Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 11-10-2010, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 102
attachment.php?attachmentid=190517&d=1289177538
The Review at a Glance: ( max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373697

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373697

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Starz / Anchor Bay - 2009
Feature running time: 100 minutes
Genre: Thriller/Crime/Drama
Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby True HD 5.1,
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Gemma Arterton, Martin Compston, Eddie Marsan
Directed by: J Blakeson
Music by: Marc Canham
Written by: J Blakeson
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 23, 2010

"It was a perfect crime. But they picked the wrong victim."

Film Synopsis:

Written and directed by J Blakeson, on a suburban street, two masked men seize a young woman. They bind and gag her and take her to an abandoned, soundproofed apartment. She is Alice Creed (Gemma Arterton), daughter of a millionaire. Her kidnappers, the coldly efficient Vic (Eddie Marsan) and his younger accomplice Danny (Martin Compston), have worked out a meticulous plan. But Alice is not going to play the perfect victim – she’s not giving in without a fight. In a tense power-play of greed, duplicity and survival we discover that sometimes disappearances can be deceptive…

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=190513&d=1289177147

In 'The Disappearance of Alice Creed' we get to witness a surgically executed kidnapping, from setting up the location where Alice Creed (Gemma Arterton) will be held hostage, to how perfectly efficient the kidnappers are when snatching her up. It is brutal, unforgiving and all business as the kidnappers (Martin Compston, Eddie Marsan) make her drink to stay hydrated, eat only when necessary, and make her urinate in a hand-held urinal as she lays tied up, gaged in bed with a bag on her head. Of course this is all about money, and these kidnappers are all business. As things are set in motion to get ransom from Alice's millionaire Father, the best-laid plans go awry and we find not everyone and everything is as it seems.

'The Disappearance of Alice Creed' is an great example of a promising start to a new film-makers career. Writer/Director J Blakeson first effort is impressive, not for the film as a whole but for the sum of its parts. Having only three actors and one location (the apartment where she is held) never felt like it weighed the film down, in fact, it helped. The minimalistic approach with an eye towards pacing, great acting and cinematography made an OK movie become a very good film. The tension and mystery built by the one set location became claustrophobic to the film itself by the time the third act reared its ugly head; and then things got a bit predictable and clichéd.

The films saving grace is that we can feel the of hunger of newcomer, Writer/Director J Blakeson, as well as the amazing job by the cast. The sexy and chameleon-esque Gemma Arterton really became Alice Creed and Martin Compston was natural as the younger, submissive kidnapper Danny. Eddie Marsan (Sherlock Holmes) was amazing as Vic, the older, dominate and almost bi-Polar ex-con who orchestrated the kidnapping.

'The Disappearance of Alice Creed' felt like a fresh take on an old theme. There have been many kidnapping/ransom film before, but here we never see the police or hear another voice other than the 3 characters involved. What I found so impressive was that I was captivated enough that it took me over an hour in to realize that!.

Parental Guide:

Rated R for bloody horror violence and some language

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 86

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373694

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373698

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373697

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373697

Video: 92

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373697

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373698

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373698

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=121037369
attachment.php?attachmentid=190514&d=1289177147

'The Disappearance of Alice Creed' comes to Blu-ray Disc from Anchor Bay Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 19.6 mbps and Dolby TrueHD 5.1 Surround Sound that has an average bitrate of 3.6 mbps.

'The Disappearance of Alice Creed' is a stellar looking Blu-ray release from Anchor Bay. Besides some noise peeking up in blacks, which almost looked like exacerbated grain, this was a sharp and detailed encode. The source elements were gorgeous, somehow looking filmic though filmed in 2k resolution. Colors and flesh tones seemed right on the money with no glaring issues. Every shot looked composed, with the mind to show off detail from wrinkles and pores to the sound dampening foam on the apartments wall.

The Dolby TrueHD 5.1 Surround Sound, while having limited action, did its job with the utmost confidence. Dynamics from quite to loud while a soft song was in the background worked very well. LFE and surround were not paramount here, nor were they needed--however when used, the latter was smooth and pleasing and the former never overdone. However, I had one issue, which I did go back to confirm-- there were moments where dialogue did get a bit low. It was strange because there was nothing really going on in the background during these moments. It did only happen a couple of times but didn't ruin the track.

Bonus Features:

• Audio Commentary on Extended and Deleted Scene by Director J Blakeson

• (HD) Extended and Deleted Scene

• (HD) Storyboard Featurette

• (HD) Theatrical Trailer

• (HD) Trailers: Altitude, I Spit on Your Grave & Spartacus: Blood and Sand
attachment.php?attachmentid=190515&d=1289177152

Final Thoughts:

'The Disappearance of Alice Creed' sucked me in by its execution, both acting and directing. The story does get a bit overdrawn by the time the third act hits, but does pick itself for the end, though treading some unfortunately less original territory. The video looks wonderful and detailed, making watching this film that much better. The storyboard comparison was one of the few extras I really enjoyed watching, as it is always interesting to see a directors mindset before filming. 'The Disappearance of Alice Creed' comes highly recommended.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157497&d=1257542613

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS35 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Custom 1.3 Gain 128" 2.37:1 CinemaScope Screen
Pioneer SC27 Receiver (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Pioneer Elite BDP-23FD Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Triangle Zerius Speakers (7.1)
SVS PC13-Ultra Subwoofer

Lee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 11-10-2010, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks, Lee. You and I seem to have the same taste in movies. So, I'll have to pick this one up.

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #3 of 21 Old 11-10-2010, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Oh...yea !! Good times Lee , a 3 1/2 star flick... better days ahead..I can see it!!

These last few reviews I envisioned you with a brown bag over your head...like the Dallas Cowboy fans of late .

I knew a call to the king would work ! by the way are you doing Expendables coming in 2 weeks ?

Good Job !
Birdfan
post #4 of 21 Old 11-10-2010, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Ah! Almost missed this one!

Based on this review and score i'll definitely be collecting this one! Plus Gemma Arterton is in it as well!

Cheers
post #5 of 21 Old 11-12-2010, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
No one else has seen this? I'm really on the fence on this 1. How's the dialogue on this? Look's kind of like a foriegn type film where you have actors mumbling their lines due to their english or irish accents, making it hard to understand what the hell they are trying to say.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #6 of 21 Old 11-12-2010, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Finally, a film worth Lee's time. I'm looking forward to this one.
post #7 of 21 Old 11-14-2010, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

No one else has seen this? I'm really on the fence on this 1. How's the dialogue on this? Look's kind of like a foriegn type film where you have actors mumbling their lines due to their english or irish accents, making it hard to understand what the hell they are trying to say.

Still... no one else has seen this?

2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #8 of 21 Old 11-14-2010, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

Well it is a foreign film...British. Just have a cup of coffee and I think you will do just fine keeping up. Its English after all!

Lee

post #9 of 21 Old 11-14-2010, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weber View Post

Well it is a foreign film...British. Just have a cup of coffee and I think you will do just fine keeping up. Its English after all!

Thanks Lee! You know how some of these films can be though. With the accents and their dialect it can make it annoying having to really focus on what they're saying. Even with the blokes from England.

2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #10 of 21 Old 11-18-2010, 12:19 PM

Excellent film with many twists and strong performances from the 3 actors. Can't wait to see it again!

Thanks for the review. I will be picking it up for sure.
post #11 of 21 Old 11-23-2010, 08:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Also really liked this one. Great audio and PQ to boot.
post #12 of 21 Old 11-27-2010, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I liked it as well but the third act was very disappointing. An interesting writer/director to watch in the future.

R
post #13 of 21 Old 11-30-2010, 08:12 PM

I'm getting audio dropouts from this on my Oppo 83 while playing the TrueHD track. I played it on two other players with no dropout, although this wasn't the TrueHD track, and I the only other option the oppo gave me was the commentary track (which didn't have dropouts during the same scene).

All the dropouts come as soon as
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
the flames shoot out of the van, after Vic throws the gas can in it
and continue intermittently for about 10 seconds.

If it's just the disc, then I'll exchange it. But I'm not sure.
post #14 of 21 Old 11-30-2010, 11:21 PM

I have exactly the same problem albeit with a rental of the Blu-ray from Netflix so it's not just you. This is also on an Oppo BDP-83 with the latest firmware; two Sony and one Denon BDPs are all fine.
post #15 of 21 Old 12-01-2010, 10:52 AM

Yep, I just exchanged my disc and I'm getting the same dropouts. I've posted the problem in the BDP-83 thread.
post #16 of 21 Old 12-11-2010, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Good Movie..thanks for the heads up or I might have missed this one. No audio problems on my 83 from my BBuster rental.
post #17 of 21 Old 12-12-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacco View Post
Good Movie..thanks for the heads up or I might have missed this one. No audio problems on my 83 from my BBuster rental.
Yeah it was a problem that was fixed by using the latest beta firmware.
post #18 of 21 Old 01-15-2011, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Watched this one last night. I thought it was a pretty decent movie...my only problem with it is:
Spoiler  
She was completely free, but instead of just grabbing the pants from the side, or kicking them further away, she slowly crouches down giving Danny the perfect chance to attack her. I hate when movies make their characters do incredibly stupid things just so they can write themselves out of a corner.
post #19 of 21 Old 01-15-2011, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Spot on review Lee. This movie did not really call to me, but based on your review, I put in my queue - and I am glad I did. Three actor show and it was pretty compelling. Vic was great- in a sadly, horrific kind of way.

post #20 of 21 Old 01-17-2011, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Completely agree with your review Lee. Thanks for covering this one, I probably wouldn't have seen it if it wasn't for your review.

I loved how this revolved around three people, and only three. Great tension, revelations, and lots of thought provolking decisions. Great acting as well.

I love character driven films, and this is defintely character driven, and mostly well written.

...and Stormshadow4life, I agree regarding your spoiler, if it is the part I'm thinking of. I remember thinking the same thing. There were a couple of those "yeah right" moments if I recall correctly.

PQ: 4 out of 5, SQ, 3.5 out of 5, Film 3.5 out of 5

Dan
post #21 of 21 Old 01-22-2011, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Thanks Lee! You know how some of these films can be though. With the accents and their dialect it can make it annoying having to really focus on what they're saying. Even with the blokes from England.

We don't have any difficulties understanding the differing accents and dialects from the US so as a brit, you will forgive me if I find your comments bordering on being insulting.

Try listening carefully to get past the accent. I have a similar problem understanding my local fast food proprietors accent sometimes. He speaks fluent English but is spanish and has a very very strong spanish accent. If I stop concentrating his voice becomes a noise but if I "listen" properly he is speaking really good English in fact.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
The Disappearance Of Alice Creed Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page