Inception (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 228 Old 12-18-2010, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Fastslappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: La CasaSlappy @ SlappyVille,SF NorthBay,CALI
Posts: 6,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebesthereis View Post

If you REALLY want to know the films TRUE ending:



PLEASE don't be upset with me.

Thanx ! But I knew it all along

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Fastslappy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 228 Old 12-23-2010, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
stereomandan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,316
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Top notch review Ralph. Not much more to add to this one that hasn't already been said. Totally engrossing. WE LOVED IT.

DiCaprio is now solidly one of my favorite actors, perhaps THE favorite. This, along with Shutter Island, have been incredible acting performances, not to mention awesome films.

PQ: 4.5 out of 5, SQ: 5 out of 5, Film 5 out of 5

Dan
stereomandan is offline  
post #183 of 228 Old 12-23-2010, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TheFactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great Northwest
Posts: 4,058
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Finally made it down to pick it up and should be watching it this weekend, cant wait !!!
TheFactor is offline  
post #184 of 228 Old 12-24-2010, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 9,329
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomandan View Post
Top notch review Ralph. Not much more to add to this one that hasn't already been said. Totally engrossing. WE LOVED IT.

DiCaprio is now solidly one of my favorite actors, perhaps THE favorite. This, along with Shutter Island, have been incredible acting performances, not to mention awesome films.

PQ: 4.5 out of 5, SQ: 5 out of 5, Film 5 out of 5

Dan
Greetings,

Glad to hear you enjoyed this one Dan, thanks.

Merry Christmas!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is offline  
post #185 of 228 Old 12-26-2010, 10:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Rob West's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Up-State NY
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I received the 3 disc set, but the main disc was defective, I returned it for an exchange. They didn't have the 3 disc set, so I accepted the single. I know it's missing about 3 of the extras.
My question was there a Director's commentary?
Rob West is offline  
post #186 of 228 Old 12-26-2010, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TheFactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great Northwest
Posts: 4,058
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Wow what a movie many twists and turns that kept me on the edge of my seat ! Great audio and video Quailty . Thanks for another great review Ralph
TheFactor is offline  
post #187 of 228 Old 12-26-2010, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
stereomandan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,316
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Glad to hear you enjoyed this one Dan, thanks.

Merry Christmas!

Regards,

Right back at ya Ralph. Merry Christmas! (even if it is a day belated.)

Dan
stereomandan is offline  
post #188 of 228 Old 12-27-2010, 06:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Rob West's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Up-State NY
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is there any Inception set with a Directors commentary?

I did some deeper Google research and found the Director Nolan doesn't do commentary's, so I'll be happy with my single disc copy.
Rob West is offline  
post #189 of 228 Old 12-31-2010, 02:48 PM
Senior Member
 
wkingincharge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Maryland Area
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
A very good movie and I look forward to watching it again !!! I thought the video was dark at times but it seems the director is known for this from some of his other work nonetheless it was very good. Audio quality was not in your face like some other blockbusters that I have watched recently but matched the films pace.Finally as far as LFE content goes its there when it needs to be as we felt notes that reached 20Hz a few times pulsing in our ears.
wkingincharge is online now  
post #190 of 228 Old 01-02-2011, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
RickD1225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 744
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

I couldn't agree more.................
LFE was great @ my house ! certain parts were a feeling more than a sound & I thought that was awesome as it help tell the story ,added tension & fleshed out the scene

+1, we watched this last evening and it really gave my system, heck the whole house, a great workout.

RickD1225 is offline  
post #191 of 228 Old 01-05-2011, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Deja Vu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: great white north
Posts: 4,504
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 167
This movie actually ended up on a reviewer's list as her no. 2 worst movie for 2010! It left me a little confused since I pretty much agreed with all the other stinkers she singled out. She called it "pretentious". I personally loved it.
Deja Vu is offline  
post #192 of 228 Old 01-05-2011, 07:28 PM
Senior Member
 
tildawn10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As some have said most folks either love this or hate it. My simple summary: Great movie...great picture...great sound.

My wife came down into the theater room and made me turn off the sub early on since my son was upset that there was a bad "thunderstorm" outside. I had to ride out the buttkickers the rest of the way which still kept things lively. During the short time my HSU was on, there was some VERY low frequency which sounded great IMO.

Ralph thanks for your reviews as always!
tildawn10 is offline  
post #193 of 228 Old 01-06-2011, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 9,329
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by tildawn10 View Post

As some have said most folks either love this or hate it. My simple summary: Great movie...great picture...great sound.

My wife came down into the theater room and made me turn off the sub early on since my son was upset that there was a bad "thunderstorm" outside. I had to ride out the buttkickers the rest of the way which still kept things lively. During the short time my HSU was on, there was some VERY low frequency which sounded great IMO.

Ralph thanks for your reviews as always!

Greetings,

You're more than welcome tildawn10. You'll have to give it another go when you can watch it with the HSU and Buttkickers going..


Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is offline  
post #194 of 228 Old 01-06-2011, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
eaamon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South mid Tn.
Posts: 548
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
great review, thanks. this is one that I'll be adding to my collection.

my HT
eaamon is offline  
post #195 of 228 Old 01-17-2011, 01:03 PM
Senior Member
 
russr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Did anyone get this movie from Netflix? It's a "Rental" edition and has no bonus features.
If you did get it from Netflix, did it play on your PS3?
russr is offline  
post #196 of 228 Old 01-17-2011, 06:03 PM
Senior Member
 
heyyall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ralph, I enjoy your subtle nature in your reviews. I did not fully appreciate your comment that this BD will test your system until I watched it late at night over the weekend. The AQ was simply off the chart. Absolutely incredible. Thanks again for the great review.
heyyall is offline  
post #197 of 228 Old 01-17-2011, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 9,329
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyall View Post

Ralph, I enjoy your subtle nature in your reviews. I did not fully appreciate your comment that this BD will test your system until I watched it late at night over the weekend. The AQ was simply off the chart. Absolutely incredible. Thanks again for the great review.

Greetings,

You're more than welcome. Glad you enjoyed it heyyall..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is offline  
post #198 of 228 Old 01-23-2011, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JackB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Pauma Valley, CA USA
Posts: 1,809
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by russr View Post

Did anyone get this movie from Netflix? It's a "Rental" edition and has no bonus features.
If you did get it from Netflix, did it play on your PS3?

We rented it too. No special features. Disappointing. BTW, all of the posters here are lucky that you could even figure out what was going on. My wife and I were lost for most of the movie. We could never figure out which level of dream we were supposed to be in. i guess that's why we collect Soc. Sec. and probably all of you don't!

P.S. Seemed like Sc-Fi to me.

P.P.S. BTW, we would welcome an explanation of what we saw from any of you.

Jack
JackB is offline  
post #199 of 228 Old 01-24-2011, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
spivonious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lancaster, PA, USA
Posts: 1,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post

We rented it too. No special features. Disappointing. BTW, all of the posters here are lucky that you could even figure out what was going on. My wife and I were lost for most of the movie. We could never figure out which level of dream we were supposed to be in. i guess that's why we collect Soc. Sec. and probably all of you don't!

P.S. Seemed like Sc-Fi to me.

P.P.S. BTW, we would welcome an explanation of what we saw from any of you.

Lack of special features doesn't bother me. The only ones I'll usually watch are a blooper reel or making-of short.

The movie does require that you pay attention the entire time. This is definitely not one to have on in the background. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.
spivonious is offline  
post #200 of 228 Old 01-24-2011, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JackB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Pauma Valley, CA USA
Posts: 1,809
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

Lack of special features doesn't bother me. The only ones I'll usually watch are a blooper reel or making-of short.

The movie does require that you pay attention the entire time. This is definitely not one to have on in the background. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.

Was any of the movie real time or was the entire thing in one or more of the layers of a dream?

Jack
JackB is offline  
post #201 of 228 Old 01-24-2011, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
spivonious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lancaster, PA, USA
Posts: 1,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post

Was any of the movie real time or was the entire thing in one or more of the layers of a dream?

Heh, that's the question, isn't it?

I'm in the camp that believes the entire movie was a dream (top falls at the end). The other camp believes that the parts that we are made to believe is real-life (i.e. the parts where they're not shown going to sleep prior) are real-life (top stays spinning at the end).

I'm sure that the filmmaker doesn't know the answer to that either. He simply wanted to generate that discussion by keeping the ending ambiguous.
spivonious is offline  
post #202 of 228 Old 01-24-2011, 07:39 AM
Newbie
 
swillz2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@jack b: At the beginning of the movie Cobb is in the limbo zone. So this is one of those movies that starts at the end and flashes back to catch the viewer up. If you miss this part then you will be lost. You have to wake up from each level to come out of the inception. Cobb is not in the "real world" until the end so to speak. I dont have a 1/3 of the system of the reviewer but the audio on this disc is some of the best audio engineering I have ever heard as well as one of the best movies. Almost classic film.
swillz2000 is offline  
post #203 of 228 Old 01-24-2011, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
maxleung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It is safe to say that you have to be AWAKE to understand this movie.

I am still mystified that people don't "get" this movie. The human race is doomed!
maxleung is offline  
post #204 of 228 Old 01-24-2011, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Fastslappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: La CasaSlappy @ SlappyVille,SF NorthBay,CALI
Posts: 6,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
well the movie demands that you pay attention from the start . if one is keeping up with the details after the opening scenes IE; where Cobb is looking for the new architect, that's where the details of how the layered dream effect is fully explained
It may be that some people will have to watch it more than once
Shutter Island was the same way ,they are thinking man's movies & that to me is the best kind
instead of the current comic book movies that is standard fair these days
i was not surprised to see it didn't do well @ the Golden Globes ...

the true Classics never fair well there !
we'll see what the Academy Awards will show us how well they can comprehend a thinking man's movie ..........

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Fastslappy is offline  
post #205 of 228 Old 01-24-2011, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
spivonious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lancaster, PA, USA
Posts: 1,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post
well the movie demands that you pay attention from the start . if one is keeping up with the details after the opening scenes IE; where Cobb is looking for the new architect, that's where the details of how the layered dream effect is fully explained
It may be that some people will have to watch it more than once
Shutter Island was the same way ,they are thinking man's movies & that to me is the best kind
instead of the current comic book movies that is standard fair these days
i was not surprised to see it didn't do well @ the Golden Globes ...

the true Classics never fair well there !
we'll see what the Academy Awards will show us how well they can comprehend a thinking man's movie ..........
It was nice to see Portman get best actress for Black Swan. That is the most well-made and well-acted movie I have seen in a long time.
spivonious is offline  
post #206 of 228 Old 01-24-2011, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 16,340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 233
^^^
It's possible for people to "get" this film completely and still not be overly impressed with it.
rdgrimes is offline  
post #207 of 228 Old 01-24-2011, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Fastslappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: La CasaSlappy @ SlappyVille,SF NorthBay,CALI
Posts: 6,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post
It was nice to see Portman get best actress for Black Swan. That is the most well-made and well-acted movie I have seen in a long time.
I await for Black Swan to hit Blu-Ray
My HT is Much more enjoyable than @ the Local Theater & yes we have some fine ones here in the SF Bay Area
but here the snax are low cost,there is a pause button,no cell phone yakkers, you get the idea !

I will say I did watch Inception @ the Local theater(the only movie in 1-1/2 year I did that ) but the vocals were lacking & I had to strain to hear them
But the 2nd time was here on Blu-Ray & WoW the sound track was to die for ,it was amazing to hear how a sound track can add to a scenes tension , the sound was like another presence that filled the movie with emotion / stress / pressure
I can't think of another movie that comes anywhere near that in the sound track

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Fastslappy is offline  
post #208 of 228 Old 01-24-2011, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Fastslappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: La CasaSlappy @ SlappyVille,SF NorthBay,CALI
Posts: 6,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
^^^
It's possible for people to "get" this film completely and still not be overly impressed with it.
Yeah I can see that
It does take a leap of faith towards the screenplay that you believe where the writers are taking you
Sorta the "get on train " idea : this yarn will take you outta the conceptions of what one thinks is real .....

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Fastslappy is offline  
post #209 of 228 Old 01-24-2011, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 16,340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post
Yeah I can see that
It does take a leap of faith towards the screenplay that you believe where the writers are taking you
Sorta the "get on train " idea : this yarn will take you outta the conceptions of what one thinks is real .....
I'll concede that it is an interesting concept. I didn't have any trouble following it. I just wasn't very interested in the characters, didn't feel like I had anyone to root for. And the character's stories seemed to be taking a back seat to the mystery of what's real and what isn't. So for me at least this title has no re-watch value.
rdgrimes is offline  
post #210 of 228 Old 01-27-2011, 11:17 PM
Member
 
Vader182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just putting it out there- Nolan's said there is a definite answer to the film, and implied there are clues within it.
Vader182 is offline  
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Inception Two Disc Edition Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies
Gear in this thread - Inception by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off