Studio and Year: Warner - 2010
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 125/153 minutes
Genre: Crime/Thriller/Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/French, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Ben Affleck, Jeremy Renner, Rebecca Hall, Jon Hamm, Black Lively, Titus Welliver, Pete Postlethwaite, Chris Cooper
Directed by: Ben Affleck
Music by: Harry Gregson-Williams & Greg Buckley
Written by: Peter Craig, Ben Affleck, Aaron Stockard
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: December 14, 2010

"Welcome to the bank robbery capital of the world"

Film Synopsis:

Ben Affleck follows his acclaimed Gone Baby Gone directorial debut by directing, co-writing and starring in a taut thriller about robbers and cops, friendship and betrayal, love and hope and escaping a past that has no future. He plays Doug MacRay, leader of a Boston bank robber gang but not cut from the same cloth as his fellow thieves. When Doug falls into a passionate romance with the bank manager (Rebecca Hall) briefly taken hostage in their last heist, he wants out of this life and out of the town. As the Feds close in and the crew questions his loyalty, he has one of two choices: betray his friends or lose the woman he loves.

My Take:

I think that as an actor Ben Affleck gets kind of a raw deal in that many don't find him to be credible especially among the peers he broke in with. I don't have a problem with him as an actor and generally enjoy his films. Whether you like him as an actor or not there is no denying that he has shown that he can direct. Gone baby gone and now The Town are perfect examples of my point. With The Town he takes it a step farther and acts as well as directs. I went to see The Town while it was in theaters. I found it to be engrossing as its well crafted script harkened back to old school heist films while engaging us with strong characters, interpersonal drama, and palpable action that doesn't overrun the story. The premise is fairly simple. A group of career criminals from Boston's Charlestown pull off a series of robberies beginning with a bank. During the bank job they take the female bank manager hostage until they are safely away. Later they decide to keep tabs on her to ensure that she doesn't know anything that could lead the FBI to them. One of the robbers, Doug Macray (Affleck), becomes more involved than he should (by meeting then dating her) and subsequently falls for her. She has no idea that he was one of the robbers/kidnappers and their growing relationship becomes the push he needs to finally break away from the crime and associations of the town. Unfortunately things aren't so simple and Doug finds himself caught between his difficult past, new found love, and the pull of the rabble he has aligned himself with who won't just let him walk away. He will have to do one more heist to satisfy them. The stakes are the highest they have ever been while the risk is even greater.

The Town is one part buddy flick, one part romance, one part shoot 'em up, and one part drama. The development of the revolving plot and the integration of the characters are excellent. I appreciated the time put into allowing the audience to see why Doug's past still haunts him and to understand the complex relationship between he and Jim. Jim is the less dimensional of the two but decidedly more fun to watch thanks to a superb performance by the very talented Jeremy Renner. Doug is the central figure upon which the plot rests. He is the troubled kid, the failed athlete, and recovering drug addict who sees the need for temperance. Meeting Claire (Hall) was the turning point that showed Doug's that there is happiness outside of the circle of dysfunctional relationships that have surrounded him his whole life. When he decides to leave he finds out that the life that he thought he owned he doesn't. Doug comes to learn a few valuable lessons along with the painful truth about his past. It is when Claire's life is used as leverage to coerce Doug's participation that those who seemingly underestimate his resolve learn the true meaning in the spoken words of a temperate man.

I think that Ben Affleck nailed this role in portraying Doug as a sympathetic and substantial character that was easy to like and accept. I didn't completely connect with Rebecca Hall initially and wasn't convinced that she was right for the love interest opposite Affleck. Watching it this time I came away with a different impression and thought the pairing worked well. I am not crazy about the neat, tidy and somewhat corny ending but it doesn't negate the films' impact. The Town relies greatly on its characters, which pays dividends thanks to a solid cast that features noteworthy supporting performances from Blake Lively, Pete Postlethwaite, and Jon Hamm. Warner has included both the theatrical version and extended cut which adds 28 minutes to the original runtime. I watched the extended cut which adds several developmental scenes and fleshes out a few interpersonal relationships. I didn't find the extended cut to be better or worse than the theatrical just different. It's nice to have the option to view both so decide for yourself. Either way The Town is a compelling character driven crime thriller that proves very rewarding.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong violence, pervasive language, some sexuality and drug use.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 90

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

The Town comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Home video featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 12 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.1 Mbps.

This isn't a bright or overly colorful film. The chromatic palette consists mainly of cooler tones and muted secondary hues with the occasional interjection of primary colors that don't offer much in the way of visual stimulation. This coupled with the prominent display of grain gives it a gritty texture and rougher visual style that works quite well with the film's thematic tone. Resolution is excellent but the nature of the photography isn't always lent to the lucid definition that provides an infinite sense of depth. There are many instances where detail is clearly resolvable with discerning visual perspective and rich clarity. On the other hand there are times where delineation and sharpness is less tangibly defining. Close ups tend to be outstanding and offer plenty of appreciable refinement in the physical features and weave of the fabric in the clothing worn by the cast. The film uses a many low level interior and exterior scenes. The superb cinematography uses a variety of lighting schemes and purposeful shadows. The perception of detail in backgrounds and scenes containing mixed light/dark elements can be scene dependent but this appears directly related to artistic choice and rarely has a deleterious effect. Contrast is stable over the course of the presentation and blacks, while not inky, have sufficient depth so that they don't appear flat or washed out. The lower bitrate associated with this encoding is notable but not surprising considering that both versions of the film are located on a single BD50. I didn't note any overt signs of degradation as a result and thought that this presentation as a whole was excellent.

This is a superlative audio presentation that features wide dynamic range built around a wonderfully balanced surround mix that sounds great. This isn't a consistently involving surround sound mix however it offers an enriching listening experience. Clarity and detail are exemplary which reveal lots of subtle nuance in the recording. The mix of dialogue and music play an integral and central role however there are brief moments of bombast that allow this mix to flex its dynamic muscle. Listen in chapter 12 as the elevated train passes overhead and rumbles through the room. Bass isn't subterranean but it definitively augments the richness and tangibility of gunfire fire as it resonates throughout the sound field with potent authority. The sounds of the open expanse of a crowded public venue, the whizzing of flying bullets or the near field pans of a high speed chase envelop, and revolve around the listening position with stark realism. Dialogue is crystalline with excellent intonation and descriptive character. Harry Gregson-Williams' superbly crafted music sounds smooth, incredibly refined and airy as it augments the story with an immersive and room filling quality that is noticeably involving.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Ben's Boston - Focus Points (with play all option):

1. Pulling off the perfect heist (3 minutes)
    2. The Town - (5 minutes)
    3. Nuns with guns: Filming in the North End (5 minutes)
    4. The real people of The Town - (3 minutes)
    5. Ben Affleck: Director & Actor - (7 minutes)
    6. The cathedral of Boston - (7minutes)

• Audio commentary for Extended Cut

• Audio commentary for Theatrical Cut

• Additional scene indicator (Extended Cut)

• BD-Live enabled

• Bonus DVD/Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

The Town is a compelling, well crafted, and wonderfully enacted crime thriller that harkens back to old school heist films while engaging us with strong characters, interpersonal drama, and palpable action. Ben Affleck successfully works on both sides of the camera proving that his ability as a filmmaker is a genuine commodity. The Town rolls onto Blu-ray from Warner Home Video featuring excellent high definition video and engaging lossless surround sound that accentuate the film's elements. The supplemental material isn't extensive however both the theatrical and extended cuts of the movie are included with each receiving an interesting/informative audio commentary track featuring director/actor Ben Affleck. If you haven't seen The Town and enjoy a good heist flick this is definitely worth checking out. If you're already a fan, this Blu-ray offering from Warner is a no-brainer and comes highly recommended. Enjoy!

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 12-21-2010, 07:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Excellent review of an excellent film .. Jeremy Renner was particularly great and reminded me of James Cagney .. if anyone knows who Cagney is these days ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #3 of 30 Old 12-21-2010, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This was a great movie and like what Ralph said it was well crafted. There was a certain scene where it reminded me of the movie Heat. Thought half of the ending was very powerful and engaging. Definitely a collect for me. Great review as always Ralph.

Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Cheers
post #4 of 30 Old 12-21-2010, 07:53 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

This was a great movie and like what Ralph said it was well crafted. There was a certain scene where it reminded me of the movie Heat. Thought half of the ending was very powerful and engaging. Definitely a collect for me. Great review as always Ralph.

Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Cheers

I am a huge HEAT fan, and have heard from several people that The Town is similar. I've been so busy lately that I've put off seeing this one...but will see it ASAP.

Thanks Ralph!
post #5 of 30 Old 12-21-2010, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

How's the replay value on this...it is definitely the type of movie I like, but trying to figure out a blind buy or not.

Thanks
Greg
post #6 of 30 Old 12-21-2010, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschlic View Post

I am a huge HEAT fan, and have heard from several people that The Town is similar. I've been so busy lately that I've put off seeing this one...but will see it ASAP.

Thanks Ralph!

You won't be dissappointed.
post #7 of 30 Old 12-21-2010, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin View Post

How's the replay value on this...it is definitely the type of movie I like, but trying to figure out a blind buy or not.

Thanks
Greg

I for one plan on watching it again tonight

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #8 of 30 Old 12-21-2010, 11:19 PM

This really was a great movie and a must buy for me. The action was very well done.

Stephen
post #9 of 30 Old 12-22-2010, 08:44 AM

Ralph, I love your honest, no BS reviews of movies. Whenever a movie is released I make a point of using your reviews as reference. Keep up the EXCELLENT work. And all the very best for Christmas and the New Year. From an appreciative fan in Cebu, Philippines.

Pre ordered Steelbooks: Adjustment Bureau, Black Hawk Down, Blade Runner, Collateral Damage, Last Samurai, Narnia:Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Reservoir Dogs, Troy.
post #10 of 30 Old 12-22-2010, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

I bought this as a blind buy last week on Blu-ray. It is one of the best films I have seen this year. Great review as usual, Ralph.
post #11 of 30 Old 12-22-2010, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Boy in BKK View Post

Ralph, I love your honest, no BS reviews of movies. Whenever a movie is released I make a point of using your reviews as reference. Keep up the EXCELLENT work. And all the very best for Christmas and the New Year. From an appreciative fan in Cebu, Philippines.

Greetings,

Your comments are much appreciated, thanks.

Happy Holidays to you as well..!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #12 of 30 Old 12-22-2010, 09:50 AM

Thank You for all your honest reviews.
post #13 of 30 Old 12-22-2010, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

This looks to be a kick ass movie. Can't wait.

Evil is Good
post #14 of 30 Old 12-22-2010, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab1219 View Post

Thank You for all your honest reviews.

Greetings,

Thank you and to you as well.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #15 of 30 Old 12-23-2010, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Was interested to see your rating on this one Ralph. We finished it up last night and I hadn't seen your review yet. Fully agree with your review.

This is a fantastic crime film. Much better than I was expecting. I found that the range of characters had unpredictable actions, which also heightened the suspense. Excellent depth to the main characters as well, especially building on Doug's (Affleck) past. This film also did a great job of making you feel a part of Charlestown where it took place.

I loved all of the aerial shots. Beautiful and extremely detailed. I thought the picture quality was top notch.

PQ: 4.5 out of 5, SQ: 4 out of 5, Film 4 out of 5

Dan
post #16 of 30 Old 12-24-2010, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 106
Just bought this one today cant wait to watch it and thanks again Ralph for another outstanding reveiw ! Im spoiled now because I wont buy a bluray until I read your review first
post #17 of 30 Old 12-24-2010, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post

Just bought this one today cant wait to watch it and thanks again Ralph for another outstanding reveiw ! Im spoiled now because I wont buy a bluray until I read your review first

Greetings,

Thanks The Factor.

Be sure to post back after you've seen it...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #18 of 30 Old 12-24-2010, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Thanks The Factor.

Be sure to post back after you've seen it...

Regards,

Your Welcome Ralph and I will be watching it sunday so i'll post back . I will hopefully finally get the chance to watch Inception tomorrow . Happy Holidays
post #19 of 30 Old 12-26-2010, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Just finished watching this one and OMG Loved it, great LFE/Audio PQ was outstanding . Just a down wright exciting and fun movie, my hearts still pounding. Great review Spot on Ralph !!
post #20 of 30 Old 12-26-2010, 08:41 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Will give this one a go thank you Ralph.

Frank

post #21 of 30 Old 01-02-2011, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Wow, I cannot BELIEVE how good this movie was. I just watched it on Dish (on demand), which is something I rarely do, but didn't have any netflix movies in the house today. I was truly blown away by this movie from start to finish. I definitely agree with the comparison to Heat, and as much as I enjoyed that film I would consider this one superior to it. I am one of Benny's biggest critics, but I have to give him props this time around. He was strong as an actor, and for the first time ever I felt he actually delved into the role to where it didn't feel like the same character he plays in every other movie. The dialogue was very sharp and engaging, and I loved how there were so many dynamics intertwining with one another. The role of the female lead was particularly fascinating. When you consider the position she was put in, it's just brilliant writing!

Nice job, Benny....dare I say it, but I think I just became a "fan" tonight.

Great review, Ralph!!
post #22 of 30 Old 01-02-2011, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
Same here, at least as an actor, but as a director, I was really impressed with
Gone Baby Gone and he proved with The Town that he was no 1 hit wonder as a director.
post #23 of 30 Old 01-02-2011, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the review, Ralph. Looks as it did in the theater.
post #24 of 30 Old 01-02-2011, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

Wow, I cannot BELIEVE how good this movie was. I just watched it on Dish (on demand), which is something I rarely do, but didn't have any netflix movies in the house today. I was truly blown away by this movie from start to finish. I definitely agree with the comparison to Heat, and as much as I enjoyed that film I would consider this one superior to it. I am one of Benny's biggest critics, but I have to give him props this time around. He was strong as an actor, and for the first time ever I felt he actually delved into the role to where it didn't feel like the same character he plays in every other movie. The dialogue was very sharp and engaging, and I loved how there were so many dynamics intertwining with one another. The role of the female lead was particularly fascinating. When you consider the position she was put in, it's just brilliant writing!

Great review, Ralph!!

Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your impressions Summa..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #25 of 30 Old 01-02-2011, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauheel05 View Post

Thanks for the review, Ralph. Looks as it did in the theater.

Greetings,

You're more than welcome.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #26 of 30 Old 01-02-2011, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeb View Post

Same here, at least as an actor, but as a director, I was really impressed with
Gone Baby Gone and he proved with The Town that he was no 1 hit wonder as a director.

Totally agree, my friend. I actually can't wait to see this film in my HT since I only watched it on my girl's 40" LCD the other night...I don't often want to see films a 2nd time right away, but I really enjoyed this one.

Good Will Hunting, Gone Baby Gone, The Town...all movies where Benny was involved with writing and/or directing...can't wait to see what he's got for his next project!
post #27 of 30 Old 01-05-2011, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Totally agree, my friend. I actually can't wait to see this film in my HT since I only watched it on my girl's 40" LCD the other night...I don't often want to see films a 2nd time right away, but I really enjoyed this one.

Good Will Hunting, Gone Baby Gone, The Town...all movies where Benny was involved with writing and/or directing...can't wait to see what he's got for his next project!
Agreed, I have definetly become a fan of his writing/directing.
post #28 of 30 Old 01-11-2011, 07:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 215
The thoroughly enjoyed this flick. Although it's certainly not original, it's well written and executed. PQ/AQ are top notch, well worth the watch.
post #29 of 30 Old 01-25-2011, 06:28 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I enjoyed this last night a really good movie.

Frank

post #30 of 30 Old 03-03-2011, 04:46 PM

I just picked this up on blu-ray but I didnt realize until I got home that it wasnt the extended cut. After seeing the movie in the theaters I realized that the non-extended cut had a few scenes left out. After viewing it, I instantly put it on ebay, resold it, and brought the extended edition. Great film just make sure you buy the extended cut.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , The Town Blu Ray Dvd Ultimate Collectors Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page