Disney's WOW: World of Wonder (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 671 Old 06-14-2012, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 114
This forum has been a very interesting read, I'm excited to say that I'm excited to be tweaking again. biggrin.gif

My entire HT setup is new:
Panasonic TC-P65GT50 (but returning it for the VT50)
Panasonic BDT-320 blu ray player
Denon 4311CI AVR
Denon 2930CI DVD for audio disks only, connected to 4311 via DenonLink
Philharmonic 2 fronts, Philharmonic center (I will pick them up sometime in July)
Rythmik FV15HP subwoofer (should arrive early July)
various other gear - Logitech Squeezebox Touch, WDTV HD Live +, Google TV, Wii
everything runs through my AVR, one HDMI cable from AVR to display

all in a whopping 5500 cubic foot basement just remodeled

My current speakers are Infinity Interludes that I've had for about 13 years, sad to retire them, excited for planar midrange, ribbon tweeter and accuracy in the Philharmonics. I will keep the IL40's for surrounds. When the 4311 arrived I first tweaked my system by ear, then with Audyssey XT32 and I must say I was extremely pleased with the difference for HT (I don't use any processing for 2 channel or multi channel audio). That said, being an old geek I look forward to starting new when the speakers arrive and following your instructions Richard, I've just ordered the WOW disk.

Based on the diagrams provided my subwoofer will be placed very near to the ideal distance listed, but I believe it may be a bit closer. Due to placement the sub will be at 90 degrees from listening position (about 12' from speakers) and pointed to the wide end of the room, to the right of my HT setup and approximately 7' wide is my bar area, sub will be on the left wall. One brief question that I am pondering, what degrading impact might I experience if the sub distance is closer than recommended?

I'm also curious whether you've any experience with the 2012 Panasonic plasmas? While THX modes are stellar on the GT50 I am not pleased with other modes (Custom is really the only other I've used) and why I am returning for the VT (also now the same price I paid for the GT). If you or anyone else has settings to share using WOW that would be appreciated.

I'll definitely report back in a month or so. For now I'd just like to say "Yippee!".

Thanks much for your expertise and willingness to share.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 671 Old 06-18-2012, 01:25 PM

Liked: 10
I wonder if this disc could be used with a PAL TV or in other words is there still something like a PAL and NTSC differenz with mordern HDTVs?
The reason I ask is that Amazon Germany has the following Details posted: Format: NTSC, Farbe, Widescreen, Blu-ray
Which irritated me, I hope someone can help.
post #363 of 671 Old 06-20-2012, 10:56 AM

So I have a question in regards to audio calibration. Let me disclose first that I've been using the iPhone app "db meter pro" in attemping this. I hav been able to calibrate all of my speakers to 83db, but when I try to do the LFE, it feels like its too much, so I back it off. Thin is the LFE is only showing 56-57 db on the meter. I'm assuming I'm supposed to take this reading from my seating position. The system is an Yahama yht-895bl. Thanks
Dan
post #364 of 671 Old 06-20-2012, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_dan View Post

So I have a question in regards to audio calibration. Let me disclose first that I've been using the iPhone app "db meter pro" in attemping this. I hav been able to calibrate all of my speakers to 83db, but when I try to do the LFE, it feels like its too much, so I back it off. Thin is the LFE is only showing 56-57 db on the meter. I'm assuming I'm supposed to take this reading from my seating position. The system is an Yahama yht-895bl. Thanks
Dan

I also tried the db meter pro on my iPad. IMO-it's not close to being accurate. The microphone on the iPad is no-way even close to being "accurate" for frequency response readings. It's a general purpose mic. Buy a SPL meter from Amazon. You can get a decent one for ~$60. Obviously, a SPL meter is designed for accurate sound level readings. Yes-all readings should be taken from the same spot--your "sweet spot" centered chair you use for viewing your screen. If your Yamaha has an automated setup procedure, read the book and follow the instructions for it's use.
post #365 of 671 Old 06-22-2012, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I just received my copy of WoW. A lot of good test patterns. I have no problem with any setup procedure except one--I can't get anywhere close to setting the gamma cross-over to 2.2. The closest I seem to be able to achieve is 1.6-1.8. I've done a search on this thread to see if anybody has this problem. I saw a couple of responses for plasma tv's. Mine is a Sony NX810 LED/LCD. Has anybody else here (that has an LCD screen) had this problem? If so, what solution did you come to? Aside from this, this tv has an absolutely wonderful, high quality picture. No complaints at all.
post #366 of 671 Old 06-22-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toeknail View Post

I also can not get my PS3 to play Disney WOW or even recognize that it exists. Never had a problem with any any other discs. The Visions disc plays just fine. I am on my 2nd disc now (Disney sent me a replacement which I got yesterday, that one won't load either). This is frustrating. Any solutions out there?

I just received a copy from Amazon, and I have the same problem reading disk 1 on my Panasonic DMD-BD30, disk 2 is fine. I've tried disk 1 numerous times, and updated the firmware to the latest level, but no success. I've never had a bluray disk that I couldn't read before.

I then tried it on a neighbor's LG player, and no problem, so it appears that my player just can't cope with it.

UPDATE: I picked up an LG BD220 at Walmart for $68. It has no problem reading the calibration disk,

VicW
post #367 of 671 Old 06-27-2012, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

I'm having a very odd issue with the WOW disc and would really appreciate some guidance.
My setup:
Panasonic DMP-BDT320 Blu-ray player
Yamaha RX-V473 receiver
Panasonic VT50 plasma

Connections: Blu-ray player to receiver via HDMI. Out to television via HDMI.

I've calibrated audio sync before with no problems, but with this setup, I'm stumped. The audio sync test is showing that audio is early (-99 milliseconds, based on where the "sound line" is hitting when the test tone plays). Okay, no problem. So I try setting the audio delay on the receiver, but no matter where I set it (from 1-250 milliseconds), the test pattern basically doesn't change. So I tried setting audio delay via the Blu-ray player--with the same result. I've been able to do an audio sync adjustment before with no problems, so I have no idea why adjustments with this new setup don't seem to be working. Now I know the answer here is something incredibly simple that I'm missing, but I'm frustrated to the point that public embarrassment is a small penalty to pay in exchange for advice.
post #368 of 671 Old 07-03-2012, 12:38 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_dan View Post

Dan
I use my Iphone for reference too. I compared it to a dB meter we had in the office and it was a little bit off showed lower by 1-2 dB. However with that being the case I could check the balance in relationship to each other. For the Sub I found that if I used an Ap such as RA Lite which gives you readings by band you can look at the sub 32hrz band and see its response to the sub and use that curve to help you set/check your sub. It’s also cool to use when you do frequency sweeps to see what the meter reads that your ears can't hear.
post #369 of 671 Old 07-24-2012, 06:09 AM

Is this blu ray region free. Im in australia. Some sites say it is. Im looking at this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DISNEY-WOW-WORLD-WONDER-NEW-BLURAY-/290739464392?pt=AU_Movies_Movies_TV_Shows&hash=item43b16c28c8.

Ebay user is based in australia but says region A??? Ive emailed the user but i've been lied to on ebay before so after secondary confirmation
Also my tv arrived today. Do i have to run this calibration from the get go or can i use tv while im waiting for it to arrive in post
post #370 of 671 Old 07-31-2012, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Disney WOW - World of Wonder

Region ABC or Region All ... it will play anywhere in the world.

I am the Executive Producer and Producer / Director of this disc. I can warranty that the information I am posting is accurate & correct.

Rich Casey
Nethawk likes this.

Richard J. Casey

Producers Guild of America, New Media Council
(BD Industry Insider)
post #371 of 671 Old 07-31-2012, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

The pattern on Disney WOW is for evaluation only.

Are you going in to the service menu and accessing the proper controls to adjust Gamma?

You cannot and should not try to adjust Gamma without the proper tools and training.

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #372 of 671 Old 07-31-2012, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

The iphone does not have the frequency response to properly calibrate your system ... especially the subwoofer. You need a decent SPL Meter with a C Weighted option to properly calibrate your system.
Nethawk likes this.

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #373 of 671 Old 08-08-2012, 05:06 AM

ty RBFILMS. I have purchased from disneys wow from amazon just awaiting delivery to australia
post #374 of 671 Old 08-15-2012, 12:53 AM

Liked: 14
Does the new 2012 version comes with the blue filter?
post #375 of 671 Old 08-16-2012, 10:39 PM
Troll

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fegam View Post

Does the new 2012 version comes with the blue filter?

something i want to know too! that and what the differences are
post #376 of 671 Old 08-19-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

There is no new version as far as the disc is concerned.

They are all the same except for a minor revision to the outer packaging and a 4 page booklet instead of a 56 page booklet in the package.

They all come with a Blue Filter...yes.

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #377 of 671 Old 08-19-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Double DIsc Version

(2 Disc Version of Disney WOW)

Includes WOW disc + Visions Disc + 56 Page Booklet + Disney Rewards Coupon + Blue Gel + Embossed / Foil O-Card/

Single Disc Version
(1 Disc Version of Disney WOW)

Disney Version - 4 Page Booklet with revised printed outer wrap.

R&B Films Version - 56 Page Booklet with the original style printed outer wrap.

---

They both have the exact same WOW Disc disc in the package.

They both have they exact same Blu FIlter on the package.

They both have a Disney Rewards Coupon in the package.

They are both Region A/B/C and will play anywhere in the world.

Both "Single Disc" versions sell for about $18.00 to $20.00 via Amazon Marketplace resellers.

Hope that helps.
Nethawk likes this.

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #378 of 671 Old 08-20-2012, 01:12 AM

Thank you for answering my question. I have already order my copy of the 2 disc set because I want to have the 56 page booklet. Looking foward to calibrate the sony HX850 I just bought yesterday. I live in central america and in my country Honduras, you cannot find people to calibrate tvs profesonally, so your only option is do it yourself the best you can. I have the Spears & Munsil High-Definition Benchmark Blu-ray and its very good but I'm confident that disney WOW will be even better. If I have doubts about the calibration I'll post my questions in this forum. Thanks again...
post #379 of 671 Old 08-20-2012, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, please feel free to contact me via our website or in the forum if you have any issues or concerns.

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #380 of 671 Old 08-28-2012, 01:11 AM

Hi Richard, Maybe you can help with this post i made in the xx13 denon recievers forum:

I'm new to the forum so bare with me and my imperfect english (my native language is spanish). I replacing my 11 years old sony speakers and sub and my 5 year old sony str-dg810 receiver. I just bought the Energy Take Classic 5.1 home theater but i´m not sure about what receiver to buy. My room is small (3 x 5 meters) and I need the receiver for gaming on xbox / PS3 and for watching blu-rays. I dont really need 7.1, networking, airplay or zone 2. My budget is around $350 for the most, because I'm from Honduras, Central America and here the custom taxes are brutal, anything I buy in amazon is at the end of the day like 90% more of the original cost and you can forget about returning a problematic unit. (to expensive to send back). For what I have read in forums and expert reviews, sony recievers doesn't sound that good and onkio recievers don't last that long, so I narrowed my options to the Yamaha RV-X473 otr the Denon AVR-1613. In my country the only receivers you can find are 2011 pioneer or sony.

I like the Denon over the Yamaha but there is one thing that is holding me back, when I was about to buy the Denon 1612 I read in hometheater.com that this receiver fail the clipping test and there for it clipped above-white and below-black. The yamaha 2011 RV-X371 past all the video test. So in conclusion my question are:

1. Does this problem continue with the 2012 AVR-1613 or it has been solved?. I'm not a audiophile but I'm a semipro videophile. I always calibrate my tvs with the Spears & Munsil Blu-ray disc and now I´m waiting for the Disney WOW calibration Blu-ray to arrive to calibrate my Sony HX-850 and I need the receiver not to Clip above white and below black. I know that other 2012 denons fail the chroma resolution test, do you now how the 1613 performed is this area?

2. In your experience, how good is the HDMI video pass-through on the denon receivers and how good is the quality of the hdmi board (I'm looking for a receiver that will last me at least another 5 years without the HDMI OUT or any of the HDMI INN ports failing me)

3. Is the Audyssey MultEQ better that Ypao? does the Audyssey Dynamic Volume and DynamicEQ funtion as they intend to? Does the Audyssey MultEQ works when the sound field is set to pure direct (so as to listen the sound as recorder originally in blu-rays)?

4. I 'm plannig of buying the reciever in the amazon warehouse market place (Used as New or Very Good). Do any of you now how reliable is to buy it there used?

Thanks for putting with me this long and I'll be looking for some answers that help me decide.
post #381 of 671 Old 09-03-2012, 11:49 PM

Liked: 20
I bought and used this calibration disc, going through the novice and advanced calibrations.

I can't stand the final result. I calibrated perfectly following instructions to a t.

The picture now looks like a cheap CRT picture! Too much color, everything scene like it was filmed under an entire bank of spotlights. I didn't record my original settings, so reset everything based upon recollection and trial and error.

I invested half an hour or more calibrating and just felt let down at the final result.
post #382 of 671 Old 09-04-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi,

Any Blu-ray Player connected to an HDTV will work. Blu-ray connected to an HDTV will work fine with DIsney WOW anywhere in the world.

The disc is Region ABC or Region all. It will play on any BD Player in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesmann View Post

I wonder if this disc could be used with a PAL TV or in other words is there still something like a PAL and NTSC differenz with mordern HDTVs?
The reason I ask is that Amazon Germany has the following Details posted: Format: NTSC, Farbe, Widescreen, Blu-ray
Which irritated me, I hope someone can help.

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #383 of 671 Old 09-04-2012, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Clearly, something is wrong.

The picture should NOT look Bright & Over Saturated at all. If anything, the most common complaint is that the picture looks darker ... mostly due to correct black levels and the elimination of white clipping.

Alos, you may have chosen the wrong MODE ... which it sounds like you did. WARM 2 or Movie Mode provides the best results.

I would suggest you go through it again using the correct MODE & SETTINGS as indicated below ... and CAREFULLY follow the instructions.

To help you out, here are some recommendations for you:

Disney WOW World of Wonder
Beginner and Advanced
HDTV Calibration Instructions

Before you begin

On some HDTVs, you may notice a limited range of adjustment. This is by design on the part of the HDTV manufacturer. These limits avoid pushing the HDTV too far beyond ideal levels. Do not be concerned about the inability to exceed the limits indicated on the WOW test patterns. Your HDTV can be calibrated perfectly within the given range of adjustment.

SHARPNESS: The WOW Sharpness Tool is for very fine adjustment of your HDTV Sharpness setting. You must be very close to your HDTV in order to accurately calibrate Sharpness using this tool. Typically, a distance of 1 to 2 feet is recommended. Often, the correct Sharpness setting will be in the lower scale between 0% and 25% of the total adjustment range.

Using certain inputs on your HDTV, like “PC,” may restrict the number of adjustments you can make to your HDTV. For more information, please refer to your HDTV owner’s manual or contact your HDTV manufacturer’s customer service department.

The EXPERT section is not covered in this booklet.

This section is for use by Calibration Professionals and Studio Engineers. Without the proper equipment and experience, you may not be able to properly utilize all of the tests, demonstrations, or tools in this section.

Let’s Get Started

To calibrate your HDTV using WOW, follow these easy steps:
1. Select OPTIMIZE from the Main Menu
2. Select your skill level (BEGINNER, ADVANCED or EXPERT)

BEGINNER:

Select VIDEO to Optimize your HDTV

Select INTRODUCTION for basic instructions on how to use the Calibration Tools to optimize your HDTV. Please press ENTER after reading the instructions to return to the BEGINNER Test Menu.

Choose the item you wish to calibrate (brightness, contrast, etc.).
For each item, you can select:
- DESCRIPTION to hear a description of the test
- INSTRUCTIONS to see/hear what the test pattern should look like
- CALIBRATE NOW to perform the actual calibration*
*Please refer to the HOW TO CALIBRATE VIDEO section of this Instruction Booklet.

Select AUDIO to Optimize your SOUND

This section is for use with sound systems using external speakers and an Audio/Video Receiver. Select INTRODUCTION to learn more about optimizing your SOUND. Please refer to your Audio/Video Receiver owner’s manual for details on how to adjust speaker CONFIGURATION, LEVEL and DISTANCE settings.

Choose the Sound System you wish to calibrate (Stereo, 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1).

- CALIBRATE to perform the actual calibration*

* Some Audio Tools require that you use the SKIP, ENTER and/or ARROW buttons on your remote to navigate through the test.

The Audio tests vary depending on the number of speakers in your Home Theater System. Select the correct number from the list (Stereo, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1). Please note, the “.1” is the subwoofer. If you do not have a subwoofer, just select the number based on how many speakers you have.

ADVANCED:

Select VIDEO CALIBRATION TOOLS to Optimize your HDTV

Select your HDTV type. If you are unsure of your display type, please refer to your HDTV owner’s manual.

Choose the item you wish to calibrate (brightness, contrast, etc.).
- INSTRUCTIONS to see/hear what the test pattern should look like
- CALIBRATE NOW to perform the actual calibration *
*Please refer to the HOW TO CALIBRATE VIDEO section of this Instruction Booklet.

CONTRAST: For the CONTRAST test pattern, you’ll want the "Visible White Stars" to be visible without fading into the background. If you start losing the "Visible White Stars," your monitor is clipping, which is not optimal. In many cases, you will be able to see the “Above White Stars” on the test pattern. This is quite normal on many HDTV sets. The best setting in this case is to turn contrast up to the maximum possible level without losing "Visible White Stars" on the right side of the WOW test pattern and without introducing visible coloration (red, green or blue tint) to the “Above White Stars.” You may actually find that 100% contrast still does not “clip” or make the “Visible White Stars” vanish or add any visible coloration to the “Above White Stars” on the WOW test pattern. This would be considered your optimal calibrated setting.

Select DISPLAY EVALUATION TOOLS to Test your HDTV

Display Evaluation Tools can be used to check the operation of your HDTV. The DESCRIPTION and INTRODUCTION for each Display Evaluation Tool will describe the function and purpose of each test.

Select AUDIO SET-UP TOOLS to Optimize your SOUND

Select INTRODUCTION to learn more about optimizing your SOUND. Please refer to your Audio/Video Receiver owner’s manual for details on how to adjust speaker CONFIGURATION, LEVEL and DISTANCE settings.

- If you do not have a Sound Pressure Level Meter (SPL Meter), please select SPL METER NOT REQUIRED.

Choose the Sound System you wish to calibrate (Stereo, 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1).

- CALIBRATE to perform the actual calibration*

* Some Audio Tools require that you use the SKIP, ENTER and/or ARROW buttons on your remote to navigate through the test.

HOW TO CALIBRATE VIDEO:

On most HDTV remotes, a button labeled MENU should bring up a list of settings, options and controls for your HDTV. Typically, the controls you need to calibrate the video will be labeled PICTURE SETTING or VIDEO (brightness, contrast, color, etc.). Should you have any problems finding or accessing your HDTV Menu, please refer to your HDTV owner’s manual for instructions.

Most HDTVs have factory preset combinations for brightness, contrast, color, etc., typically called PICTURE MODES. Each preset combination will have a descriptive name, like DYNAMIC, STANDARD, MOVIE/CINEMA, etc.

To achieve the best results, select the PICTURE MODE labeled MOVIE or CINEMA and make all of your adjustments using that Mode.

Once you have chosen the correct PICTURE MODE, go to the PICTURE SETTINGS or VIDEO (brightness, contrast, color, etc.) and make adjustments using the WOW disc and your HDTV remote. When you are finished with each setting, press the POP-UP button on your disc player’s remote to return to the WOW Optimize Menu. On some remotes, this may be called the TITLE/POP-UP or MENU button. Once you return to the WOW Optimize Menu, you can proceed to the next setting. For best results, it is recommended that you perform the adjustments in the order they appear on the WOW Optimize Menu.

Please refer to your HDTV owner’s manual to confirm whether you need to manually save your calibrated settings. (Most HDTVs will automatically save your settings.)

Now sit back, relax, and enjoy your new visual masterpiece!

PIXEL FLIPPER

This useful and unique tool will attempt to fix plasma burn-in and rescue stuck pixels. The tool cannot repair dead or defective pixels. Instructions for use are included on the disc.

For more detailed instructions on the Calibration Tools featured on WOW, you can download the full instruction manual at the following URL:

http://disneydvd.disney.go.com/managed/WOW_Manual.pdf

©BVHE, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncourt View Post

I bought and used this calibration disc, going through the novice and advanced calibrations.
I can't stand the final result. I calibrated perfectly following instructions to a t.
The picture now looks like a cheap CRT picture! Too much color, everything scene like it was filmed under an entire bank of spotlights. I didn't record my original settings, so reset everything based upon recollection and trial and error.
I invested half an hour or more calibrating and just felt let down at the final result.
johncourt likes this.

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #384 of 671 Old 09-04-2012, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

My personal Favorite is this one, it is the best sounding AVR Denon makes.

Dennon AVR-1913
http://usa.denon.com/US/Product/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?PCatId=AVSolutions(DenonNA)&CatId=AVReceivers(DenonNA)&catalog=DenonNA_US&Pid=AVR1913(DenonNA)

However, if your budget calls for something less expensive, go with the Denon AVR-1613. Excellent choice and the one I would go with over all others you mentioned IF IT DOES NOT CLIP WHITE/BLACK
http://usa.denon.com/US/Product/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?PCatId=AVSolutions(DenonNA)&CatId=AVReceivers(DenonNA)&catalog=DenonNA_US&Pid=AVR1613(DenonNA)

Are you sure it wasn't the Yamaha that clipped white/black? They are known to do this.

I have never seen a Denon do this before...but the Denon has better sound quality than the Yamaha for sure. However, if the Denon is truly not passing the video signal untouched, I would stay away from it.

Hope that info helps.

RIch

Quote:

Hi Richard, Maybe you can help with this post i made in the xx13 denon recievers forum:
I'm new to the forum so bare with me and my imperfect english (my native language is spanish). I replacing my 11 years old sony speakers and sub and my 5 year old sony str-dg810 receiver. I just bought the Energy Take Classic 5.1 home theater but i´m not sure about what receiver to buy. My room is small (3 x 5 meters) and I need the receiver for gaming on xbox / PS3 and for watching blu-rays. I dont really need 7.1, networking, airplay or zone 2. My budget is around $350 for the most, because I'm from Honduras, Central America and here the custom taxes are brutal, anything I buy in amazon is at the end of the day like 90% more of the original cost and you can forget about returning a problematic unit. (to expensive to send back). For what I have read in forums and expert reviews, sony recievers doesn't sound that good and onkio recievers don't last that long, so I narrowed my options to the Yamaha RV-X473 otr the Denon AVR-1613. In my country the only receivers you can find are 2011 pioneer or sony.
I like the Denon over the Yamaha but there is one thing that is holding me back, when I was about to buy the Denon 1612 I read in hometheater.com that this receiver fail the clipping test and there for it clipped above-white and below-black. The yamaha 2011 RV-X371 past all the video test. So in conclusion my question are:
1. Does this problem continue with the 2012 AVR-1613 or it has been solved?. I'm not a audiophile but I'm a semipro videophile. I always calibrate my tvs with the Spears & Munsil Blu-ray disc and now I´m waiting for the Disney WOW calibration Blu-ray to arrive to calibrate my Sony HX-850 and I need the receiver not to Clip above white and below black. I know that other 2012 denons fail the chroma resolution test, do you now how the 1613 performed is this area?
2. In your experience, how good is the HDMI video pass-through on the denon receivers and how good is the quality of the hdmi board (I'm looking for a receiver that will last me at least another 5 years without the HDMI OUT or any of the HDMI INN ports failing me)
3. Is the Audyssey MultEQ better that Ypao? does the Audyssey Dynamic Volume and DynamicEQ funtion as they intend to? Does the Audyssey MultEQ works when the sound field is set to pure direct (so as to listen the sound as recorder originally in blu-rays)?
4. I 'm plannig of buying the reciever in the amazon warehouse market place (Used as New or Very Good). Do any of you now how reliable is to buy it there used?
Thanks for putting with me this long and I'll be looking for some answers that help me decide.

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #385 of 671 Old 09-04-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

HI,

Audyssey and any other auto audio calibration you might be referring to are the worst things you can do to your sound. Proper SPeaker Placement ... especially the Sub ... are CRUCIAL to good sound.

Best results will be achieved with Manual Calibration using an SPL Meter and VERY careful speaker placement ... especially with the sub. I have a thread on this somewhere but I have attached a diagram which should explain speaker placement well enough.

Sub Placement.gif 14k .gif file

Amazon marketplace resellers have different policies for returns and not all are authorized resellers ... so your Denon Warranty will not be valid if you buy from them ...so be careful.

Quote:

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #386 of 671 Old 09-04-2012, 03:16 PM

Thanks Richard I appreciate you detail answers to my questions. I think I´ll go with the dennon 1613 (seems that with the 2013 models the clipping problem was resolved and with the 2012 models was resolved to via firmware. So i guess that i have to disable the Audyssey MultEQ for listenig to movies and games then.
post #387 of 671 Old 09-04-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFilms View Post

Clearly, something is wrong.
The picture should NOT look Bright & Over Saturated at all. If anything, the most common complaint is that the picture looks darker ... mostly due to correct black levels and the elimination of white clipping.
Also, you may have chosen the wrong MODE ... which it sounds like you did. WARM 2 or Movie Mode provides the best results.

Ah, good point. Thanks, I will re-calibrate.

Question (for anyone): is there a calibration tool which will help me set sharpness to a specific 'ideal' setting? The fuzzy recommendation of using a relatively low sharpness setting leaves me a bit uneasy.
post #388 of 671 Old 09-05-2012, 08:17 PM

I used the 'movie' mode this time for beginner and intermediate calibration.

The resulting image still has too much color for my taste. It looks like everyone has an orange sunburn. smile.gif I also like to add more sharpness than is recommended, between 30 and 40, rather than at or below 25. I suppose it's just a matter of taste: I prefer a bit less color and a bit more sharpness. Your tastes may vary.

My test disc is batman begins for reference purposes.
post #389 of 671 Old 09-06-2012, 03:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Something is drastically wrong.

What brand, make, model HDTV do you have?

What are your current settings?
Quote:

The resulting image still has too much color for my taste. It looks like everyone has an orange sunburn. smile.gif I also like to add more sharpness than is recommended, between 30 and 40, rather than at or below 25. I suppose it's just a matter of taste: I prefer a bit less color and a bit more sharpness. Your tastes may vary.

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #390 of 671 Old 09-06-2012, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Batman ... The Dark Night?

This is is not a movie I would use for testing color. The lighting casts a tint on scenes ... it is part of the look of that movie.

My favorite is "IMAX - Born to Be Wild 3D" ... which of course I watch in 2D. The organic colors of nature and animals ... as well as the wood structures and flesh tones are amazing on this disc. Everything looks 100% organic on my Calibrated Pioneer PRO-101FD and my Pioneer KRP-600M. Literally, the picture on my HDTV looks like real life.

If you do not have that disc, I would suggest getting it ... or use something like "Life" or "Planet Earth" (BBC Version s best) or some other high quality nature film.

There is a Sharpness tool on WOW. However, you need to get very close to the HDTV Panel to use it. The Sharpness tool on WOW is a very fine adjustment pattern. You will not see a difference at standard viewing distances. I need to be about 18: away from my HDTV Panel to dial in Sharpness. My setting is 13 out of 100 using pro calibration. I agree the general rule of them is 25% or less of your adjustment range. Anything more adds artifacts and distortion. Some folks may not see this distortion, but it is there and very obvious once you know what to look for.

Quote:

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Disney Wow World Of Wonder Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page