Garfield
Written by: Adam Green
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 28, 2010

"No One Knows You're Up There"

Film Synopsis:

A typical day on the slopes turns into a chilling nightmare for three snowboarders when they get stranded on the chairlift before their last run. As the ski patrol switches off the night lights, they realize with growing panic that they’ve been left behind dangling high off the ground with no way down. With the resort closed until the following weekend and frostbite and hypothermia already setting in, the trio is forced to take desperate measures to escape off the mountain before they freeze to death. Once they make their move, they discover with horror that they have much more to fear than just the frigid cold. As they combat unexpected obstacles, they start to question if their will to survive is strong enough to overcome the worst ways to die?”

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=187243&d=1285962795Frozen took me by surprise. The idea of Parker, Joe and Dan, three 20-somethings stuck in a chairlift, too high to jump, too cold to survive and stranded for 5 days until the mountain opens again, reeked of boredom, whining, crying and bad dialogue. Adam Green delivered this scenario with precision and craft, showing he is more than a kid who got lucky getting his first effort, Hatchet, which I reviewed 2 weeks ago, made. What could kill a film with this premise are the characters. Thankfully the three unlucky ones were played very well by Shawn Ashmore, Emma Bell and Kevin Zegers. Some realistic dialogue coupled with a natural progression of emotions, from denial to blame to acceptance, took this from the annuals of forgotten B-movie to a top-notch thriller that is so frustrating and gut-wrenching at times, that it feels as if it is really happening.

The film starts with a silly pop-song, almost mocking 80s films like "Better off Dead", and builds the characters up to be likable and fun as they finagle getting on the chairlift by paying off an employee at Mount Holliston (of note, Adam is from Holliston, MA, which is a few towns over from where I am writing this up.). Liking these three is the key here. If they were not believable we would never feel so disturbed at what happens. Of course, at the end of the day these guys need to get in one more run before the mountain is closed. They beg and plead to be let on, even though employees had already let the last group on the lift. They succeed in getting on but are forgotten! An easy but believable set-up to get these poor folks stranded, dangling too far to be heard, scene or saved.

The film has some faults, there a few times where we drag, but it always saves itself right at the moment where I noticed. I will hold of on my other issue as saying it is a spoiler. All-in-all this far better then you should expect it to be. It's chilling, relentless and real. I look forward to seeing more films by Adam and do hope he strays away from the slasher genre more often.

You will never look at a chairlift the same...

Parental Guide:

Rated R for some disturbing images and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 92

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373694

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373698

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373697

Video: 90

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373698

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373698

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373696

attachment.php?attachmentid=187242&d=1285962795Frozen thaws out on Blu-ray Disc from Anchor Bay Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 27.2 Mbps and Dolby TrueHD 5.1 sound that has an average bitrate of 3.4 Mbps.

Frozen's sound design was the stand-out in Anchor Bay's release. Its Lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 track added an element to this film that enhanced the story quite well. The low end pummeled my room when a nasty storms thunder reared its ugly head. Wind and sleet flew across the front and rear sound-stage, making me feel like I was on the chairlift with them. Never once did I miss a word, as the dialogue was always the most important thing in the mix. The tracks dynamics were what sold it, making this a natural yet surprisingly lively track. The accompanying video was another entity that helped Frozen achieve the impact that it did. The contrast between the black of night and white of the snow and sleet was impressive. The details on Joe's frost ridden facial hair to Parker's pink ski jacket were equally impressive, though some shots were softer than others. I did notice an occasion or two where blacks were crushed, though most the time details were evident. There was a sexy layer of grain, giving this 35mm filmed movie an authentic and non-tinkered with look.

Bonus Features:

• Commentary with Writer/Director Adam Green and Actors Shawn Ashmore, Kevin Zegers & Emma Bell

• (HD) Catching Frostbite: The Origins of Frozen

• (HD) Three Below Zero

• (HD) Shooting Through It

• (HD) Beating the Mountain: Surviving Frozen

• (HD) Chair 92

• (HD) Deleted Scenes

• (HD) Theatrical Trailer

• (HD) Previews: Hatchet II, I Spit On Your Grave, After.Life, Spartacus: Blood and Sand, Dante's Inferno: An Animated Epic
attachment.php?attachmentid=187244&d=1285962795

Final Thoughts:

Not for the faint of heart, Frozen can frustrate, frighten and depress-- all because we care about what is happening to these poor characters. Writer/Director Adam Green is in command getting the build-up and tension to be palpable, making this one location piece a rear breed indeed. This release from Anchor Bay is packed with extras and is a great looking transfer, all adding to making this a worthwhile experience. Be warned, if interested in seeing this don't watch the trailer first as it gives too much away. Frozen comes highly recommended...go for it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157497&d=1257542613

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS35 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Custom 1.3 Gain 128" 2.37:1 CinemaScope Screen
Pioneer SC27 Receiver (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Pioneer Elite BDP-23FD Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Triangle Zerius Speakers (7.1)
SVS PC13-Ultra Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 10-01-2010, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Lee or others, would this film be one for repeat viewings? Or, as I would suspect, once the story/outcome is known....repeat viewings would lose too much of the oomph?

Thanks
Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Feeler: I'm thinking of selling my JTR Triple 8HT's Let me know if you are interested?
For Sale: ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair)[/B]:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
post #3 of 62 Old 10-01-2010, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I don't see it giving too much replay value to most. I will watch it again to see if others react the same as I did. Plus it sure is packed with extras and nice A/V quality, so I really think this one depends on the person, more-so on this release than most---thats why I didn't mention buy or rent in my final thoughts.
post #4 of 62 Old 10-01-2010, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 363
"Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is!?!?"

Ok, in all seriousness thanks for the review, looking forward to watching this but BB already has a long wait off to the store I guess. Would you categorize this as a horror film or more of a suspense thriller?

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #5 of 62 Old 10-01-2010, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

"Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is!?!?"

Ok, in all seriousness thanks for the review, looking forward to watching this but BB already has a long wait off to the store I guess. Would you categorize this as a horror film or more of a suspense thriller?

More suspense thriller.
post #6 of 62 Old 10-01-2010, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks for the review Lee. When I saw the trailer for this a few months back I wrote it off as "Open Water" on a chairlift but you made it sound pretty good. I'm going to have to check it out.
post #7 of 62 Old 10-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Greetings,

Thanks Lee. I want to see this and will give it a spin when time permits.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #8 of 62 Old 10-01-2010, 08:52 PM

Liked: 31
I had this in my hand at my local dump shop...and I put it back, I had it in my hand and decided not to...I guess I need make a move on this.

Wow Lee...your flix are up and coming...or are you robbing King P's
mail box ??
post #9 of 62 Old 10-01-2010, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Just got done watching this an hour ago or so. Yea this was a very good flick. Good acting by the 3 stars, they seemed vary natural to me, and also I found myself wanting to see them make it through this along with my family who saw it with me. Very very tense in some scenes. Definitely not your typical b rated horror flick that you see these days. Recommended!

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #10 of 62 Old 10-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
My local Walmart had this for $15.00, so I figured why not! Sounds like it may have been a good decision!
post #11 of 62 Old 10-02-2010, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Thanks for reviewing this one Lee. I was hoping for a review before I watched it. I have the rental and plan on watching it Monday evening. The trailer definitely looks intriguing.
post #12 of 62 Old 10-02-2010, 08:15 AM

Great review! I saw this movie yesterdag and i totaly agree, great movie with a surprising ending...
post #13 of 62 Old 10-02-2010, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigslue View Post

my local walmart had this for $15.00, so i figured why not! Sounds like it may have been a good decision!

+1

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #14 of 62 Old 10-02-2010, 11:34 AM
KBI
AVS Special Member

The premise is silly to me.. But very creative & original none the less.. I think this film would bore me & is a one time watch type of movie..

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
post #15 of 62 Old 10-03-2010, 06:31 AM

I picked this up. My girl loves horror, I don't so much. Thankfully, we knew nothing about it! I don't think I would've enjoyed it as much if I had seen the trailer first. They always give too much away.. . Nice flick, we are boarders so it hit home as well... In some ways, it could've been so much more. Regardless, it was very good.

If you're interested, do yourself a favor, see no trailers and read nothing before viewing.
post #16 of 62 Old 10-03-2010, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmotleyx View Post

I picked this up. My girl loves horror, I don't so much. Thankfully, we knew nothing about it! I don't think I would've enjoyed it as much if I had seen the trailer first. They always give too much away.. . Nice flick, we are boards so it hit home as well... In some ways, it could've been so much more. Regardless, it was very good.

If you're interested, do yourself a favor, see no trailers and read nothing before viewing.

You are right, the trailer gives too much away. Ill add that to my final thoughts...
post #17 of 62 Old 10-03-2010, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I enjoyed the movie in theaters, but don't really think it's something I would see again. Definitely worth a rent for others though
post #18 of 62 Old 10-03-2010, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
What's your other issue Lee? Perhpas the .......

SPOILER...........!!!!!!!!!!!
ALER !

-------

The scene where the guy is in snow dozer thing and missing every piece of clothing they are hauling at his tractor to try and get his attention to no avail ?
My solutino to the problem was to tie all 3 of the guys jackets arm to arm to the chair lift to provide maybe 15 feet of cushion to the fall and see what happens. But hey, I'm just an Eagle Scout ; ) what would you guys have done? If you add pants to the mix, hell maybe you'd make it down with 30 feet ladder of clothing like Goldi locks, and just all 3 of u ski down the mountain naked............ at least you all 3 of you are alive !
post #19 of 62 Old 10-04-2010, 07:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Sorry to buck the trends but my wife and I thought this movie was a complete bore bordering on stupid. Poorly done, too. Did you notice how
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
1/2 the part of the girl's hand that had stuck to the safety bar was mysteriously gone in the next scenes? Moreover, sleeping with an exposed hand to the elements for hours would have been a bit different looking and unable to move. It likely would've been as rigid as Carl Weather's wooden hand from Happy Gilmore! Moreover, the scaling of the wire for 100 ft would have been a physical feat of unbelievable proportions for a trained athlete let alone being tired, with all the heavy ski gear and shredded hands. Adrenaline will only do so much...
. The story was simply too contrived. Being a skier,
Spoiler  
they flip up the seat benches at the end of the day so all are upright and so as not to accumulate large amounts of snow, ice, etc over night (imagine chipping it all away on 100s of chairs if not done?)... This is practice also insures no one is stranded. This practice would've been even more important as the lodge knew a big storm was coming in and the place was closed during the week. Their method with a flag and watching for skiers was ridiculous, not real and was added so as to help the story. But alas, the blood thirsty wolves. They were only of drama in an otherwise impossible situation.
Open Water, an identical film in almost every way, was far better (and that's not saying much).

4/5 for the story??? Let's agree to disagree....

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #20 of 62 Old 10-04-2010, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Saw this when it first came out of the theatres and thought it looked pretty good. The story is a very simple concept yet a hard problem to figure a way out. The only thing i didn't like about this movie was the ending. Thought it was stupid. Otherwise the rest was ok. Rental.

Cheers
post #21 of 62 Old 10-04-2010, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Best Buy has it for 10 bucks right now. I read a couple more favorable reviews and they say pretty much the same so I picked it for BB's price.

PSN: GeminiEffect
post #22 of 62 Old 10-04-2010, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazylik View Post

Best Buy has it for 10 bucks right now. I read a couple more favorable reviews and they say pretty much the same so I picked it for BB's price.

A new release for $10 at BEST BUY??? They're as expensive as can be so if they have it marked down to $10, that's your first clue you're better wiping your ass with that $10 bill than buying this Blu Ray!!!

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #23 of 62 Old 10-04-2010, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Sorry to buck the trends but my wife and I thought this movie was a complete bore bordering on stupid. Poorly done, too. Did you notice how
Spoiler  
1/2 the part of the girl's hand that had stuck to the safety bar was mysteriously gone in the next scenes? Moreover, sleeping with an exposed hand to the elements for hours would have been a bit different looking and unable to move. It likely would've been as rigid as Carl Weather's wooden hand from Happy Gilmore! Moreover, the scaling of the wire for 100 ft would have been a physical feat of unbelievable proportions for a trained athlete let alone being tired, with all the heavy ski gear and shredded hands. Adrenaline will only do so much...
. The story was simply too contrived. Being a skier,
Spoiler  
they flip up the seat benches at the end of the day so all are upright and so as not to accumulate large amounts of snow, ice, etc over night (imagine chipping it all away on 100s of chairs if not done?)... This is practice also insures no one is stranded. This practice would've been even more important as the lodge knew a big storm was coming in and the place was closed during the week. Their method with a flag and watching for skiers was ridiculous, not real and was added so as to help the story. But alas, the blood thirsty wolves. They were only of drama in an otherwise impossible situation.
Open Water, an identical film in almost every way, was far better (and that's not saying much).

4/5 for the story??? Let's agree to disagree....

From comments you have posted before you seem to find things that make films unrealistic and that kills the movie for you. Sometimes you must suspend belief and go with the flow, not all movies are 'cinema' and shooting for complete accuracies.

I enjoyed it from start to finish. I didn't go into it expecting Citizen Kane and thats not what was delivered. I went in expecting a bore with annoying characters. I got some better than anticipated acting, some better than average tension and a film that was successful with a 1 set location. I saw Open Water and thought this was twice the movie. I rate movie's per genre, not against the best films of all time. I just Googled reviews for this and saw a 5 star review as well as thoughts similar to yours. It seems this movie has hit different people differently.
post #24 of 62 Old 10-04-2010, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Interesting review, Lee. I'll definitely give it a rent.
post #25 of 62 Old 10-04-2010, 08:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I see your points...
Spoiler  

I can easily suspend belief for fantasy like LOTR and Star Wars, slasher films, etc. But for skiiing or any other modern day situation, it is only natural to question the events leading to the situation at hand. To me, it seemed the director wanted a situation devoid of fantasy or implausibility, like a 'this could happen' or a 'true story' film. At least attempt plausibility or it is hard to get 'sucked into the situation' and enjoy the fiction. Between the standard practice of flipping up seats on the chair lifts, to the immunity to frost bite and an impossible trek on a high wire of a tired kid heavily weighted, tired, dehydrated and an admitted 'pot smoking, non-athlete' I couldn't muster enough disbelief to make it work. I picture in the bitter cold, the two would've been huddling up for warmth all night long. Not so on all accounts.

For me, the story has to be believable as this takes place in our time. So, as I was watching it, my daughter and wife would say, 'do this' or 'do that'. We're all skiers, so the details of this movie were more relevant to us. My daughter thought it odd none had their cell phones as we all ski with them. Relative to the attacks, if they were 'zombie wolves' or the likes, I would've been more forgiving. Then, it's shlock... but they weren't. They were a pack of ravenous wolves. The filmmaker wanted to make the situation and the dangers all real things, which they were, but he failed to make the situation from which the story was drawn believable. And it killed everything.

I liked Open Water as it was far better and as we all dive, you could see it was far better researched (and executed).

post #26 of 62 Old 10-04-2010, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Hm,I'm getting the screen shots super imposed on the review it self..I thought of giving it a few minutes so it can get out the way but no chance ,can it be the pc I'm using Strange.
post #27 of 62 Old 10-04-2010, 09:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 680
IMO, your review is right on the money .. certainly a sleeper .. won't buy it as it's really more of a one watcher .. good film, none the less .. actually enjoyed it more than "Iron Man II" which we watched the same night ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #28 of 62 Old 10-04-2010, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Haven't seen this one, but being a skier, I have to admit that I've never ridden a chairlift that was so high up that jumping down would have been impossible. Couple that with the "tie the jackets together" idea and the premise for the movie just falls apart. Of course, snow boarders aren't the smartest bunch

A much better "stuck in the snow" movie would be "Dead Snow". Zombie Nazis make any movie better. If I'm suspending belief already, it's much easier to accept silly things like not jumping down from the chair lift.
post #29 of 62 Old 10-04-2010, 10:55 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Greetings,

I watched this last night. I noticed some of the inconsistencies and agree that when attempting to base fiction on "real life" it can be a distraction. I also think that going into films such as this it is important to remember that they are based upon a screenplay/story that in most cases is derived from someone's imagination and in that regard may be written from a layperson's perspective thus not being technically accurate.

In the end we must accept it at face value which leaves us with differing takes based upon our own perceptions (and in Jeff's case experience ).

It didn't resonate as deeply with me as it did with Lee. Again this could be based upon expectations. At times I found it suspenseful, unrealistic and in one or two instances, funny (like funny ha ha). As thrillers of this type go I would rate it 3/5. Regarding Open water, I would rate that a 3/5 as well so go figure.

Thanks again for the review Lee.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #30 of 62 Old 10-04-2010, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

Haven't seen this one, but being a skier, I have to admit that I've never ridden a chairlift that was so high up that jumping down would have been impossible. Couple that with the "tie the jackets together" idea and the premise for the movie just falls apart. Of course, snow boarders aren't the smartest bunch

A much better "stuck in the snow" movie would be "Dead Snow". Zombie Nazis make any movie better. If I'm suspending belief already, it's much easier to accept silly things like not jumping down from the chair lift.

You obviously have not been to some of the resorts in Canada or Idaho or Colorado ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Frozen 2010

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page