Moulin Rouge (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 49 Old 10-18-2010, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 109
I don't understand why anyone that hated/can't stand a particular movie would need to chime in on a discussion thread of a BluRay, DVD, VHS (or whatever) release of the aforementioned movie.

If you didn't like the movie, why would you have any interest at all (plus or minus) in the BD???

I don't get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 10-19-2010, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeeks View Post

I believe this thread and ones like it are for commenting on the bluray release and the technical review of the product, not on wither or not you like the film...

That being said, I love this movie, it is a joy to watch and listen to the beauty of the effects and the unique use of sound effects

I have actually been checking the front page every day waiting for Ralph's review.

I am very glad he gave it such an outstanding review for the bluray release. I look forward to watching it on my new projector.

Ridiculous. If I have said "it's a great movie! enjoyed it so much!", you wouldn't have a problem with my original comment. Period.

Quote:

I love this movie, it is a joy to watch and listen to the beauty of the effects and the unique use of sound effects

So....if you liked the 'effects' and not the movie, you'd say you didn't love the movie?

Evil is Good
post #33 of 49 Old 10-19-2010, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitod View Post

Ridiculous. If I have said "it's a great movie! enjoyed it so much!", you wouldn't have a problem with my original comment. Period.

So....if you liked the 'effects' and not the movie, you'd say you didn't love the movie?

Greetings,

Let's dispense with the debate and get back on topic. I think this has been discussed far too much already.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #34 of 49 Old 10-19-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

a fresh conceptual approach that revolves around popular music set in a bygone era

Baz did the same thing with Romeo and Juliet -- a four hundred-year-old tragedy set to modern music.

Perhaps he'll film the Epic of Gilgamesh with a Lady Gaga/Taylor Swift soundtrack.

(By the way, love the reference to "Nature Boy," one of my favorite Nat King Cole songs.)

Disclaimer: I'm not ridiculing Baz (or Taylor Swift). I love his Romeo and Juliet and Moulin Rouge (except for its interpretation of Roxanne; sorry, nothing can make that one palatable). Taylor Swift is great.
post #35 of 49 Old 10-19-2010, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The image looks spectacular for a movie this old... In terms of the sound it's good but not great... I hope that the Sound of Music it's improved....

Christian

My DVD and Blu Ray collection

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
post #36 of 49 Old 10-19-2010, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

For starters the movie isn't old at all. Another thing while the film doesn't look bad for a 2K master, The Sound of Music will blow it out of the water. 8K scan and 4K master. Detail is the one area where Moulin Rouge could have been better. A 4K scan would have done wonders.
post #37 of 49 Old 10-20-2010, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post

For starters the movie isn't old at all. Another thing while the film doesn't look bad for a 2K master, The Sound of Music will blow it out of the water. 8K scan and 4K master. Detail is the one area where Moulin Rouge could have been better. A 4K scan would have done wonders.

It depends on what you call old.. To me a movie that is almost 10 years is considered old... In terms of the picture quality is very good and by having a 4K as you mentioned the level of detail would increase... My reference to the Sound of Music was with respect to the audio and not the video part.
While Moulin Rouge was good but not great.. In particular, I fell that the bass extension could of been better as well as some of the dynamics in certain musical numbers... I hope that in terms of sound quality the Sound of Music will be better...

Christian

My DVD and Blu Ray collection

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
post #38 of 49 Old 10-21-2010, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Watched this one last night. It's a sensory overload, to be certain. The movie is quite a jumbled mess throughout most of the first half-hour, and has spasms of out-of-control goofiness sprinkled over the rest of it as well. However, it captures the feeling of being love-struck like no other movie. The moment the movie really nails the audience with this feeling is at about 29 minutes in... an absolutely amazing moment. You'll know it when you see it.

Oh, and I loved the "Tango de Roxanne." The editing in that sequence is particularly effective.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #39 of 49 Old 10-21-2010, 08:50 AM

I got a copy of this, and though it looks good, I am a little surprised at the grain in the video. Despite it's starting scene's on-purpose antique look, I didn't remember seeing the kind of grain I'm seeing in the Blu-Ray when I watched the original film... I had somehow thought this disc would be less grainy.

Perhaps my HTPC setup needs tweaking? Or are people noticing grain present (and possibly purposeful) in the movie?

- Tim
post #40 of 49 Old 10-21-2010, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 15
I come from bollywood musical land and loved watching this.
post #41 of 49 Old 10-21-2010, 07:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Just received my bluray from netflix! I do like pq a lot though.

i was trying to back up and main movie with DTS HD is only under 25 GB though
post #42 of 49 Old 10-23-2010, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Just watched this on Blu Ray for the 1st time. Huge step up from the DVD for sure. Spot on review Ralph! I hope the neighbors enjoyed it as well, it was cranking!!

Jeff
post #43 of 49 Old 10-24-2010, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronghorn/az View Post

Just watched this on Blu Ray for the 1st time. Huge step up from the DVD for sure. Spot on review Ralph! I hope the neighbors enjoyed it as well, it was cranking!!

Jeff

Greetings,

Glad to hear it Jeff!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #44 of 49 Old 10-26-2010, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbessie View Post

I got a copy of this, and though it looks good, I am a little surprised at the grain in the video. Despite it's starting scene's on-purpose antique look, I didn't remember seeing the kind of grain I'm seeing in the Blu-Ray when I watched the original film... I had somehow thought this disc would be less grainy.

Perhaps my HTPC setup needs tweaking? Or are people noticing grain present (and possibly purposeful) in the movie?

- Tim

I watched the DVD in case I decided to buy the BD. The DVD is grainy throughout, not just in the old-timey B&W/tinted sequences. The reds are much better in the screencaps from the Blu-Ray Software thread, as is the general coloration - whites are whiter, skin looks more natural and not as red as on the DVD - and the picture is much more detailed than the DVD. If you like this movie, buying the BD should be a no-brainer. Even if it could have been mastered better, it's a quantum leap above the DVD in PQ.

But after watching it again, I don't think it holds up well to repeat viewings. So I think I'll be passing on the Blu-Ray. Maybe Netflix it sometime to see it in all its glory.
post #45 of 49 Old 03-07-2012, 02:33 PM

I have both formats. Are there any extras on the DVD that are not on the Blu-ray?
post #46 of 49 Old 03-08-2012, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantasteve View Post

I have both formats. Are there any extras on the DVD that are not on the Blu-ray?

Not that I can remember. I'm pretty sure all the BluRay extras are the crappy looking standard def ones
post #47 of 49 Old 08-20-2012, 11:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
decided to watch this tonight, and noticed my tx-nr 809 was showing 7.1 audio. The receiver is set to direct audio mode (which outs it in DTS MA), but I thought it was 5.1? Can someone see if their copy is displaying 7.1?
post #48 of 49 Old 08-21-2012, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonAlam View Post

decided to watch this tonight, and noticed my tx-nr 809 was showing 7.1 audio. The receiver is set to direct audio mode (which outs it in DTS MA), but I thought it was 5.1? Can someone see if their copy is displaying 7.1?

Greetings,

The DTS-HD Master Audio track on this disc is 5.1. I double checked this morning and my Onkyo 5508 indicates that it is receiving 5.1 channels.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #49 of 49 Old 08-21-2012, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
wierd, I try other 5.1 blu rays and they show up as 5.1 on the reciever, but Moulin keeps showing 7.1...
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Moulin Rouge Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page