Studio and Year: Warner - 2010
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 90 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-25
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Madeline Carroll, Callan McAuliffe, John Mahoney, Anthony Edwards, Rebecca De Mornay, Aidan Quinn, Penelope Ann Miller
Directed by: Rob Reiner
Music by: Marc Shaiman
Written by: Rob Reiner & Andrew Scheinman based on the novel by Wendelin Van Draanen
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 23, 2010

"You never forget your first love"

Film Synopsis:

When second-graders Bryce and Juli first meet, Juli knows it's love. Bryce isn't so sure. In the days and years ahead, Bryce (Callan McAuliffe) does all he can to keep his wannabe girlfriend at arm's length - and the smart, independent-minded Juli (Madeline Carroll) continues to give him the benefit of the doubt. This tender coming-of-age romantic comedy from director Rob Reiner takes the pair from grade school to junior high, through triumph and disaster, family drama and first love, as they make discoveries that will define who they are - and who they are to each other.

My Take:

I hadn't heard of Flipped until I saw it in a press announcement from Warner. It looked like a wholesome family film with potential and when I saw that it was directed by Rob Reiner I was all in. Based on the novel of the same name by Wendelin Van Draanen, Flipped tells the story of Juli Baker and Bryce Loski two preteens that have lived across the street from one another since the second grade. Juli has been smitten with Bryce since first laying eyes on him. Bryce hasn't shared those feelings and over the years has found her to be quite annoying. Juli is unlike the other girls at school. She is a bit on the eccentric side and is remarkably candid for someone her age. She seems unaffected by the world around her with the exception of two things, Bryce Loski and a large sycamore tree she has taken to climbing to the top of to admire the beautiful view. Bryce is a fairly typical kid in that he is slow on the uptake and is easily influenced by those around him, which essentially makes him the polar opposite of Juli. Once they hit the eighth grade Juli begins to sense that with Bryce there is little beneath the surface. He regularly exhibits an insensitive side where she is concerned, something he may have learned from his father, which leads her to the conclusion that she is probably better off not knowing him. Bryce who has spent years avoiding her has suddenly come to feel that the sun rises and sets on Juli Baker. Winning her over again will take a sincere and well placed act of adoration to show her how he really feels.

This is a heartwarming film that is set in the early 1960's, a time when the youth of the day weren't affected by the technological advances/distractions of this generation. I like how director Rob Reiner tells the story from both Juli and Bryce's perspective with them narrating each. It touches not only upon the inherent problems of adolescent interaction but the sometimes complex familial dynamics that not only affect young people but shape them. There are aspects of the story that most of us can relate to and it's genuinely conveyed without being melodramatic or preachy. Not all of its elements are completely fleshed out but that doesn't adversely affect the outcome. Madeline Carroll (loved her in Swing Vote) and Callan McAuliffe are really quite good as the leads. The remaining members of the cast are comprised of a cache of seasoned actors most of whom lend credibility to their respective roles. I found John Mahoney to be typically charming as Bryce's widowed grandfather Chet. Conversely Anthony Edward is less than convincing as Bryce's embittered and judgmental father Steven. Flipped is exactly what I envisioned it to be, a delightful coming of age film with an endearing and timeless appeal that can be enjoyed by the whole family.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for brief language and thematic material.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 78

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 82

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Flipped comes to Blu-ray from Warner Home Video featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 19 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 channel Master Audio that has an average bitrate of 3.3 Mbps.

A variety of visuals are effectively used in this film to help set the tone/setting based upon the director's vision. Colors can vary from being sullen and inanimate to vivid with warm vitality. Skin tones are lifelike with natural tonality and descriptive variation but this can also be scene dependent. Images onscreen are primarily detailed and sharp especially during close up and mid level pans. There are occasions where sharpness wavers, particularly during long rage camera shots, however it appears to be innate to the photography. White and black levels strike a pleasing balance while discerning shadow delineation provides excellent perceptibility during scenes shot at night or in lower lighting. I found this to be a satisfying yet unremarkable high definition presentation that seemed a good match for the source material.

The lossless DTS-HD MA soundtrack readily handled the elements contained in the recording. The presentation retained a front loaded perspective with well defined and clearly articulated dialogue that extended well into the room. Sounds were reproduced with discerning clarity and delineation that brought forth plenty of subtle nuance and low level detail. Surround activity was limited to rear channel ambience and spatial cues that minimally broadened the soundstage. I was satisfied with the implementation of this audio mix especially in light of the dialogue driven nature of the soundtrack.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) The difference between a boy and a girl featurette - 6 minutes

• (HD) Embarrassing egg-scuses - Madeline Carroll plays mother hen in teaching the finer points of raising chickens and Hatching an egg - 5 minute featurette

• (HD) Flipped: Anatomy of a near kiss - 3 minute behind the scenes featurette

• (HD) How to make the best volcano - Callan McAuliffe gives tips on the art of volcano making - 5 minutes

• Bonus DVD/Digital Copy combo disc
attachment.php?attachmentid=193004&d=1291315265

Final Thoughts:

Based on the novel of the same name by Wendelin Van Draanen Flipped is a delightful coming of age film with an endearing and timeless appeal that can be enjoyed by the whole family. It makes its debut on Blu-ray from Warner Home Video featuring satisfying high definition audio/video quality and a middling array of bonus supplements that don't offer much on the film's production but appear geared more toward younger viewers. A DVD/Digital Copy combo disc is included for those who want to take the movie on the go. This is an enjoyable and well executed film that is easily worth the cost of a rental. If you're already a fan feel free to pick it up.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-02-2010, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I really enjoyed this one as well Ralph. Great family film.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #3 of 10 Old 12-02-2010, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

I really enjoyed this one as well Ralph. Great family film.

I concur! I love the oldies and classic music that were used in this movie. This really is a great film for the whole family to be enjoyed. Collect!

Cheers
post #4 of 10 Old 12-03-2010, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I may blind buy based on your good family recommendation.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-03-2010, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post

I may blind buy based on your good family recommendation.

Greetings,

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #6 of 10 Old 12-03-2010, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Ralph... thanks (once again) for the kind words about the mix... it was a lot of fun to do. …
post #7 of 10 Old 12-03-2010, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Ralph... thanks (once again) for the kind words about the mix... it was a lot of fun to do.

Greetings,

My pleasure (once again ) Marc..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #8 of 10 Old 12-21-2010, 07:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Finally got a copy of this from Netflix, a stripped down rental disc with forced trailers.

Anyway it was fun to watch, it's at least worth a rent.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-06-2011, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Also watched this from Netflix--would have enjoyed some behind the scenes content. I really enjoyed this movie--interesting back-and-forth story-line between the two main characters. A great story told very well.

Bob

post #10 of 10 Old 02-11-2011, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just got around to watching this one. The review was spot on - and I thought this one was very enjoyable. Reminded me of the TV show the Wonder Years.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Flipped Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Flipped by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page