post #61 of 85 Old 11-08-2010, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss View Post

It's imperceptible on my system (TV speakers, but decent sound and surround-sound simulation); the fan noise of my PS3 drowns it out if it's there. I'll try playing it really loud and see if I can hear it.

Okay, I watched the scene tonight with the volume turned up, and I can't hear her hit her apron. I don't have a surround sound system, just the TV speakers. I can clearly hear her snap/shake her bonnet after she picks it up before running to the abbey, but I can't hear a thing when she earlier hits her apron by dropping her arm after running her hand through her hair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 85 Old 11-09-2010, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegage View Post

It is there on my system, but lower; however, if you watch the special feature of Maria on the Julie Andrews Hour, when they play the opening clip the sound IS much more distinct.

John K.

I'm with eweiss on this. If it's there it is so low as to be imperceptable to anyone unless he knows it's supposed to be there and is straining to find it.

Good call on the Julie Andrews Hour bonus feature comparison, John K. Unfortunately, there were other things I noticed on the clips from the movie on that show. You not only can hear the apron slap VERY distinctly in the opening song on that 1973 television special, as distinctly as I remembered it in every theatrical screening of the movie I've ever seen, but you can also distinctly hear her footsteps on the stones as she crosses the brook in that same song and you can much more distinctly hear the horse's hoofs on the pavement in "Do-re-mi" when she and the kids are in the horse drawn wagon. You can hear the hoofs in the newer DVD versions, but not nearly as clearly all the way to the end of that segment as you can in the clip on the 1973 television show.

There must now be dozens if not several dozens of cases throughout the movie where the foley sound effects are either missing entirely or toned down so low as to be virtually non-existent. That's a shame.

Something has happened to the foley track in this movie along the way from one transer to another or one pressing to another, the restoration or whatever. What you hear in the musical numbers now seems to be giving more fidelity to what you'd hear on the album or CD of the musical soundtrack rather than in the movie itself. I realize we're not supposed to hear the apron slap or foot steps on the stones in the album or CD of the musical soundtrack. But we're SUPPOSED to hear them in the movie itself.

It's one of those things you might never realize is missing until you do an A-B comparison. But the fact is you know you are definitely missing something you can't quite put your finger on if you've seen this movie in the theater enough times. And, personally, I don't think something like that goes missing without detracting from the overall effect even if you'd never been aware of it before. The filmmakers sure wanted it to be there for a reason the first time around.

I wonder what the restoration team has to say about this.
post #63 of 85 Old 11-10-2010, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedBuyer View Post

Now I just might have to change my plans and get a Blu-ray Disc player!

Which means a worthy modern surround sound system to replace mine from 2001!!

Which means a dedicated projector like the Epson 8500UB instead of a first-timer's entry-level all-in-one like the Moviemate 85HD!!!

If they keep releasing the good stuff, packed with extras, instead of just bare-bones shlock like superhero movies, I'm going to really regret making cautious conservative purchases!!!!

So just this one blu-ray is making you get a player? There have been plenty of amazing releases on blu-ray so far..."Welcome to the party, pal!"
post #64 of 85 Old 11-10-2010, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Read review. Instantly drove to HMV and bought. Can't wait to watch tonight.

Thanks Ralph
post #65 of 85 Old 11-10-2010, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

Read review. Instantly drove to HMV and bought. Can't wait to watch tonight.

Thanks Ralph

Greetings,

No problem. Enjoy!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #66 of 85 Old 11-11-2010, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Ralph,

Spot on review Ralph!

This has got to be the best restoration of an old classic to date (with the exception of How the West Was Won). Several of us are nominating it for either Tier 0 or Tier 1 in the Blu-ray PQ thread, which is really a statement in itself of the work that was put into this restoration. Aside from a few soft shots and some distracting "color wavering" (primarily in earlier scenes), this is reference quality PQ.

Denny

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #67 of 85 Old 11-11-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchfan View Post

I'm with eweiss on this. If it's there it is so low as to be imperceptable to anyone unless he knows it's supposed to be there and is straining to find it.

Just to make sure I wasn't hallucinating I went back and listened on headphones. It IS there, but indeed so low as to be easily missable. Also, at least on headphones it's on the right side, even though she is toward the left side of the screen. I don't know if that's a downmix issue or a fault of the restoration.

John K.
post #68 of 85 Old 11-11-2010, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

Ralph,

Spot on review Ralph!

This has got to be the best restoration of an old classic to date (with the exception of How the West Was Won). Several of us are nominating it for either Tier 0 or Tier 1 in the Blu-ray PQ thread, which is really a statement in itself of the work that was put into this restoration. Aside from a few soft shots and some distracting "color wavering" (primarily in earlier scenes), this is reference quality PQ.

Denny

Greetings,

Great to hear Denny! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #69 of 85 Old 11-11-2010, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegage View Post

Just to make sure I wasn't hallucinating I went back and listened on headphones. It IS there, but indeed so low as to be easily missable. Also, at least on headphones it's on the right side, even though she is toward the left side of the screen. I don't know if that's a downmix issue or a fault of the restoration.

John K.

Unfortunately, the lowering or subduing of the foley track in that and, no doubt, countless other musical moments in this movie diminishes the incomparable impression of "life" that foley (sound effects) tracks contribute to a movie. As otherwise technically primitive as the clip of that same moment is in the Julie Andrews Hour bonus feature, the unmistakable and definite sound of her hand slapping the material of her apron imparts the thrilling sensation of actually standing a few feet away from her as she sings that song. Not so when the foley track is as subdued as it is in the main feature.

And, of course, foley tracks rarely add a single ambient sound to a moment. So, along with the effective loss of the sound of that hand slap in the opening number, the far more distinct sound of her footsteps on the stones across the brook, the more prominent horse hoof sounds in "Do-re-mi" and others for which there is no longer an easy A-B comparison went a probable wild track of the natural atmosphere of the environment, the ever-so-slight rustling of leaves in the trees, the hint of a jingle in the wagon driver's reins, and countless other additions that not only enhanced and helped this movie come to life in a theater as they would any movie but also helped The Sound of Music win its Oscar for Best Sound.

I am pleased with this blu-ray disc on so many other levels. But I guess I'm particularly disappointed that they couldn't restore the foley soundtrack or raise it closer to a level that added so much to the theatrical experience and that, obviously, has shown up on non-theatrical/television presentations in the past.
post #70 of 85 Old 11-13-2010, 01:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Would someone kindly check the case to see if it is actually marked as "Region A"

Several review sites are indicating that it is "Region Free"

Mine's on the way from USA to AUS, should be here in a few days so hoping it will play as Region B, or will have to get the mod for my Pioneer Player.

Great review Ralph, I worked in TV for near 40 years, my main job picture quality control, so am really looking forward to this release.
post #71 of 85 Old 11-13-2010, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhooks View Post

Would someone kindly check the case to see if it is actually marked as "Region A"

Several review sites are indicating that it is "Region Free"

Mine's on the way from USA to AUS, should be here in a few days so hoping it will play as Region B, or will have to get the mod for my Pioneer Player.

Great review Ralph, I worked in TV for near 40 years, my main job picture quality control, so am really looking forward to this release.

The only thing that I've found on my set is on the removable label listing the contents, bonuses, features and so on on this 3-Disc set. For the Blu-ray specification, they list the letter "A", although it doesn't exactly say "Region A", but shows the letter "A" within a crest in line with other specifications for sound, running time, aspect ratio, etc., so it probably is the region code for the Blu-ray discs. For the DVD bonus disc specification, they only mention "ntsc".

There is no mention of the word "region" on the disc itself or on the actual case, which on the 3-Disc set I've got is a commemorative book included with the purchase at Target.
post #72 of 85 Old 11-14-2010, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for that, think I'll have to wait for the "postie" (Australian for Postman)

I've mainly had Blu-rays from the UK which is the same region as here being "B"
Reasons for importing from UK are the extensive library. Here it takes up to or more than a year to get anything like the range available in USA or UK. Add to that, landed here including postage, the cost is a fraction of the same title release here!

Actually the labelling of Blu-rays as per what region they are is very vague between not only title releases, but also from the various studios.
I don't you will find any specifically marked as "Region Free". What they tend to do is just leave off any region indication at all if a title is free.
DVD's infact are more clearly marked in the main as to where they are intended to play!
I have a Diamond Edition Blu-ray of Beauty and the Beast which is marked in a small triangle "ABC" which is strange for Disney as in the past they have been very region specific.
DVD machines in Australia have for a number of years been quite legally available as completely open from all manufacturers to all DVD's as our government decided that the region blocking was "not on" here, but this hasn't followed for Blu-ray Players as yet.

Anyway back on-topic, there isn't the slightest clue as to when S.O.M. will be available here, so here's hoping that the little parcel I'm awaiting will spin correctly.
There are at least 3 Websites indicating that it's a go'er!
post #73 of 85 Old 11-15-2010, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 496
I'm only half way through. Haven't had time to watch. But so far it looks unreal. I can't believe how good it looks. Absolutely floored. My Dad and wife were equally blown away. Sounds good too

I just noticed this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

No it isn't the first. Speed racer was the first 100 for video. Since then there have been a few non-animated titles that have received the elusive "100".

- Sin City
- Home
- Beverly Hills Chihuahua

Regards,

My uncle was a Camera operator and the Stedicam Operator on Beverly Hills Chihuahua. Not a movie I care about, but nice to see his work preserved so well. Hopefully that is an indication of the quality of his work also
post #74 of 85 Old 11-17-2010, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

Absolutely amazing, I've never been one to watch this movie over & over again as many others have, but I'm sure I'll enjoy this more than once.
The remaster to Blu-ray is wonderful. I would have liked the audio, particularly the music to have a tad more sparkle at the top end of the frequency range, but imagine this is not possible given the year of production.
I ended up getting the Australian release full pack with extras, will keep the USA version as a gift for someone when it arrives. Be interesting to do a comparison between the two versions, but I doubt I'll notice any difference.
post #75 of 85 Old 11-19-2010, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

"The Apron Slap"

Blu-ray:

1. Eng DTS......... nil
2. Eng DD.......... nil
3. Port DD.......... nil
4. Fra DTS......... Loud & Clear
5. Spa DD...........nil
6. Julie Dialogue. nil
7. DD 2Ch.......... Loud & Clear

DVD Disc:

Eng DD 5.1....... Loud & Clear

Where I say "nil" above, this is at slightly louder than normal listening levels, may be something there with the volume cranked up a tad or if listening with headphones! However the Foley track is quite apparent and in good proportion where I have indicated.

These results for Australian Region B Box Set!

Haven't done the footsteps at the little stream, but for memory roughly the same as the apron slap results. The splash from Julie's thrown pebble appears in most tracks.
post #76 of 85 Old 11-22-2010, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Fishhooks, you inspired me to do a quick check of the three Blu-ray/DVD versions of The Sound of Music I have. I had thought there was no foley sound of "The Apron Slap" on my earlier versions, but it turns there is evidence of it in some cases but I was probably comparing it to the sound you hear in the theatrical presentations I've seen since and, by that comparison, those are still very subdued.

Again, I don't think this is an insignificant issue. I think the Loud & Clear awareness of that slap and no doubt dozens of other examples of now nil or subdued foley sound effects elsewhere is what helped give this movie a greater sense of being "alive and present" that, unfortunately, is too often lacking in the blu-ray and dvd versions.

I didn't go far beyond "The Apron Slap" and "The Footsteps on the stones across the brook" in the opening scene because it would just take too much time and effort to go back and forth between different discs. But for the fun of it and for your and others' comparisons, this is what I found. Others might hear something different, of course.

Like you, I'm going with "nil" to characterize what might be found under certain circumstances where the listener is really searching for it, but is so subdued as to be ineffectual, imo. The other characterizations, Loud & Clear, Audible and Barely Audible are, of course, my subjective impression as well.

"The Apron Slap"…and "The Footsteps on the stones across the brook"

U.S. Blu-ray, Combo Pack:
Eng. 7.1….nil…and nil. (this is the most unfortunate finding in the group, of course)
French 5.1 DTS….Loud & Clear…and Barely Audible.
Portuguese 5.1….nil…and nil.
Eng. 4.0 Dolby Surround….nil…and nil.
Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital….Loud and Clear…and Audible.

Accompanying DVD:
Eng. 5.1 Dolby Digital….Audible…and Audible.
Eng. 4.0 Dolby Digital….Audible…and Audible.
Spanish Dolby Surround….Loud & Clear…and nil.
French Dolby Surround….Loud & Clear…and nil.

40th Anniversary Edition DVD (2005):
Eng. 5.0 Surround….nil…and Loud & Clear.
Eng. Stereo….nil…and Loud & Clear.
French Surround….Loud & Clear…and nil.
Spanish Mono….Loud & Clear…and Barely Audible.

2-Disc Set Double Digipak Collector’s Edition (2003):
Eng. 4.1 Surround….Loud & Clear…and Loud & Clear.
Eng. Dolby Surround….Loud & Clear…and Loud & Clear.
French Dolby Surround….Loud & Clear…and Loud & Clear.

Robert Wise Commentary on the Blu-ray and 40th Anniversary Edition (2005):
Loud & Clear…and Loud & Clear on both versions.

Robert Wise Commentary on the 2-Disc Set Double Digipak Collector’s Edition (2003):
nil…and nil. (odd, since this DVD version is the only one where you hear those foley sounds Loud & Clear on all other sound options)

Btw, the 2-Disc Set Double Digipak Collector’s Edition (2003) is the only version that correctly clarifies by mentioning it in the menu options that the Robert Wise Commentary is ALSO an “Isolated Music Score” bonus feature. Neither the 40th Anniversary Edition DVD nor the 2010 Blu-ray mentions that it also includes an isolated music score feature and that might cause some confusion as to why there are no voices on those versions during several stretches where Robert Wise offers no comment.

And, if you REALLY want to hear how loud "The Apron Slap" and "The Footsteps on the stones across the brook" foley sound effects can be and should have been on these home theater version, imo, listen to the Robert Wise Commentary track on this Blu-ray or 40th Anniversary Edition DVD!
post #77 of 85 Old 11-25-2010, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Interesting point on the Region Coding.

I've just received the US 2 Blu-ray,1 DVD edition.

According to the liner notes, the Blu-ray's are Region "A", however they play Region "B" fine. The DVD is Region 1 and indeed is locked to Region 1.
The actual disc labels have no printed regions indicated.
post #78 of 85 Old 11-25-2010, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Well, duaghter bought home the BR version so we all watched it tonight. Somehow my Panny bd35 was choking on it, so upgraded the firmware. Well, glad we did.

The PQ was excellent. However, I did not appreciate the soft filtering for thematic scenes; I knew it was not the projector. The church scene and some dark scenes, such as I must Have Done Something Good, my sony hw10's iris was going like crazy even in manual mode, sort of distracting. I missed my JVC.

Bottom line, my wife and daughter both enjoyed it. Need to chill out...

Cheers.
post #79 of 85 Old 11-26-2010, 01:22 PM

Liked: 12
I have played som on my computer with powerdvd 10 ultra and the blu ray plays perfectly.
Tried it on my oppo 83 and the menu played fine. Tried playing the movie and even by scenes and it locks up the player. have to turn it off. I have the current version of the software, not the beta version. any suggestions??
post #80 of 85 Old 11-26-2010, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slots1 View Post

I have played som on my computer with powerdvd 10 ultra and the blu ray plays perfectly.
Tried it on my oppo 83 and the menu played fine. Tried playing the movie and even by scenes and it locks up the player. have to turn it off. I have the current version of the software, not the beta version. any suggestions??

Greetings,

Try clearing persistent storage and disable the BD-Live connection.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #81 of 85 Old 11-28-2010, 11:57 AM

Liked: 17
Usually Firewalls keep the bad software from entering into your computer from the outside.
However Blu-ray Live can be disabled in Power Dvd. See my post in the Back to the Future thread. I will post this over in the Home Theater Forum too.
Yes, the soundtracks are improving as a new generation of mastering engineers picks the bar up off the floor. Best heard with the new generation of all-digital amplifiers, like in the inexpensive Samsung 700.
post #82 of 85 Old 12-08-2010, 12:17 PM

I am having trouble running the 45th anniversary blu-ray edition on my Oppo BD-P83. Once I insert the disk, I get the usual Fox presentation and land in the top menú. If I choose to see the main program, I just get stuck there forever. All the special functions and options work perfectly fine, and I have managed to run the main program by entering the "My favorite things" option and cancelling it once it has started.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced a similar problem, with the same player or with a different one.

Regards,
post #83 of 85 Old 12-14-2010, 10:19 AM

My wife watches this movie about three times a year. She absolutely loves it.
post #84 of 85 Old 12-14-2010, 07:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky7! View Post

My wife watches this movie about three times a year. She absolutely loves it.

what is the prob with these wives lolmine tooadores it
post #85 of 85 Old 07-04-2011, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I really think it comes down to the extraordinary polish and professionalism of this movie from start to finish. You've got a director who made his name as editor of possibly the greatest movie ever made (Citizen Kane) working at the top of his game, always informed by his editor's eye and ear, and everyone else before and behind the camera doing some of their best work, always mindful of the potential "saccharine" or "preachy" pitfalls of the source material and expertly dodging or improving upon every one of them.

The commentary about why director Wise chose to shoot much of the Mother Superior's song, "Climb Ev'ry Mountain", in near darkness or with her face turned away from the camera vs the way he saw it done on stage is a prime example of someone who fully appreciates the effect of a cinematic image on its audience.

From the way an entrance is handled to the way a moment of recognition is conveyed, from the way a punchline is delivered and shot to the way the suspense develops and pays off, the standard of movie-making techniques is so high here, you are driven from one scene to the next despite yourself, despite whatever resistance you may have brought to it from the outside world.

As fine as the scenery and music are, I've always felt those elements were overstated as the reason for this movie's perennial popularity. Rogers and Hammerstein wrote better scores featured in other movie versions of their shows. Imo, the real reason this movie was and is so popular and why it can be re-watched so many times with new pleasures revealed each time has more to do with what makes "Citizen Kane" so fun to watch and re-watch; the movie-making techniques employed are doing what they were meant to do in almost every instance, doing it remarkably well, and they are doing it in service to something of substance, humor and value.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , The Sound Of Music

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page