Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-02-2011, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
attachment.php?attachmentid=193178&d=1291484985
The Review at a Glance: ( max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373697

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373697

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Sony Pictures Classics - 2009
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 104 minutes
Genre: Comedy, Crime

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): French (PAR) DTS-HD MA 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH
Starring: Danny Boon, Andre Dussollier, Omar Sy, Dominique Pinion, Jillie Ferrier
Directed by: Jean-Pierre Jeunet
Music by: Raphael Beau
Written by: Jean-Pierre Jeunet, Guillaume Laurant
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: December 14, 2010

"Non-stop shenanigans."

Film Synopsis:

First it was a mine that exploded in the middle of the Moroccan desert. Years later, it was a stray bullet that lodged in his brain... Bazil doesn't have much luck with weapons. The first made him an orphan, the second holds him on the brink of sudden, instant death. Released from the hospital after his accident, Bazil is homeless. Luckily, our inspired and gentle-natured dreamer is quickly taken in by a motley crew of junkyard dealers living in a veritable Ali Baba's cave. The group‟s talents and aspirations are as surprising as they are diverse. With their help he sets out on a mission of revenge, with the help of his faithful gang of wacky friends.

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=193186&d=1291485176

The first thing I did once 'Micmacs' finished was google what it meant. Nowhere in the movie did a see or hear (OK it's in French with English subtitles, and I hardly speak English, let alone French) the word 'Micmacs', so I was really curious to its definition. Besides learning that Micmac are Native Canadian people inhabiting Nova Scotia, I found that Director Jean-Pierre Jeunet said that its french title 'Micmacs Ã* tire-larigot', would roughly mean "Non-stop shenanigans" in English. In retrospect it's a perfect title.

French Director Jean-Pierre Jeunet is very stylistic to say the least, and the look/feel of this film is akin to his early cult favorites, The City of Lost Children and Delicatessen. He had his chance at big budget Hollywood with the less than stellar Alien Resurrection and hit it out of the park with acclaimed film, Amélie.

With 'Micmacs', Jean-Pierre Jeunet sucks us into the fantastical world or Bazil (Danny Boon) the video store clerk. While working, Bazil hears gunfire outside the store; he investigates and gets caught in the crossfire. He is left with a bullet lodged in his brain, forever on the brink of death, loses his job and ends up homeless.

Tragic huh?

Well Bazil keeps his head up and grifts his way to a band of unlikely characters who live in a junkyard. The crew consists of a human cannonball, a contortionist, a mathematical genius and a few other oddball yet charming characters. The crew ends up working on a insane plot that is motivated by revenge, utilizing their creative tools to pit two rival arms manufactures against one another..

It was almost overly stylized, but it was fresh and always kept me on my toes. 'Micmacs' felt like, do I dare to say... slightly Terry Gilliam-esque meets (My favorite movie) 'The Sting'. There is quite a bit going on plot-wise, and things do get bogged down in the middle, but eventually spring back to life for the final act. I don't want to go into too much detail on the plot as a lot of my enjoyment came from having no idea what I was getting into...Go for it, it sure is a fun flick with some action, laughs and a big heart.

Parental Guide:

Rated R for sexuality, brief nudity, and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 90

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373694

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373698

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

Video: 90

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373697

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373698

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373698

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=121037369
attachment.php?attachmentid=193185&d=1291485176'Micmacs' scams its way to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 26.5 mbps and DTS-HD MA 5.1 Surround Sound that has an average bitrate of 2.9 mbps.

'Micmacs' colors are off. Intentionally off. A golden hue covers every frame and skin-tones look like they were spray-tanned with orange rinds. But its OK, because director Jean-Pierre Jeunet did it intentionally and it fits the weird world he has created here. Besides that qualm, it's gorgeous. Sharp and detailed, at times there was an extra dimensional separation between with forefront and background images. Black level and shadow detail were superb and I noticed no artificial processing as there was a light veil of grain peeking its head through. The sound design was fun, dynamic and boisterous. It really was an entity in and of itself. The world of 'Micmacs' sound-scape is all encompassing, filling the room with ambiance and effects throughout the film. The films artillery fires with aplomb, delivering some nice dynamics to the already superb soundtrack. Another highly recommended release from Sony.

To those with Constant Height set-ups: Subtitles appear within the video image.

Bonus Features:

• Commentary with Director Jean-Pierre Jeunet

• (HD) The Making of Micmacs

• (HD) Q & A with Director Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Actress Julie Ferrier

• (HD) Animations: Absurd Deaths

• (HD) Theatrical Trailer

• (HD) Trailers: Animal Kingdom, Lebanon, Please Give, I Get Low, Mother and Child, A Woman A Gun and A Noodle Soup, Inside job, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Tamara Drewe, You Will Meet A Tall Dark Stranger

• BD Live enabled

Final Thoughts:

Don't get me wrong here, 'Micmacs' is a weird movie, but I'm a weird guy and I dug it. If you love fantastical characters in a strange world that looks and feel just like ours, you will enjoy this screwball caper. The movie has heart, a moral and some messages against big busniess, and pro-environment. None of it is preachy and as quirky as it is, 'Micmacs' world feels strangely comfortable. An off tinge but noteworthy video presentation coupled with a unique and aggressive sound design makes it all the more interesting. This comes recommended, however, it is not for vanilla mainstream moviegoers, but those with an open-mind will be rewarded. Be warned, it is in French with English subtitles.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157497&d=1257542613

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Custom 1.3 Gain 128" 2.37:1 CinemaScope Screen
Denon AVR-4311CI Receiver
Pioneer Elite BDP-23FD Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Triangle Zerius Speakers (7.1)
SVS PC13-Ultra Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-02-2011, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Funny - we call them "Native Canadian".
post #3 of 7 Old 01-02-2011, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

Funny - we call them "Native Canadian".

You got me there

Changed it...
post #4 of 7 Old 01-03-2011, 02:02 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Greetings,

Interesting. Thanks Lee..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #5 of 7 Old 01-03-2011, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm glad you enjoyed it, Lee.

Micmacs was a pleasant surprise for me. Jeunet has such an imagination and it's good to see something that isn't predictable and lacking in original ideas. I loved Amelie and A Very Long Engagement too.

The French Region B import of A Very Long Engagement is excellent quality for any Jeunet fans out there. It's a complex plot and he teams up with Audrey Tautou once more.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-04-2011, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks, Lee. Love your reviews. I look forward to sticking this one in my BD player when I get the chance.

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #7 of 7 Old 01-06-2011, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post

Thanks, Lee. Love your reviews. I look forward to sticking this one in my BD player when I get the chance.

Thanks Graphicguy. Much appreciated!
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Micmacs Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page