Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 10-24-2010, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
attachment.php?attachmentid=188864&d=1287538230
The Review at a Glance: ( max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373697

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 1975
Feature running time: 100 minutes
Genre: Musical, Comedy
Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.66:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1, English Mono
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Tim Curry ,Susan Sarandon ,Meatloaf ,Peter Hinwood, Charles Gray ,Barry Bostwick
Directed by: Jim Sharman
Music by: Richard O'Brien
Written by: Richard O'Brien, Jim Sharman
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 19, 2010

"There's no crime in giving yourself over to pleasure."

Film Synopsis:

Fasten your garter belt and come up to the lab and see what's on the slab! It's The Rocky Horror Picture Show Special Edition, a screamingly funny, sinfully twisted salute to sci-fi, horror, B-movies and rock music, all rolled into one deliciously decadent morsel. And now there's even more to make you shiver with antici...pation.

My Take:

The Rocky Horror Picture Show is the longest running theatrical release of all time. 35 years after its release, it is still the reigning champ of the cult midnight movie circuit. I had seen it two times before I received this 35th Anniversary edition for review. The first time I was 17. It was a pseudo-date with a super-hottie that I had a year long crush on. She sang the songs, threw rice, danced around the isles and even called Brad an A-hole. She knew it all---I knew nothing and was so nervous that when she tried to get me out of my seat, I just sat there. Needless to say, that was the last date. Damn you Rocky Horror!! (I did sharpen my skills after that and became a legendary womanizer racking up numbers like Wilt Chamberlain and Gene Simmons) The second time was its first American home video release--the 1990 15th Anniversary VHS. I was unimpressed, bored and found it all just plain silly with no real plot. It has been about 18 years since my last viewing of The Rocky Horror Picture Show, did my age at the time play a factor?
attachment.php?attachmentid=189289&d=1287972270
The plot is still really a vehicle for decadence, dance and sexually charged musical numbers.Not much more to it really. The whole thing is narrated by a Criminologist played by Charles Gray who introduces us to the square goodie-goodie's, Brad (Barry Bostwik) and Janet (Susan Sarandon), who get stuck in a rainstorm and end up seeking refuge in Dr. Frank-N-Furter's (Played to perfection by Tim Curry) castle. Little do they know, Frank-N-Furter, a transvestite mad scientist alien from the planet Transsexual in the galaxy of Transylvania, is unveiling his newest creation that same evening. Up in the lab, on the slab, we meet his creation, Rocky Horror, a supposed perfect specimen of 'man'. From here Brad and Janet's love, sexuality and life are thrown up in the air as they learn the truth of Dr. Frank-N-Furter, his gang and face their inhibitions.

Deeper down, The Rocky Horror Picture Show seems be be about not judging a book by its cover and opening your mind to everyone and everything. Look, if all it takes is a Transsexual alien to move us all along to a better acceptance of diversity and of different cultures, I'm all for it, but unfortunately it will take a whole lot more. Ironically I don't think the judgmental folk will get more than 20 minutes in before walking out or turning it off. To them I say--open your mind and enjoy the ride, literally. Rocky Horror isn't a great film, it really isn't a good film, but it is a FUN movie! It gets a bit long winded and plods along in the middle, and the musical numbers that start off powerful, catchy and great, lose there hook halfway through as well-- thankfully it picks up again for the finally. I think it is best experienced live surrounded by an audience of red eyed midnight freaks, but it is an interesting experiment on home video.

Parental Guide:

Rated R for sexual content, adult themes and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 86

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373694

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373698

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373697

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

Video: 88

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373697

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373698

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373698

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=121037369

The Rocky Horror Picture Show comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 22 mbps and DTS-HD MA 7.1 Surround Sound that has an average bitrate of 5.5 mbps.

Fox spared no expense with its 35th Anniversary Blu-Ray release of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Fans and Virgins (Rocky Horror speak for one's have yet to experience it) will be impressed with its newly restored 4K/2K master and 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, as well as the original Mono mix. Upon insertion, the Disc gives you the option of the US or UK version. From there you have the option of the original or an alternative B&W Opening sequence. Besides its impressive package of features, the A/V presentation is top-notch. Colors are vivid and natural, with the reds popping off the screen. Flesh-tones are spot-on and the black levels are superb--check out the dining room scene at 1hr 5min. Up close there is a heavy veil of film grain which leads me to believe there is no extraneous image processing, and it is hardly noticeable from a normal viewing distance. The image's detail and resolution do fluctuate a bit, but are over-all impressive for a film of 35 years age.

This DTS-HD Master Audio track is killer. Dynamic and rocking, the music sounded wonderful, on my system. The low end was tight and smooth, and vocals were crisp and clean. The 7.1 mix is a front heavy one, with tastefully used limited ambiance in the rear presentation. I give this mix credit for not over doing the surrounds as this was originally a mono track. There were the moments where I did long for a bit more backbone in the LFE, especially during the thunderous rainstorm. This mix is pretty stellar and any issue of note really would just be nit picking. Put this one in and enjoy!

Bonus Features:

• Audio Commentary By Richard O'Brien and Patricia Quinn

• (HD) The Midnight Experience

• (HD) Rocky-oke: Sing It!

• (HD) Commentary By Richard O'Brien and Patricia Quinn

• (HD) Don’t Dream It, Be It: The Search for the 35th Anniversary Shadowcast, Part I

• (HD) An-tic-i-pation: The Search for the 35th Anniversary Shadowcast, Part II

• (HD) Mick Rock (A Photographer)

• (HD) Mick Rock's Picture Show (A Gallery)

• (HD) Deleted Musical Scenes

• (HD) Outtakes

• (HD) Alternate Credit Ending

• (HD) Misprint Ending

• (HD) Rocky Horror Double Feature Video Show

• (HD) Beacon Theater, New York City (10th Anniversary)

• (HD) Time Warp Music Video (15th Anniversary VHS Release)

• 35th Anniversary Book

• BD LIVE

Final Thoughts:

35 years later The Rocky Horror Picture Show holds up to its cult status, for better or worse. I am still a little blah about the whole thing and its appeal, but I did enjoy this viewing more so than before. I do think my age did play a factor not really 'getting' it, and not appreciating the music 20 some years ago. I always wanted more 'horror' from the flick and was not ready for its references to Fay Ray, King Kong, old Sci-Fi flicks and RKO Pictures. I really dug some of the songs now and was blown away by Tim Curry's sexually charged and decadently pitch-perfect job as Dr. Frank-N-Furter. Blu-ray's definition and audio capabilities sure did help my Rocky Horror Picture Show experience this time as the movie's look matched its vibe--flamboyant, dynamic and colorful. The supplements are plenty, but it is a bit annoying that you need to connect to BD LIVE to access most of them. Fans will be happy to see the inclusion of two additional musical numbers, "Once In A While" and "Superheroes", which have never before been available! This is a must have for fans and an easy rental recommendation for you virgins out there.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157497&d=1257542613

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS35 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Custom 1.3 Gain 128" 2.37:1 CinemaScope Screen
Pioneer SC27 Receiver (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Pioneer Elite BDP-23FD Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Triangle Zerius Speakers (7.1)
SVS PC13-Ultra Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-24-2010, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Dumb question time...

How did the film rate 3.5/5?

It's famous for being a bad movie... much in the same way as "Plan 9 from Outer Space" is often referred to as the worst movie ever. FYI, I happily own Plan 9 and it is so awful that it is entertaining... kind of like how some of those pug dogs are so ugly they become cute.... but I couldn't rate Plan 9 as even a 1 star movie.

I never "got" the whole "experience" thing about Rocky Horror... but from what I've seen it is a better movie than Plan 9... definitely had some better actors (though you might not know it from this movie) and better production values.

It just "feels" more like a 2/5 to me at best... but I'd figure all the fans would love it on Blu-ray... although a lot of the cult following was because of the theater experience, so I wondered if home viewing worked as well?

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #3 of 18 Old 10-24-2010, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 199
This is a great little cult film! I first saw it as a stage play in Hollywood in the 70's. It totally works in a home theater - get some newspapers, noisemakers and party hats and have a Rocky Horror Picture Party ( no rice or squirtguns allowed in our theater - sorry ). Susan Sarandon and Barry Bostwik are a hoot !! Great performance by Tim Curry too.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #4 of 18 Old 10-25-2010, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just one correction. The review states that "Once In A While" and "Superheroes", have never before been available. Of course...they have.
They (as well as some of the other extras) are taken from the 20th Anniversary laserdisc (the format that keeps on giving!) release.
post #5 of 18 Old 10-25-2010, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by film113 View Post

Just one correction. The review states that "Once In A While" and "Superheroes", have never before been available. Of course...they have.
They (as well as some of the other extras) are taken from the 20th Anniversary laserdisc (the format that keeps on giving!) release.

This is from Fox's website---
"two additional musical numbers, "Once In A While" and "Superheroes", never seen theatrically or available on video!"

Oh well
post #6 of 18 Old 10-25-2010, 10:50 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weber View Post

"two additional musical numbers, "Once In A While" and "Superheroes", never seen theatrically or available on video!"

Oh well

I have seen "Superheroes" in the theatrical version a few times. Fox made an error.

I'm happy with this BD, but wasn't overly thrilled by it's PQ as a lot of viewers have been wowing it. I will say this is the best is ever looked.
post #7 of 18 Old 10-25-2010, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 65
My wife, ten years my junior experienced this movie for the first time a few weeks ago. I put it in our Halloween movie rotation and she reluctantly watched it. Well, she doesn't get it but that doesn't ruin it for me and I will always love this movie for what it is, just plain stupid fun. I will admit that you really need to be in a good mood, maybe even a party kind of mood to fully appreciate the movie. I think the more people viewing the better and a few adult beverages makes it all the better!
post #8 of 18 Old 10-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Greetings,

Thanks much Lee..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #9 of 18 Old 10-25-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weber View Post

Oh well

I actually have that LD and both are definitely on there. Fox will say ANYTHING to get a few more sales! (BTW, the LD also came with a book and 24K Gold CD!)
post #10 of 18 Old 10-25-2010, 01:37 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

My mother took me to a midnight showing when I was around 7.. It was crazy... I had a blast.. Still one of the best sound tracks for a movie I ever heard.

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
post #11 of 18 Old 10-26-2010, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Spent many Saturday nights in the late 80s going to these shows, which is really how you need to be introduced to this movie. Of course now I can watch it over and over and it brings a smile to my face everytime! I bought this the other day and watched it that very night, agree it looks and sounds incredible!
"Superheroes" was from the UK version and was actually the version that my theater played.
post #12 of 18 Old 10-27-2010, 11:25 AM

Thanks for the info. I usually go to the theatre to see it, but I think I will pick up this version for home viewing for sure.
post #13 of 18 Old 10-29-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

It's famous for being a bad movie...

According to whom? Bad in what sense? It was not originally a box office success and so it was considered a bomb the year of it's release. But, a bad movie? I don't think that is how this film is generally received by the public.

Looking forward to this BD version. Sounds worthwhile.

"Nobody looks good in high-def"
Doug Wilson - Weeds
post #14 of 18 Old 10-29-2010, 09:45 PM

While I do agree that MOST of this title looks fantastic, the lack of criticism for the major mistakes made on this title concerns me. I'm used to seeing the smallest problems picked apart on this forum, yet not on this title.

I've seen this film more times than I can count, owned several different 35mm prints of varying ages, and watched many more in theaters over the years.

1. For unknown reasons Science Fiction is LETTERBOXED ( within the 1.66 frame which the Fox logo and the rest of the film is in), cutting off the top and bottom of the lips during parts of the song. The entire film was 1.66 on the dvd so this blunder on the Blu-ray is unforgivable.

2. The blue tint from Brad's bedroom scene has been removed. The blue tint from the Timewarp flashback has also been removed. Certain red tinted scenes in Janet's room have also been removed.

I have a hard time watching this Blu-Ray because these mistakes really ruin it for me.
post #15 of 18 Old 10-31-2010, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Have been a fan of this for the longest time, owned the dvd 25th now I own the BD 35th but I have a question. The midnight shadowcast, prop thing, and trivia all work fine. But the audio of ppl shouting at the screen does not work. It just says in subtitles what they say. It's not supposed to be silent is it?

Also there are some things you list, like # (HD) Deleted Musical Scenes

# (HD) Outtakes

# (HD) Alternate Credit Ending

# (HD) Misprint Ending

# (HD) Rocky Horror Double Feature Video Show

I can't find any of them. Any help here please?

Sony KDL-70R550A
Denon x4000 (o)c (0)
Klipsch RF-62IIs
Klipsch RC-62II
Polk T15s
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d
post #16 of 18 Old 11-02-2010, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
they removed the tinting in those scenes? may sound small to some people but that's kind of a big deal....
post #17 of 18 Old 11-02-2010, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post

they removed the tinting in those scenes? may sound small to some people but that's kind of a big deal....

Having recently watched the non-Bluray version I have to say I agree. The tinting adds to the mood and I would think this falls under things that were the director's intent, kind of like purposely having grain in a film.
post #18 of 18 Old 11-07-2010, 06:22 PM

Any guys from FOX lurking on this forum? I'd still really like to know why "Science Fiction" was letterboxed on the Blu Ray.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
The Rocky Horror Picture Show 35th Anniversary Edition Blu Ray , Pioneer Elite Bdp 23fd Blu Ray Disc Player Upscaling
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page