Alien Anthology (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 77 Old 10-08-2012, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I thought Prometheus was fantastic. I will admit it is not as good as Alien or Aliens but it is a very good addition to the story. All three are different but great. I don't count Alien 3 or that 4th movie thing. Although Alien 3 was not that bad to me. Alien was more of a closed in well acted perfect sci-fi horror gem. Aliens was more of an action, military sci-fi lets get some pay back film. Prometheus had me thinking after the movie was over. It made me want to see more. I hope it made enough money worldwide for Ridley to continue the story. It had it's flaws but the overall experience in my opinion made me forget about it's short comings.

Klipsch Synergy 3 speakers (LCR & surrounds)
dual Klipsch RW 12d
dual BIC PL-200
120" DIY 16:9 screen
Panasonic PT AX 200U projector
Panasonic BMP-BD35 blu-ray
Velodyne SMS-1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 77 Old 10-09-2012, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Only the best movies make you think about them over and over!
post #63 of 77 Old 10-10-2012, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Not realizing that this set was going to come out, I bought the Alien Predator Total Destruction Collection on DVD for a mere $30 earlier this year, but I guess at that price I can't complain. I'll stick with what I have. I also bought Predators separately on Blu-ray Disc. I will likely add Prometheus to my collection at some point for completeness when the price comes way down, but I was underwhelmed when I saw it at the theater and it seemed to drag on. It was merely okay.
post #64 of 77 Old 11-14-2012, 03:19 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Well I just bit on this set since Amazon has it for $20 right now. Cant wait to watch the first two movies again since it has been YEARS. Dont remember the last 2 films, but looking forward to checking those out as well even though they are not up to par with the first 2. Cant go wrong for $20, right? smile.gif

So is the directors cut the way to go for ALL 4 films when I get to these?

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #65 of 77 Old 11-14-2012, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Well I just bit on this set since Amazon has it for $20 right now. Cant wait to watch the first two movies again since it has been YEARS. Dont remember the last 2 films, but looking forward to checking those out as well even though they are not up to par with the first 2. Cant go wrong for $20, right? smile.gif
So is the directors cut the way to go for ALL 4 films when I get to these?

Greetings,

Better late than never Todd. smile.gif

Yes, go with the DC.. cool.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #66 of 77 Old 11-14-2012, 06:19 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,
Better late than never Todd. smile.gif
Yes, go with the DC.. cool.gif
Regards,

I cant believe it took me this long. Thanks Ralph. DC it is! smile.gif

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #67 of 77 Old 11-15-2012, 12:41 PM

Liked: 10
For me, the theatrical release of Alien is the preferred version as it fits in better with the Aliens Queen story line. Also, Scott has said the director's was an edited version to give movie goers something new to see in theaters. He has said that the original is his true director's cut. If you are a fan of Alien, I think you'll enjoy both films. I know I do.

While I would never knock the theatrical version of Aliens, as it's an outstanding movie, the Special Edition actually enhances it a great deal. Simply put, it's a great movie made greater.

Alien3 benefits greatly from it's special edition. I enjoyed it much better than the theatrical release.

Resurrection has more footage in it's special edition but it is neither helped nor hindered. I thought it's alternate opening was a little out of place, but it's not bad.

To be honest, $20 for this set is as good a purchase as one could make. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
post #68 of 77 Old 11-15-2012, 01:01 PM

Liked: 14
not following how many versions are there? theatrical, directors and special edition? are there 3?
post #69 of 77 Old 11-15-2012, 01:15 PM

It's just the terminology I'm using Lotus.

Alien is the only movie with a "Director's Cut" title. The other movies alternate versions are all called "Special Editions". If one of these has to be considered a true director's cut, it would be Aliens as James Camaron was forced to pare down his movie by the studios to reduce the length of the film. The special edition is his true vision for the film and he actually talks about it in a 30 second preview before the movie on your disc.

Both Ridley Scott (Alien) and Jean Pierre(Resurrection) edited their alternate versions but both claim their theatrical releases to be their definitive versions. David Fincher(Alien3) never had a true director's cut in the theater or on disc due to his falling out with Fox. I'm not sure who edited the SE for 3 but it is vastly superior to the theatrical relese.

Didn't mean to confuse

Jeff
post #70 of 77 Old 11-15-2012, 02:30 PM

Liked: 14
this is the one for box set right?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AQO3QA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

and if u just want the first one then this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RE29T0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

didnt find any 20 dollar deal that was referenced above.
post #71 of 77 Old 11-15-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Just picked this up on Tuesday and watched Alien for the first time. Great film, 33 years after production. It was great to tie elements of the Alien universe together. I've seen the others (which will certainly be revisited with this set), but had never seen the first.
post #72 of 77 Old 12-01-2012, 03:22 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Just picked this up on Tuesday and watched Alien for the first time. Great film, 33 years after production. It was great to tie elements of the Alien universe together. I've seen the others (which will certainly be revisited with this set), but had never seen the first.
As a sci-fi fan, I find it incredible that this is the first time you are watching this fantastic film. It is my favorite sci-fi / horror movie ever. I thought the acting was not notch as well as the classical score of the film. One element of the movie I find great was the alien chest bursting scene. I love the fact that Scott told the other actors that the alien would gently slide out of Kane's chest. So when the scene came around and the initial burst popped, the reactions on the actors was real....Look at the expression on Veronica Cartwright's face when the blood splatters on her....she had no idea this was going to occur. Scott said he wanted natural real reactions and that is what he got. I love it....

Klipsch Synergy 3 speakers (LCR & surrounds)
dual Klipsch RW 12d
dual BIC PL-200
120" DIY 16:9 screen
Panasonic PT AX 200U projector
Panasonic BMP-BD35 blu-ray
Velodyne SMS-1
post #73 of 77 Old 01-11-2013, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16

I got this set for X-mas.  

So far, for both Alien and Aliens, the home menu shows static(images/scratches) whenever static(sound) comes on.  However, both movies play fine.  Is it designed this way on purpose?  Maybe to imply that you are looking at old data files?

I spent half the night trying to figure out if I had a bad connection, then gave up and played the movie(s).  There was no issues with the movies, no static, no sound issues, nothing.  As a matter of fact, I loved the BD update(for the record I have the VHS boxset).  

I will watch Alien3 tonite and see if the static is on the home menu later.  It seems to be done on purpose, but it is annoying.

Can anyone else collaborate this experience?

post #74 of 77 Old 11-18-2013, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 351
Sigh. No audio review on theatrical 4.1 audio included specially on this set. Per Ridley the theatrical cut is the one he considers the right cut for Alien, not the forced fox directors cut. IMO I agree with him and that distinction.
post #75 of 77 Old 11-20-2013, 09:17 AM

Liked: 13
Excited to see this...it has been a long time...just ordered it for $20 on。amazon for my kids to give me for christmas
post #76 of 77 Old 11-20-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 351
its fantastic - video is amazing. I recommend you watch the theatrical version for Alien, and then the Special/Director's/Assembly editions for the remaining ones.
post #77 of 77 Old 12-17-2013, 12:28 PM

I'm coming late to the party,having bought the collection some time ago.I've played Aliens on two different players on my tv and the picture is grainy as crap.If I watch it on Dish,the picture's clear.Has anyone else found the movie to be grainy?Aliens is the reason I bought the set and it's practically unwatchable this way.mad.gif
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page