Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2010
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 107 minutes
Genre: Sci-Fi/Action

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, Portuguese, Cantonese, Mandarin
Starring: Adrien Brody, Alice Braga, Topher Grace, Walton Goggins, Laurence Fishburne, Danny Trejo, Louis Ozawa Changchien, Oleg Taktarov
Directed by: Nimrod Antal
Music by: John Debney
Written by: Alex Litvak & Michael Finch
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 19, 2010

"Fear is reborn "

Film Synopsis:

Robert Rodriguez presents Predators, a bold new chapter in the Predator universe. Adrien Brody stars as Royce, a mercenary who reluctantly leads a group of elite warriors mysteriously brought together on a jungle planet. But when these cold-blooded human predators find themselves in all-out war against a new breed of alien Predators, it's the ultimate showdown between hunter and prey.

My Take:

I am a fan of the Predator franchise, especially the original film, and have enjoyed its various incarnations over the years. I saw the trailer for Predators and seeing that Robert Rodriguez was involved piqued my interest so I anxiously waiting for it to come to Blu-ray. I like the opening and the fact that there is little setup before being thrown into the fray. This is an action film however it is also character driven which like the original Predator is essential to its narrative. The plot is simple in that 9 people from varying backgrounds, all linked to predatory skills, are dropped (literally) onto a alien planet that serves as a hunting preserve for the Predator species. Their purpose is to provide worthy prey, their objective is to survive. Eight of the nine are armed and well versed in some form of technical expertise which qualifies them as a candidate for such a purpose while one is clearly not which leaves him a question mark. He remains that way until the final act which I liked. Predators feels much like to original film and there are several moments that pay homage to it which is also something I appreciated. Lastly I thought that the inclusion of non-military types, like Hanzo, a Chinese assassin made things more interesting (he is a man of few words and my favorite of the bunch). In this story the group is facing off against a trio of Predators that are a bit larger and better equipped than those from past films. Another added elements is that we are shown that there are differing species among them and that they have captured a Predator, (like those we have seen before), and treat him as an enemy.

As the story develops we see the group of individuals begin to act and think as a unit which is vital to their survival. Unfortunately it wouldn't be a Predator film without people dying and they do. Luckily we are given a chance to connect with them which adds meaning to their demise. There is plenty of action and noteworthy special effects which keeps things moving at a nice clip. I had two minor quibbles. I felt that Laurence Fishburne's cameo was out of place, disruptive, and added nothing to the story. I felt that the ending could have been fleshed out more and ultimately wasn't rewarding. In a film like this neither was truly a detriment. I thought the cast was well chosen which added depth to the minimal subplots going on. I never really saw Adrien Brody as the leading action type but he does just fine. I have seen Alice Braga portray strong female characters before and she handles the role with aplomb. Topher Grace, Danny Trejo, Louis Ozawa Changchien, and Oleg Taktarov are equally deserving of praise as well. Predators isn't among the best action films I have seen and it does borrows a bit from the original film but its executed quite well and has a an appeal that does somehow manage to feel fresh. The result is exactly what you would expect it to be and made for a pretty exciting ride.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong violence and gore and pervasive language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 88

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Predators comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 27 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.8 Mbps.

Predators was shot on high definition video and has a dark and primarily singular chromatic visual style that doesn't lend itself to vivid colors and high gloss imagery. There are instances where brighter elements/deeper color extension are utilized, such as in the foliage laden jungle or crackling fires at the Predator encampment. These sequences provide stark contrast that allows them to pop visually. Otherwise onscreen images predominantly lean toward darker color schemes, and grittier textures that provide the look that the filmmakers strove for to drive the story's components. This is done to excellent effect. Shadow delineation is quite good and revealing of subtle details within dark backgrounds and low lighting which enhances visual depth. Stable contrast and well balanced/punchy blacks allow scenes containing mixed content to appear gradationally satisfying via crisp whites and dark dynamic highlights. Resolution is discerning as images are characterized by intricate and definitively rendered detail that gives the video appreciable dimension and delineated texture. The video is pristinely rendered and appears incredibly film like.

A movie such as Predators lives or dies (no pun intended) by its soundtrack and this DTS-HD MA lossless presentation gets it right. This is a active surround sound mix that features an immersive array of well placed effects and pinpoint imaging that pray upon your aural senses. Near field pans and low level detail is accurately placed within the sound field which provides multi-dimensional perspective that places you in the middle of the action. I appreciated the attention to detail that went into creating the surround mix as it effectively replicates the environments featured in the film. Bass is rich, authoritative, and room energizing as it accentuates the audio's excellent dynamic range with palpable impact. Dialogue intelligibility is never a problem even during the film's active moments. This is an entertaining surround sound experience that made this film all the more enjoyable.

Bonus Features:

• Audio commentary by Robert Rodriguez and Nimrod Antal

• (HD) Moments of extraction: Robert Rodriguez presents motion comic vignettes voiced by the films cast - 8 minutes:

1. Noland intro (part 1)
    2. Isabelle
    3. Cuchillo
    4. Hanzo
    5. Mombasa
    6. Noland ending

• (HD) Crucified - 2 minute feature

• (HD) Evolution of the species - Predators reborn (6 featurettes):

1. Bloodline - 3 minutes
    2. Decloaking the invisible: Alien terrain - 10 minutes
    3. Intelligent design: The hunting camp - 5 minutes
    4. Predators as prey - 9 minutes
    5. Yuatja transformed - 6 minutes
    6. Rite of passage - 4 minutes

• Fox Movie Channel presents: Making a scene - 7 minutes

• (HD) 9 deleted/extended scenes

• (HD) Theatrical trailer

• Exclusive Features:

1. Live Lookup - Powered by IMBD
    2. Live Extras: Available via download or streaming - Exclusive set visit, Robert Rodriguez Intro, Predators as prey (same as above), Theatrical trailer

• Digital Copy Bonus Disc

Final Thoughts:

Predators is a decent sci-fi/action film that conceptually borrows from the original Predator without feeling like a pointless rehashing. As a fan of the original I feel that this implementation works for similar reasons by engaging viewers with plenty of action and underscored characters. Although it isn't among the best action films I have seen it's executed well and has a an appeal that manages to feel fresh. Its debut on Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox is a fans delight that offers excellent high definition audio/video quality and a strong compliment of bonus features. If you're a fan of the Predator film franchise this one is definitely worth checking out.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old 10-24-2010, 11:36 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Thanks, Ralph. Really been wanting to see this one since most comparisons place it better than all but the original movie (which I loved). Nice to see some good marks for a/v, as well.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #3 of 58 Old 10-24-2010, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm looking forward to this one as I also liked the original movie.
Unfortunately the last couple of Predator movies were pretty disappointing so this will hopefully this installment will put the franchise back on the right track.
Thanks Ralph for the review.
post #4 of 58 Old 10-24-2010, 11:39 AM

Liked: 10
i liked this one. i watched it yesterday and i thought that it was almost as good as the original and i thought it had some good twists.

post #5 of 58 Old 10-24-2010, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Watched it last night and enjoyed it a lot. It is, perhaps, unfair to continually compare remakes to the original but you can't escape that and in my opinion the original was a better movie. I preferred the characters in the original but agree with Ralph that the Japanese (not Chinese) Yakuza was my favorite as well.

If the original was a 90/100 then this one would be closer to 70/100.

Brian
post #6 of 58 Old 10-24-2010, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I would LOVE to be able to watch this but you can't rent the damn thing anywhere! Netflix won't have it for ANOTHER 3 weeks or so due to their stupid contracts they signed with the studios, and who KNOWS when the HELL blockbuster will have it in stock!!! I tell ya right now IS NOT a good time to be a Predator FAN!!!!! These are dark times indeed...

Anyways, thanks for another great review Ralph

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #7 of 58 Old 10-24-2010, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Excellent review Ralph. You are always very well written.
I'm looking forward to watching Predators tonight.
post #8 of 58 Old 10-24-2010, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

I would LOVE to be able to watch this but you can't rent the damn thing anywhere! Netflix won't have it for ANOTHER 3 weeks or so due to their stupid contracts they signed with the studios, and who KNOWS when the HELL blockbuster will have it in stock!!! I tell ya right now IS NOT a good time to be a Predator FAN!!!!! These are dark times indeed...

I have it from blockbuster (mailed to me rental). I dumpted netflix months ago -- in order to get new releases when they are actually released.
post #9 of 58 Old 10-24-2010, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

I have it from blockbuster (mailed to me rental). I dumpted netflix months ago -- in order to get new releases when they are actually released.

Damn.... yea I have been tempted to dump them for blockbuster, just that I've been with netflix for like 10 years now. I may reinstate my blockbuster account which I tried out awhile ago, but lately when I check out blockbuster, to see if I should take the plunge on them, they keep showing certain movies as having a long or short wait. Movies like Predators, Splice, and Night of the Demons. When you click on what they mean by a "Long wait" and it says it could take up to 2-4 weeks to get it in stock!

Not sure what the hell to do.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #10 of 58 Old 10-24-2010, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Just watched it yesterday. Although it was better than the last installment, it's still miles behind the original, which has achieved cult status, and is one of my favourite Schwarzenegger flicks.
post #11 of 58 Old 10-24-2010, 05:40 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

The Characters are more unique with a better ethnic make up.. But the characters lack the Charisma of Ventura & Arnold.. & none of the characters better Dutch, Blaine, Billy, & Dillion.. Was a testosterone fest with those guys.. The Japanese assassin was good, & had the best fight scene in the film.. But seemed a bit silly walking about with a sword..But from a excitement & fun factor it worked.. I will buy this film.. The ending is begging for a sequal.. Maybe more predators. Predators 2.. Or too many predators.. I think Hollywood is ruining a great thing.. I can accept Predator & Predators.. The others are just lame remakes to profit off the greatest & most advanced Sci Fi creature ever created..

I'd give it 75/100.. The original 95/100..

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
post #12 of 58 Old 10-24-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

I use VUDU when I cant wait Really looked nice in HDX 1080p streaming
post #13 of 58 Old 10-24-2010, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Cool, sounds like a decent action flic. I will have to add it to my Predator catalog.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #14 of 58 Old 10-25-2010, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Nice review Ralph! I'm really looking forward to this one....the original Predator was one of my favorite films of the 80s. AVP was good, not great....and AVP:Requiem was just awful. I'm hoping this one rekindles my interest in the franchise....and by the sounds of it, I'm optimistic!
post #15 of 58 Old 10-25-2010, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Good review Ralph. I saw this movie in the theater and totally agree about Fishburne's part being non-essential to the movie and in a way actually side-lined the story. Will probably rent at Blockbuster until the price comes down.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #16 of 58 Old 10-25-2010, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Thought this movie was actually better than the previous Predator's i've seen. Definitely worth checking out.

Cheers
post #17 of 58 Old 10-25-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

A fan would've bought the physical disc? Just saying.
post #18 of 58 Old 10-25-2010, 08:58 AM

Ralph,

Just curious. Your review of the DTS-MA soundtrack was quite praiseworthy. What was it in your mind that made it not warrant a reference score?

Regards,

Tim
post #19 of 58 Old 10-25-2010, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Watched it last night. Absolutely fantastic. Love that the musical score mimics the original Predator.
post #20 of 58 Old 10-25-2010, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowBudget5.1 View Post

Ralph,

Just curious. Your review of the DTS-MA soundtrack was quite praiseworthy. What was in your mind that made it not warrant a reference score?

Regards,

Tim

Greetings,

Tim, I didn't see it theatrically so I have no point of reference. I thought it was a very well balanced surround mix but felt that it lacked the dynamic prowess and totally involving bass that would have elevated it to a reference score. Of course it didn't miss by much and really is an excellent all around audio presentation.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #21 of 58 Old 10-25-2010, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

My two gripes about this movie, which I generally liked:

1. If the Lawrence Fishburn character could use the Predator's helmet and cloaking tech, why didn't the human group investigate that when they had the opportunity? (don't want to give away any spoilers)

2. the digital copy in the blu-ray pack is totally useless trying to use it on an Android smartphone. It is DRM-locked and won't generate a file compatible with Android. The whole world is NOT an Apple product!!!!

post #22 of 58 Old 10-25-2010, 12:00 PM

I thought the movie was great and very entertaining. One thing I kept waiting for was that scene from the trailer where there are like 15 laser sights popping up on the main character. When I didnt see it, I thought I was losing it so went back and checked the trailer and sure enough it was there. I am no movie fanatic, but is it normal for the trailer to contain scenes not in the movie?
post #23 of 58 Old 10-25-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moontz View Post

I thought the movie was great and very entertaining. One thing I kept waiting for was that scene from the trailer where there are like 15 laser sights popping up on the main character. When I didnt see it, I thought I was losing it so went back and checked the trailer and sure enough it was there. I am no movie fanatic, but is it normal for the trailer to contain scenes not in the movie?

It happens. Often the TV spot trailers are made before post-production is complete. And a particular scene in the TV spot may end up on the cutting room floor in the final film. Same thing happened with the movie The Quick and the Dead with Sharon Stone. There was a racy looking sex scene with Sharon Stone and someone in the TV ad spot trailer, but wasn't in the film.
post #24 of 58 Old 10-25-2010, 07:51 PM

Danny Trejo equally deserving of praise?!?!?! Come on!
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
He barely made it past the opening credits! He totally blew my office pool (order and timing of deaths, and who survives). Rodriguez must have convinced him to be in the film if the shoot lasted one day max.

But otherwise, the review is dead on. I was surprised that I got through it without being disappointed in Brody as a leading action man. And the Fishbourne part was totally unnecessary (the most interesting part about that section of the movie was seeing how much weight he's gained since the Matrix movies).
post #25 of 58 Old 10-25-2010, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Hey guys, how bout some spoiler tags here? Some of us haven't seen the movie yet!
post #26 of 58 Old 10-26-2010, 03:42 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 252
I quite enjoyed this one it was really good.

Frank
post #27 of 58 Old 10-26-2010, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I quite enjoyed this one it was really good.

Same here. Still prefer Arnold's PREDATOR, but this one comes pretty close.
post #28 of 58 Old 10-26-2010, 07:32 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeb View Post

Same here. Still prefer Arnold's PREDATOR, but this one comes pretty close.

I agree

Frank
post #29 of 58 Old 10-26-2010, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 612
I'm a fan and blind bought this when it came out. Ralph's review was spot on, as usual. I think we all prefer Ahnolds movie, but this new one is a fun romp.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #30 of 58 Old 10-26-2010, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Ralph:

I agree with your accessment of the soundtrack. In the beginning of the film, the boldness of the soundtrack stood out...then the last hour I felt it really lack any bass omph...esp. in some of the explosions that took place in the last 30 mins.

I know some in the BR software thread have complained about how dark the images are in the later half of the film. I don't think they lack detail, but I would describe the black level as lacking at times, which made some scenes appear flat.

I would assume the differences in black level for you vs me stems from your JVC's inky blacks vs my Planar adequate black level.

Ron
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Predators Digital Copy Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Predators by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page