Disney's WOW: World of Wonder (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 692 Old 03-16-2012, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've learned a lot reading through this forum on using the WOW disc I got so thanks everyone on the help and suggestions. Have a question regarding setting the speaker levels to 83db and want to make sure I'm doing it right. Have a Pioneer VSX-1021-K and manual states when setting the MCACC (their auto speaker adjustment tool) manually for speaker level the base volume is 0db. So I would take that to mean the master volume for the receiver is set to 0db right? I then just adjust the levels of each speaker so they read 83db on my sound meter and that's it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 692 Old 03-16-2012, 04:52 PM

yup and yup.
post #333 of 692 Old 03-16-2012, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toeknail View Post

Thanks. If the laser is out of alignment, why would every other blu ray, dvd or PS3 game play ok? I understand that the Disney WOW disc has a ton of data on it, but don't the PS3 games also (like Modern Warfare 3 or Battlefield Earth)?

It could be the way the disc was manufactured, that's why I would try it in another player. Years ago I had a DVD that refused to play in a Sony DVD player, but would play in every other player I used (and every other disc I tried worked in the Sony player). Who was at fault? Hard to say where the problem was.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #334 of 692 Old 03-17-2012, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
This is a very unusual issue.

Did you try the following?

* Have you tried the disc on another BD Player?

* Have you updated your firmware on the BD Plater recently?

* Have you tried cleaning the disc with a Microfiber Cloth to assure there are no smudges or fingerprints on it? On rare occasion, I have seen this cause an issue with discs before.

Quote:

I also can not get my PS3 to play Disney WOW or even recognize that it exists. Never had a problem with any any other discs. The Visions disc plays just fine. I am on my 2nd disc now (Disney sent me a replacement which I got yesterday, that one won't load either). This is frustrating. Any solutions out there?

Richard J. Casey

Disney WOW - World of Wonder

Producers Guild of America, New Media Council
(BD Industry Insider)
post #335 of 692 Old 03-17-2012, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmr2012 View Post

I've learned a lot reading through this forum on using the WOW disc I got so thanks everyone on the help and suggestions. Have a question regarding setting the speaker levels to 83db and want to make sure I'm doing it right. Have a Pioneer VSX-1021-K and manual states when setting the MCACC (their auto speaker adjustment tool) manually for speaker level the base volume is 0db. So I would take that to mean the master volume for the receiver is set to 0db right? I then just adjust the levels of each speaker so they read 83db on my sound meter and that's it?

I guess this has not been explained to me, what does setting your AVR to 0 accomplish? I set my Denon master volume -20 and balanced my speakers to 83 dB, the fronts needed a +7 dB boost and the rears +9 dB. If I had started at a master volume of -10 then theoretically I probably would have needed to cut the fronts by -3 dB etc. If I had started at 0 then the trims would have increased to -13 dB etc. so I am not sure what the benefit is. As long as everything in the system is balanced to 83 dB (subwoofer 86 dB) what difference does it make where you start from?

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #336 of 692 Old 03-17-2012, 10:08 AM

Liked: 18
Good question... i usually listen between -20 and -30, does that mean i should cal using those numbers???
post #337 of 692 Old 03-18-2012, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Typically, 0 db on your AVR is used for Reference Level at 83 db on your SPL with proper calibration tones. That is how I calibrate mine. I have seen some people use 77 db and even 75 db for Reference as well.

After experimenting with all three (3) levels, I personally use 83 db for Reference at a 0 db setting on my AVR. This seems to work best overall.

Listening at a a lower volume is fine ... I typically listen to my system at a setting of -10 db to - 5 db on my AVR if I am "engaged" in the film ... which means I am actually watching a seriously good film on Blu-ray.

I watch TV, or chic flick when my GF whines enough about wanting to watch one, at a different level. Typically, this a less engaging type of viewing experience for me, so I set the volume to -15 db to -20 db. I am often just watching something like Top Gear or a Documentary on or some other program on the BBC-HD or Nat Geo HD Channel in a more casual mode.

However, 0 db / 83 db - Reference Level will assure you are within the design limits of your system and avoid any "clipping" or "overdrive" of the pre-amp stage or amp stage of your AVR.

Ideally, for best results and ideal performance, I always try to operate my equipment in the sweet spot of its design parameters. Achieving harmony between the pre-amplification stage and the amplification stage and having just the right amount of drive in each stage can make a difference in sound quality.

Not enough drive or too much drive can affect performance and sound quality of both solid state and tube components. Electronics can be funny that way.

At least that has been my experience over the years ... but I am a constant tweaker / tester of gear ... so I am used to noticing such differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

I guess this has not been explained to me, what does setting your AVR to 0 accomplish? I set my Denon master volume -20 and balanced my speakers to 83 dB, the fronts needed a +7 dB boost and the rears +9 dB. If I had started at a master volume of -10 then theoretically I probably would have needed to cut the fronts by -3 dB etc. If I had started at 0 then the trims would have increased to -13 dB etc. so I am not sure what the benefit is. As long as everything in the system is balanced to 83 dB (subwoofer 86 dB) what difference does it make where you start from?

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #338 of 692 Old 03-26-2012, 01:35 PM

Does anybody know the difference between the two Blu-ray releases of WOW at Walmart?
http://www.walmart.com/search/search...h_constraint=0

Besides the fact that one's being released on 4/13 and is $8 less??
post #339 of 692 Old 03-26-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranZella View Post

Does anybody know the difference between the two Blu-ray releases of WOW at Walmart?
http://www.walmart.com/search/search...h_constraint=0

Besides the fact that one's being released on 4/13 and is $8 less??

FROM ABOVE

HH
post #340 of 692 Old 03-26-2012, 06:06 PM

WOW worked fine on my PS3. Is your software up to date?

Bought and used the WOW bluray with my Mitsubishi 1080P projector. I have to agree that this disk is better than Avia and a few others I have tried. Better explanations and much better navigation through the disk. Plus, no more talk of CRT sets like with the old Avia disk! That used to drive me crazy. They would go on forever about CRT clipping, etc. Obviously an old disk!

I turned off all image enhancements and the brightness setting ended up at the max setting. This is using Low power mode in a totally darkened home theater. Does that sound right? Max brightness? Contrast was high also at 20 out of 30 max. The picture looks fine. Probably a little better than with my previous settings, so perhaps it is correct. I just was not expecting to max out the any setting. I'm guessing its the result of using the low power setting, which is a lot quieter.

The Visions disk was kind of a joke wasn't it? Or am I missing something here?

I would love to see a calibration disk that goes into a little bit about what the various image enhancements do and do not do. I know every brand TV is different, but there is so little information out there, even from manufacturers, about what these functions are supposed to do.

Are some seeing better results using the audio portion of WOW than with the Audissey? I've never been that satisfied with my Denon self calibration.
post #341 of 692 Old 04-03-2012, 04:15 PM

Liked: 11
Out of interest... what Sound Level Meter would you recommend using with the Disney WOW disc?

What model of Radio Shack?
post #342 of 692 Old 04-04-2012, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Galaxy Audio CM-140 Check Mate Battery Operated SPL Meter. I find this meter to be surprisingly accurate for the money.

However, the Radio Shack meter works well.

No matter which Meter you use, it must have a setting for "Type C" weighting.

Make sure you use Type C Weighting when performing your calibration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman7 View Post

Out of interest... what Sound Level Meter would you recommend using with the Disney WOW disc?

What model of Radio Shack?

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #343 of 692 Old 04-04-2012, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFilms View Post

Galaxy Audio CM-140 Check Mate Battery Operated SPL Meter. I find this meter to be surprisingly accurate for the money.

However, the Radio Shack meter works well.

No matter which Meter you use, it must have a setting for "Type C" weighting.

Make sure you use Type C Weighting when performing your calibration.

Thank you. Do you prefer the analogue ones or the digital ones?
post #344 of 692 Old 04-04-2012, 09:36 AM

Thanks for the responses/suggestions, and sorry for my late reply (I didn't realize these responses were here until now).

I do not have access to another Bluray player, so I haven't tried the disc in any other players. My PS3 is updated with the latest available updates. I may try contacting Disney again to see if they'll swap this out with a regular DVD, rather than the bluray version. I will keep you posted.
post #345 of 692 Old 04-04-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Either one works...I prefer the digital as I find it easier to read accurately ... and I use slow response so I get an average instead of a peak reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman7 View Post

Thank you. Do you prefer the analogue ones or the digital ones?

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #346 of 692 Old 04-05-2012, 02:26 AM

Quote:

Either one works...I prefer the digital as I find it easier to read accurately ... and I use slow response so I get an average instead of a peak reading.

Many thanks Richard. I'm gonna try and source one.
post #347 of 692 Old 04-13-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

Thanks for the responses/suggestions, and sorry for my late reply (I didn't realize these responses were here until now).

I do not have access to another Bluray player, so I haven't tried the disc in any other players. My PS3 is updated with the latest available updates. I may try contacting Disney again to see if they'll swap this out with a regular DVD, rather than the bluray version. I will keep you posted.

Very seldom, I have encountered a blu that will not play in my ps3 slim. One example was the sapphire ed. of Gladiator (yeah the f'd up PQ one). There was no apparent visible damage to the disc. I then ordered the UK version and it not only plays, it has a pristine look as others will say.

You just might have a defective WoW disc......

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #348 of 692 Old 04-14-2012, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 45
@ R&B films,
I re-calibrated my Integra DHC 40.1 last night by using an SPL meter. I found that, although the levels seemed more accurate thru each speaker, the sound was noticeably harsher in my room than when I turned Audyssey back on. It really was a win-win because I now have the surround evolvement that I was craving for, and with the benefit of using Audyssey to fix the horrible problems my room has. YMMV! It DOES sound better now

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #349 of 692 Old 04-24-2012, 08:01 AM

Liked: 13
I have been tinkering with the WOW calibration DVD over the past few days. I really appreciate how easy it is to use. But then I got thinking about a few aspects.

1) My BD source is an HTPC BD-ROM drive. I use TMT5 mostly.
2) This BD source is connected to a AVR just like all other sources of video (DirecTV). And the AVR ouputs one signal to the monitor.

So what settings should I be using on TMT5 and AVR to get cleanest signal to my G20 plasma before I can even calibrate the video?

The AVR too has video output settings.

The reason I am asking this is because apparently I can be at 100% brightness on my TV and still not see the some of the "ideal black" and "ideal white" that I am aiming for.

Thanks
post #350 of 692 Old 04-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Hello,

Possibly RBFilms can confirm this:

I've got my mains in a bi-amp configuration with stereo subs. I've got each main x-over at 80hz. Each sub "supposedly" received the subsequent lower frequencies below this xover point.

When I run the 5.1 Speaker Level Calibration, I notice the test tone is only heard on my Main speakers. For comparison, the Rattle noise test of 20-120hz gets sent to both the main and stereo subs.

My question is, is this test tone for 5.1 Speaker Level test outputting in full range so shouldn't I hear the test tone sent to the mains and the stereo subs?

Thanks,

See Profile
post #351 of 692 Old 04-27-2012, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Picked up a copy of this the other day and am now looking forward to playing around with it a bit.

Thanks for the reveiw, Ralph!

oz
post #352 of 692 Old 04-28-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

This depends on what tones you are using, how your system is wired, and running and how your AVR is setup.

The pink noise for Channel ID & Levels would not be noticeable in your sub. Only the Sub / LFE tone would be heard clearly in your LFE / Sub.

There is a separate calibration tone on the Disney WOW disc for setting your LFE / Subwoofer.

Are you NOT hearing your Sub when you run the LFE / Subwoofer tone in the Speaker Calibration section of the disc?

If that is the case, you may have your LFE / Sub or AVR settings adjusted incorrectly. You should hear the LFE / Sub when running the LFE / Sub test tone.

Do you have speakers set to large?

Depending on your satellite speakers and their frequency range, you may have your Mains set to Small or Large.

My Surround Speakers are Gallo A'Diva Ti's which are rated to be fairly flat to 76Hz. I use the Large setting my AVR even though they are tiny satellites ... it clearly sounds better to me that way. I seem to always get better results running the Large setting on the AVR.

If you cannot hear the Pink Noise for your 5 main channels in the LFE / Sub, that is normal. You need to play the LFE / Sub calibration tone to adjust the LFE / Sub level as per the instructions in the DIsney WOW Calibration Instructions on the Disc and in the Booklet.

Let me know if this answer resolves any concerns you may have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido View Post

Hello,

Possibly RBFilms can confirm this:

I've got my mains in a bi-amp configuration with stereo subs. I've got each main x-over at 80hz. Each sub "supposedly" received the subsequent lower frequencies below this xover point.

When I run the 5.1 Speaker Level Calibration, I notice the test tone is only heard on my Main speakers. For comparison, the Rattle noise test of 20-120hz gets sent to both the main and stereo subs.

My question is, is this test tone for 5.1 Speaker Level test outputting in full range so shouldn't I hear the test tone sent to the mains and the stereo subs?

Thanks,

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #353 of 692 Old 05-06-2012, 10:43 AM

Hello
I just got the WOW disk this week. When I ordered it, it was listed as the 2012 version. However, on the back lower corner it says '2010 Blu-Ray release'. After looking at any information I can find on the WEB, this does have a slightly different cover on the case. It is a single disk with a UPC code of "7 86936 80657 1". Whats the difference between versions? Do I have the newest version?

Cheers
Willy
post #354 of 692 Old 05-06-2012, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have Disney WOW 2-disc blu-ray version for sale..used only once. If interested please PM me...I reside in CA bay area.
post #355 of 692 Old 05-09-2012, 03:48 AM
AVS Special Member

As posted previously.

There is only One (1) version of the Disney WOW Disc itself. The "new release" is simply a packaging change.

The cover design has updated artwork and The 56 Page Booklet has been eliminated and replaced by a 4 page pamphlet. The instructions on the disc are exactly the same as the 56 Page book. The new 4 Page Booklet has a few tips on calibrating and basic instructions on how to get started.

The disc itself is exactly the same.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by badwilly View Post

Hello
I just got the WOW disk this week. When I ordered it, it was listed as the 2012 version. However, on the back lower corner it says '2010 Blu-Ray release'. After looking at any information I can find on the WEB, this does have a slightly different cover on the case. It is a single disk with a UPC code of "7 86936 80657 1". Whats the difference between versions? Do I have the newest version?

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #356 of 692 Old 05-09-2012, 11:05 AM

Great. I got the newest one. Interesting that Amazon wants a bit more when actually there is less packaging. I tried the disk in my Samsung 3D player but had sound dropouts. Moved the Disk to the retail slot of the Sony changer and it played perfectly.
As a side note, I still enjoy your Nature's Journey on my Toshiba HD-DVD.

Quote:

As posted previously.

There is only One (1) version of the Disney WOW Disc itself. The "new release" is simply a packaging change.

The cover design has updated artwork and The 56 Page Booklet has been eliminated and replaced by a 4 page pamphlet. The instructions on the disc are exactly the same as the 56 Page book. The new 4 Page Booklet has a few tips on calibrating and basic instructions on how to get started.

The disc itself is exactly the same.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Rich

Cheers
Willy
post #357 of 692 Old 05-12-2012, 03:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Have you tried a different HDMI Cable with your Samsung? It sounds like you may be experiencing some connection issues with your Samsung and the HDMI Cable you are using.

Was the Sony a 3D Player as well?

You should be using an HDMI 1.4a cable ... especially for a 3D Player. Anything less may have issues depending on the quality of the cable.

Try using a higher spec cable that you know meets the HDMI 1.4a spec and let me know if the problem goes away.

If you have trouble finding a good 1.4a cable for a reasonable price, please send me a PM. I will be happy to share some info on where to buy professional grade, extremely high quality, HDMI 1.4a cables for a very low price.

Thank you for supporting our us with the purchase of Nature's Journey. As quirky as that titles is to some people, we try our best to put out high performance programming using quality source material with super high video encode bit rates and uncompressed audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badwilly View Post

Great. I got the newest one. Interesting that Amazon wants a bit more when actually there is less packaging. I tried the disk in my Samsung 3D player but had sound dropouts. Moved the Disk to the retail slot of the Sony changer and it played perfectly.
As a side note, I still enjoy your Nature's Journey on my Toshiba HD-DVD.

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #358 of 692 Old 05-13-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:

Have you tried a different HDMI Cable with your Samsung? It sounds like you may be experiencing some connection issues with your Samsung and the HDMI Cable you are using.

Was the Sony a 3D Player as well?

You should be using an HDMI 1.4a cable ... especially for a 3D Player. Anything less may have issues depending on the quality of the cable.

Try using a higher spec cable that you know meets the HDMI 1.4a spec and let me know if the problem goes away.

If you have trouble finding a good 1.4a cable for a reasonable price, please send me a PM. I will be happy to share some info on where to buy professional grade, extremely high quality, HDMI 1.4a cables for a very low price.

Thank you for supporting our us with the purchase of Nature's Journey. As quirky as that titles is to some people, we try our best to put out high performance programming using quality source material with super high video encode bit rates and uncompressed audio.

I am using high quality 1.4a cables through out the system. The Sony changer is not 3D. Wish it was but it appears Sony won"t do any more changers at all. Maybe Samsung has a bug that will be fixed in next firmware. All the 3D disks and movie blurays have played with no problems including 24P. As a reference, the receiver is a Denon AVR-A100.

Cheers
Willy
post #359 of 692 Old 05-16-2012, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi all,
I need a favor from anyone that has a WOW disk and an Optoma HD33 projector.
On my pj if I run the advanced scaling test #2 under advanced display evaluation tools I get a black vertical line in the center of the picture. This appears if sharpness is set above 7. If this is normal I don't want to send the pj to Optoma.

thanks
td
post #360 of 692 Old 06-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Any tips on using WOW to setup a 3D projector viewing environment? I would think you do a basic 2D cal...then with glasses on attempt to set brightness/contrast? How do you test and adapt for color shift?

Derek
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Disney Wow World Of Wonder Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Disney by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page