Feature running time: 113 minutes
Genre: Action/Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Michael Cera, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kiernan Culkin, Chris Evans, Anna Kendrick, Alison Pill, Brandon Routh, Ellen Wong
Directed by: Edgar Wright
Music by: Nigel Godrich
Written by: Michael Bacall & Edgar Wright based on the graphic novels by Bryan Lee O'Malley
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 9, 2010

"Get the hot girl. Defeat her evil exes. Hit love where it hurts"

Film Synopsis:

Game on! Scott Pilgrim just met the girl of his dreamsliterally. But in order for them to date, he must defeat her seven evil exes -- a rogues' gallery -- including an infamous skateboarder, a vegan rock star and fearsome identical twins! From the genre-smashing director of Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead comes a true original (Entertainment Weekly) powered up by wit, action and groundbreaking visuals that you will want to watch again as soon as it's over!

My Take:

Meet charming and jobless Scott Pilgrim (Michael Cera). A bass guitarist for totally average garage band Sex Bob-omb, the 22-year-old has just met the girl of his dreams...literally. The only catch to winning Ramona Flowers (Mary Elizabeth Winstead)? Her seven evil exes are coming to kill him. Genre-smashing filmmaker Edgar Wright (Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead) tells the amazing story of one romantic slacker's quest to power up with love in Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. Scott Pilgrim has never had a problem getting a girlfriend. It's getting rid of them that proves difficult. From the girl who kicked his heart's assand now is back in townto the teenage distraction he's trying to shake when Ramona rollerblades into his world, love hasn't been easy. He soon discovers, however, his new crush has the most unusual baggage of all: a nefarious league of exes controls her love life and will do whatever it takes to eliminate him as a suitor. As Scott gets closer to Ramona, he must face an increasingly vicious rogues' gallery from her pastfrom infamous skateboarders to vegan rock stars and fearsomely identical twins. And if he hopes to win his true love, he must vanquish them all before it really is game over.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the world is based on the graphic novel series by Bryan Lee O'Malley. Prior to seeing the film I had no prior knowledge with them. It isn't a prerequisite for understanding the film but I suspect that those familiar with the books would glean more from it. To the unconventional would be an understatement but if you're open to a little nonsensical, live comic book style storytelling this movie is lots of fun. Director Edgar Wright is certainly no stranger to unconventional filmmaking (previous works include Shawn of the dead, and Hot Fuzz) and he is on top of his game here. The film seems to be set in an alternate time period somewhere between the early 1980's and present. The film's avant-garde narrative is supported by the use of split screens, pop-up style phrases (ala TV's Batman), quick edits/cuts, and frenetic pacing. Not knowing anything about these characters going in I was surprised and then intrigued when Matthew Patel swoops in and attacks Scott during the battle of the bands concert. From that point forward the film took on a new dimension where anything seemed possible. I think that is what I enjoyed most about it as each of Ramona's evil exes comes forward to challenge Scott. The cleverly integrated relationships between Scott, the band, his sister, and roommate Wallace are pitch perfect and counterbalance the primary plot points revolving around Scott/Ramona, Scott/Knives, and the evil exes nicely. I think the thing that surprised me most was the level of action featured in the film and the over the top manner in which it was presented. There is no doubt that this movie walks a fine line between pure folly and credible entertainment.

I have said it before and will say it again, Michael Cera is a strange dude. His awkwardness is part of his appeal which makes him somewhat unique although one dimensional as an actor. Regardless he seems to stay quite busy and finds roles that play to his strengths. Scott Pilgrim is just such a role and I have to admit that it fit him like a glove. The remaining members of the cast, right down to the cameos, are on target and add just the right element that enhances the film's offbeat theme. I haven't seen many films like Scott Pilgrim vs. the world so I have little frame of reference. What I can say for certain is that I liked it. It may be far removed from award-winning cinema but it's inventive, funny, loaded with action and looks like a comic book come to life. Yup, that'll work.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for stylized violence, sexual content, language and drug references.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 96

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Scott Pilgrim vs. the world comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Home entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 25 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.6 Mbps.

This is a superb looking Blu-ray presentation from Universal that delivers high level detail, razor sharpness and resolute definition that brings out the lifelike textures captured by the camera lens. Detail perception is nearly flawless with lucid visual acuity and fine rendering throughout. Colors are lavish and eye popping with oversaturated primaries and warm tonality that make them pleasing. Flesh tones are tonally natural with appreciable delineation among the varied complexional types in the cast. Spot on contrast and inky blacks enhance sequences containing mixed content containing light and dark elements. A good example of this can be seen in chapter four as Scott and Ramona go for a walk through the park at night. Shadow detail is discerning which adds depth to the film's variety of sequences shot in low lighting. On occasion the nature of the photography softens some shots but its effects are innate as fidelity appears unaffected. From what I could see there are no compression related video artifacts, or noise present in this whistle clean high definition video transfer that is sure to please even demanding videophiles.

Like the video quality The 5.1 channel DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack doesn't disappoint. This is a powerful mix that utilizes the entire system to create a theater like experience. Sound staging is excellent as both the front and rear channels are seamlessly integrated. Sound effects traverse the room during the large fight sequences. Dynamics are energy filled and impact felt with discerning articulation and resolute clarity. This is an aggressive mix that makes regular use of the subwoofer to accentuate its already strong dynamics. The result is that all points of contact seem to resonate with tactile low bass impact. The quality of the bass is first rate as it is fills the room with clean, hard hitting, and deep resonating low frequency energy. Dialogue had excellent soundstage presence with clear, defining vocal character and excellent room penetration. This is a reference quality audio/video presentation that offers demonstration worthy material for those who like to show of their home theater systems.

Bonus Features:

• Feature commentary with director/producer/co-writer Edgar Wright, co-writer Michael Bacall and Author Bryan Lee O'Malley

• Technical commentary with director/producer/co-writer Edgar Wright and director of photography Bill Pope

• Cast commentary with Michael Cera, Jason Schwartzman, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Ellen Wong and Brandon Routh

• Cast commentary with Anna Kendrick, Aubrey Plaza, Kiernan Culkin, and Mark Webber

• (HD) 21 deleted/extended scenes with optional commentary by director/co-writer Edgar Wright

• Scott Pilgrim vs. the bloopers - 9 minutes

• (HD) Making of Scott Pilgrim vs. the world - 2 segments totaling 49 minutes

• Music featurette - 16 minutes

• You too can be Sex bob-omb - 2 minute feature

• Alternative footage (3 segments):

1. Scene edits - 12 minutes
    2. Bits and pieces - 6 minutes
    3. 7 outtakes

• Pre-production:

1. Pre-production footage - 10 segments
    2. Animatics - 17 segments
    3. Rehearsal videos - 8 segments
    4. Props, rigs, and set montage - 2 minutes
    5. Casting tapes - 13 minutes
    6. Hair and make-up footage - 10 minutes

• Music promos:

1. Music videos - Garbage truck, Black sheep, Threshold, Summertime
    2. Osymso remixes - 7 segments

• Visual effects - Roxy fight/Ribbon version, Phantom montage: high speed footage (before & after)

• Soundworks collection: Sound for film profile

• Adult swim: Scott Pilgrim vs. the animation

• Scott Pilgrim vs. the censors

• Blogs

• Galleries

• Trivia track

• Trailers: Theatrical (Teaser, main, international), TV Spots, Video game trailers

• My Scenes bookmark feature

• BD-Live enabled

• D-Box Motion Code enabled

• Pocket Blu - App for iPOD/iPHONE

• Universal's U-Control

• Digital Copy

• Bonus DVD of Scott Pilgrim vs. the world

Final Thoughts:

Based on the graphic novel series by Bryan Lee O'Malley Scott Pilgrim vs. the world is an unconventional action comedy that walks a fine line between pure folly and credible entertainment. I found it to be inventive and funny while appreciating its comic book style action, homage to vintage video games and cleverly incorporated script. I have routinely been impressed with the technical quality of the Blu-ray titles I have reviewed from Universal Studios Home Entertainment and Scott Pilgrim vs. the world is no exception. This is a reference quality presentation that features pristine high definition video and room shaking DTS-HD Master Audio surround sound. Add to that a full compliment of bonus supplements that run the production's gamut and you have a superb Blu-ray offering that is a must have for fans.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 11-03-2010, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Awesome review Ralph! I missed this in the theater but will have to check it out on Blu-ray for sure. It's nice to see a non-animated film get such high marks for video. It sounds like just the kind of movie I would enjoy. Looking forward to it!
post #3 of 54 Old 11-03-2010, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I watched this Sunday night after football. I agree with Ralph, what a cool film. Without knowing anything about this flick, I was like "WTF is this?" when the first fight scene took place. Needless to say, I continued watching and it was well worth it.

Just to add, I thought Pilgrim's roommate was hilarious, he had some funny lines.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #4 of 54 Old 11-03-2010, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Saw this in the theater....I enjoyed it, but didn't love it. But this was the type of movie that found myself still thinking about and the movie grew fonder with age. I have a feeling this one that I'll enjoy more and more on future viewings. Definitely a buy.

I also read the graphic novels, they are pretty good as well
post #5 of 54 Old 11-03-2010, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Wow great review Mr. Potts.

Missed it on the theater run, but will catch it on BR.

Thanks

DJoel
post #6 of 54 Old 11-03-2010, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is a movie that seemed to fly under the radar. I will definitely give this a rent.
post #7 of 54 Old 11-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 99
Cannot wait until next Tuesday to get this one. Maybe not the best overall but this is my favorite movie from this year.

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #8 of 54 Old 11-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I like Michael Cera. That nerdy looking. Will watch it next week.
post #9 of 54 Old 11-03-2010, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Thanks Ralph.

Nice Stuff!
post #10 of 54 Old 11-04-2010, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Saw it twice in the theater and loved it. Can't wait to get this at midnight Tuesday morning .
post #11 of 54 Old 11-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

I'm a huge fan of Hot Fuzz (and I liked Sean of the Dead, too) -- will have to get this one into my Netflix queue...
post #12 of 54 Old 11-04-2010, 04:40 PM

If you ever played ANY video games in the 80's, this is a MUST see.

And that is a CRAZY amount of extras! There's like 12 hours worth there.

I thought the audio was great in the theater, I look forward to getting this BD in my HT.
post #13 of 54 Old 11-04-2010, 11:53 PM

on the money review for once. one of the most creative movies i've ever seen.
post #14 of 54 Old 11-05-2010, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxjulie View Post

on the money review for once. one of the most creative movies i've ever seen.

Greetings,

And to think it only took me 710 tries before I finally got one right..

Glad you approve maxxjulie.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #15 of 54 Old 11-05-2010, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Never heard of this movie, but now, I'm curious.

Evil is Good
post #16 of 54 Old 11-05-2010, 02:45 PM

I want to see a wuss fight between Michael Cera and Jesse Eisenberg. They are practically the same guy. Elijah Wood can be the referee.
post #17 of 54 Old 11-07-2010, 07:25 AM

Thanks for the great review...I was getting this regardless but your review makes me want it even more!
post #18 of 54 Old 11-07-2010, 11:11 AM

I was going to wait until Christmas for this one, but think I'll cave and buy it this week.
post #19 of 54 Old 11-07-2010, 12:56 PM

Hmm, I haven't seen this film, and was on the fence about buying it. I think I'll wait for it to come to me through Netflix to give it a try, but your review certainly makes it sound like a lot of fun!
post #20 of 54 Old 11-08-2010, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Thought this movie was great. It was funny, hilarious, has some drama in it and the video game scene i thought was pretty cool.

If you're looking for a good comedy i'd recommend this one.

Cheers
post #21 of 54 Old 11-10-2010, 07:29 AM

Does anyone know if the Alternate Ending (they filmed the ending before the books were done, and then decided to change it to match the book later) is on this disc?
post #22 of 54 Old 11-10-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow4life View Post
Does anyone know if the Alternate Ending (they filmed the ending before the books were done, and then decided to change it to match the book later) is on this disc?
nevermind...found out for myself by watching the extras today. yes, the alt ending is there
post #23 of 54 Old 11-11-2010, 06:06 AM

I'm just curious if any of the graphics were cut off the screen for anyone else? Just wanting to see if maybe my TV has some overscan type issues going on. Now I know a lot of the little game type graphics were meant to be sort of half onscreen. The biggest spot that stood out to me as maybe incorrect was when "Other Scott" was in bed with Wallace and his name and info popped up, the vast majority of this was offscreen and I am wondering if that's supposed to be that way or not.
post #24 of 54 Old 11-13-2010, 04:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by VXXJesterXXV View Post
The biggest spot that stood out to me as maybe incorrect was when "Other Scott" was in bed with Wallace and his name and info popped up, the vast majority of this was offscreen and I am wondering if that's supposed to be that way or not.
No, it should look something like this:

You might check that your TV isn't set to some sort of scaling mode, for example to zoom 4:3 pictures to fill the screen.
post #25 of 54 Old 11-13-2010, 10:51 AM

dododge, did you pull that screenshot from the DVD or Blu-ray? I'm having the same issue Jester is with my Blu-ray disc, and my TV settings seem to be correct.

Other than that, this is a near-perfect Blu-ray release, but that one tiny thing is slightly annoying.
post #26 of 54 Old 11-13-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:

I'm just curious if any of the graphics were cut off the screen for anyone else? Just wanting to see if maybe my TV has some overscan type issues going on. Now I know a lot of the little game type graphics were meant to be sort of half onscreen. The biggest spot that stood out to me as maybe incorrect was when "Other Scott" was in bed with Wallace and his name and info popped up, the vast majority of this was offscreen and I am wondering if that's supposed to be that way or not.

Just watched today....i didn't see anything cut off
post #27 of 54 Old 11-14-2010, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Rocked my system and my senses!! an awesome/fun movie..I've gotta own it! .
post #28 of 54 Old 11-14-2010, 06:35 AM

I agree. It's a very good movie.
post #29 of 54 Old 11-14-2010, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I too saw this once, albeit briefly
post #30 of 54 Old 11-14-2010, 08:20 PM

Liked: 11
Like many others I had no desire to see it in theaters and really no desire to rent it either but there was nothing to choose so I thought what the hell. I've never been so pleasantly suprised with a movie. I love the way they seamlessly mixed current technology with 80's technology. The writing was just simply fantastic and I can't remember the last movie that had such witty humour and the pacing was perfect.

I'm flabbergasted the word of mouth didn't give this a much better box office run. Even if you're young and have no idea about the old video games and have no idea about the comic, as long as you like action and have any sense of humour then you'll absolutely love this movie. I'm sick of Michael Cera but even he was immensely enjoyable in this.

This should be nominated for a best picture Oscar and be a frontrunner if I had my way. It is really that good. You are doing yourself a disservice if you don't see it especially with all the other crap that is out there.

It still boggles my mind that people go out to theaters in droves to watch boring, badly written, shallow and predictable movies like Avatar because it's pretty eye candy and ignore inventive and sharply written movies like Scott Pilgram even though visually it was just as impressive. I guess it had to be made in 3D to get people to see it.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Scott Pilgrim Vs The World Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page