post #91 of 228 Old 12-07-2010, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon Malik View Post

Thanks as always for the review Ralph! I enjoyed Inception a lot. Everything about the movie was fantastic IMO. But, to really enjoy this movie you have to watch it in peace with no kids creating a distraction IMO.

I put the digital copy on my itouch in order to watch it on a business trip this week.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 228 Old 12-07-2010, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Stunning, auditory nirvana, well paced, I'll take it over "Avatar" any day of the week .. DiCaprio delivers ..

Ralph, great review .. hope this makes up for my less than enthusiastic post to your review of "Going the Distance"

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #93 of 228 Old 12-07-2010, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
woo!,finally a review for this movie!. I just hope my hsu vtf-1 can handle the lfe peaks,thanks for the warning on that ralph!
post #94 of 228 Old 12-07-2010, 09:40 AM

Liked: 10
Definitely one of the best movies of the year.

So did the spinning top fall?

BMW: Happiness is the next curve.
post #95 of 228 Old 12-07-2010, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Timed the loop?? No. Lord of the Rings. No story?

If you find it bothersome don't watch the film. Dave is right to try and lighten the mood. I sometimes grow weary of those who feel the need to negatively focus on one aspect of a body of work in order to convince everyone that their opinion is the correct one. You made your point now lets move on.
Regards,

Quote:

Greetings,

FendersRule and iontyre, there is a film discussion forum here on the site for those who wish to debate the merits or lack thereof etc. of movies. While I welcome light discussion on the films in my review threads I want to avoid back and forth debates which is where this is headed. Please refrain from continung this and move it to the other forum or PMs.

Regards,

As much as I enjoy your reviews, you seem overly defensive about this movie and a bit testy to anyone who doesn't share your opinions. This movie seems to be polarizing on many levels and isn't that what forums are all about; the give and take of opinions?

I think that your review should stand on its own and let the chips fall where they may.
post #96 of 228 Old 12-07-2010, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post

As much as I enjoy your reviews, you seem overly defensive about this movie and a bit testy to anyone who doesn't share your opinions. This movie seems to be polarizing on many levels and isn't that what forums are all about; the give and take of opinions?

I think that your review should stand on its own and let the chips fall where they may.

Greetings,

Hey Patrick, the problem isn't so much about being overly defensive. This review is no different than any other. The problem isn't even about opinions that differ from my own (which doesn't bother me). The issue here has been the insistance from several posters in this thread that their opinions are not only correct but have lead to attacks on other posters.

Those quotes you list above have been taken out of context and were in direct reponse to what I am referring to.

I am in full agreement that my reviews should stand on their own and in most cases I adhere to that.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #97 of 228 Old 12-07-2010, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon Malik View Post

Thanks as always for the review Ralph! I enjoyed Inception a lot. Everything about the movie was fantastic IMO. But, to really enjoy this movie you have to watch it in peace with no kids creating a distraction IMO.

Yeah it's a "Must Pay Attention" Movie for sure !

Mike

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #98 of 228 Old 12-07-2010, 05:06 PM

I am way excited to see this movie, my BD will be here tomorrow.
post #99 of 228 Old 12-07-2010, 07:56 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:

Greetings,

Todd, the 5.1 soundtrack is Hans Zimmer's music orchestrated score in DTS-HD MA. It sounds amazing...

Regards,

Thanks. VERY excited to hear this...........I could get into these type of extras

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #100 of 228 Old 12-07-2010, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Thanks for the review here as well, Ralph. I am awaiting my pre-order copy from Amazon. Should have it tomorrow!

Also, just figured I'd mention that someone posted LFE waterfall plots and they correspond very well with your assessment of that area. Looking forward to it!
post #101 of 228 Old 12-07-2010, 11:09 PM

The audio is absolutely incredible on this disc. Definitely some of the best surround sound for home video I've ever heard.

"I was right in the middle of a freaking reptile zoo. And somebody was giving booze to these darn things! It won't be long before they tear us to shreds!"

-- Raoul Duke
post #102 of 228 Old 12-08-2010, 01:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan_little View Post

Heart attack music? Yeah, it was mixed loud (rare for music in a film these days) but I don't remember it going for cheap jumps. In fact in many areas it's part of telling the story. The "kick" synchronization music is integrated into the score:

I posted that very same YouTube video on this thread yesterday, and my post was deleted.
post #103 of 228 Old 12-08-2010, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle View Post

I posted that very same YouTube video on this thread yesterday, and my post was deleted.

Greetings,

I can appreciate the comparative interest but that YouTube video has nothing to do with the discussion at hand. Thanks.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #104 of 228 Old 12-08-2010, 07:02 AM

DiCaprio has a special talent, playing a mentally instable lead character. I saw this last night and it was an interesting movie. I was more moved with Shutter Island, but this one was great nonetheless. I must say that lately anything with DiCaprio in it, the flick will be worth it, even if it's not totally great. Gordon-Levit and Ellen Page are just awesome. My Blu-ray had trouble playing this at times (audio sync problems).
post #105 of 228 Old 12-08-2010, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Watched it for the first time yesterday and it was amazing.
post #106 of 228 Old 12-08-2010, 01:44 PM

Um, when Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character had a couple minutes (that's 2 minutes, folks) and the rest had 20 minutes -- that turned into what looked like at least an hour for Levitt and hours for the rest. Totally screwed the movie up right there for me.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
I kept asking what's taking so dang long for the van to hit the water! He only has 2 minutes! lol

Good movie, but they threw a lot at you to digest from the get go. It's like it was purposely written from the beginning to confuse the heck out of you and if you had questions, you'd keep them to yourself so you could seem intelligent by knowing exactly what's happening. A better explanation of what was happening would have been nice.

3.5/5 Stars for me. Good movie, but a letdown from all of the great things I kept hearing about the film.

I'll give it another watch sometime soon to see how I feel on a second go.
post #107 of 228 Old 12-08-2010, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spewdom View Post

Um, when Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character had a couple minutes (that's 2 minutes, folks) and the rest had 20 minutes -- that turned into what looked like at least an hour for Levitt and hours for the rest. Totally screwed the movie up right there for me.
Spoiler  
I kept asking what's taking so dang long for the van to hit the water! He only has 2 minutes! lol

Good movie, but they threw a lot at you to digest from the get go. It's like it was purposely written from the beginning to confuse the heck out of you and if you had questions, you'd keep them to yourself so you could seem intelligent by knowing exactly what's happening. A better explanation of what was happening would have been nice.

3.5/5 Stars for me. Good movie, but a letdown from all of the great things I kept hearing about the film.

I'll give it another watch sometime soon to see how I feel on a second go.

Spoiler  

Well the van had 2 minutes, the next one (hotel) had 20 minutes, and the next one (mountains) had 200 minutes, if I'm remembering the "rules" correctly. It doesn't matter anyway, since the top keeps spinning at the end :P
post #108 of 228 Old 12-08-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

Spoiler  

Well the van had 2 minutes, the next one (hotel) had 20 minutes, and the next one (mountains) had 200 minutes, if I'm remembering the "rules" correctly. It doesn't matter anyway, since the top keeps spinning at the end :P

Spoiler  
I thought Leo said Levitt had a couple minutes which gave them 20 minutes. Edit: Just checked. "Arthur has a couple minutes, we have about 20."
post #109 of 228 Old 12-08-2010, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

I wouldn't have minded an extra seven minutes in this movie with the characters talking about dream psychology and the like, or anything about lucid dreaming, being able to control yourself, etc. It would have been kind of cool and more "through-provoking."

Actually, if it did that, it would be completely wrong. Go look up lucid dreaming on google and you'll see.

I found the dream mechanics of this movie insipid and silly. Thank goodness they didn't try to "explain" it any further - I would have walked out of the theater if they did.

The action in the movie was okay.

EDIT: Btw Ralph, your review uses more flowery language than usual - an entertaining read!
post #110 of 228 Old 12-08-2010, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxleung View Post

EDIT: Btw Ralph, your review uses more flowery language than usual - an entertaining read!

Greetings,

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #111 of 228 Old 12-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxleung View Post

Actually, if it did that, it would be completely wrong. Go look up lucid dreaming on google and you'll see.

The only part of the movie that comes anywhere near lucid dreaming was the scene where Ariadne starts folding up the city blocks of Paris on top of each other; she's acting like a lucid dreamer there. That was an ability which never appeared again the movie, though.

(Although it was briefly implied when Eames says to Arthur, "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling," and whips out a grenade launcher. That line suggests that Eames was able to conjure up the grenade launcher simply by wishing it.)
post #112 of 228 Old 12-08-2010, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Oh, by lucid dreaming I meant "the awareness that you are in a dream state," not necessarily that plus the ability to control what your dream does (which, as you pointed out, is something Ariadne tested the waters on).
post #113 of 228 Old 12-08-2010, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have to agree with Ralph on this one. Just watched it today for the first time(rarely get the chance to go to the theatre). One of the best films of the year. Great suspense, stunning visuals and a fantastic soundtrack. Can't ask for more!
post #114 of 228 Old 12-08-2010, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloggs13 View Post

I have to agree with Ralph on this one. Just watched it today for the first time(rarely get the chance to go to the theatre). One of the best films of the year. Great suspense, stunning visuals and a fantastic soundtrack. Can't ask for more!

Greetings,

Glad that you enjoyed it!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #115 of 228 Old 12-08-2010, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle View Post

The only part of the movie that comes anywhere near lucid dreaming was the scene where Ariadne starts folding up the city blocks of Paris on top of each other; she's acting like a lucid dreamer there. That was an ability which never appeared again the movie, though.

(Although it was briefly implied when Eames says to Arthur, "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling," and whips out a grenade launcher. That line suggests that Eames was able to conjure up the grenade launcher simply by wishing it.)

Lucid dreaming was also in the beginning, when the Japanese guy felt the carpet.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #116 of 228 Old 12-09-2010, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

Spoiler  

Spoiler  

It looked like the top started to wobble as soon as they cut the scene.
post #117 of 228 Old 12-09-2010, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

Spoiler  

It looked like the top started to wobble as soon as they cut the scene.

I agree. Also, when watching the movie a second time, pay special attention to DiCaprio's .

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #118 of 228 Old 12-09-2010, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spewdom View Post

And this folks, is why you can't please everyone. The biggest complaint was too much explaining, and now someone says that there wasn't enough.

In my view it was just right. I had no problem following the film, and enjoyed it thoroughly. It was simple and complex at the same time.

Art
post #119 of 228 Old 12-09-2010, 01:33 PM

I watched Inception last night for the first time, and I am going to describe what I saw with a word that is not in my vocabulary most of the time......Brilliant! That is the only word I can think of to help describe this movie. And I am going to watch it again tonight as I did not get it all in one viewing.
post #120 of 228 Old 12-09-2010, 04:47 PM

I got a quick one: Is the digital copy on the SD DVD disc or Special Features disc? thanks
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Inception Two Disc Edition Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies
Gear in this thread - Inception by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page