Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2001
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 128 minutes
Genre: Musical/Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/Spanish/Portuguese/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, Portuguese
Starring: Nicole Kidman, Ewan McGregor, John Leguizamo, Jim Broadbent, Richard Roxburgh, Jacek Koman
Directed by: Baz Luhrmann
Music by: Craig Armstrong
Written by: Baz Luhrmann & Craig Pearce
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 19, 2010

"Spectacular Spectacular!"

Film Synopsis:

Venture behind the red velvet curtain and witness a spectacle beyond the imagination. Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor sing, dance and scale the heights of passionate abandon. Enter a tantalizing world where nothing is forbidden and everything is possible. The world of Moulin Rouge!

My Take:

Moulin Rouge tells the story of a young, English poet/writer, Christian, who falls in love with Satine cabaret actress, star and courtesan at the Moulin Rouge. Set in 1899 Paris The Moulin Rouge is a popular French nightclub that caters to society's decadent elite. When Satine unwittingly draws Christian into her spell, true love turns to tragedy in this kaleidoscope ride through a world of song, dance, romance and drama that celebrates trught, beauty, freedom and above all things, love.

I generally don't gravitate toward musicals so when Moulin Rouge was in theaters I had no inclination to see it. The hype that surrounded it afterward garnered my interest but didn't really push me to want to see it when it came to home video. What lured me in was a segment of the film that came on a DTS promotional DVD sampler. It contained the heart of the Come what may segment from the finale. I must have watched it a dozen times and realized that I HAD to see the rest of the film. I picked up the DVD and was hooked the first time I watched it in its entirety. Moulin Rouge is one of my all time favorites and I waited impatiently for it to come to Blu-ray. I love it for its emotion, wonderfully drawn characters, fantastical imagery, and superb infusion of modern pop music set to the debauchery, bohemianism, and edgy artistry depicted in the majestic world of Moulin Rouge. The story's primary elements of romance and drama are told through music via both large and small scale set pieces most of which feature the primary cast singing their own parts and an ensemble of supporting cast/dancers. It works very well thanks in large part to stars Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman's singing which in this case amounts to more than just the ability to carry a tune. He sometimes shouts but has great pitch when not doing so and she doesn't have an overpowering voice but has an alluring and pleasing tone. When they combine for duets the blend sounds terrific. The enriching script and masterfully executed screenplay coincide with the red curtain theme and mate perfectly with the subject matter while the cinematography and frenetic visual style go hand in hand to drive the old age rave atmosphere in the Moulin Rouge.

Writer/director Baz Luhrmann and co-writer Craig Pearce use love as a foundation to portray two souls from very different worlds who experience its magic for the first time. In Satine's case she breaks a cardinal rule by opening her heart and for Christian its a journey where he discovers that his fairytale notion of what love is comes full circle in the harsh reality that life can sometimes be. The narrative is driven by desire, love and jealousy as the story slowly builds to a dramatic and tragic climax where they ultimately find that the greatest thing you'll ever learn is to love and be loved in return. The primary members of the cast, Kidman, McGregor, John Leguizamo, Jim Broadbent, and Richard Roxburgh are marvelous in every regard. The film garnered 8 Academy Award nominations (including best actress for Nicole Kidman) and won for Best Art Direction and Best Costume Design. Through visionary director Baz Luhrmann's eyes Moulin Rouge is larger than life times two and shines brilliantly.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sexual and thematic content./p>

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 88

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Moulin Rouge comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 20 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.4 Mbps.

This is a high quality and faithful video presentation that enhances the grandiose cinematic visual style employed in the film. Fidelity appears intact as colors are vividly reproduced via sumptuous reds, lustrous primaries, and rich secondary hues that look simply beautiful in high definition. The period clothing/costumes have excellent tonal variation with descriptively intricate chromatic detail that collectively leap off of the screen. Fleshtone reproduction can be dependent on the particular visual scheme utilized (the film employs a variety) however in natural lighting they appear warm, lustrous and lifelike. Blacks are dynamic, gradationally satisfying and deep which is accentuated by contrast that is spot on and predominantly stable over the course of the presentation. The blend during onscreen sequences containing mixed light/dark elements looks superlative. A great example of this can be seen during the wide angle overhead shots of the audience during Satine's Diamonds are a girl's best friend. The old style tuxedo's appear a deep shade of black while the bright white of the shirts worn underneath pop against them giving the shot excellent depth. Detail in the variety of shadowy backgrounds and low lit environs featured in the story is excellent for the most part with only a few instances where visibility is diminished. Resolution is excellent especially during close ups which reveal crisp definition and fine textural nuance. Wide angle shots within the theater are equally rewarding and exhibit estimable dimension with appreciable object detail. Softening is apparent from time to time but appears innate and in most instances is attributable to the use of CGI. Grain is present in fine layers and provides an unobtrusive and filmic quality. This director guided re-mastering of Moulin Rouge looks superb and in high definition. It represents a notable upgrade over the standard definition version and looks simply marvelous.

The DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio soundtrack delivers an exhilarating surround sound experience. Being a musical style film it is important that the music be the focal point. From the opening of the Can Can number it becomes obvious that isn't going to be a problem. This is a well crafted soundtrack that exudes the purity and emotion of the message within the music. The entire surround platform is used to present the instrumental performances. The front three channels and subwoofer carry the bulk of the audio with the surrounds providing ambience and discretely placed effects that seamlessly bridge the gap between the front and rear sound fields. The result is a entertaining aural experience that is satisfying, involving and room filling. Instrument placement is discernible amidst the spatially wide soundstage as the orchestrated elements sound full bodied with smooth tonality and strident free highs. Low frequency effects provide a punchy low end that has quick attack and medium decay that resonates nicely. Spoken dialogue and singing voices are well intonated and inflectionally refined with only Nicole Kidman's voice exhibiting a few sibilant moments. The soundtrack is rich in clarity and detail while the mix creates a stable and involving listening environment that mates well with the video presentation and sounds marvelous.

Bonus Features:

• Spectacular Spectacular: Picture-in-picture/Bonusview interactive Mode - Features director/co-writer Baz Luhrmann, production designer Catherine Martin, director of photography Don McAlpine and co-writer Craig Pearce and offers behind the scenes footage, song/music info, photographs, video pods and more.

• Audio commentary by Baz Luhrmann, Catherine Martin, Donald M. Alpine and Craig Pearce

• (HD) A word from Baz - 2 minutes

• (HD) A creative adventure - 11 minute featurette

• The House of Iona - 7 minute featurette

• The making of Moulin Rouge - 25 minute featurette

• From the Bazmark vault:

1. Father and son
    2. Early cuts of Zidlers rap
    3. Baz releases unbridled lust
    4. A kiss, a touch, or a pat
    5. Nicole and Jim rehearse at Iona
    6. Ewan and Nicoles first dance
    7. Zidlers jig
    8. Directing man in the moon and deleted cut
    9. Directing Like a virgin
    10. The Dukes happy ending
    11. Jealousy Tango - The early tests
    12. Rehearsal footage - Jealousy Tango
    13. Rehearing Ravishment
    14. On-set with Toulouse Tonight
    15. Nicole Kidmans 1st vocal test

• The Stars - 5 segments

• The Writers - 2 segments

• The Design - 9 segments featuring interviews with the production team & a look behind the scenes

• The Dance - 4 extended sequences, includes an interview with choreographer John O'Connell

• The Music - 6 segments, includes interviews with Fatboy Slim and composer Craig Armstrong

• The Cutting Room - Includes previsualizations and interviews with Baz Luhrmann & editor Jill Billcock

• Toulouse Tonight Web Series - 9 segments featuring John Leguizamo and members of the cast/crew

• Marketing - 3 segments including two Theatrical trailers
attachment.php?attachmentid=188534&d=1287191150

Final Thoughts:

Baz Luhrmann's Moulin Rouge is purposefully larger than life, boldly brash, and highly entertaining as it invigorates the onscreen musical genre by spinning an oft used tale of love/tragedy along with a fresh conceptual approach that revolves around popular music set in a bygone era. Thanks to its superb casting, apt direction and opulent production values Moulin Rouge makes for a wonderful film experience that is simply made better by this superlative Blu-ray offering from 20th Century Fox. I don't consider myself a fan of musicals however this is a personal favorite that I absolutely enjoy every time I watch it. I am thrilled that it has come to Blu-ray and I am happy to report that the wait was well worth it. Highly Recommended.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2010, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had the misfortune to see it on a plane some years ago. Damn coach seats.

Horrible movie.

Evil is Good
Old 10-16-2010, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitod View Post

Horrible movie.

I'll never understand the need people feel to post about a movie they hated. Time to move on now.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

One of my favorites. I alway warn people when watching this one to get throught the first 15min of wackiness which puts off many before it calms down for the rest of the movie. Lots of Baz movies are like this for some reason.

My review comparisons of Energy RC-70s to Veritas V6.3 http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post21199418
Old 10-16-2010, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
This is one of my favorite musicals... I hope that it would be rated as a reference as the DVD was... I guess that it has to do more than newer films will simply look better than old ones...But I guess I will have wait and see until I get my copy...

Chris. My DVD and Blu Ray collection
Sony VPL HW55ES, ST 100, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
Old 10-16-2010, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Horrible movie.

No doubt panned & chopped with sound to match. This movie demands a good screen and sound system. When I first saw it I had the same reaction as Ralph, it was simply SPECTACULAR! Can't wait for this one. Thx Ralph.

Dave
Old 10-16-2010, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post

This is one of my favorite musicals... I hope that it would be rated as a reference as the DVD was... I guess that it has to do more than newer films will simply look better than old ones...But I guess I will have wait and see until I get my copy...

Greetings,

Don't worry, you won't be disappointed Chris.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 10-16-2010, 01:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Thanks Ralph.
I've been waiting for this on BR.

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
Old 10-16-2010, 01:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

Even with eye candy to the extreme, this film is Do yourself a favor and rent this one. Do not make a blind buy unless you know you like the film, or, have a large collection of Bette Midler and Judy Garland albums.

ROTFLOL

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
Old 10-16-2010, 02:07 PM

One of my All time favs will be added to my xmas list now that i know its on Bluray thanks!@
Old 10-16-2010, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:

Even with eye candy to the extreme, this film is almost impossible to watch.

I made it through the 1st half hour and could take no more.

Although I may have put it a bit less candidly, I have to agree this is a snoozer for me. Clearly a better bet for lovers of broadway musicals. I'm one who will FF through any musical number, period. I just don't get it.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Glad to see a high score on the PQ for this one. One of my favorite movies of all time and one that is very close to my heart (Come What May was mine and my wife's wedding song). I've put off rewatching this DVD because I've been waiting for Blu
Old 10-16-2010, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Even with eye candy to the extreme, this film is almost impossible to watch.

I made it through the 1st half hour and could take no more.

I'm posting this negative review as this is a review thread and to warn people that this title is not for everyone.

Do yourself a favor and rent this one. Do not make a blind buy unless you know you like the film, or, have a large collection of Bette Midler and Judy Garland albums.

As I suffered through the half hour I was able to stomach, I kept asking myself how something that looked so good, could be so bad. Still wondering.

I have to agree with this. Ok, times up, now I will disagree and strongly. When I first watched it I had the same reaction, dull, boring, the list went on and on. NOW I love it. The work that went into this movie and the music is awesome. It took maybe the 3rd time to really appreciate this movie. And how can anyone NOT like to watch Nicole Kidman?? Can't wait to see this with the family who loves it also! Great review as always Ralph and thank you!

Jeff
Old 10-16-2010, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
This is a superb romance, the singing focuses the emotional highs of the movie and the use of mostly modern music is a clever way to make the viewer feel closer, more familiar with the characters.

I HATED the idea of this movie, and didn't watch it till it had been out on video for years, then when I finally did see it, it quickly became one of my all time favorites. But its a romance, somewhat comedic, and somewhat dramatic as well, if you don't like romances, you may not like this film
Old 10-16-2010, 11:57 PM

This Blu review has inspired me to post on this forum for the first time, after many, many years of lurking.

This is one of my all-time favorite films, though as you can see by the posts in this thread, it may not be everyone's 'cup of tea.'

I assume that the lip-sync issues that plagued the DTS track of the DVD release have been resolved here? I always hated that I couldn't listen to the DVD in DTS sound due to the syncing issues. If you can tell me those problems are gone (I must assume they are with your enthusiastic review of the audio track) this will be a Day 1 purchase for me!

Thanks for all your fantastic reviews Mr. Potts, keep them coming!

-Matt
Old 10-17-2010, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

It took me 3 days to get through this movie the first time I saw it, as I really didn't like musicals at the time. It looked so good and some scenes kept me going until I finished it.
I'm glad I made it through as I wound up enjoying it, can't wait to see it in Blu, and now I give musicals a chance before I write them off.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Inappropriate discussion and posts removed. For those that think by not deleting posts AVS condones such posts...guess what? We don't...BUT because WE CAN"T READ EVERY POST....we don't know about offensive posts or posts that break the rules unless someone uses the report post icon (in the lower left corner of the offending post. The report post icon is the triangle with "!"). The lesson is don't comment on the post, just report it.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Feeler: I'm thinking of selling my JTR Triple 8HT's Let me know if you are interested?
For Sale: ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair)[/B]:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
Old 10-17-2010, 04:52 PM

I just might have to check this one out if I don't already have it on dvd

Old 10-17-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milambian View Post

This Blu review has inspired me to post on this forum for the first time, after many, many years of lurking.

This is one of my all-time favorite films, though as you can see by the posts in this thread, it may not be everyone's 'cup of tea.'

I assume that the lip-sync issues that plagued the DTS track of the DVD release have been resolved here? I always hated that I couldn't listen to the DVD in DTS sound due to the syncing issues. If you can tell me those problems are gone (I must assume they are with your enthusiastic review of the audio track) this will be a Day 1 purchase for me!

Thanks for all your fantastic reviews Mr. Potts, keep them coming!

-Matt

Welcome

Old 10-17-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

Inappropriate discussion and posts removed. For those that think by not deleting posts AVS condones such posts...guess what? We don't...BUT because WE CAN"T READ EVERY POST....we don't know about offensive posts or posts that break the rules unless someone like you uses the report post icon (in the lower left corner of the offending post). The lesson is don't comment on the post, just report it.

OK, I get it....but that guy REALLY bothered me, and I didn't know about the the reporting option, so I commented. Sorry if my reaction was against the rules. (not sure if this will be deleted or not)
Old 10-18-2010, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGuyOR View Post

I'll never understand the need people feel to post about a movie they hated. Time to move on now.

Wait. People post how they ENJOYED a particular movie and I can't post I didn't? Should I lie and join the bandwagon?

Evil is Good
Old 10-18-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:

Wait. People post how they ENJOYED a particular movie and I can't post I didn't? Should I lie and join the bandwagon?

I think it's fine to post negative comments. As noted, this section is about opinions on movies.

While I love Luhrman's Strictly Ballroom, I've never cottoned to this movie. It is eye-candy for sure, but the frenetic pace (all those cuts!) always overwhelms me and turns me off every time I try to watch it. For those who don't already know and love this film, definitely rent it first.

John K.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow4life View Post

OK, I get it....but that guy REALLY bothered me, and I didn't know about the the reporting option, so I commented. Sorry if my reaction was against the rules. (not sure if this will be deleted or not)

My comments weren't directed to you per se'...though if someone creates an inappropriate post, then we do ask that instead of responding, you use the report post icon. We ask people use the report post instead of responding for several reasons:

1) One is the comments usually lead to more posts and it creates a mess for the mods to clean up.

2) It's not uncommon that in responding that member steps over the line too and then we have to issue infractions to both the original offending post and the person responding (in like).

3) Usually if ppl ignore the offending post, the poster will stop or go away. The mods can then come in and delete the post and issue an infraction, if needed.

In this case, we had a member insinuate that AVS was blasé about homophobic comments because we did not delete the post...in reality the moderators did not see the post...and frankly we can't read every post. We are volunteers that take our personal time to visit the forum and check through posts that have been reported and visit those threads that have a history of issues etc. So simply put, report the post and the mods will take the appropriate action as it relates to the ownership's rules.

Sorry for the long winded explaination, but I thought some might benefit from hearing the reasons behind some of our actions.

Back to the topic.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Feeler: I'm thinking of selling my JTR Triple 8HT's Let me know if you are interested?
Old 10-18-2010, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Horrible movie.

Completely agree. And I enjoy musicals.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought this movie was ok.

But my initial question is. Hasn't this movie been released in Blu Ray before? I could've swore it was. I have to look through my collection but am pretty sure this has already been released.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

I thought this movie was ok.

But my initial question is. Hasn't this movie been released in Blu Ray before? I could've swore it was. I have to look through my collection but am pretty sure this has already been released.

It has not. It's available in dvd and d-vhs.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Old 10-18-2010, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:

Greetings,

Vitod, you're free to post your opinion as long as it remains in the context of the review thread. For those that want to discuss a particular film in depth there is a movie discussion forum here on AVS as well.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 10-18-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:

Horrible movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

Completely agree. And I enjoy musicals.

I believe this thread and ones like it are for commenting on the bluray release and the technical review of the product, not on wither or not you like the film...

That being said, I love this movie, it is a joy to watch and listen to the beauty of the effects and the unique use of sound effects

I have actually been checking the front page every day waiting for Ralph's review.

I am very glad he gave it such an outstanding review for the bluray release. I look forward to watching it on my new projector.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeeks View Post

I have actually been checking the front page every day waiting for Ralph's review.

Same here. At this point, a review of the film means nothing to me (I love the movie)....I just wanted the technical stuff, and as usual Ralph's review was very helpful!
Old 10-18-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post

Welcome

Thanks for the kind welcome! I look forward to participating in this forum more in the future!

On topic, I really look forward to watching some of the special features that will be on this new release!

Tags
Moulin Rouge Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Moulin by PriceGrabber.com