How To Train Your Dragon (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 6 - AVS Forum
First ... 4  5  6
Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews > How To Train Your Dragon (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review
spiritfox's Avatar spiritfox 12:04 PM 12-06-2010
^^
That would be me too--I don't watch a lot of animated films. I'm not married and have no kids--but some I enjoy and this one is certainly in that class--I watched it last night (Blu Ray from Netflix) and really enjoyed it--gave it 5 stars. Highly entertaining and I loved the characters--including the dragons.

Added note: I'll be ordering the Blu Ray to watch again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

jrobitaille23's Avatar jrobitaille23 08:59 PM 12-29-2010
I stand corrected. The banding was due to my plasma. Watching on a lcd now that I just calibrated and no banding. Oh...and by the way...what a picture!!! Seriously, blows me away seeing this on a calibrated display.
Ralph Potts's Avatar Ralph Potts 05:33 AM 12-30-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobitaille23 View Post

I stand corrected. The banding was due to my plasma. Watching on a lcd now that I just calibrated and no banding. Oh...and by the way...what a picture!!! Seriously, blows me away seeing this on a calibrated display.

Greetings,

Glad to hear it and thanks for following up. Enjoy!

Regards,
JMWhite's Avatar JMWhite 02:51 PM 01-03-2011
Just watched it on Amazon VOD-HD and immediately placed an order for the BD. Great movie !
Toe's Avatar Toe 04:27 PM 01-11-2011
Just watched this last night and IMO, this is the best overall audio track of the 2010 blu rays I have watched (I have a few more highly rated ones to watch as far as audio, so we will see if that holds up). I watched TS3 the night before which was great as well, but HTTYD was clearly a notch above and a few notches in respect to the LFE! The 3d in this one was absolutely fantastic as well! One of the best uses of consistent depth 3d that I have seen. Amazing overall experience!
Franin's Avatar Franin 03:56 AM 01-17-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Just watched this last night and IMO, this is the best overall audio track of the 2010 blu rays I have watched (I have a few more highly rated ones to watch as far as audio, so we will see if that holds up). I watched TS3 the night before which was great as well, but HTTYD was clearly a notch above and a few notches in respect to the LFE! The 3d in this one was absolutely fantastic as well! One of the best uses of consistent depth 3d that I have seen. Amazing overall experience!

I agree I enjoy the story more compared to the others also.
Toe's Avatar Toe 10:28 AM 01-17-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I agree I enjoy the story more compared to the others also.

Agreed This is just a great all around disc!
jamawass's Avatar jamawass 04:05 PM 01-30-2011
Great movie the whole family enjoyed. Rented from BB but will be buying a copy for our collection. Review was spot on Ralph.
Ralph Potts's Avatar Ralph Potts 04:06 PM 01-30-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamawass View Post

Great movie the whole family enjoyed. Rented from BB but will be buying a copy for our collection. Review was spot on Ralph.

Greetings,

Glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed it!

Regards,
rdgrimes's Avatar rdgrimes 04:36 PM 01-30-2011
There's a single-disc BD release coming out shortly.
Giles37's Avatar Giles37 06:25 PM 01-30-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post

What's up with this... The movie is 5.1 truehd but the Boneknapper Dragon (mini movie) is in 7.1 truehd. Kind of funny.

I maybe wrong, but I thought I read somewhere the 3D version of the film features 7.1 sound as does the mini-movie, is this true?
burgmike's Avatar burgmike 11:57 PM 04-08-2011
I just watched the movie. GREAT stuff! I did have a problem with the audio in the ending fight scene. It seemed like the audio started to clip then the sound just turned off as the dragon crashed into the ground. I'm guessing it was pushing my system too hard... Does anyone have a clue?

Onkyo HT-R670
Stock HTIB Speakers except for CS20 center (got some Ascends L/R coming monday)
Ralph Potts's Avatar Ralph Potts 05:01 AM 04-09-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgmike View Post

I just watched the movie. GREAT stuff! I did have a problem with the audio in the ending fight scene. It seemed like the audio started to clip then the sound just turned off as the dragon crashed into the ground. I'm guessing it was pushing my system too hard... Does anyone have a clue?

Onkyo HT-R670

Greetings,

It sounds like you over drove the amp section in your Onkyo. Reducing the volume should take care of it.

Glad you enjoyed How to train your dragon..

Regards,
Sonyrocks's Avatar Sonyrocks 08:36 AM 04-09-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgmike View Post

Onkyo HT-R670

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

It sounds like you over drove the amp section in your Onkyo. Reducing the volume should take care of it.

Glad you enjoyed How to train your dragon..

Regards,

Yep, this is a great flick and the LFE is nutz! It's just a simple fact that is a brutal scene in combination with pushing your system too hard. I own a Seaton Sound SubMersive, which is pretty much a bullet proof sub, and to this day this is the only movie to ever trip the protection LED on the amp. Granted, I like to run it a few DB hot. \\m/

-Glen
Tags: How To Train Your Dragon Two Disc Blu Ray 3d Dvd Combo , Blu Ray Movies
First ... 4  5  6

Up
Mobile  Desktop