Feature running time: 95 minutes
Genre: Animation/Family

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French, Spanish DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Steve Carell, Jason Segel, Russell Brand, Kristin Wiig, Miranda Cosgrove, Danny McBride, Julie Andrews
Directed by: Chris Reynaud & Pierre Coffin,
Music by: Pharrell Williams & Heitor Pereira
Written by: Cinco Paul & Ken Daurio
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: December 14, 2010

"Superbad. Superdad."

Film Synopsis:

Vying for the title of "World's Greatest Villain," Gru (voiced by Steve Carell) - along with his hilarious crew of mischievous minions - plots to pull off the craziest crime of the century: steal the moon! But when Gru enlists the help of three little girls, they see something in him nobody else has ever seen: the perfect dad.

My Take:

As most of you reading this know I am a sucker for animated family films and generally go into viewing them with an open mind and reasonably high expectations. I must say that I have rarely been disappointed and am amazed at the quality of the storytelling which seems to transcend studio lines. Prior to this viewing I knew very little about Despicable me other than the positive reviews I received from those who had seen it. That wasn't enough to entice me to the theater so I waited patiently for it to come to Blu-ray. I watched it with my wife and kids (one is a college freshman and the other a high school junior) and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Despicable me has the requisite ingredients that make for good wholesome family entertainment. I loved the rather unusual storyline about a professional villain named Gru who is at risk to lose his status as the world's greatest villain and devises a plan to steal the moon in order to put himself back on top. Unfortunately the device he requires to pull it off falls into the hands of Vector, his arch nemesis/competition and all around better equipped bad guy. Gru's attempts to recover it from him fail. One day Gru notices three little orphan girls selling cookies (coconutties) which just happen to be Vector's favorites which gain them access to his well guarded lair. The three little girls hail from a local orphanage and are forced to sell the cookies by Ms. Hattie the not so nice woman in charge. Like most orphans Margo, Edith, and Agnes long to be adopted and hope to be part of a family someday. Gru didn't become the world's top villain for nothing. He is cold, calculating, and devoid of empathy, emotion and anything resembling a nurturing nature. He decides to adopt the girls under the pretence of giving them a home in order to use them to gain access to Vector's lair. Along with his trusted advisor Dr. Nefario and his devoted and stalwart minions he puts his plan to work. The one thing Gru never took into account was the effect that three charming and loving little girls would have on him. As he struggles to maintain focus he slowly begins to understand that perhaps there are more important things than being the world's greatest villain.

This is a heartwarming, funny and well executed animated film that is perfectly suited for the entire family. I really enjoyed the emotive nature of the story with respect to the connection between Gru and the girls. The animated depiction of the various characters is priceless and adds to their appeal as well the story's theme/components. The humor isn't just for little ones but never ventures anywhere near inappropriate. The minions and their antics provide lots of comic relief and the interaction among themselves as well as with Gru and Dr. Nefario is hilarious. I probably got the most enjoyment out of the three adorable little orphans (especially Agnes) and their yearning for a family despite any predefined notion of what that family might be. The cast does a great job. Steve Carell breathes endearing life into Gru and is terrific. Crazy Jason Segel is hoot in the role of Vector and Julie Andrews and Russell Brand are equally entertaining as Professor Nefario and Grus Mom. I applaud screenwriter's Cinco Paul and Ken Daurio as well as co-director's Chris Renaud and Pierre Coffin on a strong effort that follows in the tradition of many of today's popular animated films which makes for great family entertainment.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for rude humor and mild action.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 90

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 96

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Despicable Me comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios HE featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 27 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.3 mbps.

This is a reference quality video presentation that boasts vivacious colors that are rich in saturation and bold in depth. Detail is superlative as the video has definitive three dimensional quality with crisp texture and excellent fine articulation. Contrast is strong and well balanced so that whites are crisp and colors pop without distortion or loss of detail. Blacks are deep with excellent dynamic and gradational highlights while falling just shy of the infinite sense of depth exhibited by the best digital animation I have seen on Blu-ray. This is a beautiful and pristine quality digital transfer that looks stunning. The DTS-HD Master Audio encoding makes excellent use of the entire surround platform and offers detail rich sonic clarity, crystalline dialogue and plenty of authoritative, room filling bass. This mix doesn't bombard you with constantly aggressive surround sound. It applies it when appropriate and combines discretely placed directional cues with rear channel ambience that fills the listening area nicely. The front and rear sound field's never collide but work in unison to render the soundtrack with precise imaging and acoustic presence that elevates the experience. The LFE channel is actively engaged throughout and offers bass response that is extended, punchy and clean. This is a well rounded overall presentation that should satisfy even discerning enthusiasts.

Bonus Features:

• Gru-control - interactive movie watching experience

• (HD) Despicable me mini-movies (12 minutes total): Home make-over, Orientation day, and Banana

• (HD) The voices of Despicable me - 16 minute look behind the scenes

• (HD) The world of Despicable me - 15 minute featurette

• (HD) Despicable Beats - 2 minute featurette

• (HD) Super silly fun land - 3 interactive games

• (HD) Grus rocket builder - interactive game

• (HD) Miss Hatties top secret cookie recipes - 5 (text based) recipes

• (HD) Global effort - 3 minute production featurette

• (HD) Despicable me game previews: Game trailer & Minion mania App

• Audio commentary by co-directors Chris Reynaud & Pierre Coffin featuring the Minions

• My Scenes bookmark feature

• D-Box Motion Code enabled

• Pocket Blu - App for iPOD/iPHONE - Plus exclusive Minion me and Minion Dominion iPhone/iPad Apps

• BD-Live enabled

• Digital Copy

• Bonus DVD

Final Thoughts:

Despicable me has the requisite ingredients and properly balanced formula that make for heartwarming, funny and wholesome family entertainment. It was a hit it my house and I am happy to report that its high definition presentation from Universal Studios Home Entertainment is a stunner that is sure to please even discerning home theater enthusiasts. Add to that an entertaining and fan friendly bonus feature set and you have an excellent Blu-ray offering that comes highly recommended.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 12-19-2010, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 194
The 3D presentation is one of the few 3D discs I've viewed that didn't seem too dark. It compares favorably with the 2D disc for brightness and color and detail. The roller-coaster ride will go down as one of the best 3D presentations to date.

I'm afraid that I didn't respond well to the movie though, the level of silliness and cuteness was a bit high. Great for kids though.
post #3 of 36 Old 12-19-2010, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
My wife and I watched this one last night...it was better than most non-pixar movies (Kung Fu, Shrek, and Dragon being the exception). Some of the humor fell a little flat, but I liked the minions, Gru and the kids a lot.
Great rental, but I don't think I'll be owning it
post #4 of 36 Old 12-19-2010, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 201
If you can believe it, my 16 year old daughter LOVES this movie and she doesn't like many animated flicks. It isn't the deepest story line, but it is very enjoyable. We picked it up to give as a Christmas gift, and I can't wait to see it again myself. Thanks for the low-down on the blu-ray...
post #5 of 36 Old 12-19-2010, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Great movie. Like a poster above said, better than most non Disney/Pixar stuff. IMO, on par with Dragon/Shrek etc. (better than the Shrek sequels). Probably Steve Carells best/funniest movie. Ill be owning this for sure. Good to hear Universal did a great job on it, although i would have expected nothing less.
post #6 of 36 Old 12-19-2010, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks Ralph, bought it at a local chain for the best price around here and just haven't watched it yet. All the reviews and friends who have seen it say the same so looking forward to finally getting the group together and watching it.
post #7 of 36 Old 12-19-2010, 06:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
I got the 3D version over the weekend but haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

Not enough hours in the day.

Scott
SatelliteGuys.US / MultiChannel News
post #8 of 36 Old 12-19-2010, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Nice review Ralph! I watched this one last Wednesday and i agree with your ratings...

Christian

My DVD and Blu Ray collection

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
post #9 of 36 Old 12-19-2010, 06:54 PM

Liked: 10
wow you missed the best use of 3D so far to date, the end credit part with the minions where they try to "get out" of the screen works wonderfully at the movie theater because while the people gets out of the theater they become points of reference for the distance and the deepness and pop out of that video becomes alive specially when they use the ladder

AMAZING
post #10 of 36 Old 12-19-2010, 08:13 PM

Liked: 19
Thanks for another fine review Ralph. Always enjoy reading them.

I had picked up the movie already and watched it with family that is visiting from out of town for Christmas. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed it. I was hoping to see a review from you.

The animated movies are becoming so good (at least my family agrees) that they are starting to become better than traditional movies.

I can't comment on the 3D aspect of the movie since I'm one of the 5% of people it doesn't work on.
post #11 of 36 Old 12-19-2010, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Just watched this with the fam tonight. Cracked me up.

I agree, Ralph, it was perfectly casted. Steve Carell was excellent as Gru. The LFE when the rocket blasts off literally had my couch moving. My kids and I loved it.

P.S. Watched the 3 mini-movies too.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #12 of 36 Old 12-20-2010, 05:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Meh... Pretty poor. But a step above the latest Shrek (not saying much). My 5 year old liked it but my wife and I slept through parts.

Despicable Me had I bought this!!

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #13 of 36 Old 12-20-2010, 06:09 AM

Liked: 11
Just watched it yesterday and I found it enjoyable enough. I, too, am a sucker for most newer animated films.

Anybody else think Steve Carrell made Gru sound a little too much like Shrek at times, or was it just me?

XBox Live: Mystaphyer / ConmansMom

post #14 of 36 Old 12-20-2010, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I normally love animated and cartoon movies but i just for the life of me can't seem to like this one. Not sure why. Looks like everyone here likes it so i might give this one a spin.

Cheers
post #15 of 36 Old 12-20-2010, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 194
There's a couple of 3D MKV files available for download, including the roller coaster ride: http://www.3dtvworld.com.au/3d-downloads/ The 3D Roadrunner cartoon is there also.
post #16 of 36 Old 12-20-2010, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 200
This is in my five year olds stocking. I am sure she will like it.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #17 of 36 Old 12-20-2010, 03:12 PM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by leviathan18 View Post
wow you missed the best use of 3D so far to date, the end credit part with the minions where they try to "get out" of the screen works wonderfully at the movie theater because while the people gets out of the theater they become points of reference for the distance and the deepness and pop out of that video becomes alive specially when they use the ladder

AMAZING
That is the definition of gimmck 3D. The "heeeeeeeere's your pizzaaaa!" gag. For my money, Avatar is still the most immersive 3D movie ever. I don't need stupid stuff popping out at me.
post #18 of 36 Old 12-20-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow4life View Post
That is the definition of gimmck 3D. The "heeeeeeeere's your pizzaaaa!" gag. For my money, Avatar is still the most immersive 3D movie ever. I don't need stupid stuff popping out at me.
"That's what she said"!

Sorry couldn't resist that Steve Carrell The Office reference.
post #19 of 36 Old 12-20-2010, 10:42 PM

My kids (5 & 8) play the same movies over and over again. This is one I'll always sit down for.

Bank of Evil
Formerly Lehman Brothers
post #20 of 36 Old 12-21-2010, 01:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Finished watching it,we enjoyed it my daughter more than me (Im glad for the dvd copy). The rocket scene at the end gave some great LFE, but it was good throughout the film(eg shark scene)

Frank

post #21 of 36 Old 12-21-2010, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Did anyone catch the "Gru-ray" display logo in one of the scenes?

HDTV Early Adopter
post #22 of 36 Old 12-21-2010, 07:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD_99 View Post

Did anyone catch the "Gru-ray" display logo in one of the scenes?

Yeah I did I thought that was good

Frank

post #23 of 36 Old 01-03-2011, 06:02 PM

What a hoot. I especially like the minions. There was one laugh that escaped my grandson. It's the scene where Gru goes through the secret passage to the Evil Bank, and in small letters beneath the sign it reads "Formerly Lehman Brothers"

Still chuckling on that one..

Vince
post #24 of 36 Old 01-03-2011, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep, the Lehman Brothers gag was classic...
post #25 of 36 Old 01-04-2011, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Finished watching it,we enjoyed it my daughter more than me (Im glad for the dvd copy). The rocket scene at the end gave some great LFE, but it was good throughout the film(eg shark scene)

My Son & I watched this one earlier tonight & both loved it, It was better than I expected & would even go as far as saying that I enjoyed it more than my 8 year old ..

Excellent Review as always Ralph ..

Jase..
post #26 of 36 Old 01-04-2011, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema mad View Post

My Son & I watched this one earlier tonight & both loved it, It was better than I expected & would even go as far as saying that I enjoyed it more than my 8 year old ..

Excellent Review as always Ralph ..

Jase..

Greetings,

Glad you enjoyed it Jase!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #27 of 36 Old 01-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Nice review. I watched this movie while away for the holidays--but not in HD. So I ordered the Blu Ray to watch on my system--a really fun movie!

Bob

post #28 of 36 Old 01-07-2011, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
We loved this one too Ralph. My second favorite animated film of the year. Behind How to Train Your Dragon and ahead of Toy Story 3.

This one had my wife and I rolling almost the entire time. LOVED the minions. Cute, laughable, and conniving. Very well executed.

The girls were so dang cute, lovable and stole some of the scenes.

Gru was fantastic. Good character depth; from his background with his mother, to his desire to be the ultimate baddy, to his repressed soft side. Steve Carell did honorably with his voiceover. Loved the accent, tone, and care he put into every line. Great character all around.

Loved how this film blended lots of comedy, excellent characters, and heartwarming (and break-your-heart) moments.

Fully agree Ralph with your PQ and AQ ratings.

PQ: 4.5 out of 5, SQ: 4.5 out of 5, Film 4.5 out of 5

Dan
post #29 of 36 Old 01-11-2011, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 57
My wife and I watched the first 45 minutes and were so bored that we turned it off. I thought Carell was horrible in my limited viewing. This is the first animated blu-ray in memory that I haven't enjoyed.
post #30 of 36 Old 02-27-2011, 07:05 AM

Just wondering if anyone has had problems playing this blu-ray on their PS3? I bought it yesterday for my boys because they loved it and it wont play on either of their PS3's. One is a PS3 fat and the other a PS3 slim. Any ideas?

Great movie. Really funny.

Mike
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Despicable Me Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Region Free

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page