Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 11-24-2010, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 122
attachment.php?attachmentid=192089&d=1290606560
The Review at a Glance: ( max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109942&d=1210373697

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109942&d=1210373697

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Columbia Pictures - 2010
Feature running time: 140 minutes Theatrical Cut / 145 minutes Directors Cut
Genre: Drama / Romance
Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English, French DTS-HD MA 5.1, English Audio Description 5.1 Dolby Digital
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Julia Roberts, James Franco, Richard Jenkins, Viola Davis, Billy Crudup, Javier Bardem
Directed by: Ryan Murphy
Music by: PJ Bloom
Written by: Screenplay by Ryan Murphy & Jennifer Salt, Based on a Book by Elizabeth Gilbert
Region Code: A/B/C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 23, 2010

"Let Yourself Go This August"

Film Synopsis:

Believing there's more to life than a husband, house and career, Liz Gilbert (Julia Roberts) finds herself with a new appetite for life in this inspiring true story, based on the bestselling book. She leaves New York and embarks on a yearlong journey - traveling to Italy, India and Bali - seeking self-discovery through good food, meditation and the prospect of finding true love. Javier Bardem, James Franco and Billy Crudup co-star in this sumptuous and uplifting adventure filled with humor and heart.

My Take:

Whenever we go away and my wife sees a tarot card reader she loves to go in. I laugh and am not into it, and I always tell her that she is in for a mind-trip if they say something spooky or terrible. Liz Gilbert (Julia Roberts) is a writer and while working on a story in Bali, she decides to visit a Medicine Man whom she had heard good things about. He tells her she will have a short marriage, then a long marriage and that she will revisit Bali again. It sets her mind racing and when she gets back home she initiates a divorce from her husband (Billy Crudup). Like I said, if you go in for a reading of some sort, you never know what will be said (true of not) and how you will react to it.

Liz proceeds to meet a younger free spirited actor (James Franco), have a fling and get the crazy notion to take a year off. She decides to go on a trip alone. She visit Italy, India then Bali, just like prophesied by the Medicine Man. So with 2 out of the 3 predictions coming true, what do you think will happen on her journey?? Should I spoil it or is it already obvious? The answer to that is about as interesting and as this bland soul searching adventure gets.

Julia Roberts is perfectly Julia Roberts here, but at times, it feels as if she knows this is a lackluster screenplay as well. The supporting cast hits their marks very well. Billy Crudup, in his small roll really stood out; I loved he song he sings Liz when working on the divorce. In Italy she meets Richard Jenkins who plays Richard from Texas. He steals the movie as always. He has becoming one of my favorite actors (check out The Visitor).

Liz ends up back in Bali with the Medicine Man and meets the Love Portion of the film, the oh-so-dreamy Mr Javier Bardem. I swear, my wife liked this movie only because he was in it. I was bored during this over 2 hour snooze fest, and felt it was just a vehicle to show pretty people in exotic locations. There was no depth to the plot, which should feel deep. India... Bali... soul searching. I should feel some of this spiritual journey, right? For me it was 50 minutes too long. I hear the book was fantastic, stick with that.

Parental Guide:

Rated PG-13 on appeal for brief strong language, some sexual references and male rear nudity

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 84

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373694

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373698

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373697

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

Video: 80

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373697

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373698

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373698

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=121037369
attachment.php?attachmentid=192092&d=1290606847Eat Pray Love comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 26.8 mbps and DTS-HD MA 5.1 Surround Sound that has an average bitrate of 2.9 mbps.

Eat Pray Love's video had a stylistic decision to look a bit over-saturated color and blow out contrast-wise. The results are a mixed bag, but Sony's transfer does the source justice. Warm and a bit soft are the best way to describe what I saw. Certain scenes finer details really do pop out when lighting and color palette are not effecting the image too much, but when the films full stylization is in effect, details take a slight back-seat. Over all it is a good presentation, its just not filmed in a way that takes advantage of the sharpness and details Blu-ray can render. The DTS-HD MA soundtrack it more competent, featuring a front-heavy, clear and articulate sound-scape. Surrounds channels are used right on the money, filling the room with natural ambiance and background noise from each completely different location. Not a movie with much use for heavy bass, however, when the films music kicks in, we get a treat to a well rounded and dynamic mix. This is a Blu-ray not to be considered for knock-out quality, though its not bad at all.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Ryan Murphy's Journey with 'Eat Pray Love'

• (HD) The Beginning of the Journey

• (HD) Praying in India

• (HD) Finding Balance

• (HD) Eddie Vedder - Better Days Music Video

• (HD) Trailers: The Other Guys, Easy A, Salt, Mother and Child, Welcome to the Rileys, Tamara Drewe, and Grown Ups

• BD Live enabled

• movie IQ
attachment.php?attachmentid=192091&d=1290606571

Final Thoughts:

Eat Pray Love. More like Coffee Sleep Hate for me. OK hate is a strong word but I would have quit an hour into it if I wasn't reviewing the film. I did like the beginning act as well as the Italy segment, unfortunately it just got strung on too long, wearing any charm that was there way too thin. The new age bent with the guru's and Medicine man etc. never felt authentic and Julia Roberts Liz was a boring character with a less then engaging story-arch. Chop out a half hour, sprinkle a little more humor and I bet this would have become a 3 star movie instead of 2. The Blu-ray is a clean rendering of what the source looked like, but that source is not too thrilling of a technical presentation. If you want to see this movie I suggest a rental. Well actually I suggest not bothering.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157497&d=1257542613

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS35 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Custom 1.3 Gain 128" 2.37:1 CinemaScope Screen
Pioneer SC27 Receiver (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Pioneer Elite BDP-23FD Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Triangle Zerius Speakers (7.1)
SVS PC13-Ultra Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-25-2010, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I was in BB yesterday.. I picked it up and immediatly put it down...
Julia is certainly a pretty woman..but her flicks of late just do nothing for me.

Hey Lee...the good stuff is on the horizon.... you won't have to wear the brown bag with 1 hole for breathing while watching some of these turds.

Surprised no Expendables review...I bought it anyway, just need to watch it along with others I haven't watched yet.
post #3 of 16 Old 11-25-2010, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
This film surely is intended for the Harlequin romance reading crowd.

Dump the hubby, travel to exotic locales, meet a tall, dark stranger (Fabio perhaps)...and the really pathetic part is that it's all based on the true life exploits of this very unhappy woman.

Pass.
post #4 of 16 Old 11-25-2010, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 659
My wife rented this last night on DVD. I played video games in the other room while she watched

I warned her before renting that the reviews were bad and to not get her hopes up. Anyways, she loved it. Her new favourite I can't believe it. So now she wants to own it and make me watch it. She wants it on Blu ray too... Well... At least I bought Expendables to balance it out
post #5 of 16 Old 11-26-2010, 11:45 AM

Liked: 10
This was the choice of a couples night out and I got to watch it in the theater. I felt like I wanted to claw my eyes out
post #6 of 16 Old 11-26-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

My wife rented this last night on DVD. I played video games in the other room while she watched

I warned her before renting that the reviews were bad and to not get her hopes up. Anyways, she loved it. Her new favourite I can't believe it. So now she wants to own it and make me watch it. She wants it on Blu ray too... Well... At least I bought Expendables to balance it out

Yet more proof that 95% of females have absolutely horrible taste in movies

post #7 of 16 Old 11-29-2010, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought certain parts of this movie were great. Majority was the scenery were it was shot. The rest were ok. I heard the ending on this was different than the book itself?

Cheers
post #8 of 16 Old 11-30-2010, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post

Dump the hubby, travel to exotic locales, meet a tall, dark stranger (Fabio perhaps)...and the really pathetic part is that it's all based on the true life exploits of this very unhappy woman.

Pass.

I haven't seen the film, but all the reviews I've read say the same thing as you did. It seems her only 'love' was love of herself. What kind of positive message is that supposed to send? It's okay to use people, and discard them when you get bored?

Art
post #9 of 16 Old 12-01-2010, 02:58 PM

The Ms. rented this and I had to do something else after the first few min. I'd prefer the male centric parody: Drink, Play, F@#k: One Man's Search for Anything Across Ireland, Las Vegas, and Thailand by Andrew Gottlieb.
post #10 of 16 Old 12-03-2010, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Rented this one last night for the wife's entertainment. Definitely a woman centric movie.

I did make it through it and found that I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, after reading these reviews.

I'd give the video score a bit of a bump over the review. It appeared to me that some of the softness in the picture was intended to hide the fact that Julia Roberts is no longer the young actress we remember from Pretty Woman.

The colors did pop and there seemed to be plenty of detail in some of the scenery shots, which were plenty.

I thought that this was Julia Roberts' best effort in years.
post #11 of 16 Old 12-15-2010, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I agree Lee. I would recommend staying away from this one.

This is the first film in a LONG time that I walked away from before the ending. (I asked my wife how it ended later, who thought the movie was just o.k.) The whole moral of this story was appalling to me. I’m not sure why it bothered me so much, but it struck a chord.

So a woman walks away from her marriage because she is not happy, even though her husband is still in love with her. She treats herself to exotic locations, food, and lovers.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
…and in the end finds her perfect man. Her ex husband finds someone too… so I guess everything turns out so touchingly lovely
WTF? Is this supposed to be a model for other women (or men) to follow? What was the point? This is a story of abandonment and selfishness, candy coated into a story of personal redemption. In the end they try to make everything seem o.k., as if the end justifies the means. Yuck.

You know what men are called who do this? Dead beats, cheaters, egomaniacs….

Like others have said, to make it worse, it is based on a true story!

O.k., I’ve said my 4 cents worth. I feel better now.

The picture quality was o.k., but soft (intentionally). Skin tones were very nice. The locations were beautifully filmed. Sounds was fine. Dialogue was clear, but very few dynamics as to be expected.

PQ: 3.5 out of 5, SQ: 3 out of 5, Film 1 out of 5

Dan
post #12 of 16 Old 01-08-2011, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomandan View Post

I agree Lee. I would recommend staying away from this one.

This is the first film in a LONG time that I walked away from before the ending. (I asked my wife how it ended later, who thought the movie was just o.k.) The whole moral of this story was appalling to me. I'm not sure why it bothered me so much, but it struck a chord.

So a woman walks away from her marriage because she is not happy, even though her husband is still in love with her. She treats herself to exotic locations, food, and lovers.
Spoiler  
and in the end finds her perfect man. Her ex husband finds someone too so I guess everything turns out so touchingly lovely
WTF? Is this supposed to be a model for other women (or men) to follow? What was the point? This is a story of abandonment and selfishness, candy coated into a story of personal redemption. In the end they try to make everything seem o.k., as if the end justifies the means. Yuck.

You know what men are called who do this? Dead beats, cheaters, egomaniacs.

Like others have said, to make it worse, it is based on a true story!

O.k., I've said my 4 cents worth. I feel better now.

The picture quality was o.k., but soft (intentionally). Skin tones were very nice. The locations were beautifully filmed. Sounds was fine. Dialogue was clear, but very few dynamics as to be expected.

PQ: 3.5 out of 5, SQ: 3 out of 5, Film 1 out of 5

Dan

I agree with what you said on the spoiler stuff. I thought this was going to be a great movie and it turned out to be such meaningless crap. I hated it. Total crap. Just a stupid loop from beginning to end. I mean what the reason for the first.............nevermind. It was just stupid.
post #13 of 16 Old 01-18-2011, 07:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Like so many others here, I detested Eat Pray LOve. Even the talent and charm of the beautiful and talented Julia Roberts couldn't rescue this mess. Although I thought the PQ and AQ were adequate, dramatically the movie could have hardly been worse. The woman who wrote the silly book upon which this silly film is based strikes me as a shallow, self-involved doofus, who seems to base her life on the self-help cliche of the week.

I decided to rent this movie at BB yesterday only because my daughter, who also admires Roberts' skills, said she had liked it. Based on that and the film's impressive supporting cast, I decided to give it a shot. That was a big mistake. What was Roberts thinking? Stay far, far away from Eat Pray love. I give it 4 Stars out of 10 and that's probably generous.
post #14 of 16 Old 01-19-2011, 08:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Shame on Ms Roberts for taking on this role and more shame on her agent for even suggesting it ..

The Pretty Woman is not going into middle age actorland gracefully ..

The section filmed in Rome was great scenery wise and the soundtrack was good ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #15 of 16 Old 01-19-2011, 09:04 AM

Liked: 12
I might have choosen a "red door" instead, but that's me for ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weber View Post

post #16 of 16 Old 01-21-2011, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 659
My wife got around to making me watch this. Very bad!

Movie - 1/5
Video - 2.25/5
Audio - 3/5

I couldn't believe the ending. Some wacko tells her she's allowed to love, so she goes after her last boyfriend. O_o
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Eat Pray Love Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Eat by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page