Studio and Year: Paramount - 1954
MPAA Rating: NR
Feature running time: 120 minutes
Genre: Drama/Musical

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English (restored), French, Spanish, Portuguese Mono
Subtitles: English SDH, English, Spanish, Portuguese, French
Starring: Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney, Vera-Ellen, Dean Jagger
Directed by: Michael Curtiz
Music by: Irving Berlin
Written by: Norman Krasna, Norman Panama, and Melvin Frank
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 2, 2010

"A classic gets the Blu treatment"

Film Synopsis:

Two talented song-and-dance men (Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye) team up after the war to become one of the hottest acts in show business. One winter, they join forces with a sister act (Rosemary Clooney and Vera-Ellen) and trek to Vermont for a white Christmas. Of course, there's the requisite fun with the ladies, but the real adventure starts when Crosby & Kaye discover that the inn is run by their old army general who's now in financial trouble. And the result is the stuff dreams are made of.

My Take:

I grew up watching classic films like White Christmas in reruns on TV but somehow never saw this one. Bing Crosby is such an icon and watching him perform is always a rewarding experience. I haven't seen one of his films in a long time and was glad to have this review opportunity. In 1954 musical films were pretty common and Irving Berlin and Bing Crosby were household names. White Christmas teams the popular Crosby with the indomitably charming, funny, and physically nimble Danny Kaye as they play a pair of ex-army buddies Bob and Phil, who make it big in show business after the war. After receiving a letter from an old army buddy urging them to see his sisters, Betty and Judy, perform at a local club Phil and Bob reluctantly go in with low expectations. They are impressed with the girls singing and dancing and Phil seeing an attraction between Bob and Betty opts to play matchmaker. After meeting them Phil learns that Betty and Judy are headed to Vermont for a gig and tags along coercing Bob into it as well. Once they arrive at the Vermont lodge they learn that it is in financial difficulties due to the lack of snow/tourists. Subsequently the boys find that their beloved former commander, General Waverly, is the lodge owner at which time they decide to help out by putting on a Christmas show. In the meanwhile Phil, now in cahoots with Judy manipulates Bob and Betty in the hopes that love will blossom. Things don't go quite as planned and results in a series of misunderstandings that threatens to break their hearts and derail the show.

White Christmas is bygone era filmmaking but there is no denying its lasting and timeless appeal. I thoroughly enjoyed it and appreciate the wholesomeness of its story, the superlative talent of its cast, and the amazing music of composer Irving Berlin. Watching Danny Kaye and Vera-Ellen on the dance floor in chapter four was mesmerizing. Speaking of Vera-Ellen she was an amazing dancer that unfortunately had only a limited career in show business and later suffered tragic loss and poor health. Luckily she is fondly remembered through her work in films like White Christmas.

The popular title song is performed alone by Crosby in the first act and by the ensemble in the finale and of course it sounds terrific. The film features great song/dance routines and large musical set pieces that are lots of fun. The chemistry between Kaye and Crosby is superb. I love the sequence where they lip synch the Haynes sister's song Sisters where Crosby begins to crack up (which is left in) after an impromptu adlib by Kaye. Rosemary Clooney is awesome and I found her performance of Love you didn't do right by me alluring and sexy. Director Michael Curtiz, not unfamiliar with large scale productions (The Adventures of Robin Hood, Casablanca, and Captain Blood) captures the film's humor, romance, music and holiday theme via carefully framed images and broad camera strokes that prove evocative and stirring (case and point: the scene where General Waverly enters the theater and sees the reunion of the 151st in his honor). The title White Christmas would suggest that it is a holiday film but in reality it is more of a romance/comedy/musical that culminates at Christmas with a positive message about the gift of giving. It's a wonderfully entertaining and timeless film that is justly deserving of its recognition as a cinematic classic.

Parental Guide:

This film is appropriate for all ages.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 76

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

White Christmas comes to Blu-ray from Paramount Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 34 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.8 Mbps.

White Christmas was the very first film shot in Vista Vision (a 35mm process invented by an engineer at Paramount) and its 1.85:1 framed high definition video presentation on Blu-ray finds this 50 plus year old film looking marvelous. Colors are tonally balanced with lustrous primaries and clean rendering. Fleshtones are appreciably lifelike with discernible texture and rosy complexions. The level of visible detail in facial features, hair and clothing during close-ups is impressive. Wide angle shots vary in terms of visual depth but fidelity in never in question. The interior shots in the lodge, nightclub, and aboard the train are rendered with clear refinement that draws out lots of subtle minutia in objects and backgrounds. Of course this also made the faux scenery and sets more obvious but that was fine. Grain is naturally appears undisturbed and naturally rendered which gives the video texture and a noticeably filmic quality. Blacks are noise free, stable and fairly deep. Contrast and brightness are balanced well which enliven bright scene and colors while maintaining an appreciable level of visibility and dimension during darker segments. Kudos to Paramount on this excellent and faithful high definition presentation that is sure to please even discerning fans.

There are audio options in both mono and lossless surround sound. I opted to use the DTS-HD Master Audio surround track which had no trouble handling the film's recorded elements. The front three channels carried the majority of the film's audio. The mix was spread across the front three channels with primary focus on the center channel and light ambience bled to the right/left speakers. I never had a problem understanding dialogue or hearing sounds or effects as the presentation exhibited good clarity and presence. This was especially obvious during the sequences featuring the film's superlative music/musical set pieces. I did notice that the vocals on the overdubbed songs sounded distinctly different and had a heavier midrange and dialed back treble that left them sounding less airy. While this was obvious I didn't find it problematic.The dated aspects of the recording were apparent but it sounded fine. There was no deep LFE mixed to the subwoofer however bass contained within the track accentuated its limited dynamic elements and orchestrated music.

Bonus Features:

• Audio commentary by Rosemary Clooney

• (HD) Backstage stories from White Christmas - 12 minute featurette

• (HD) Rosemary's old Kentucky Home - 13 minute featurette

• (HD) Bing Crosby: Christmas crooner - 14 minute documentary

• (HD) Danny Kaye: Joy to the world - 13 minute documentary

• (HD) Irving Berlin's White Christmas - 7 minute documentary

• (HD) White Christmas: From page to stage - 4 minute featurette

• White Christmas: A look back with Rosemay Clooney - 16 minute retrospective

• (HD) Theatrical trailers - Original & Re-release

Final Thoughts:

White Christmas is a bygone era classic that remains just as entertaining today thanks to a marvelous ensemble cast, great direction and the superlative music of the great Irving Berlin. It debuts on Blu-ray Disc from Paramount Home Entertainment in a superb package that features marvelous and faithful high definition video quality, crystal clear lossless sound, and a wonderful set of bonus supplements that compliment the film. This is highly recommended viewing and deserves a place in the stocking of every film enthusiast this holiday season. Enjoy!

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-02-2010, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Thanks Ralph, sounds good. One of my wife's favorite seasonal films.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3 of 12 Old 11-02-2010, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Thank you Ralph. My copy arrived today, and I look forward to seeing it.

I love the old musicals, and hope someday to see the rest of the real classics get this sort of treatment. The few that have trickled out have been outstanding.
post #4 of 12 Old 11-03-2010, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Looking forward to this one!
post #5 of 12 Old 11-03-2010, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I received this one on Monday, but haven't had a chance on watching it.. Nice review Ralph, can't wait now to see it...

Christian

My DVD and Blu Ray collection

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
post #6 of 12 Old 11-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Sounds great, I may have to buy a Blu-ray player if they keep releasing quality classic films like this one.

Thank you for the review!
post #7 of 12 Old 11-04-2010, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
My Wife Beth it was her favorite film we watched it every Holiday. She passed away in May after a 2 year battle with Cancer at the age of 45, I picked it up on Blu and am planning on having a gathering to view it in her honor.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-04-2010, 09:57 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post

My Wife Beth it was her favorite film we watched it every Holiday. She passed away in May after a 2 year battle with Cancer at the age of 45, I picked it up on Blu and am planning on having a gathering to view it in her honor.

Sorry to hear that

My family also watches it every year around Christmas. It's one of my mother's favorites.

post #9 of 12 Old 11-04-2010, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post

Greetings,

Scarpad, I am so sorry to hear or your wife's passing. I hope that seeing White Christmas on Blu-ray this year helps you feel closer to her.

All the best,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #10 of 12 Old 11-06-2010, 09:45 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGTX View Post

Sounds great, I may have to buy a Blu-ray player if they keep releasing quality classic films like this one.

Thank you for the review!

Even though all the huzzahs seem to be going to The Sound of Music transfer, thanks to the Robert Harris Seal of Approval on that one, the transfer of White Christmas seems to be getting not much notice (certainly none at the HTF, probably because Mr. Harris has been silent and few there know what to think without his Seal), but it's an amazing transfer, incredible really. The sharpness and color rendering are perfection (the only shots that aren't sharp are opticals, and that is obviously as it's always been). For a film made a decade before The Sound of Music, for my money the transfer is better and much more accurate to the original look of the film. Major kudos to Paramount and bring on The Court Jester, please!
post #11 of 12 Old 11-06-2010, 09:51 AM

Liked: 22
Oops, just saw Mr. Harris' thoughts on White Christmas. While he raves about every aspect of The Sound of Music and seems to have no problem with the jaundiced look of the actors in some of that transfer, here he thinks the flesh tones are off in the early reels, and boy should he know better. That is exactly what the flesh tones looked like in the IB Tech prints - it's the makeup used (same makeup for many of those 50s musicals) - it has NOTHING to do with the transfer. He also says it's a little soft for a VistaVision film - say what? This is one of the sharpest, most detailed transfers of a VistaVision film I've ever seen - and of course everyone there goes "Yeah, a disappointment." I honestly just sit and scratch my head sometimes.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-06-2010, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post
Oops, just saw Mr. Harris' thoughts on White Christmas. While he raves about every aspect of The Sound of Music and seems to have no problem with the jaundiced look of the actors in some of that transfer, here he thinks the flesh tones are off in the early reels, and boy should he know better. That is exactly what the flesh tones looked like in the IB Tech prints - it's the makeup used (same makeup for many of those 50s musicals) - it has NOTHING to do with the transfer. He also says it's a little soft for a VistaVision film - say what? This is one of the sharpest, most detailed transfers of a VistaVision film I've ever seen - and of course everyone there goes "Yeah, a disappointment." I honestly just sit and scratch my head sometimes.
Greetings,

I can't speak for Richard Harris but I was very pleased with this one..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
White Christmas Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version