Studio and Year: DreamWorks - 2010
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 98 minutes
Genre: Animation/Adventure

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 5.1, Spanish/French/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, English, Portuguese, Spanish, French
Starring: Voices of: Jay Baruchel, Gerard Butler, America Ferrer, T.J. Miller, Kristin Wiig, Craig Ferguson, Jonah Hill, Christopher Mintz-Plasse
Directed by: Chris Sanders & Dean DeBlois
Music by: John Powell
Written by: Chris Sanders, Dean DeBlois, Will Davies based on the book by Cressida Cowell
Region Code: 1

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 15, 2010

"Don’t judge a book by its cover"

Film Synopsis:

A winner with audiences and critics alike, DreamWorks Animation’s HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON rolls fire-breathing action, epic adventure and laughs into a captivating and original story. Hiccup is a young Viking who defies tradition when he befriends one of his deadliest foes – a ferocious dragon he calls Toothless. Together, the unlikely heroes must fight against all odds to save both their worlds.

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=187581&d=1286291385

How to train your dragon is a whimsical fantasy based on the book by Cressida Cowell that revolves around Hiccup, a teenage Viking from a small village on an island inhabited by dragons. Hiccup’s father Stoick is the village leader and a master at dragon killing. Unfortunately Hiccup isn’t much of a warrior, in stature or mindset, and enjoys creating inventions and tinkering. This is of course a crushing disappointment to his father which is common knowledge among the villagers. Hiccup also has a hard time fitting in with his peers who aspire to be the next generation of dragon slayers. Not wanting to disappoint his dad Hiccup creates a device designed to take down a dragon in flight. He tries it out one night when village is under attack by a swarm of dragons. It fells the animal in the woods near the village but no one will believe him.

The next day he explores the area and discovers that the dragon he captured is a Night Fury, a legendary dragon rumored to be the most dangerous, deadly and man killing beast ever although no one has ever actually seen one. Hiccup decides to kill the dragon to impress his father but can’t bring himself to do and cuts him free. The dragon springs on top of Hiccup looks him in the eye and leaps off into the woods. Hiccup later discovers him frolicking in a cove nearby and realizes that the dragon can’t fly due to an injury to his tail that won’t allow him to navigate. He reveals himself to the Dragon, gains his trust and makes a prosthetic device/harness that will allow the Dragon, who Hiccup now calls “Toothless”, to maneuver with him riding on his back.

Hiccup keeps Toothless a secret from his father and friends back at the village. Meanwhile he and his friends Snotlout, Fishlegs, Toughnut, Roughnut and Astrid (who he has a crush on) begin dragon slayer training. They use captured dragons for training and during the process, after spending so much time with Toothless, Hiccup comes to realize not only their strength/weaknesses but the fact that dragons only kill people in self defense and hunt for necessity. In order to stop the killing of dragons he decides that it is time not only to reveal his secret but to show the entire village that dragons aren’t the terrible monsters they believe them to be. Unfortunately things don’t go quite as planned and Hiccup winds up putting the village, Toothless and the entire island dragon population at risk by inadvertently unleashing an unimaginable terror that defies their worst nightmares. In order to overcome the threat both dragon and Viking will have to come together in a way that neither ever thought possible.

I must have had at least a half dozen different people ask me if I’d seen this film while it was still in theaters. When I said that I hadn’t the reaction was always the same, you HAVE to see it. I never did get around to it but looked forward to its release on Blu-ray and the chance to review it. Well it was totally worth the wait. I wouldn’t say that it brings anything noticeably new to the genre table but it’s a highly entertaining animated film that warms the heart and tickles the funny bone. The story is nicely developed and carries a positive message about acceptance, friendship, and family while supporting the adage about not judging a book by its cover. The actors who lend their voices to the characters are perfectly placed. I always enjoy trying to figure who they based upon vocal recognition (I only got three). Kudos to directors/co-writers Chris Sanders and Dean DeBlois on this heartwarming, exciting and funny film that has a little something for everyone and makes for wonderful family entertainment.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sequences of intense action and some scary images and brief mild language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 92

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 100

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699
attachment.php?attachmentid=187582&d=1286291385

How to train your dragon comes to Blu-ray Disc from DreamWorks featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 22 Mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel audio that has an average bitrate of 2.4 Mbps.

This is a beautifully crafted digital film that looks amazing in high definition. From start to finish this presentation is nothing short of mesmerizing in its depiction of the film’s animated images. The video is exquisitely detailed, incredibly three dimensional and never left me wanting for fine degrees of subtle delineation and texture. The attention to detail in the construction of the animated characters physical features as well as objects within each frame is superb. Looking at Stoick I could see the varying lengths/uneven texture of the hair in his beard and the fuzzy/stubbly hair on his forearms. The same was true of rough/scaly texture of Toothless’s hide versus the softer “skin” of his wings. Other examples can be seen in the textural nuance in the walls and stone floor in the training arena and physical characteristics in the wooden surfaces of the ships and interiors of the village dwellings.

The chromatic palette is an extensive one but colors appear vivid and bold with an enriching level of saturation that exhibits subtle degrees of separation and eye pleasing depth. Contrast is exemplary and blacks are inky with extended dynamic range and deep gradational highlights. The open DreamWorks splash screen looks amazing as the boy with the fishing pole sitting in the half moon is drawn in white and set against a multi-staged dark background. Those with high contrast displays can fully appreciate how superlative this sequence looks. As it begins to fade into the film’s opening you can just make out the shape of a Night Fury dragon flying against the near black sky. The film’s low level sequences (there are many) look just as stunning as the dark and shadow filled backgrounds exhibit a near infinite level of dimension, with superb contrast and visible shading that draws out lots of detail. I was blown away by this flawless high definition video presentation from DreamWorks who continues to prove that Pixar isn’t the only pristine animation game in town. Bravo!

It seems that lately most of titles I have reviewed on Blu-ray contain DTS-HD Master Audio sound so I have to admit that I was a little surprised when I saw that this release contained a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack. That certainly isn’t a problem as some of the best soundtracks available on the format contain Dolby TrueHD sound. This is an engaging mix that utilizes the entire system to create a theater like experience. Sound staging is excellent as both the front and rear channels are seamlessly integrated so that sound effects seem to traverse the room. Surround activity is frequent but not ostentatious as both directional and spatial information mixed to the rear channels weaves an enveloping pattern of sound. Dynamics are energetic and forceful which lends weight to the plethora of impact felt moments during the movie. This is a fairly aggressive LFE mix that makes regular use of the subwoofer to accentuate its already powerful dynamic range. The result is impressive bass response that has authoritative depth and palpably rich impact that can be room shaking. Dialogue is rendered with aplomb. John Powell’s rousing music is an essential component to this soundtrack as it helps to intensify the action with its energetic instrumentation and high level detail that maintains a prominent but non dominating aural presence. This is a superlative audio presentation that mates perfectly with the video and source material. The combination makes for a terrific home theater experience that is best described as marvelous.

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1:

• (HD) Legend of the Bonekeeper Dragon – 16 minute short film (includes AVC video, Dolby TrueHD 7.1 surround mix)

• (HD) Soaring special features:

1. Viking sized cast featurette – 11 minutes
    2. The technical artistry of Dragon featurette – 10 minutes
    3. 3 deleted scenes
    4. The story behind the story featurette – 7 minutes
    5. Racing for gold – interactive game
    6. How to draw a dragon featurette – 10 minutes
    7. Your Viking profile – interactive quiz
    8. Filmmaker’s commentary with directors/co-writers Chris Sanders, Dean DeBlois and producer Bonnie Arnold
    9. The animator’s corner – Bonusview pop-up interactive feature
    10. Trivia track – Bonusview pop-up interactive feature

• (HD) DreamWorks animation video jukebox – Featuring Shrek, Madagascar, Over the hedge, Bee Movie, and Kung Fu Panda

• BD-Live exclusive feature: “Finding the story” – A behind the scenes look at the two year process that brought the film to fruition, hosted by director’s Chris Sanders and Dean DeBlois

• Disc 2:

• Bonus DVD of How to train your dragon
attachment.php?attachmentid=187583&d=1286291409

Final Thoughts:

How to train your dragon is high flying family entertainment that warms the heart and tickles the funny bone thanks to a strong script and apt direction from creators Chris Sanders and Dean DeBlois. DreamWorks continues in the tradition of Kung Fu Panda with a stellar audio/video presentation that absolutely shines in high definition on Blu-ray Disc. Paramount includes a host of bonus material which includes Blu-ray Disc exclusive features, filmmaker commentary, behind the scenes featurettes, and the animated short film Legend of the Bonekeeper Dragon which is presented in 1080p HD with lossless surround sound. I highly recommend you consider adding this to your Blu-ray collection, it has found a home in mine.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 164 Old 10-05-2010, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Now a must buy for me after reading your review. Thanks for another great review Ralph!

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #3 of 164 Old 10-05-2010, 01:47 PM
Knd

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ralph,
I was just curious as to why only 4/5 on the film? I went back and looked up your review on UP and you gave it a 5/5. We bought UP without ever seeing it, and love the movie, probably have watched it 3 times.

I'm debating as to whether to just buy it, or rent it first, as we have never seen the movie.

I would appreciate any comparison you can provide.

Thanks.

Dan
post #4 of 164 Old 10-05-2010, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Great review, Ralph! I missed this in the theaters and have been eagerly awaiting the BD release.

I thought that the aspect-ratio was 2.35:1 though. Maybe a typo?

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

post #5 of 164 Old 10-05-2010, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 200
missed all opportunity to see it theatrical running with great regret, and have been eagerly waiting for this one since..Will be buying this one for sure.

Thanks for the review Ralph
post #6 of 164 Old 10-05-2010, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knd View Post

Ralph,
I was just curious as to why only 4/5 on the film? I went back and looked up your review on UP and you gave it a 5/5. We bought UP without ever seeing it, and love the movie, probably have watched it 3 times.

I'm debating as to whether to just buy it, or rent it first, as we have never seen the movie.

I would appreciate any comparison you can provide.

Thanks.

Dan

Greetings,

Dan, this is easily worth a blind buy. I found Up to more emotive and touching but a 4/5 rating is certainly no slouch.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #7 of 164 Old 10-05-2010, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 View Post

Great review, Ralph! I missed this in the theaters and have been eagerly awaiting the BD release.

I thought that the aspect-ratio was 2.35:1 though. Maybe a typo?

Greetings,

That was a typo. Good catch!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #8 of 164 Old 10-05-2010, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
FWIW I thought that this was the best animated Title of 2010.

Cant wait to get it on Blu-Ray

Great Review!!!

Devo
post #9 of 164 Old 10-05-2010, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumble Devo View Post

FWIW I thought that this was the best animated Title of 2010.

Cant wait to get it on Blu-Ray

Great Review!!!

Better than Toy Story 3?
post #10 of 164 Old 10-05-2010, 02:40 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Nice! Loved this movie. We're having a movie/party thing when this is released, so it's great to see the high scores. Excellent film.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #11 of 164 Old 10-05-2010, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Nice review Ralph! I've already pre-ordered this movie a while ago in amazon... What kept you from not rating it at 100 with respect to the sound? Is it because is Dolby True HD and it doesn't have the bass extension and surround envolvement as the DTS HD MA tracks?

Chris. My DVD and Blu Ray collection
Sony VPL HW55ES, ST 100, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
post #12 of 164 Old 10-05-2010, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post

Nice review Ralph! I've already pre-ordered this movie a while ago in amazon... What kept you from not rating it at 100 with respect to the sound? Is it because is Dolby True HD and it doesn't have the bass extension and surround envolvement as the DTS HD MA tracks?

Greetings,

Thanks Chris. The fact that this is a Dolby TrueHD audio mix has nothing to do with its rating. In fact this a reference quality soundtrack. It falls just shy of the best of the best but still makes for a great audio experience. Be sure to turn it up!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #13 of 164 Old 10-05-2010, 03:10 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip808 View Post

Better than Toy Story 3?

I thought so

Devo
post #14 of 164 Old 10-05-2010, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

WOW!! Another 100?!

Between this, Beauty and the Beast and Iron Man 2 receiving reference scores has all the planets aligned?! lol!!

Based on this review this is definitely a collect. Actually didn't get to see this one in the movies so this is going to be a nice treat.

Cheers
post #15 of 164 Old 10-05-2010, 03:40 PM

This was a great movie in the theater. I was thoroughly entertained, I think I enjoyed it more than my kids. I will buy this title as soon as I see it.
post #16 of 164 Old 10-05-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip808 View Post

Better than Toy Story 3?

I thought it was better than Toy Story 3. I liked TS3 but obviously not as much as others. I thought it was overly nostalgic and not as good as the first two, just my opinion (I rewatched both of them after seeing TS3 in the theater)..

This movie was completely original to me
post #17 of 164 Old 10-05-2010, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Hi Ralph! Thanks very much for the review. How does the LFE in this one compare to the LFE in Kung Fu Panda? I noticed you said it has an aggressive LFE mix (which is good ).
post #18 of 164 Old 10-05-2010, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Ralph, thanks for the review. This was one of my favorites this year and it looks like the Blu-ray will not disappoint. Can't wait!

For some reason, I remember seeing a 1.85:1 3D presentation, but my memory may be off.

Quote:

It seems that lately most of titles I have reviewed on Blu-ray contain DTS-HD Master Audio sound so I have to admit that I was a little surprised when I saw that this release contained a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack.

I've been curious about why use of Dolby TrueHD is has become pretty rare as well.

Quote:

Is it because is Dolby True HD and it doesn't have the bass extension and surround envolvement as the DTS HD MA tracks?

Where did this information come from?

Hopefully, this thread will not devolve into a DTS-HD MA vs. Dolby TrueHD debate, although I know I am not helping.
post #19 of 164 Old 10-05-2010, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by croseiv View Post

Hi Ralph! Thanks very much for the review. How does the LFE in this one compare to the LFE in Kung Fu Panda? I noticed you said it has an aggressive LFE mix (which is good ).

Greetings,

Depth is just as good with more emphasis within the mix here.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #20 of 164 Old 10-05-2010, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronMK View Post

Ralph, thanks for the review. This was one of my favorites this year and it looks like the Blu-ray will not disappoint. Can't wait!

For some reason, I remember seeing a 1.85:1 3D presentation, but my memory may be off.

I've been curious about why use of Dolby TrueHD is has become pretty rare as well.

Where did this information come from?

Hopefully, this thread will not devolve into a DTS-HD MA vs. Dolby TrueHD debate, although I know I am not helping.

Greetings,

Your memory probably serves correctly as the 3D presentation could very well have been framed at 1.85:1.

No worries regarding the integrity of the thread. I'll keep it on track..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #21 of 164 Old 10-05-2010, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I like this in the theater. My daughter actually cry... To me, this is as good as TS3. definitely a buy!
post #22 of 164 Old 10-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 542
One of the few movies I went and saw at the theater and really enjoyed it. Will definitely buy this one and glad to see such great technical marks

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #23 of 164 Old 10-05-2010, 06:53 PM

Great great movie (yes better than Toy Story 3). Saw this with my son and it is the best 3d presentatation I have seen at the theater (yes better than Avatar which had quite a bit of motion blur but everyone seemed to ignore that when praising it's 3D).

It reaffirms the fact that 3D is best used for the Pixar type films because that's where it's actually fun and a spectacle when done right. I just find it a bit odd when people clamor for 3D in adult films because it's a juvenile gimmick that's best served for kids movies like these.

That being said I can't wait to see the 2D presentation on BR and really would have no desire to see a 3D BR released because it no doubt will look it's best in 2D.
post #24 of 164 Old 10-05-2010, 09:08 PM

I took my kids to the movies to see this one in 3D. I thought, "This'll be fun for the kids and may be cute to see." The title and the trailers didn't wow me so I didn't expect much. This movie blew me away!!! Easy 5/5 at the theaters and the best movie I've seen yet this year.

Cannot wait to get this one on Blu-ray and watch it at home with the kids again. Thanks for the awesome review Ralph!
post #25 of 164 Old 10-05-2010, 11:48 PM
Advanced Member

i saw both this and ts3 in the theatre. both are excellent. for those of you that have not seen it, get it. you will not be disappointed.

post #26 of 164 Old 10-06-2010, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Can't wait to see this one as I have heard really good things about it so far. Glad the video scored a 100. Makes me want to see it even more. I bet this would definitely be a treat to see in Blu-ray 3D which I won't get for at least a couple years. Just a random note here... I notice Paramount has been opting for Dolby TrueHD in some of their releases as of late. This includes Dexter and How to Train Your Dragon. This is not a complaint by any means, but rather just pointing it out since I find it interesting, especially since everyone has been using DTS HD MA. I wonder what the decision making and thought process is for deciding what codec to use for a specific title.
post #27 of 164 Old 10-06-2010, 12:26 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Me and my daughter saw this in the movies and absolutley loved it unfortunatley it was in 3D so I'm looking forward in watching this finally in 2D and in Scope too.

Thanks for the review Ralph.

Frank
post #28 of 164 Old 10-06-2010, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 736
Great review, Ralph. This will definitely be a blind buy for me. Thanks!

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #29 of 164 Old 10-06-2010, 01:07 AM

I noticed this movie premiered in March. Anyone know specifics as to why it took 7 months for it to be released on bd/dvd?

It seems 4-5 months is the average time a movie takes to release on bd/dvd these days.

Panasonic 55ST60
Sony XBR-46HX909
post #30 of 164 Old 10-06-2010, 01:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I was able to view about 10 minutes of the Blu Ray and the video quality is stunning, should be THE new reference disc based upon what I saw.

Jason
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
How To Train Your Dragon Two Disc Blu Ray 3d Dvd Combo , Blu Ray Movies

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page