Disney's WOW: World of Wonder (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #541 of 692 Old 02-23-2013, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
hello i picked up the 2 disc set online and finally sat down to play with it, and the disc didnt work. I read through here a bit and seen some people were having trouble with it with their ps3, but im using a pioneer BDP-320. It plays the 2nd disc, but the first one, it just says "cannot play" on the front of the player. Any help? im hoping my sister has a bd player so i can test it at her house tomorrow when i visit.

*p.s yes its up to date as far as i know*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 692 Old 02-24-2013, 06:20 PM

Update - Tested the disc out in my sisters bd player and it worked there! so it must be my BD player, now i have to find out why...
post #543 of 692 Old 02-25-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi,

A few comments.

#1 - I have seen one (1) other player do this. It needed an update ... but the update can ONLY be applied using an external memory card. In other words, the update will not install using only the 1GB of on-board RAM most players feature.

#2 - Is your BD Player connected to the Internet when you try to play the disc? If not, try connecting your BD player to the Internet when you attempt to play the disc and see if any message comes up when the disc attempts to load. If you get a message, see #3 below.

#3 - If you are getting an error message when you attempt to play the disc while your BD player is connected to the internet, you will need to perform an update. However, from what I have seen, this update can ONLY be applied using an external memory card to store the "update data" on so it can flash the player with the updated firmware.

If none of this works ... but an Oppo ... smile.gif

Just kidding ... I would call Sony if nothing else works and ask them what the problem might be. Like I said, I have only seen this once before and the update described above solved the issue.

Hope that helps.

RIch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostility View Post

Update - Tested the disc out in my sisters bd player and it worked there! so it must be my BD player, now i have to find out why...

Richard J. Casey

Disney WOW - World of Wonder

Producers Guild of America, New Media Council
(BD Industry Insider)
post #544 of 692 Old 02-25-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFilms View Post

Hi,

A few comments.

#1 - I have seen one (1) other player do this. It needed an update ... but the update can ONLY be applied using an external memory card. In other words, the update will not install using only the 1GB of on-board RAM most players feature.

#2 - Is your BD Player connected to the Internet when you try to play the disc? If not, try connecting your BD player to the Internet when you attempt to play the disc and see if any message comes up when the disc attempts to load. If you get a message, see #3 below.

#3 - If you are getting an error message when you attempt to play the disc while your BD player is connected to the internet, you will need to perform an update. However, from what I have seen, this update can ONLY be applied using an external memory card to store the "update data" on so it can flash the player with the updated firmware.

Just kidding ... I would call Sony if nothing else works and ask them what the problem might be. Like I said, I have only seen this once before and the update described above solved the issue.

Hope that helps.

RIch

I cant connect my BD player to the internet unfortunately. I went on pioneers website and it has the latest firmware update. Funny thing is last week i said i want to buy an oppo 103 lol. But right now the funs are not available and i was trying to hold off until summer to buy the 103. I might have to e-mail pioneer.
post #545 of 692 Old 02-26-2013, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, I mean to say call Pioneer. I am nit sure why I said Sony.

So there was an update from Pioneer?

If so, that should fix it.

Please let me know how it works out.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFilms View Post

Hi,

A few comments.

Hope that helps.

RIch

I cant connect my BD player to the internet unfortunately. I went on pioneers website and it has the latest firmware update. Funny thing is last week i said i want to buy an oppo 103 lol. But right now the funs are not available and i was trying to hold off until summer to buy the 103. I might have to e-mail pioneer.

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #546 of 692 Old 02-27-2013, 05:29 AM

no sorry my pioneer was already up to date. I posted this also in the official pioneer 320 thread, and someone with the same player and same firmware says it works for him. So now im really stumped why i cant play it on mine.
post #547 of 692 Old 02-27-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

As am I...I have no ida why it would not work. We have tested this for 100% compatibility with all players.
Quote:

no sorry my pioneer was already up to date. I posted this also in the official pioneer 320 thread, and someone with the same player and same firmware says it works for him. So now im really stumped why i cant play it on mine.
Hostility likes this.

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #548 of 692 Old 02-27-2013, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am new to the "calibration" issue so please just humor me if I seem uninformed. I just started my "panel plasma prep" ie D-Nice, then I ran into this Disney WoW blu ray forum. Is there any correlation? Do I need to do both? Can I do both? Is it either or? Some insight would be appreciated!
post #549 of 692 Old 03-01-2013, 04:00 PM

Liked: 11
Hello,

I ordered the DVD 2-disc version to calibrate my HTPC (DVD), Xbox 360 (DVD) and PS3 (Bluray) sources over HDMI Redmere to a UN46ES7500.

Is it safe to use the WOW DVD format in my case without losing accuracy over the Bluray format? Also, what are the biggest differences between both WOW formats?

Greatly appreciate any advice/help.
post #550 of 692 Old 03-13-2013, 06:58 PM

RBFilms, I have a few questions I would love your input on as I am waiting for my disc to be delivered. I ordered it intending to only use the video calibration, however, after reading every page of this thread, I am tempted to buy an SPL meter and turn off my audyssey settings on my Denon 3312. Is the disc self explanatory when it comes to audio calibration or are there some tips/tricks i need to be aware of?

So here are my main questions:

1. I have a Sony BDP-590 Blu-Ray player. Some places in this thread mention calibrating your TV but also addressing the blu-ray. Do you do this independently, at the same time or how do I go about this? I have turned off all the auto, crap on the blu ray. Do I need to do anything else. My concern is if i can't accurately dial something in on my TV, how do I know if I hit my TV limits or if it is a result of the blu-ray
2. Do you have any specific starting points or pointers for my TV? Samsung PN64E533. It is fairly a newer Costco model and it doesnt have a page in this thread
3. My speakers are Bipolar, do i need to think differently about calibrating them? I have Definitive Technology BP-8060 towers and a 8060 powered center along with 8040 surrounds. In addition to being bipolar, the front l/r and center are powered. Would that affect the calibration? Should i just set them all to 12 o'clock and try and dial in to 83 from there?

Sorry for the 20Qs. I completely respect all of your opinions and look forward to any advice you have. I can't wait to get my disk in the mail
post #551 of 692 Old 03-14-2013, 05:35 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNaudioguy View Post

RBFilms, I have a few questions I would love your input on as I am waiting for my disc to be delivered. I ordered it intending to only use the video calibration, however, after reading every page of this thread, I am tempted to buy an SPL meter and turn off my audyssey settings on my Denon 3312. Is the disc self explanatory when it comes to audio calibration or are there some tips/tricks i need to be aware of?

So here are my main questions:

1. I have a Sony BDP-590 Blu-Ray player. Some places in this thread mention calibrating your TV but also addressing the blu-ray. Do you do this independently, at the same time or how do I go about this? I have turned off all the auto, crap on the blu ray. Do I need to do anything else. My concern is if i can't accurately dial something in on my TV, how do I know if I hit my TV limits or if it is a result of the blu-ray
2. Do you have any specific starting points or pointers for my TV? Samsung PN64E533. It is fairly a newer Costco model and it doesnt have a page in this thread
3. My speakers are Bipolar, do i need to think differently about calibrating them? I have Definitive Technology BP-8060 towers and a 8060 powered center along with 8040 surrounds. In addition to being bipolar, the front l/r and center are powered. Would that affect the calibration? Should i just set them all to 12 o'clock and try and dial in to 83 from there?

Sorry for the 20Qs. I completely respect all of your opinions and look forward to any advice you have. I can't wait to get my disk in the mail

All I can tell you is, relax!
Someone may comment on your speaker settings but the manual for them probably has a set up procedure. This disc is so easy to use it will pleasently surprise you.

Al
post #552 of 692 Old 03-17-2013, 02:14 PM

I have a bit of an obscure question. I have a PS3 (as my Blueray player) feeding into a Marantz SR5005 AVR and then into an Epson 8700UB front PJ. I would like to use the Disney WOW disc to do the audio calibration as recommended in this thread. When I go into the AVR menu to manually set the individual speaker levels, it apparently disables sound input from the PS3 and will only let me use calibration signals from the AVR itself. Not sure how much difference there would be but if there is a way to do this using the WOW calibration signals I would like to try it. Wondering if anyone has any ideas how to accomplish this. (I did cross post this in the Marantz 5005/6005 owners thread but ti's pretty slow over there.)

Thanks in advance.

Jim
post #553 of 692 Old 03-17-2013, 09:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 266
^^^
Your AVR is designed to use it's own pink noise. Using anything else might not yield accurate results. But if you want to do that you'll need an SPL meter, measure it then go into the AVR setup and adjust, then back and measure again..
post #554 of 692 Old 03-18-2013, 06:22 AM

I was afraid it would be an unwieldy solution. I do have a Radio Shack SPL meter.

Thanks, Jim
post #555 of 692 Old 03-18-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg1949 View Post

I was afraid it would be an unwieldy solution. I do have a Radio Shack SPL meter.

Thanks, Jim

Let me know if you like the results from your SPL tuning vs. what Audyssey does. I am very curious to see if you get positive results from the SPL and might try it myself. I was waiting for RBFilms response first on my particular situation to see if he has any insight first. Keep us posted!
post #556 of 692 Old 03-22-2013, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytraders View Post

Ah i almost forgot, so why are there actually 2 versions of the 1 disc set for sale if both have exactly the same contents, i think also one is a little bit more exspensive than the other as well.
I know this one is a older post 2/2. but when I looked there was only one double set. one Bluray set and
one that had a picture that looked like a like the Bluray set but was a DVD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarithers View Post

What kind of audio bitrate are people getting when they play the HD audio shootout track? According to the track info, the 5.1 HD audio track will be a variable bitrate up to 24 Mbps.
However, while playing the track from my PS3 to my Pioneer Elite, the PS3 only got as high as about 8.5Mbps so I am wondering if the PS3 is not passing the full uncompressed track from the disc.
Any thoughts?
I have a 7.1 Sony strdh830 and most of the disc comes across as 96Kh audio. on the visions disc most audio is
at 96Kh and there are a few that come across as 48Kh. I am not sure what the bitrate is beyond that.
but I will comment the visions disc. it is something to have a guest visit you while it is on. the 7.1
sound fills the room and it is like you can not hear anything from the speakers but the room is
full of music.......emanating all around you.
the Sony is new to me as I am learning it....but it is remarkable.

my HT
post #557 of 692 Old 03-28-2013, 12:15 PM

Liked: 18
The Wow blu ray has been perfect for my HDTV and Several friends have acquired it after my recommendation, however , I can't seem to make it work with my old CRT 21 inches Samsung tantus (I use it for my Wii and N64).

Is there a different version for CRT televisions? The contrast and brightness settings, for example, are impossible to make work on this screen.

Please advice
post #558 of 692 Old 03-29-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

No different version is required .... will work on CRT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo-Tyrant View Post

The Wow blu ray has been perfect for my HDTV and Several friends have acquired it after my recommendation, however , I can't seem to make it work with my old CRT 21 inches Samsung tantus (I use it for my Wii and N64).

Is there a different version for CRT televisions? The contrast and brightness settings, for example, are impossible to make work on this screen.

Please advice

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #559 of 692 Old 03-30-2013, 02:07 PM

Thank you, however , I could not see the stars on either the brightness and contrast tests.

On my HDTV they are clearly visible and I can leave the tv configured on the perfect black or white setting, I can't seem to do it on the CRT.

It's a 2003-circa Samsung Tantus 21" CRT

Any advice? I'm using composite cables from the Ps3 Blu ray to the tv
post #560 of 692 Old 03-31-2013, 01:15 AM

I just picked this up and tried it out. It says to adjust the settings using the TV remote but nothing happens when I use the PS Blu Ray controller nor the TV Remote. The instructions on the process is not clear. Do I need to go into my TV settings menu and match what it is I'm adjusting? Brightness, sharpness, etc..

I also noticed when selecting which TV I have, LED was not a choice? What settings are other selecting? OLED? Plasma and LCD?

Thanks.

Madvaz
post #561 of 692 Old 03-31-2013, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Madvaz, your LED TV is still a LCD TV, LED or CFL is the type of back light used in the tv.
Good Luck and happy calibrating
post #562 of 692 Old 03-31-2013, 07:23 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madvaz View Post

I just picked this up and tried it out. It says to adjust the settings using the TV remote but nothing happens when I use the PS Blu Ray controller nor the TV Remote. The instructions on the process is not clear. Do I need to go into my TV settings menu and match what it is I'm adjusting? Brightness, sharpness, etc..

I also noticed when selecting which TV I have, LED was not a choice? What settings are other selecting? OLED? Plasma and LCD?

Thanks.

Madvaz

As RollTide2011 replied, your LED tv is an LCD tv.

And yes, you have to go to your television's settings menu to make the adjustments. Your blu ray player just plays the disc and you only use the blu ray player remote to navigate the disc.

I hope that helps clear it up for you.

Al
post #563 of 692 Old 03-31-2013, 09:47 AM

Got it. Thanks RollTide2011 and Angler55.

Madvaz
post #564 of 692 Old 04-02-2013, 02:41 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 315
I just bought this today for the advance brightness and advance contrast and have to say I'm very impressed.

Frank
post #565 of 692 Old 04-03-2013, 10:07 AM

I've been working my way through the disc and reading the details. Maybe somebody can help me out here with a few set up or maybe I missed something.

Does the WOW disc cover backlight settings? Tint? Flesh Tone? The individual colors for the Gamma setting?

I know it has set up for black tone. hue and general Gamma, but it seems these new samsung smart TV have new settings that the disc lacks to set up. I've not read the whole disc details yet, but does it assist with motion blur and judder when the auto motion setting is on?

Thanks.

Madvaz
post #566 of 692 Old 04-04-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madvaz View Post

I've been working my way through the disc and reading the details. Maybe somebody can help me out here with a few set up or maybe I missed something.

Does the WOW disc cover backlight settings? Tint? Flesh Tone? The individual colors for the Gamma setting?

I know it has set up for black tone. hue and general Gamma, but it seems these new samsung smart TV have new settings that the disc lacks to set up. I've not read the whole disc details yet, but does it assist with motion blur and judder when the auto motion setting is on?

Thanks.

Madvaz

It does NOT cover backlight, however, it does cover Tint and flesh tone (that's what the Blue Filter is for)

Use the advanced settings.
post #567 of 692 Old 04-21-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I may not be checking in here as often.

Thank you everyone for your support.

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #568 of 692 Old 04-23-2013, 06:39 AM

How about properly calibrating each of the different sources connected?

I have recently invested in the Disney's World of Wonder calibration disc (2 disc set) and have a follow up question. I have been able to successfully verify that my Samsung Plasma PN60E6500 tv is calibrated and good to go as far as my PS3 input is concerned (I inserted the Disney WOW calibration disc in my PS3 to play and have hence calibrated my HDMI1 input for the PS3).

Now what? How can I go about calibrating different sources? What if I wanted to play a movie file directly from my tv's built-in media player (a movie file is copied onto a USB thumb drive and inserted directly into my tv's USB port for playback direct? How would I go ahead and calibrate movies played thru the tv's media player? What about my HDMI3 (which I have my laptop computer hooked up to my tv) - what about this source? And lastly, I also want to calibrate my "TV" input source for my cable tv.

I was fearing that this is not possible but am hoping that someone has stumbled across this issue and has worked out a way of doing this.

Cheers,
post #569 of 692 Old 04-23-2013, 11:32 AM

My question is if I put this disc in my blue ray player how can I calibrate it so that I can have it calibrate my tv so that is effects my tv and my hd channels
post #570 of 692 Old 04-23-2013, 12:54 PM

I believe all sources (except some TV ones) can be made to perform the same.

Just replicate the setting in all area for each of the sources (Tv -hdm1-2-3-4, etc)

Yes, you need to do this by hand, but its no big deal.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Disney Wow World Of Wonder Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Disney by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page