Studio and Year: Touchstone - 2010
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 107 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Rick Malambri, Adam G. Sevani, Sharin Vinson, Alyson Stoner
Directed by: Jon M. Chu
Music by: Bear McCreary
Written by: Amy Andelson & Emily Meyer
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: December 21, 2010

"Born from a boombox.."

Film Synopsis:

Step it up to the stratosphere with Step Up 3, the eye-popping dance movie that gets your juices flowing like nothing before it. Gravity-defying routines, pulse-pounding music, and heated drama take you to a dimension that's nothing less than amazing. When a tight-knit group of New York City street dancers are pitted against the best hip
hop dancers in the world, it's a high stakes dance battle that'll change their lives forever.

My Take:

You don't have to be a fan of Hip Hop music or break style dance to appreciate the level of talent displayed by the dancers in this follow up to 2006's Step Up and 2008's Step Up 2 The Streets. Step up 3's true focus (and strength) lies in its variety of dazzling dance routines and pulsating hip hop rhythms. Outside of the dance numbers the story is built around a group of NY City street dancers lead by Luke, a dancer/budding filmmaker who owns the Vault a place for his dance group The Pirates to live and train. The Vault was started by Luke's parents and he has been caring for and running it but has fallen behind in the mortgage payments. On the precipice of foreclosure Luke and The Pirates set their sights on the city's largest break dance competition, The World Jam, which carries with it a $100k first prize. In order to win The Pirates will have to beat their arch rivals House of Samurai. Luke enlists the aid of newcomer and NYU freshman Moose, along with Natalie, a beautiful young woman, who has recently begun frequenting the Vault's club scene. Romance blossoms for Luke and Natalie while Moose struggles with burning the candle at both ends. With the World Jam drawing near pressures mount, trusts are broken and The Pirates face elimination before stepping foot on the dance floor.

In looking at Step up 3 strictly as a dramatic film I found it to be painfully formulaic and dull. The dialogue can be trite and I found the uninspired acting to be distracting. It is obvious that the idea is to focus on the music/dance and in that regard Step up 3 does well. The physical agility, rhythm and strength displayed by the dancers in the film are incredible to watch. The soundtrack features music by Flo Rida (featuring David Guetta), Trey Songz, Roscoe Dash & T-Pain, Laza Morgan and Wisin y Yandel. While I felt that the characters were poorly drawn I did get a kick out of some of the banter and lighthearted interaction. I also liked the sequence featuring Moose and Cam gracefully dancing through the streets to the re-mix of Gene Kelly and Ginger Rogers. The terrific dance routines and superb physicality were rewarding but not enough to draw me in as I found myself checking the time on more than one occasion. Those who are into the style of hip hop music and break dancing featured in Step up 3 will probably get more out of it.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for brief strong language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 88

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Step up 3 comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 31 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 5.1 Mbps.

This is an excellent high definition video presentation that boasts warm, inviting colors with deeply saturated primaries and vivid hues. Fleshtones are nicely delineated with warm tonality and diverse complexional quality among the cast. Detail is in abundance as images look crisp with clearly resolvable fine minutia, and three dimensional depth that on occasion provides a near infinite visual perspective. Blacks are rich with excellent dynamic range and noticeable gradational stages. Contrast is strong which provides plenty of pop to colors and whites without washing them out. The video had a dynamic, pleasing, and pristine quality that looked great throughout the presentation.

The high resolution DTS-HD MA soundtrack delivers smooth, sibilant free treble, tonally rich, crystalline dialogue, and diffused, room filling ambience. The front channels are seamlessly integrated as they combine with the four surround channels to generate a tightly infused and immersive sound field. This mix creates a two dimensional soundstage that comes alive during the music/dance set pieces. The sounds of the crowd and music, gyrate around the listening area as the deep, low frequency energy thumps along to the driving hip hop rhythms. I am not a fan of the repetitive nature of the film's music but thought that this audio presentation sounded great.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Born from a boombox: A Luke Katcher film - 11 minutes

• (HD) Extra moves - 7 minutes

• (HD) 8 Deleted scenes with optional introduction by director Jon M. Chu

• (HD) Music videos:

1. Club can't handle me - By Flo Rida featuring David Guetta
    2. My own step (theme from Step up 3) - By Roscoe Dash and T-Pain featuring Fabo
    3. Already taken - By Trey Songz
    4. This girl - Laza Morgan
    5. This instant - Sophia Fresh featuring T-Pain
    6. No Te Quiero (Remix) - By Sophia Del Carmen featuring Pitbull
    7. Irresistible - Wisin y Yandel
    8. Spirit of the radio - Jrandall

• (HD) Making of the music videos - 7 minutes

• Bonus DVD of Step up 3

Final Thoughts:

I appreciated Step up 3 for its superlative dance numbers and display of physical talent. Unfortunately it is a sub par dramatic film although I suspect that fans of the style of music/dance it features may enjoy it more than I did. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney true to form by offering high quality audio/video that looks and sounds great in high definition. I didn't find the bonus content to be particularly stimulating but if you like the film's music the videos may appeal to you. If you're a fan's of the first two films Step up 3 is probably worth renting but I wouldn't recommend it as a blind buy.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-22-2010, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Agree with Ralph on dance numbers and display of physical talent. Funny this actually brought me back to the 80's because it reminded me of Breakdancing although it's not the premise was pretty close. I'd say this is good for a rental.

Cheers
post #3 of 14 Old 12-22-2010, 01:17 PM

I'm with you 100% with your review of this film. As a dance spectical it was fantastic. As a movie it made my eyes bleed it was so bad.

The story could have been written on the back of a napkin for all the effort that went into it. It was so formula I found myself just begging for the next dance routine to kick-in just so I could escape the mental torture it was inflicting on me. The acting complimented the story well, which is to say Robotic and superficial. Well on the dance floor robotic is a legitimate style, does not carry over well to acting lol.

Fortunately, the movie had so much great dancing in it, that I was able to overlook the crap that was everything else.
post #4 of 14 Old 12-22-2010, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Ralph, you are too kind. Two stars??? Your a better man than me for having to watch this dreck.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-22-2010, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepyourgameup View Post

Ralph, you are too kind. Two stars??? Your a better man than me for having to watch this dreck.

Greetings,

It would have rated lower had it not been for the numerous dance sequences which kept things a little more interesting..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #6 of 14 Old 12-23-2010, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Thanks for the review.

I know this movie was shot in 3-D for the theatrical release but it's interesting to see that the video didn't transfer as well to 2-D via blu ray.

I do wonder what went wrong during the transfer.

Sofa King Bananas

"My mother****** is so cool, when he goes to bed, sheep count him." Pinky

post #7 of 14 Old 12-26-2010, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebesthereis View Post
Thanks for the review.

I know this movie was shot in 3-D for the theatrical release but it's interesting to see that the video didn't transfer as well to 2-D via blu ray.

I do wonder what went wrong during the transfer.
who is saying it didn't transfer well?
post #8 of 14 Old 12-26-2010, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector.B View Post

who is saying it didn't transfer well?

Have you seen the video portion of the review? The very fact that it didn't receive a '100' score is kind of obvious.
REFERENCE would have been optimal.

Sofa King Bananas

post #9 of 14 Old 12-26-2010, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

So only Pixar movie are transferred well?
post #10 of 14 Old 12-26-2010, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So only Pixar movie are transferred well?

Umm, no.

Sofa King Bananas

post #11 of 14 Old 12-26-2010, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Umm, no.

My point exactly. Just because a live action movie doesn't receive a perfect 100 score on this site doesn't mean it wasn't transferred well. Ralph specifically says it is a very pleasing transfer, just because the material is not perfect doesn't mean it is a botched transfer. You are dealing in absolutes.
post #12 of 14 Old 12-26-2010, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My point exactly. Just because a live action movie doesn't receive a perfect 100 score on this site doesn't mean it wasn't transferred well. Ralph specifically says it is a very pleasing transfer, just because the material is not perfect doesn't mean it is a botched transfer. You are dealing in absolutes.

Um, none of my comments stated that it was a botched transfer. If a movie was shot in 3-D for theatrical release, it SHOULD have a reference transfer over to blu-ray. Obviously I know every movie will not receive a '100' in video. Movies that are filmed/shot in 3-D for a theatrical release are obviously done so at the directors' instruction and they should have a meticulous transfer over to blu-ray. Specifically because the director felt it should be viewed in 3-D, is enough to warrant the extra scrutiny in video quality when being transferred over.
My comment supports my individual opinion.

Sofa King Bananas

post #13 of 14 Old 12-26-2010, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Greetings,

This is a great looking high definition presentation. I can't speak for its theatrical origins etc. Just know that a video rating of 90 doesn't coincide with a lesser quality "transfer". Enjoy.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #14 of 14 Old 12-26-2010, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Movies that are filmed/shot in 3-D for a theatrical release are obviously done so at the directors' instruction and they should have a meticulous transfer over to blu-ray. Specifically because the director felt it should be viewed in 3-D, is enough to warrant the extra scrutiny in video quality when being transferred over.
My comment supports my individual opinion.

That is not true. Trust me movies shot in 2D are meticulously shot as well.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Step Up 3 Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page