Back To The Future: 25th Anniversary Trilogy (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 95 Old 10-19-2010, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 517
attachment.php?attachmentid=188618&d=1287323524
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Universal – 1985, 1989, 1990
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 116 minutes, 109 minutes, 119 minutes
Genre: Sci-Fi/Comedy/Adventure

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: VC-1
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, Lea Thompson, Thomas F. Wilson, Crispin Glover, Claudia Wells, Marc McClure, Mary Steenburgen, Billy Zane, Casey Siemaszko
Directed by: Robert Zemeckis
Music by: Alan Silvestri
Written by: Robert Zemeckis & Bob Gale
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 26, 2010

"The Future has never looked better"

Film Synopsis:

Back to the future: From the Academy Award®-winning filmmakers Steven Spielberg and Robert Zemeckis comes Back to the Future, the original, groundbreaking adventure that sparked one of the most successful trilogies in Hollywood history. When teenager Marty McFly (Michael J. Fox) is blasted to 1955 in the DeLorean time machine created by the eccentric Doc Brown (Christopher Lloyd), he finds himself mixed up in a time-shattering chain reaction that could vaporize his future—and leave him trapped in the past. Powered by innovative special effects, unforgettable songs and non-stop action, Back to the Future is an unrivaled adventure that stands the test of time.

Back to the future part II: Getting back was only the beginning as the most spectacular time-travel adventure ever continues in Back to the Future Part II—the sequel that proves that lightning can strike twice! Picking up precisely where they left off, Marty and Doc (Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd) launch themselves to the year 2015 to fine-tune the future and inadvertently disrupt the space-time continuum. Now, their only chance to fix the present is by going back to 1955 again before it’s too late. From Academy Award®-winning filmmakers Steven Spielberg and Robert Zemeckis, Back to the Future Part II provides more of the timeless excitement that made Back to the Future an unforgettable adventure.,/p>

Back to future part III: They've saved the biggest trip for last as the most popular time-traveling movie trilogy ever comes to a rousing conclusion in Back to the Future Part III. Stranded in 1955 after a freak accident, Marty McFly (Michael J. Fox) discovers he must travel back to 1885 to rescue Doc Brown (Christopher Lloyd) before he becomes smitten with schoolteacher Clara Clayton (Mary Steenburgen). Now, it's up to Marty to keep Doc out of trouble, get the DeLorean running, and put the past, present and future on track so they can all get back to where—and when—they belong. From the Academy Award®-winning filmmakers Steven Spielberg and Robert Zemeckis, Back to the Future Part III is a spectacular grand finale to the unforgettable blockbuster series.

My Take:

I have been a fan of Back to the future since seeing it in the theater back in 1985. Michael J. Fox was already well known to me from TV’s Family Ties and the film’s premise looked like lots of fun. Of course it turned out to be an instant classic that propelled Fox to stardom which led to more films including a pair of Back to the future sequels. Using time travel as the plot in film was nothing extraordinary however Back to the future brought it to life in a meaningful way that seemed tangible back then. The idea of a kid that most of us could easily identify with getting sucked up in an adventure where he goes back in time (via a very cool Delorean) was promising but taking it a step further by having him inadvertently disrupt the sequence of events 30 years earlier that led to his parents meeting (which could result in him ceasing to exist altogether) opens a Pandora’s box filled with conceptual possibility. The outcome was a thoroughly entertaining, multi-genre film the likes of which I had never seen before. Combining elements of science fiction, comedy, and action/adventure Back to the future titillated our imaginations and appealed to our sensibilities via a superbly constructed script/screenplay that never felt cheesy/corny and led us on an almost painstaking journey filled with clever references, laugh out loud moments and “credible” action that was only over the top enough to garner the occasional raising of an eyebrow.

The idea of needing to get “Back” to the future was just plain cool and the integration of the characters within the two timelines and how Marty interacted with them was brilliant. The idea of NOT interfering with the past due to its residual effects on the present (or future) is clear but who can blame Marty for “tweaking” things a bit? The concept of tweaking the past and future is what drives the continuing storyline in the two sequels. Part II finds Doc and Marty headed to the future in order to prevent Marty and Jennifer’s children from running afoul of the law. Their presence there sets off a chain of events involving bad guy Biff and his time tinkering which results in an alternate and darkly unpleasant “present” 1985. Doc and Marty head back to 1955 to stop Biff however while righting those wrongs Doc and the DeLorean are accidentally sent back to 1885 with no way to return. Fortunately Doc is right at home in the old west, that is, until Marty and 1955 Doc discover that he gets shot in the back by Mad Dog Tannen (you guessed it Biff’s great grandfather). Once again Marty finds himself traveling through time in the third and final installment.

My adoration for Back to the future doesn’t quite extend to the sequels. Part II wasn’t a bad movie (I liked the idea of the revisit to 1955 as it simultaneously pertains to the events as they unfolded in the first film) but it feels campy and lacking the cleverness, and pitch perfect blend of humor and action that made Back to the future so good. Part III’s trip to the old west and the Doc/Clara romantic subplot turned out to be better than expected and made for an entertaining follow up to part II and a decent finish to the trilogy.

I love the endearing characters in Doc, Marty, and Lorraine as played by Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd and Lea Thompson. Honorable mention must go out to Thomas F. Wilson in the role of Biff/Mad Dog Tannen. He truly was terrific in his portrayal of the multi-faced/time driven characters who not only make for a perfect foil for Fox’s Marty McFly but add something special to each of the films. I can’t help but feel badly for Claudia Wells who played Jennifer in Back to the future. She was unable to return for the sequels due to her mother’s illness and replaced by Elizabeth Shue, who was just fine of course.

Back to future is a classic film which has become engrained as a part of our pop culture. It has a remarkably timeless appeal that has remained constant over the 25 years since its release. While I don’t feel that the two sequels rise to its level they enrich it by bringing the story and characters full circle in a homogenous light. It has been one of the most anticipated high definition releases of the year and I am happy to report that this 25th Anniversary Blu-ray Disc Edition from Universal is a winner. Read on.

**It should be noted that the trifold style Blu-ray case containing the discs is unlike any that I have seen and can make removal of the discs frustrating if you don’t know how. Each set of discs (the Blu-ray and digital copy for each), occupies its own section in the trifold arrangement. Unfold the set so that all three are visible and lay it on a flat surface (the Blu-ray Disc is on top of the digital copy). Looking at the bottom of the cutout where the disc is there are two plastics tabs that act as springs to keep the disc in place. Apply pressure by sliding the disc (top toward the tabs) and lifting it out. Replacing it is done in the reverse. The same goes for the digital copy underneath which will become obvious once the Blu-ray disc is removed. **

Parental Guide:

The rating for theses films is for thematic material.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 86

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Back to the future comes to Blu-ray disc from Universal HE featuring 1080p VC-1 encoded video that has an average bitrate of 28 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.2 Mbps.

Back to the future – part II comes to Blu-ray disc from Universal HE featuring 1080p VC-1 encoded video that has an average bitrate of 29 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.3 Mbps.

Back to the future – part III comes to Blu-ray disc from Universal HE featuring 1080p VC-1 encoded video that has an average bitrate of 29 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4 Mbps.

In looking at the three films I found that overall audio/video quality was similar and didn’t require individual ratings/commentary. In looking at each of these films it is clearly evident that care went into restoring them. It is important to keep in mind that these films contain many special effects shots that were the shizz back in the day but don’t integrate as well by today’s standards. Add to that the revealing aspects of high definition and you have effects that aren’t nearly as smooth/cohesive as we have become accustomed to in the digital age. I noted that during some (not all) of the close up camera shots facial features appeared to have been “touched up”. I wouldn’t describe it in the same vein as excessive digital scrubbing and it probably has more to do with minor imperfections on the print that needed attention. The remainder of the frame doesn’t suffer and the application is mild enough that most viewers may not even notice it. I found the overall the quality of these video encodings to be high and within the scope of films original elements. Colors are beautifully rendered with revealing delineation, tonal warmth, and vivid textures. The softer earth toned hues seen in the western settings in part III offer lifelike depiction and spot on tonal balance. Facial complexions and skin tones are warm, with natural pinkish highlights.

Images are appreciably detailed and sharp. The level of detail present only appears to fluctuate in the presence of effects laden shots, otherwise the video’s 1.85:1 frame has excellent dimension. I had no trouble making out the thread patterns in clothing, facial features or the texture on surfaces. Well balanced black and white levels bring out plenty of visible detail in both bright and dark segments onscreen. The nighttime segments shot in the town square and in particular the parking lot at the Hill Valley Mall, have appreciable dynamic range and depth. This aids in the perception of low level detail in sequences such as the (aforementioned) Hill Valley Mall parking lot (when Marty first gets sent back to 1955), Biff’s garage in part II (when Marty gets locked in while trying to get the sports almanac), and during part III’s mine sequence where the DeLorean is hidden. Film grain is intact, appears well preserved and is consistently rendered over the course of each presentation. There is little to fault here and I found that making a comparison to the DVD releases is an exercise in futility as these films look demonstrably better.

The high resolution DTS-HD MA audio mix does a terrific job rendering these 20 + year old soundtracks. Dialogue has discernible intonation, with distinctive clarity and above average room penetration. These are more or less front oriented presentations that make effective use of the entire system to deliver the action based components which are highlighted by solid impact, defining clarity, and Alan Silvestri’s memorable music. Dynamic range is good, a bit more so in the two newer films although the limitations inherent in the original recordings are noticeable but not defining. Surround activity isn’t constant but when applied can be copious as discernible spatial ambience and discrete sounds fill the listening area. The LFE channel is similarly used to punctuate sound effects like the rumble of the DeLorean’s engine or the thrust of the Flux Capacitor as it kicks in just before launch. The soundtracks run the gamut and contain a variety of audio cues/spatial dimension that extends the soundstage. This includes the enriching envelopment of the music as well as the discrete placement of sounds such as a hovering helicopter as it travels from the right front of the soundstage around the rear to the left front. Imaging across the front is excellent while front to rear integration isn’t quite as cohesive. I noted that sounds mixed to the rear channels tend to be a bit more prominent than music which skews balance. The overall effect doesn’t prove overtly distracting though. I found the lossless audio presentations to be quite good and a discernible improvement over their lossy counterparts. In my opinion each serves to complete an excellent overall audio/video presentation that fans are sure to appreciate.

Bonus Features:

• Back to the future:

• (HD) 7 deleted/1 extended scene with optional commentary by Bob Gale

• (HD) Tales from the Future: in the beginning…- 27 minute featurette

• (HD) Tales from the Future: time to go – 30 minute featurette

• (HD) Tales from the Future: keeping time – 5 minute featurette

• Archival featurettes:

1. The making of Back to the future – 14 minutes
    2. Making the Trilogy: chapter one – 15 minutes
    3. Back to the future night: NBC TV broadcast hosted by Leslie Nielsen – 27 minutes

• Michael J. Fox Q&A – 8 segment retrospective

• Behind the scenes:

1. Original make-up tests
    2. Outtakes
    3. Nuclear test sequence with optional commentary by producer Bob Gale
    4. Photo galleries – Including Production Art, Additional Storyboards, Photographs, Marketing Materials and Character Portraits

• Huey Lewis and the News “Power of love” music video

• Theatrical teaser trailer

• Q&A commentary with Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale

• Feature commentary with producers Bob Gale & Neil Canton

• My Scenes bookmark feature

• BD-Live enabled

• D-Box Motion Code enabled

• Pocket Blu - App for iPOD/iPHONE

• Universal’s U-Control

• Digital Copy Bonus Disc

• Back to the future part II:

• (HD) 4 deleted/3 extended scenes with optional commentary by producer Bob Gale

• (HD) Tales from the Future: Time Flies – 28 minute featurette

• (HD) The physics of Back to the future with Dr. Michio Kaku (theoretical physicist) – 8 minutes

• Archival featurettes

1. The making of back to the future part II – 6 minutes
    2. Making the Trilogy: chapter two – 15 minutes

• Behind the scenes:

1. Outtakes
    2. Production design
    3. Story boarding
    4. Designing the Delorean
    5. Designing time travel
    6. Hoverboard test
    7. Evolution of visual effects shots
    8. Photo galleries – Including Production Art, Additional Storyboards, Photographs, Marketing Materials and Character Portraits

• Theatrical trailer

• Q&A commentary with Robert Zemeckis & Bob Gale

• BD-Live enabled

• Universal’s U-Control

• Back to the future part III:

• (HD)Deleted scene with optional commentary by Bob Gale

• (HD) Tales from the Future: third times the charm – 17 minute featurette

• (HD) Tales from the Future: the test of time – 17 minute featurette

• Archival featurettes:

1. Outtakes
    2. Designing the Town of Hill Valley
    3. Designing the campaign
    4. Photo galleries – Including Production Art, Additional Storyboards, Photographs, Marketing Materials and Character Portraits

• ZZ Top “Double back” music video

• FAQ’s about Back to the future

• Theatrical trailer

• Back to the future: The Ride

• Q&A commentary with Robert Zemeckis & Bob Gale

• Feature commentary with producers Bob Gale & Neil Canton

• BD-Live enabled

• Universal’s U-Control

Final Thoughts:

Back to the future is a classic film which has become engrained as a part of our pop culture. It has a remarkably timeless appeal that has remained constant over the 25 years since its release. I don’t feel that the two sequels quite rise to its level however they enrich it by bringing the story and characters full circle in a homogenous light that makes for an entertaining trilogy. As one of the most anticipated high definition releases of the year and I am happy to report that this 25th Anniversary Blu-ray Disc Edition from Universal Home Entertainment brings them to home video featuring excellent high definition audio/video quality and comprehensive and fan friendly bonus features that combine to truly enhance the experience of the Back to the future trilogy. This is a must have package regardless of your affinity for one, two or all three films. Enjoy!

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 95 Old 10-19-2010, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Great review Ralph, i was on the fence for this one(wondering about the video quality). Your review pushed me over the edge, definitely gonna get these now.

PSN Id:blitz500

post #3 of 95 Old 10-19-2010, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Great review Ralph as usual.

Been waiting for this one to come to BR for sometime now. Big fan of this movie because of it's classic timeline. And also thanks for the instructions on how to open up the Blu Ray packaging.

My favorite Back to the Future is part 2 because of it's futuristic settings.

Definitely a collect!

Cheers
post #4 of 95 Old 10-19-2010, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Thanks for the review Ralph! I am glad to hear that the trilogy has been ported over to Blu-ray in a proper manner. Of course, some of the special effects will stand out like a sore thumb in a movie like this in high definition, but that is 100% understandable. I'm also glad to hear they didn't use excessive DNR. I pre-ordered this from Amazon as they had a really good price on it. Can't wait to get the trilogy! Once again, I appreciate the review. This was a very highly detailed review that covered a lot.
post #5 of 95 Old 10-19-2010, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm also a big fan of these movies (according to Part II we should have hoverboards in 5 years!). This collection is definitely going on my list.
post #6 of 95 Old 10-19-2010, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Great review Ralph. Can't wait to get my copies... It sounds like a pain .. to take the discs out...

Chris.

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
post #7 of 95 Old 10-19-2010, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Excellent review as always. I just wanted to mention, I am not certain if you planned to go back and clarify the relationship between Biff and Mad Dog Tannen that you start in the second paragraph of "My Take", but MDT is Biff's great-grandfather
post #8 of 95 Old 10-19-2010, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Another thank-you from me. Good work as always Ralph!
post #9 of 95 Old 10-19-2010, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
oh crap, this is the third version I have to buy now...
post #10 of 95 Old 10-19-2010, 04:03 PM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

that were the shizz back in the day

Nice!

Thanks for the review...I need to get a hold of this and give the 3 a spin ---Its been far too long since I saw all 3. I am really dying to see the footage of the first five weeks of the shoot with Eric Stoltz as Marty McFly.

Lee

post #11 of 95 Old 10-19-2010, 04:17 PM

Liked: 12
Does anyone know if I can buy a Mr. Fusion yet?
post #12 of 95 Old 10-19-2010, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjohnson1717 View Post

Does anyone know if I can buy a Mr. Fusion yet?

Amazon.com....they have EVERYTHING!

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #13 of 95 Old 10-19-2010, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Thank you Ralph. Fabulous review. I'm extremely excited to experience these blus for myself.
post #14 of 95 Old 10-19-2010, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Great review Ralph...mine is posting tomorrow and we have similar takes on not only the movies, but on the A/V quality.

David Vaughn

post #15 of 95 Old 10-19-2010, 05:16 PM

i been waiting for this for long time i cant wait to get this......
post #16 of 95 Old 10-19-2010, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Great review Ralph...mine is posting tomorrow and we have similar takes on not only the movies, but on the A/V quality.

Greetings,

Thanks Dave. I will peek in on yours tomorrow.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #17 of 95 Old 10-19-2010, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weber View Post

Nice!

Thanks for the review...I need to get a hold of this and give the 3 a spin ---Its been far too long since I saw all 3. I am really dying to see the footage of the first five weeks of the shoot with Eric Stoltz as Marty McFly.

Greetings,

You're welcome partner..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #18 of 95 Old 10-19-2010, 07:19 PM

Liked: 17
Losing Crispin Glover in the second sequel really hurt it IMO. The third film, not so much.

Also looking forward to the Eric Stoltz footage!
post #19 of 95 Old 10-19-2010, 08:49 PM

Thanks for the great review! I'm still not sure if I will purchase this set anytime soon, as I realized I had only watched my DVD set once in all the time I have owned it, but it wouldn't surprise me if sometime in the next year I will once again feel the itch to view these films.

It is a relief to know the audio and video transfers won't hold me back when I eventually feel the need to scratch that itch. Sounds like a definite must-have for the true fans of these films!

(I am amused by the fact that the ebay ad at the bottom of this page is giving me prices on DeLoreans! Talk about smart marketing )
post #20 of 95 Old 10-19-2010, 10:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Thanks for great review
post #21 of 95 Old 10-20-2010, 06:48 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Thanks for the review Ralph, hopefully I should be able to pick up a copy tomorrow.

Frank

post #22 of 95 Old 10-20-2010, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weber View Post

I am really dying to see the footage of the first five weeks of the shoot with Eric Stoltz as Marty McFly.

I saw a very short clip of Eric Stoltz playing Marty. It was at the restaurant scene and man does it look pretty uncanny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Where do you post your review? Do you have a link you can share?
post #23 of 95 Old 10-20-2010, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

Where do you post your review? Do you have a link you can share?

It will be at UltimateAVmag.com, but I can't post a direct link. It's the second item on the homepage (just went live).

David Vaughn

post #24 of 95 Old 10-20-2010, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 162
BTTF 1: A must own classic..some of the under-radar quips from Doc are especially timeless:

Doc: "please excuse the crudity of the model (which looks fantastic, btw)...I didn't have time to paint it or build it to scale."

Marty (patting him on the back...) "it's alright Doc."

BTTF 2: Terribly underrated, thought certainly not up to the first.

BTTF 3: One of the most horrendous major releases I've ever seen.

A must buy for me, but I'm sure a good sum will really just want the original.

Man was 3 terrible!

My $.02.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #25 of 95 Old 10-20-2010, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Great review. I saw this in it's original theatrical run as well. What a treat for a teenager back in the day. I have not seen this for many years and barely remember the sequels. Will be interesting to see how the first holds up to my nostalgic memories.

post #26 of 95 Old 10-20-2010, 01:38 PM

Liked: 11
The video being scored at 88 was just a coincidence right
post #27 of 95 Old 10-20-2010, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

BTTF 1: A must own classic..some of the under-radar quips from Doc are especially timeless:

Doc: "please excuse the crudity of the model (which looks fantastic, btw)...I didn't have time to paint it or build it to scale."

Marty (patting him on the back...) "it's alright Doc."

BTTF 2: Terribly underrated, thought certainly not up to the first.

BTTF 3: One of the most horrendous major releases I've ever seen.

A must buy for me, but I'm sure a good sum will really just want the original.

Man was 3 terrible!

My $.02.

James

enn? One is in my top 10...2 stunk, and three is probably in my all time fav top 25. Couldn't disagree more on 3.....have u ever seen the Next Karate Kid?
post #28 of 95 Old 10-20-2010, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SbWillie View Post

enn? One is in my top 10...2 stunk, and three is probably in my all time fav top 25. Couldn't disagree more on 3.....have u ever seen the Next Karate Kid?

The first act of #2 is horrendous, but gets better once they travel back in time. I agree with you on #3 (although it's not one of my favorites), but it is better than #2.

David Vaughn

post #29 of 95 Old 10-20-2010, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbkillen View Post

The video being scored at 88 was just a coincidence right

Good catch! Can't wait to see it!!

Jeff
post #30 of 95 Old 10-20-2010, 07:53 PM

Great review as always Ralph! I look forward to picking these up, much appreciated sir!
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Back To The Future 25th Anniversary Trilogy Digital Copy Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Back by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page