Avatar Extended Collector's Edition (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 121 Old 11-16-2010, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 519
attachment.php?attachmentid=191190&d=1289831803
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2009
MPAA Rating: PG-13, Unrated
Feature running time: 162 minutes, 170 minutes, 178 minutes
Genre: Fantasy/Adventure/Sci-fi

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, Portuguese
Starring: Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Stephen Lang, Michelle Rodriguez, Sigourney Weaver, Giovanni Ribisi, Laz Alonzo, Wes Studi, CCH Pounder
Written & Directed by: James Cameron
Music by: James Horner
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 16, 2010

"Enter the world"

Film Synopsis:

Director James Cameron is unlocking the secrets of Pandora and taking fans on a guided tour of his vision with the highly anticipated release of AVATAR Extended Collector’s Edition on Blu-ray and DVD releasing November 16th in North America and rolling out internationally from November 15th. These exclusive Extended Collector’s Editions come with iconic, collectible packaging to get fans to experience Pandora like never before. With three versions of the film, AVATAR fans will get an all-new extended cut of the film and hours of never-before seen material including over 45 minutes of amazing deleted scenes!

A reluctant hero. An epic journey. A choice between the life he left behind and the incredible new world he's learned to call home. Return to James Cameron's Avatar - the greatest adventure of all time.

My Take:

I reviewed Avatar on Blu-ray when it was released back in the spring. The original release was a barebones edition that contained only the Blu-ray and DVD versions of the film in their original theatrical release editions. This extended collector’s edition contains three versions of the film, the theatrical, special edition re-release, and the new collector’s extended cut which adds 16 minutes to the original and 8 minutes to the re-release. I watched the extended cut and my experience with the film was much the same as when I first saw it. In this day an age 3 hours movies are rare but I must admit that I never once took note of the time or felt that the pacing was sluggish. On the contrary I felt that the majority of the additional components added more depth to the story. The new opening featured a bit more on Jake and where he was at in his life when he received word of his brother’s death and the offer to take his place. There is also a deeper plot relative to Grace, her work with at the Na’vi school and what happened there prior to Jake’s arrival. The remainder is made up of extended sequences, some that proved worthwhile and others that neither added nor detracted. As a fan of the film this is my preferred choice although I wouldn’t say that it makes Avatar a better film I do think that my original rating was a bit low so I have bumped it up. Here are the comments from my original review:

Let’s face it James Cameron knows how to create a motion picture that seems to truly represent his vision as a filmmaker. I am probably one of the only few reading this that didn’t see Avatar in the theater. My kids saw it but my wife and I just never got around to it. I am a fan of Cameron’s and have been for years but this is a film that deep down I felt I wanted to experience for the first time in my own theater room. I wasn’t disappointed. Avatar is the name given the biologically engineered, genetically matched and remotely controlled “suits” created so that humans could interact with the indigenous humanoid Na’vi of the distant planet of Pandora. A fertile and lush world inhabited by a host of alien species and a precious material known as unobtainium, a room temperature, super-conductor for energy, which makes it very valuable. A joint military/civilian scientist outpost has been established on Pandora for the purposes of mining it however the Na’vi are not open to intruding outsiders and their colony rests on the area where the highest concentration of unobtainium is located. Jake Sully is a former marine and paraplegic whose recently deceased twin brother was slated for the Avatar program.

Because Jake is a genetic match for his brother he has been brought to Pandora to take his place. He meets with both the military and civilian personnel who both have completely different agendas. The military is employed by a corporation seeking the unobtainium and the scientists, holding the key through the Avatar program, seek to study the planet and its inhabitants. Jake is brought into the fold and quickly learns how the corporation/military want there agenda met when they instruct him to use his recently acquired relationship with Neytiri, a female of the Na’vi to gather intelligence to help supplant the tribe. After living among the Na’vi and being instructed in their customs through Neytiri Jake begins to lose focus on the mission. He becomes enamored by their world and finds himself falling for Neytiri. Once this becomes evident the corporation instructs the military to move in forcibly which results in a standoff that leaves Jake right smack in the middle. Does he assist in the destruction of the Na’vi and the world he has grown to love or does he stand with them in defense of their home against a mightier and better prepared army?

Avatar’s premise about an undercover that becomes seduced by the world which he is infiltrating is certainly nothing new. Formulaic or not this story strikes all the requisite chords and has enough substance to keep interest from waning. Quite honestly I think that for me the real attraction here is found both in the combination of the story’s elements and the visual stimulation contained in the imaginary world created by James Cameron. I am a sucker for the good versus evil, little guy taking on the giant concept so this one lured me in early on. Being a fan of Cameron’s past works this felt like slipping on a brand new pair of shoes and already having them broken in. I can’t say that everyone will feel the same but I found Avatar to be highly entertaining and definitely an evening well spent.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for intense epic battle sequences and warfare, sensuality, language and some smoking.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 100

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: Detail:%20%3Cimg%20src=

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 100

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Avatar comes to Blu-ray Disc from Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 33 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.8 Mbps.

In looking at this presentation and comparing it to my comments from my original review my impression hasn’t changed. The integrated elements are cohesively rendered and don’t detract from this alluring video presentation. Here are the comments from my original review:

This is a stellar high definition presentation that boasts rich, delineated primary colors, beautifully lush pastels and vibrant hues that are vivid, bold and striking in high definition. The video quality is nothing short of mesmerizing in its depiction of the film’s digitally crafted images. Objects onscreen are exquisitely detailed with a luminous and sparkling clarity that seems infinitely lucid and three dimensional. It never left me wanting for fine degrees of subtle refinement and texture. The attention to detail in the construction of the Na’vi’s physical characteristics is truly impressive and can be fully appreciated thanks to this presentation’s exquisite level of definition. Contrast is strong and blacks are deep without compromise to delineation. Shadowy areas exhibit excellent depth of field and visible gradational stages. The various wide angle shots of the visually complex world of Pandora look absolutely stunning. Flesh tones are not overtly complex in tone but appear diverse in subtle structure and complexional makeup. This is a sophisticated visual design that uses real imagery mixed with CGI. The end result is a flawless and superlative video presentation that truly evokes the spirit and emotion of the film.

There has been much debate regarding the application of low frequency effects in this mix during a few sequences in the film with the falling of home tree being the primary topic of discussion. I didn’t and still don’t see this as a detractor but feel it is a component inherent in the original surround mix that wasn’t intended to contain earth shattering LFE. Whether or not I feel it should is another matter but it doesn’t change the fact that this is a great home theater presentation that rocks. Here are the comments from my original review:

The DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack is reference quality and is sure to please those who like to play their systems loud. I had high expectations for this soundtrack and this lossless audio presentation didn’t disappoint. I was treated to an impeccably detailed, powerfully dynamic, and demonstrative surround sound experience. Multi-layered sound effects are appropriately placed within the soundfield so that their purpose was definable yet never overstated. The mix makes effective and often aggressive use of the surround channels to elongate the front soundstage and reproduce the spatial and discrete sounds of this demanding soundtrack. The front and rear sound fields are integrated with precision which enables a seamless transference during panning sequences. The listening position is submerged into a 360 degree web of sound that is sometimes riveting as it bombards the senses with a combination of well placed sound effects and musical ambience. Dialogue is supremely articulated with excellent focus, clarity and descriptive intonation. Low frequency detail can be substantial as it occasionally reaches seismic levels that will test the limits of lesser subwoofers. The extended dynamic range of the recording coupled with the inherent high resolution audio encoding renders the bombastic nature of battle with superlative high level sonics and authoritative bass transients that are deep, powerful and sometimes timber rattling. I am the first to admit that I love deep, clean, powerful bass and this track delivers it in spades. I found its ability to render fine detail, and subtle nuance to be excellent. As viewers I think we sometimes miss some of the intricacies that go into the design of soundtracks such as this. Not so in this case as even seemingly inconspicuous minutia within the recording is detectable. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute with terrific soundtrack. Avatar on Blu-ray is truly demonstrative worthy in every regard as it looks and sounds sublime.

attachment.php?attachmentid=191191&d=1289831803

Bonus Features:

• I must admit to being sorely disappointed when the original high definition release of Avatar contained no bonus features. As a fan of James Cameron’s films I have always marveled at the background on his projects and appreciated the documentation provided in his home video releases. When it was announced that this collector’s edition release was coming I had high expectations and in true Cameron fashion no stone was left unturned.

It seems that of late I have come across several Blu-ray Disc sets packaged in a unique configuration and this Collector’s Edition of Avatar falls into that category. The set comes house in a book style keep case that is comprised of three “pages” (one for each disc) containing sleeves. The discs rest on a thin glossy sleeve (held in place by a flap) that slides into the “page”. The “book” slides into an attractive and sturdy cardboard slipcover with the requisite store shelf type slipcover sliding over that (see photo). Getting the discs in and out is straightforward enough but the flap holding the disc precludes a smooth transition and must be tucked in for a good fit. It’s far from being problematic and overall I would rate the quality of the packaging as good.

Disc 1:

• Direct access to the additional scenes from the re-release and extended cuts of the film

• Family Audio track (All objectionable language removed) – Theatrical and Re-release versions

• Disc2:

• (HD) 28 Deleted scenes including over 45 minutes of never before seen footage

• (HD) Capturing Avatar – 4 part documentary

• (HD) A message from Pandora – A 20 minute documentary hosted by James Cameron

• (HD) Production materials - 14 segment making of that includes ILM prototypes, screen tests, VFX progressions and more

• Disc 3:

• (HD) Scene deconstruction: 17 segments are broken down and featured in template, capture, and final form which are viewable in an toggled active comparative via a PiP window operated by your remote

• (HD) Featurettes (totaling nearly 90 minutes) :

1. Sculpting Avatar
    2. Creating the Banshee
    3. Creating the Thanator
    4. The Amp suit
    5. Flying vehicles
    6. Na’vi costumes
    7. Speaking Na’vi
    8. Pandora flora
    9. Stunts
    10. Performance capture
    11. Virtual camera
    12. The 3D fusion camera
    13. The simulcam
    14. Editing Avatar
    15. Scoring Avatar
    16. Sound design
    17. The Haka: The spirit of New Zealand

• (HD) Avatar archives:

1. Theatrical and teaser trailers
    2. Avatar: The original scriptment
    3. Avatar: Screenplay written by James Cameron
    4. Pandorapedia – Comprehensive interactive text
    5. Avatar the songs

• (HD) The art of Avatar – A plethora of high definition images

• BD-Live powered Live extras: Screen test footage – Stephen Lang, Zoe Saldana, Sam Worthington, Givanni Ribisi, CCH Pounder, Rehearsal footage, Weta workshop, and a short featuring the film crew

Final Thoughts:

I enjoy Avatar and find it to be a highly entertaining film indicative of the large scale and visionary style productions that we have come to expect from writer/director James Cameron. I had high expectations for this Extended Collectors’ Edition from Cameron and Fox and I was not disappointed. The film is a technical marvel that exudes the very best that we as enthusiasts have come to expect from the Blu-ray format. No matter how large your screen or how precise your audio equipment this presentation will knock your socks off. This full featured three disc edition which contains three versions of the film as well as a soup to nuts accounting of the production is a fan’s delight. It has found a home in my collection and gets my definitive recommendation for those who enjoy Avatar.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 121 Old 11-16-2010, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
As stated I still don't see how the audio portion deserves such a high mark, only due to the LFE not being quite up to what was presented on the screen. That HUGE a tree should have quite a bit more oomph involved. They really blew it in that regard. If it was more impactful like it should have been, it would have helped add to the emotional impact that was portrayed by the Na’vi.

I MEAN THAT TREE IS HUGE!!!!

I don't think I've ever seen a such a HUGE tree in my life.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #3 of 121 Old 11-16-2010, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Slightly O.T., I just think it's too bad this film doesn't have something more to offer than technological marvels. Story is severely lacking, derivative, poorly written and frankly pretty insulting to the audience. So what's new.............
It doesn't cost any more to offer original stories with intelligent writing, Cameron could do much, much better.
post #4 of 121 Old 11-16-2010, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Debating double dipping for the extra content, hmmm.

I thought the sound was bang on.
post #5 of 121 Old 11-16-2010, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for putting this up here Ralph. I was curious about the 16 minutes of extra footage. On one hand I am a sucker for extended footage because sometimes it can really add to the movie especially when it is substantial addition like the 30+ minutes in Troy and the whopping additional time in Dances With Wolves.

Granted it sometimes leaves a sour taste in my mouth when I have already made a purchase like I have with the Blu-Ray of Avatar but in some cases like Troy I hadn't made a purchase yet.

I'm still on the fence on Avatar whether it warrants an additional purchase right away or whether I can just pick this up at a much later date when the price has possibly come back down.

Sometimes all of these re-releases can be annoying. They are welcomed when they make improvements like the re-release of Gladiator but when you already have a fantastic presentation it is hard to justify a 2nd purchase on 16 minute of additional footage.

Thank you for your insight to this additional footage Ralph.
post #6 of 121 Old 11-16-2010, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

As stated I still don't see how the audio portion deserves such a high mark, only due to the LFE not being quite up to what was presented on the screen.

You have to remember that this review is only one person's opinion.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #7 of 121 Old 11-16-2010, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Slightly O.T., I just think it's too bad this film doesn't have something more to offer than technological marvels. Story is severely lacking, derivative, poorly written and frankly pretty insulting to the audience. So what's new.............
It doesn't cost any more to offer original stories with intelligent writing, Cameron could do much, much better.

Which is your opinion. You just didn't "get" it.

This has no "less of a story" than any of Cameron's other movies, and I'm tired of people saying this. Wrong, plain and simple.
post #8 of 121 Old 11-16-2010, 11:37 AM

I knew the first edition was bare bones, so this is a no brainer. Just like LOTR, the extended version will be the one worth having in your collection.

Thanks Ralph, as usual, another concise and informative review.
post #9 of 121 Old 11-16-2010, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uni_panther View Post

I'm still on the fence on Avatar whether it warrants an additional purchase right away or whether I can just pick this up at a much later date when the price has possibly come back down.

Thank you for your insight to this additional footage Ralph.

I'm pretty much not going to buy a second copy of the film. I am a HUGE fan of sci-fi flicks but this film just doesn't seem to "age well". I've watched it twice and that is enough.

My Lord of the Rings disks are almost worn out. I have enjoyed watching Forbidden Planet, even the latest Star Trek and many other movie titles over and over, again. Avatar,... not so much. It's a visual feast but, for me, the story just doesn't cut it. The story is too much of a cheap "comic book".
post #10 of 121 Old 11-16-2010, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by FendersRule View Post

This has no "less of a story" than any of Cameron's other movies, and I'm tired of people saying this. Wrong, plain and simple.

I second that, you can watch a movie like Hurtlocker once maybe twice and that's it... but Avatar it's a delight to watch, like a waking dream, a visual treat based around a simple solid story.
post #11 of 121 Old 11-16-2010, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thanks for the review Ralph. I was curious about the additional footage, but like others, wasn't that impressed with the story so i'll wait to see the extended on HBO etc. I really think my disappointment with this movie came from the Oscar hype. If this would have been marketed to me as the greatest popcorn flick of all time, i just couldn't argue. It certainly was a visual feast. The fact that it was categorized as a best picture nominee was laughable at best. Like you, i enjoy Cameron's work (Terminator, Abyss, Aliens, True Lies) when he's making great "popcorn" or action movies, but can't stand weak stories and poor dialogue (Titanic, Avatar). Having said all that, if the sequels to Avatar equal the AV presentation of the first, i'll buy em!
post #12 of 121 Old 11-16-2010, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The movie was ok. I felt the story was very similar to Dances With Wolves except time period. I actually enjoyed the Star Trek 2009 movie a little more as far as the more recent sci-fi flicks I've seen.
post #13 of 121 Old 11-16-2010, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I should have really held off on buying Avatar back in April for this 3 disc set. I kind of regret it now. Maybe I will trade in my 1 disc Avatar Blu-ray somewhere and use the trade in value for the 3 disc set from Amazon or something.
post #14 of 121 Old 11-16-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:

I totally agree with you! I've spoken to 50+ friends and family members about this film and they ALL thought the story could have been better. Or at least it could have been as promising as the gross marketing campaign portrayed it to be.

And I must also point out that Mr. Potts only gives 100 scores to movies post 1990. Just take a look at his Sound of Music review.
post #15 of 121 Old 11-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Is the audio mix the same as the bare bones edition? In other words, is the LFE channel still a bit on the conservative side at times?

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #16 of 121 Old 11-16-2010, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I really can't wrap my head around why this movie is so popular/well reviewed.

Does it have the visuals? yea, for sure... credit where credit's due. But the whole story is the same contrived BS thats been rehashed and regurgitated since time immemorium.

I saw this posted in a forum once and i couldn't stop laughing b/c of how true it is:

Klipsch RF-62 L/R, RC-62 C, Energy C-100 SL/SR, HSU VTF-15H, Marantz SR5003.

"All speakers sound good when you're on a coke binge in the middle of an orgy." - Heebdawg16
post #17 of 121 Old 11-16-2010, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by FendersRule View Post

I have some friends that love bashing this movie, why exactly I really don't know..Well they have the reason, but there are so many god awful flicks out there than this one, but it has become acceptable and cool to say something isn't good these days with Twitter and Face book these days.

I myself thought it was great entertainment, and took it for what it was a Sci Fi movie.

Djoel

post #18 of 121 Old 11-16-2010, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrimnir View Post

But the whole story is the same contrived BS thats been rehashed and regurgitated since time immemorium.

Yes, it's a retelling of a story that's been told many times. There are many examples of this. indeed, most storytelling consists of adapting something familiar and well-known by putting some new spin on it.

It's not as if Pocahontas wasn't just as derivative.

When people cite something as being original, they're always wrong. They just aren't familiar with the source material.

There is so much new and original in this movie that to load it down with a complex story would have damaged it irrevocably. It's just that the new and original stuff is not in the plot or the dialog. I cheer James Cameron for understanding this, and giving us something that engages the senses and the emotions without trying to disguise it as faux-intellectual garbage.

The internet is full of people who have convinced themselves that bashing is a creative contribution to discourse. Deep down they know they are failures, and that makes them lash out at the successful just to make themselves feel better. This leads to the sort of deep rooted cynicism that kills honest emotion -- and the ability to appreciate works intended to engage honest emotion. Avatar is not a movie for cynics.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #19 of 121 Old 11-16-2010, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

As much as i love the movie the question is....

Is it worth getting/re-buying again with the extra features? HHHmmmm... Confused.
post #20 of 121 Old 11-16-2010, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

Yes, it's a retelling of a story that's been told many times. There are many examples of this. indeed, most storytelling consists of adapting something familiar and well-known by putting some new spin on it.

It's not as if Pocahontas wasn't just as derivative.

When people cite something as being original, they're always wrong. They just aren't familiar with the source material.

There is so much new and original in this movie that to load it down with a complex story would have damaged it irrevocably. It's just that the new and original stuff is not in the plot or the dialog. I cheer James Cameron for understanding this, and giving us something that engages the senses and the emotions without trying to disguise it as faux-intellectual garbage.

The internet is full of people who have convinced themselves that bashing is a creative contribution to discourse. Deep down they know they are failures, and that makes them lash out at the successful just to make themselves feel better. This leads to the sort of deep rooted cynicism that kills honest emotion -- and the ability to appreciate works intended to engage honest emotion. Avatar is not a movie for cynics.

Although I am not a raving Avatar fan, I must say your post is quite good ..

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #21 of 121 Old 11-16-2010, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrimnir View Post

I really can't wrap my head around why this movie is so popular/well reviewed.

Does it have the visuals? yea, for sure... credit where credit's due. But the whole story is the same contrived BS thats been rehashed and regurgitated since time immemorium.

I saw this posted in a forum once and i couldn't stop laughing b/c of how true it is:

When I saw Avatar in 3D at the theater, the first thing that crossed my mind was how similar in story it was to Disney's Pocahontas. (funny thing, I had just watched it a few days before going to see Avatar so it was fresh in my mind)
Avatar is a visual treat, pushing 3D and CGI innovation. The story, however is far, far from original. I do own the first blu-ray release. I won't be picking this version up but if they get around to releasing a 3D version with all the extras, I will definitely double dip.
post #22 of 121 Old 11-16-2010, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Although I am not a raving Avatar fan, I must say your post is quite good ..

It's soo good that's I'm about to memorized it and make it my own while telling my pals OFF

Djoel

post #23 of 121 Old 11-16-2010, 03:18 PM

Liked: 11
I'm not sure why this movie owned the box office. Not only because of the cardboard thin story, shallow one dimensional characters and cringe worthy dialogue but also for the visuals. Yes it looked great but it was basically an elaborate Pixar movie.

I saw the movie in 3D (but not in Imax) and there was motion blur and depth of field blurriness, just like every other movie I have seen in 3D. Yeah I 'm sure the experience was better in Imax but almost every 3D movie would look awesome in Imax. I just didn't see why this 3D was better than prior 3D movies except the glasses were more comfortable.

I couldn't wait for the movie to end in the theaters. I was shocked people were seeing this in droves. You know the character development is bad when you couldn't describe Sam Rockwell's character's personality in any way except he's disabled. To pull that off in a 3 hour movie is not easy so it shows you how much Cameron ignored everything except the 3d gimmick. Easily his worst movie, I would rather see Pirahna 2.

To watch an even longer version of this snorefest is incomprehensible. The sad thing is this turd of a movie has paved the way for even more drivel at the box office that cares little about good stories and character development.
post #24 of 121 Old 11-16-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Blu-ray Disc from Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 33 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.8 Mbps
As Mr. Potts stated in his post the disc has an average audio bitrate of 3.8 Mbps, I did the math and my calculations says that the movie is encoded at 48khz/16bit?? Why 16 instead of 24bit??

I think will see in the near future another Special Edition disc, with a huge advertise of improved soundtrack encoded at 24bit, so audiophiles have more than enough reasons to fill the stores and buy the movie again.
post #25 of 121 Old 11-16-2010, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 71
It was fun eye candy I'll admit that. But it's the usual slop from Cameron. Crappy story, evil white guys, stupid military, tree-huggers, blah,blah,blah.......

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #26 of 121 Old 11-16-2010, 03:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
The internet is also full of people who like to attack the messenger and ignore the message.

Avatar is written to exploit people's emotions, which is different from "engaging" them. It's "success" is evidence enough of that.
post #27 of 121 Old 11-16-2010, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post
It was fun eye candy I'll admit that. But it's the usual slop from Cameron. Crappy story, evil white guys, stupid military, tree-huggers, blah,blah,blah.......
bingo
post #28 of 121 Old 11-16-2010, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
The internet is also full of people who like to attack the messenger and ignore the message.

Avatar is written to exploit people's emotions, which is different from "engaging" them. It's "success" is evidence enough of that.
It's facile (and wrong, and very shallow, and - dare i say? - cynical) to conclude that what someone else is feeling isn't genuine, just because you don't feel it too.

The movie was successful, not "successful." Unless your only gauge of success is whether you personally approve of it.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #29 of 121 Old 11-16-2010, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I long for the day when studios will stop making us double dip. I mean seriously they couldn't have just released this instead of the previous version. I swear Cameron is almost as good at this type of crapola as George Lucas. I didn't even both with the LOTR series on Bluray knowing that soon the EE versions will be out and shame on the studios for releasing the bare bone versions of that series when the EE are already out on DVD.

I totally agree that three versions of this snorefest isn't worth anymore of my money.
post #30 of 121 Old 11-16-2010, 05:19 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

PQ/AQ is perfect IMO.. Story..ugh.. Reminds me of the stereotypical evil 'white man' trying to take over the Indians land.. & set on destruction.. & of course, one sees the error of their ways & changes team.. The story is mediocre & predictable.. But the Visuals & audio is so stunning you don't really care..

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Avatar 3d Blu Ray Collectors Edition , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Avatar by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page