Studio and Year: Paramount - 2010
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 103 minutes
Genre: Adventure/Action

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish,/Brazilian Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese
Starring: Noah Ringer, Dev Patel, Nicola Peltz, Jackson Rathbone, Shaun Toub
Written & Directed by: M. Night Shyamalan
Music by: James Newton Howard
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 16, 2010

"Four nations, one destiny"

Film Synopsis:

Experience the thrilling live-action adventure based on the hit Nickelodeon series Avatar: The Last Airbender. Join Aang, an extraordinary boy with incredible bending powers, as he journeys through an exotic land filled with magical creatures and powerful friends. As the Avatar, he is the only one who can end the age-old conflict between the four nations, Air, Water, Earth and Fire. An inspirational journey, The Last Airbender is exciting entertainment for the entire family!

My Take:

Based on the first season of the animated television series Avatar: The Last Airbender. The Last Airbender is an action adventure film that centers around Aang, a twelve year old boy who is the long lost Avatar - a spiritual figure that holds the world in balance through every incarnation. His mysterious disappearance 100 years ago allowed the Fire Nation to declare war on the other nations (the Air Nomads, the Water Tribes and the Earth Kingdom) in their attempt to conquer the world. Aang is a reluctant hero with reservations about his role as the Avatar. After being discovered encased in ice by Katara and Sokka who befriend him, the trio set out on a journey to reunite the tribes and thwart the impending dominion of the Fire Nation who will stop at nothing to prevent Aang from fulfilling his destiny.

I knew nothing about The Last Airbender before seeing the trailer for this film the first time. I thought the teaser looked interesting but didn't offer enough for serious consideration. I don't recall seeing it playing at the local theater or hearing any feedback one way or the other until I received it for review and my son told me he heard it wasn't very good. After watching it I would have to say that his information was accurate. From what I have read the TV series, which is well received, was influenced by Asian art, mythology and various martial arts fighting styles. I think the film conveys that pretty well but otherwise there is little plot/character development which would have help derive a better connection to the source material. Seeing as this is the first in a planned trilogy I couldn't understand the lack of deeper thematic emphasis. Based on the dialogue, the shallow nature of the script, and surface level characters I couldn't escape the feeling that the film is geared toward young audiences. The level of action is fair (although repetitive) and the special effects prove engaging but the poor attempts at drama/romance only serve to muddy the water. With the exception of Dev Patel I found the young cast members to be mediocre at best. I realize that the campy dialogue didn't help but I found the wooden/lifeless performances by Noah Ringer (in the title role), Nicola Peltz, and Jackson Rathbone to be a distraction. The ending is clearly set up for a sequel although I would hope that Paramount will rethink things and start with a new director and better script. M. Night Shyalaman has struggled to reclaim the success of his early works and unfortunately The Last Airbender serves as another failed attempt. I don't think the film is a total loss as it might appeal to young viewers especially if they only have a cursory knowledge of the source material. Those looking for an engaging film experience should look elsewhere.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for fantasy action violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 90

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

The Last Airbender comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.2 Mbps.

This is a great looking high definition video presentation that boasts vivid primary colors and strong depth and dimension. Images are sharp, delineated and revealing of subtle textural detail that enhances the perception of minutia within clothing, physical features and objects onscreen. Blacks are rich with deep highlights that when coupled with the boldly applied contrast provides plenty of pop to both light and dark sequences. Detail in shadowy backgrounds and uneven lighting is excellent which enhances depth of field during low level sequences. Fidelity never wavers in this pristinely rendered high def encoding from Paramount.

I thoroughly enjoyed this very involving DTS-HD Master Audio surround mix that delivers an enriching home theater experience. Integration of the front and rear soundstages is seamless as discretely placed sounds follow a deliberate and realistic path as dictated by the events onscreen. This is an active sound design that incorporates a vast number of sound effects that are intricately mixed to engage the listening position. Bass is robust and can sometimes be substantive in depth but never rises inappropriately in prominence within the soundfield. The delicate blend of James Newton Howard's music, discrete/spatial ambience, crystalline dialogue and invigorating dynamics is supremely enriching as it weaves an aurally stimulating pattern across the surround platform. I wasn't impressed with the film itself but there is no question that it looks and sounds great on Blu-ray.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Discovering The Last Bender (9 featurettes totaling 58 minutes):

1. Inspirations
    2. Spirituality
    3. Heroes
    4. Greenland
    5. World
    6. Action
    7. Effects
    8. Music
    9. Finale

• (HD) Siege of the North - 18 minute featurette

• (HD) Origins of the Avatar - 7 minute featurette

• (HD) Katara for a day - 5 minute feature

• (HD) 4 deleted scenes

• (HD) Gag reel - 4 minutes

• (HD) Avatar Annotations - PiP feature that includes brief interview clips and behind the scenes footage from select scenes during the film

• Bonus DVD of The Last Airbender (which includes a Digital Copy for those who want to take it on the go)

Final Thoughts:

Based on the first season of the popular animated television series Avatar: The Last Airbender, The Last Airbender is an action/adventure film with good potential that goes unrealized thanks to a poorly conceived script, uninspired direction, and mediocre cast performances. Its debut on Blu-ray Disc from Paramount Home Entertainment boasts terrific audio/video quality and a solid set of supplemental features that include a bonus DVD and Digital Copy. While I can't recommend this as a blind purchase it might be a worthwhile rental if you have young viewers who find the source material interesting.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2010, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Loved the TV series, this movie was a travesty.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 255
I thought that nearly all actor performances were cringe-worthy, even the adults. Even with a better screen-play this would have been an issue.

Early reports on the 3D version are pretty critical too, so it seems the attempt to use 3D to make it a better experience have failed.

I think the FX were the only thing that allowed me to stick this one out, definitely not a buy, glad I rented it. I even threw away the $5 coupon I had.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hadn't seen the TV series before the movie. I thought the movie was pretty good, probably 7/10. You're right that this is the first season of the cartoon. Personally, I lost interest in the cartoon after 3 episodes. The pacing was just way too slow.

I thought the water effects from the movie were outstanding. I agree with the poster above that the movie would have been 9/10 with better actors (tough to get with children) and losing Shymalan (over-rated writer/director, imo).
Old 11-18-2010, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Wow - this movie was painful sit through and my wife was shocked at the end to see it was written and directed by Shyamalan. Hopefully this is truly the LAST Airbender.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Old 11-18-2010, 11:50 AM

The film was a travesty... it gave me sour taste in my mouth just as Dragon Ball Evolution did. Borrowed my nephew's cartoon series and enjoy it so much more (in the middle of season 3 already). The BD audio and visuals were great (it had better be right? it's Bluray afterall). That was about it.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Truly is a great tv show. How you can mess up the movie this bad is beyond me. The child actors were horrible. Conveyed nothing of the spirit in the tv characters. The audio is spectacular though. Another missed opportunity.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Old 11-18-2010, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
That series deserves so much better than this. It is a travesty.

PSN: GeminiEffect
Old 11-18-2010, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 97
It got 6% on rottentomatos!
Old 11-18-2010, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I think the FX were the only thing that allowed me to stick this one out, definitely not a buy, glad I rented it.

Even the FX had issues...most notably Appa. He looked awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

Personally, I lost interest in the cartoon after 3 episodes. The pacing was just way too slow.

I was underwhelmed after I watched the first few episodes of the series as well, especially since it was hyped up as much as it was (it won a damn Peabody), but it gets much better. It's now one of my favorite animated series of all time. It also helps that the animation was simply gorgeous at times, especially in the series finale.

This movie was atrocious. Everything about it was awful. The acting, writing, dialogue, direction, pacing...everything. Even without making the comparison to the tv series, it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen. And then if you do make the comparison, this movie takes away all of the charm and spirituality that the series offered, and leaves us with an uninteresting, horribly-plotted mess. I think 1/5 is generous.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

It got 6% on rottentomatos!

erkq - this has some killer bass in it. The final water scene has at least a minute straight of serious pressurization

Old 11-18-2010, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

erkq - this has some killer bass in it. The final water scene has at least a minute straight of serious pressurization

I've got an 8 woofer IB with 15" woofers that have 1.5" of travel (AE IB15's) with 2400 watts behind them. Maybe I should try that!
Old 11-18-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I thought that nearly all actor performances were cringe-worthy, even the adults.

[deleted text]

I think the FX were the only thing that allowed me to stick this one out,

Indeed, the CGI dragon was the only tolerable character in this movie. Unfortunately, the rest of the acting was so terrible that even the dragon's career has probably been tanked.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queequeg99 View Post

Indeed, the CGI dragon was the only tolerable character in this movie. Unfortunately, the rest of the acting was so terrible that even the dragon's career has probably been tanked.

LMAO. Now that I think about it, you might be right about the dragon being the best actor in the movie.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

This is the kind of movie you put on the TV and then go about doing your work/chores while occasionally looking up during a special f/x sequence. Totally forgettable.

Edit: There was a dragon in the movie?
Old 11-18-2010, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

In the spirit world. That's what he was talking to/with.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alougher View Post
This is the kind of movie you put on the TV and then go about doing your work/chores while occasionally looking up during a special f/x sequence. Totally forgettable.
I'd rather have quiet.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
after reading most comments here i decided to watch this movie was pleasantly surprised and actually enjoyed it ,it certainly is not for most viewers i just had to see what the fuss was all about , i at no point wanted to stop it
Old 11-19-2010, 06:35 PM

Liked: 17
If you haven't seen the series (which is EXCELLENT and highly recommended) then you'll probably like the movie despite its shortcomings.

If you HAVE seen the series, you won't be able to stomach the live-action adaptation. It's truly horrendous.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:45 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjoboh View Post

after reading most comments here i decided to watch this movie was pleasantly surprised and actually enjoyed it ,it certainly is not for most viewers i just had to see what the fuss was all about , i at no point wanted to stop it

Looking forward to recieve my copy on Monday.

Frank
Old 11-20-2010, 12:58 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by saiga6360 View Post

Loved the TV series, this movie was a travesty.

That's an understatement! LOL

I got this BRD from Netflix for my kids and I usually like this kind of show at least on some level but this one was excruciating to watch. There's some really bad child actors out there. It felt like the show was 5 hours long.

Panasonic P65ZT60 display, Marantz SR7008 AV receiver, Paradigm Studio CC-490 v.5 center, Studio 60 v.5 fronts, Studio 20 v.5 rear/surround, Polk Audio OWM3 high and wides, HSU ULS-15 Dual Drive, Oppo BDP-103, DirecTV HR24 Receiver w/1TB drive, XBox 360, Logitech Harmony One
Old 11-20-2010, 06:03 PM

Now if only the movie were as good as it's audio/video on Blu Ray. Thanks for the review!
Old 11-20-2010, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 43
must say your review of the film is dead wrong, enjoyed it very much and i am waiting for the sequel. perhaps your not the demographic for this king of film.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:24 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by dargo View Post

must say your review of the film is dead wrong, enjoyed it very much and i am waiting for the sequel. perhaps your not the demographic for this king of film.

Different opinion from others. Nice change

Frank
Old 11-20-2010, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:

I'm going to watch it soon, but just wanted to let you know that this film was pretty much universally panned. I don't think it matters much whether Ralph fell within the target demographic.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:08 AM

Seen it in London at the Empire in 3D on it's first run in August. Was very disappointed with the whole film. A waste of money. At the end of the film all the people present felt the same as there were a lot of whistling and f words.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Quote:

Greetings,

Since opinions are subjective it's pretty hard to be so definitive about a perspective that differs from your own. I am glad to hear that you liked this film and I am sure that you're not alone in that regard however I stand by my take on it.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Old 11-21-2010, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Just watched on Netflix. One of the worst movies I've seen in years. Acting and writing is beyond terrible. After watching it for a while I started to feel like M. Night was playing a joke on me.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:00 PM
CIH USER

Finally got my copy looking forward to watching this. I'm going in with very low expectations.

Frank
Old 11-22-2010, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Finally got my copy looking forward to watching this. I'm going in with very low expectations.
Hope you like it. We finally watched the whole thing Saturday night. Just the family. The kids got bored half way through. I ended up enjoying it. The acting is horrible and they really messed up the spirit of the characters, compared to the tv show. But it surprised me that I ended up enjoying it. I bought into it just enough to appreciate the absolutely fantastic AV. This might be the best audio and video track I have had in the theater this year.

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , The Last Airbender Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo