Disney's WOW: World of Wonder (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 671 Old 01-04-2011, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatski View Post

That is the DVD version. It was mentioned above. If you look closely it says "Also available on Blu-Ray". Click it and it'll take you to an out of stock blu-ray version.

Not correct. I just literally got off the phone with a Target sales rep and she confirmed this catalog # 13077737 (Disney WOW) is definitely a Blu Ray version and not a DVD and it is in stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 671 Old 01-04-2011, 08:27 AM

There is also a good thread about this Bluray on the Display Calibration forum HERE.
Its worth noting that Richard J. Casey, the Producer of Disney WOW is an active forum member and has been very helpful with regards to this Bluray... he has multiple comments in the linked thread.

Having got this Disc and also trying the AVIA II and I discs from netflix I can say there is no comparison and the WOW Bluray is far better than the AVIA ones IMHO.
When I was looking to buy I could not find it on the Disney movie club website either.. My wife that.
I got it from Amazon, Looks like everyone is suffering from Post Xmas sell out. Give it a week or two and most should have it back in stock. I have also found with Amazon that if you go ahead and put it in the cart and complete the purchase, an estimated month or more stocking date often becomes just a few days.. happened to me most recently with my HTIB purchase

DJ
Vischeck Color deficiency goodies: 8.5% of the human population
post #33 of 671 Old 01-04-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

Not correct. I just literally got off the phone with a Target sales rep and she confirmed this catalog # 13077737 (Disney WOW) is definitely a Blu Ray version and not a DVD and it is in stock.

It seems you are correct. Either way, it is no longer in stock! Ha.
post #34 of 671 Old 01-04-2011, 08:46 AM

DVDEmpire has it in stock, definitely Blu Ray version for $32 shipped.
post #35 of 671 Old 01-04-2011, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Wow, WOW has cause a frenzy, I'll wait it out until cost come down, or something similar to the Target price.

djoel
post #36 of 671 Old 01-04-2011, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

I haven't seen this one, but I have used Avia and Avia II with good results for my DVD player and display. In contrast, I recently purchased the Spears & Munsil disc when I bought a Blu-Ray player. I found it nearly unusable. Some of the calibration screens made no visible change to my monitor even though I cranked the appropriate monitor control all the way up and down. I ended up with a dim and fuzzy picture. After I put the Avia II disc into the player and calibrated the monitor, the result was much, much better, even though it's a DVD and not a Blu-Ray disc.

I found the Spears & Munsil disc to be a complete waste of $25. In addition to calibration screens that either did nothing or gave a poor result, it contained all of these cadence test clips and test patterns which are fine for benchmarking a player--but they add nothing to the quality of video signal I get, since there are no settings to change that will improve the results. And there was little or no explanation of how to use them, although there was a bit more info in some articles on the S&M website.

I'm hoping the Disney disc is better!

Me too, the Spears & Munsil disc to be a complete waste of $25. i was hoping it would be better than the AVIA I disk but not even close.

Audyssey setup guide
post #37 of 671 Old 01-04-2011, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Best Buy has it for $34.99... backordered though.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....egories&ks=960

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Ogive

post #38 of 671 Old 01-04-2011, 10:15 AM

Purchased a copy at DVDempire. Thanks for the notice Winky65. $32 shipped was a great price.
post #39 of 671 Old 01-04-2011, 11:50 AM

Frys has it in store for 34.99$.
post #40 of 671 Old 01-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Nice. This in available at FS for us Canucks at a reasonable price.
post #41 of 671 Old 01-04-2011, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

No worries regarding the quality of the audio calibration tools. As I alluded to in the review the rating is based more so on the quality associated with the Visions: inspired by nature soundtrack. I didn't feel it would be necessary to provide an audio rating for test tones etc. as they are fairly common/generic.

Regards,

Thanks... that makes sense. I guess I would have also hoped they would have sampled some of their better releases for representative audio too... but I agree that rating the test tones doesn't make sense... and as long as that works, then you end up with a good calibration disc so that your real movies sound good.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #42 of 671 Old 01-04-2011, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdodd12 View Post

So do you need professional calibration tools to use the advanced modes of this disc?

Greetings,

You don't need them to set the basic video settings however if you plan to delve further and properly adjust things like your display's greyscale and color primaries then you would need the proper measuring equipment as well as the knowledge to interpret the results. For setting up the audio an SPL meter would be all the additional equipment you would need.

For most users professional calibration equipement isn't required even in Advanced mode.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #43 of 671 Old 01-04-2011, 01:11 PM

Liked: 15
Here's a paste from the status of my Target order. If it arrives as a non bluray disc, I'll raise bloody hell until they give me a bluray copy!

"Items not yet shipped:
Forward arrow Estimated delivery: Jan 10, 2011 to Jan 13, 2011

* Disney WOW: World of Wonder (2 Discs) (Widescreen) (Blu-ray)"
post #44 of 671 Old 01-04-2011, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Thanks Ralph for the review! I've just placed my order for this one...

Christian

My DVD and Blu Ray collection

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
post #45 of 671 Old 01-04-2011, 02:14 PM

I got this for my brother for Christmas. It is exceedingly simple to use with clear instructions and explanations.
post #46 of 671 Old 01-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Just picked up today at futureshop up here is Hockeyland. $39.99, a little steep but looks like it's worth it. My brother just bought a new plasma and a new Blu-Ray player (his First) so I will be trying this out at his place probably this weekend. By the way, great review as always Mr. Potts.
post #47 of 671 Old 01-04-2011, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Actually, I am an old school audiophile ... my Home Theater is all tubes...

It is worth noting that ALL of the audio on the disc except the test tones has been mastered by Doug Sax at The Mastering Lab. I consider Doug and his team to be among the best in the world. Many industry professional agree that Doug's Mastering Lab in Ojai, CA is second to none.

Listen carefully to the audio tracks...every single minute of the disc was sourced from original masters. Then, we sweetened, leveled and mastered all of the audio in a Tube Analog Audio Chain.

The reason for this is simple. Utilizing content from different films is a bit like making a meal from a smorgasbord. You must balance, level, and EQ the tracks so they are uniform throughout the disc.

Digital is a disaster when it comes to changing Levels or EQ. There are too many issues with math, dithering, and jitter as well as other technical concerns that make digital less than ideal to work with in many cases.

In an Analog world, we can work with Audio without detriment to the soundtrack ....and in all cases so far ... improve upon the sonic quality of the presentation.

I think most people would be surprised if they compared an audio track digitally recorded to the same track mastered in a Tube Analog Chain. My experience in the studio favors analog tube mastering in a big way. Therefore, I too was surprised by the audio rating.

I would be curious to hear comments from others with reference sound systems with respect to audio quality of the disc.

I love the feedback I get here at AVS. This disc was created with the help of many AVS Members. We actually rely on what we learn here to create better products. We appreciate all the comments and your support.

NOTE: Listen to the Disney / Pixar Soundtracks for reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Thanks... that makes sense. I guess I would have also hoped they would have sampled some of their better releases for representative audio too... but I agree that rating the test tones doesn't make sense... and as long as that works, then you end up with a good calibration disc so that your real movies sound good.

Richard J. Casey

Disney WOW - World of Wonder

Producers Guild of America, New Media Council
(BD Industry Insider)
post #48 of 671 Old 01-04-2011, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I cannot find it on the Target website in Blu-ray at all.

FYI - That sounds like the DVD Price to me...and I am pretty sure Target does not have the disc in store....only online. Fry's Stores should have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

It looks like Target has the cheapest price on this at $22.89. Think i'll just pick it up at a local Target store.

Cheers

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #49 of 671 Old 01-04-2011, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

No, not at all. You do not need any equipment to fully utilize the Video or Audio Tools on the disc.

If you have an SPL Meter ($50 or so), there are a few additional Audio Tools you can use to better calibrate sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdodd12 View Post

So do you need professional calibration tools to use the advanced modes of this disc?

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #50 of 671 Old 01-04-2011, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually, I am an old school audiophile ... my Home Theater is all tubes...

It is worth noting that ALL of the audio on the disc except the test tones has been mastered by Doug Sax at The Mastering Lab. I consider Doug and his team to be among the best in the world. Many industry professional agree that Doug's Mastering Lab in Ojai, CA is second to none.

Listen carefully to the audio tracks...every single minute of the disc was sourced from original masters. Then, we sweetened, leveled and mastered all of the audio in a Tube Analog Audio Chain.

The reason for this is simple. Utilizing content from different films is a bit like making a meal from a smorgasbord. You must balance, level, and EQ the tracks so they are uniform throughout the disc.

Digital is a disaster when it comes to changing Levels or EQ. There are too many issues with math, dithering, and jitter as well as other technical concerns that make digital less than ideal to work with in many cases.

In an Analog world, we can work with Audio without detriment to the soundtrack ....and in all cases so far ... improve upon the sonic quality of the presentation.

I think most people would be surprised if they compared an audio track digitally recorded to the same track mastered in a Tube Analog Chain. My experience in the studio favors analog tube mastering in a big way. Therefore, I too was surprised by the audio rating.

I would be curios to hear comments from others with reference sound systems with respect to audio quality of the disc.

I love the feedback I get here at AVS. This disc was created with the help of many AVS Members. We actually rely on what we learn here to create better products. We appreciate all the comments and your support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #51 of 671 Old 01-04-2011, 07:31 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFilms View Post

I cannot find it on the Target website in Blu-ray at all.

FYI - That sounds like the DVD Price to me...and I am pretty sure Target does not have the disc in store....only online. Fry's Stores should have it.

It has been shipped- here's the latest from target.com to me:

"Items shipped on Jan 4, 2011:
1 package via UPS Mail Innovations Track your package

The price seems low compared to everyone elses, could be a mistake, but I bet I could get them to honor it.
post #52 of 671 Old 01-05-2011, 12:01 AM

Picked it up the other day, only place locally I could find it was from Barnes & Noble, on their site they have a local store search that will tell you if any stores in the area where you live have it. Here is the link. In store its 10% off, $35.99 and if you have a B&N membership its an additional 10%, funny story I learned mine had expired in 2004 I had not been their in so long, did not renew however. I did have a 25% off coupon so in total it came to $28.74.

Those who cant find it in stores, DVDEmpire is the only online website that say they have it in stock, they have it for $31.99 with free shipping. Found the site on Google shopping. If anyone fins more sites that have it in stock, post them to help those get this wonderful Bluray.

EDIT: The 25% coupon I used in store expired yesterday, I did find one that gets an additional 15% off here not as good, but its better than nothing. By the way, I wanted to see if my coupon was eligible, so I tried it online first, it said it wasn't, however I still presented in store, and it was accepted. So print it off and see what happens.
post #53 of 671 Old 01-05-2011, 02:04 PM

post #54 of 671 Old 01-05-2011, 08:34 PM

Hi Ralph,

Just wondering if you could confirm the region code on the "Disney WOW" blu-ray. Your "intro" states A,B & C but Amazon state it's region 1, and only for use in the USA and Canada.

I'd love to get a copy but as I live in Australia (region 2, B) I don't want to import a region 1 as I don't own a region free blu-ray player.

Many thanks,

Peter
post #55 of 671 Old 01-06-2011, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Disney WOW - World of WOnder is Region A, B & C. Region ALL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petepurple View Post

Hi Ralph,

Just wondering if you could confirm the region code on the "Disney WOW" blu-ray. Your "intro" states A,B & C but Amazon state it's region 1, and only for use in the USA and Canada.

I'd love to get a copy but as I live in Australia (region 2, B) I don't want to import a region 1 as I don't own a region free blu-ray player.

Many thanks,

Peter

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #56 of 671 Old 01-06-2011, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Well, I just bought this and I'm hoping it'll do me some good.
Before I had just followed CNET and this forum's settings (with a few of my own tweeks)....

I have also tried to use the mini Calibration tool that comes with Life (UK edition) and found that I just can't get the brightness or contrast to work the way they say it should (A and C are pretty much always visible). I hope WOW works better for my 2 Samsungs than that did!

I'll report back once the disc arrives
post #57 of 671 Old 01-06-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclark View Post

It has been shipped- here's the latest from target.com to me:

"Items shipped on Jan 4, 2011:
1 package via UPS Mail Innovations Track your package

The price seems low compared to everyone elses, could be a mistake, but I bet I could get them to honor it.

I found this forum during a Google search... Just received my Target order and it's DVD, NOT Blu-Ray! Their website is wrong! Target item 13077737 comes back to the 2 disc DVD UPC 786936806564. Mine Target discs are going back today. Already ordered the Blu-Rays from DVD Empire and used the 10% off code 1561649 there. Bummer but hope it works in the end. Hope this helps.
post #58 of 671 Old 01-06-2011, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenP View Post

So I'm the only one who got this just for the Goofy clip?

When I saw this announced, I stopped by their booth at CEDIA for exactly that reason! And then I was horribly disappointed to find out that it's only a few seconds of clips from the "How to Hook up Your Home Theater" short. That just seemed like an absolute no-brainer to include.

Talking to the Disney guy, he shocked me with his statement that that short "was supposed to persuade folks to go to the movies instead of dealing with home theater headaches" - and therefore "didn't make sense to include".

Yeah, right. And the fact that "everybody at CEDIA has been telling us we should include it" didn't sink in is a shame (this was 2 months before ship)...

Including that short would have made the disc very attractive - since the single disc version would have some replay value. I'd have loved to start any of my movie nights with the Goofy short as the 'cartoon' before the feature...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #59 of 671 Old 01-07-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

You don't need them to set the basic video settings however if you plan to delve further and properly adjust things like your display's greyscale and color primaries then you would need the proper measuring equipment as well as the knowledge to interpret the results. For setting up the audio an SPL meter would be all the additional equipment you would need.

For most users professional calibration equipement isn't required even in Advanced mode.

Regards,

Thanks for the response. I just wanted to make sure I could leverage the advanced modes even though I don't have pro calib equipment.

Thanks.
post #60 of 671 Old 01-09-2011, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually, that is not what I said.

The correct quote is:

"The original piece played in Movie Theaters. It did not seem appropriate for a disc about Home Theater"

Thanks..

Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

When I saw this announced, I stopped by their booth at CEDIA for exactly that reason! And then I was horribly disappointed to find out that it's only a few seconds of clips from the "How to Hook up Your Home Theater" short. That just seemed like an absolute no-brainer to include.

Talking to the Disney guy, he shocked me with his statement that that short "was supposed to persuade folks to go to the movies instead of dealing with home theater headaches" - and therefore "didn't make sense to include".

Yeah, right. And the fact that "everybody at CEDIA has been telling us we should include it" didn't sink in is a shame (this was 2 months before ship)...

Including that short would have made the disc very attractive - since the single disc version would have some replay value. I'd have loved to start any of my movie nights with the Goofy short as the 'cartoon' before the feature...

Jeff

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Disney Wow World Of Wonder Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page