Disney's WOW: World of Wonder (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #631 of 692 Old 10-22-2013, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Sorry for the bump but just grabbed a new plasma and was thinking of grabbing a copy of this and was just wondering - is the 2 disc version worth paying the extra for or shall I just grab the single disc blu ray?  What's on the 2nd disc?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 692 Old 11-19-2013, 11:58 AM
pjp

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hello, Just tried Disney WOW and everything worked great except for the test tones. In the 5.1 audio test tone menu, the Front/Center/right were fine, but the rear left tone comes out the front left channel and rear right comes out the front right. Also, there is no subwoofer tone on the LFE tone. My setup is Sony PS3 feeding Sunfire TGIV via optical digital input, so I am not getting audio from the Bluray through HDMI. As anybody encountered this issue and is there a solution?

Thanks,
Peter
post #633 of 692 Old 11-20-2013, 03:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 110
My test tones dont let me select the other speakers. Might be my remote, but I gave up on it.

post #634 of 692 Old 12-30-2013, 09:45 PM

Liked: 11

I recently purchased a new Sony w900 TV and the Disney Wow Calibration disc.  I use a PS3 as my BluRay player.  No matter what combination of adjustments I made on my TV I experienced a great deal of clipping in blacks and whites.  This was extremely frustrating because the w900 is a higher end model and was one of the better reviewed LED TVs of all time.  I could not achieve proper black or white levels using the Beginner or Advanced tools.  For example, the ideal black or ideal white star was always invisible no matter how much I adjusted the brightness, picture (contrast), back light, gamma, etc.  Then I began to play around with the output settings on my PS3 and the input settings on the w900.  Still no luck.  Always the same problem.  Finally I toggled  on the Super White option on the PS3 under the Display menu in the Settings.  After doing so I loaded up the WoW disc and discovered that it had drastically altered the black/white levels.  Now the all the stars were visible in the Advanced test patters for Brightness and Contrast.  I was able to adjust the settings on the TV for proper black levels.  But could achieve ideal white.  Now no matter what I do the stars that are supposed to be invisible are visible.  Given the choice of the two I would rather have more head room than clipping.  But I find it odd that first the TV could not achieve ideal black or white... not even close without turning on the Super White option on my PS3.  And second that regardless of whether the Super White option the w900 does not appear to be able to be calibrated to display ideal white.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues when using the WoW disc on a PS3?

post #635 of 692 Old 12-31-2013, 05:32 AM

That brings up an interesting point. How much is the device that's playing the WOW disc affecting the calibration images? If you were somehow able to play the images directly in the TV would they look different?
post #636 of 692 Old 12-31-2013, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercell View Post

That brings up an interesting point. How much is the device that's playing the WOW disc affecting the calibration images? If you were somehow able to play the images directly in the TV would they look different?

If there is a way to set PS 3 to source direct, the tv would do all the processing, and you will be better able to get a decent calibration of the tv. When you let the PS3 do the processing, and you calibrate, all you really are doing is calibrating for that one device on your tv. Those settings may or may not work for for any other device that is connect to the tv.
supercell likes this.
post #637 of 692 Old 12-31-2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

If there is a way to set PS 3 to source direct, the tv would do all the processing, and you will be better able to get a decent calibration of the tv. When you let the PS3 do the processing, and you calibrate, all you really are doing is calibrating for that one device on your tv. Those settings may or may not work for for any other device that is connect to the tv.

I considered that very problem.  Thankfully it isn't a big deal for me since I watch my BRs and DVDs on my PS3.  But if I ever connect another device then you're right that my TV will only be calibrated for the PS3.  I'll have to look over the PS3 options again.  But off hand I don't remember seeing a Source option.  Could very well have missed it though.

post #638 of 692 Old 01-01-2014, 08:30 PM

I looked over the PS3 output options thoroughly and couldn't find an option for source output.

post #639 of 692 Old 01-07-2014, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubscrazy1 View Post

I looked over the PS3 output options thoroughly and couldn't find an option for source output.

Do you mean like using the Pure Direct option on a receiver?

Xbox LIVE gamertag: red71rum
post #640 of 692 Old 01-14-2014, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
What's the difference between the 2disc and 1disc version?
post #641 of 692 Old 01-14-2014, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapino View Post

What's the difference between the 2disc and 1disc version?

The second disc in the 2 disc version contains a production called "Visions", a bunch of nature scenes and such with dts-HD MA sound.  It's meant to show off your newly adjusted picture you used with disc 1.  You loose none of the adjustment tools with the 1 disc version, it's the same exact adjustment disc.  I would skip the 2 disc version if you had a choice.  Baraka or Samsara is a better source for showing off your system if you want nature scenes.

Amazon was out of the 1 disc version so I got the 2 disc set delivered yesterday and adjusted my set last night.  The advanced color adjustment with the included blue filter was excellent.  I raised my color and tint levels in the basic settings by looking at the pictures presented.  But when I did the adjustments in the advanced section with the color chart and blue filter, I actually adjusted the levels back down to near where I started, quite an eye opener.  My brightness and contrast were way off before adjustment so overall I'm quite satisfied with the disc.  Just remember to make your adjustments in the lighting conditions you normally do your viewing or you may be disappointed in the results (picture adjusted with lots of natural light may not look so good at night in a completely darkened room).

Vizio M551D -- Denon 1613 -- Vizio 3D Blu-ray

I find your lack of schadenfreude disturbing.

post #642 of 692 Old 01-14-2014, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Ok ordered it from Amazon US, will take a while to get it shipped here though (Belgium).
post #643 of 692 Old 01-15-2014, 11:21 AM

Ordered this on Amazon and finally got it in the mail last night and used it to calibrate my tv. Everything was easy except two settings:

1. CONTRAST

So you're supposed to lower the contrast and then keep raising it until you achieve the ideal white and some of the stars essentially "disappear", etc. Works just like the brightness test except its white not black. Here's where I'm confused! Unlike the brightness test, once I reach "50" while adjusting contrast on my VT60, nothing changes! 50 to 100 look the same! so i dont know what to set my tv to? 50? 60? 70? 100? Its confusing! With brightness you clearly see when to stop as the correct stars disspear but with contrast... after 50 on my tv the screen looks exactly the same.

I want to have optimal contrast... what do i do? the instruction booklet isnt very helpful either. I dont know if my contrast is too low or too high. :(

2. SHARPNESS

This was the second test I did not understand. The onscreen test image doesnt really make it clear what i'm supposed to look for as i decrease/increase contrast. It says too much constrast hurts image quality, but i dont know how to use the test!

:( any help?

the blue filter was great and helped me get colors right. also my copy did not come with a 52 page instruction booklet as indicated in this review. it came with a small 2 page leaflet.

post #644 of 692 Old 01-15-2014, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by photogpab View Post

Ordered this on Amazon and finally got it in the mail last night and used it to calibrate my tv. Everything was easy except two settings:

1. CONTRAST

So you're supposed to lower the contrast and then keep raising it until you achieve the ideal white and some of the stars essentially "disappear", etc. Works just like the brightness test except its white not black. Here's where I'm confused! Unlike the brightness test, once I reach "50" while adjusting contrast on my VT60, nothing changes! 50 to 100 look the same! so i dont know what to set my tv to? 50? 60? 70? 100? Its confusing! With brightness you clearly see when to stop as the correct stars disspear but with contrast... after 50 on my tv the screen looks exactly the same.

I want to have optimal contrast... what do i do? the instruction booklet isnt very helpful either. I dont know if my contrast is too low or too high. frown.gif

<</div>

I have the same issue with the ST60. I've been told it's the ABL kicking in.
post #645 of 692 Old 01-15-2014, 01:07 PM

Whoops! Hit submit instead of preview. Anyway, I've been told it is the ABL. I know that I can pop the WOW disk in my other TV and calibrate the contrast on my LCD Sony just fine, so I don't think it's an error in my technique. Someone told me to go to a test pattern with less whites, but I've not found one that works on the ST60. I'd love to find a way around this.
post #646 of 692 Old 01-15-2014, 01:10 PM

so what do we do? :( haha. I have everything set except I have no idea what to do about contrast! 50 seems too long... but then 100 seems to high. but i dont want to set it halfway point for the heck of it. I want to do it right.

post #647 of 692 Old 01-15-2014, 01:32 PM

I had a couple people on the ST thread tell me that calibrated settings for contrast usually fall around 80. I have mine set at 85 - no good reason for that other than I like the brightness better at that level. Somewhere in this thread, someone said they did a screen capture of the contrast test pattern and shrunk it to where the ABL didn't kick in. I'm toying with trying that, although I'm struggling with how I might go about shrinking the pattern and keeping it accurate.

I realize I'm the odd one out here, but I'm starting to regret buying the WOW blu ray. I think that's because the free AVS 709 disk does everything that I'm doing with WOW - Brightness, Contrast, Sharpness, Tint, and Color. Maybe I'll change my opinion later.
post #648 of 692 Old 01-15-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Money1572 View Post

I had a couple people on the ST thread tell me that calibrated settings for contrast usually fall around 80. I have mine set at 85 - no good reason for that other than I like the brightness better at that level. Somewhere in this thread, someone said they did a screen capture of the contrast test pattern and shrunk it to where the ABL didn't kick in. I'm toying with trying that, although I'm struggling with how I might go about shrinking the pattern and keeping it accurate.

I realize I'm the odd one out here, but I'm starting to regret buying the WOW blu ray. I think that's because the free AVS 709 disk does everything that I'm doing with WOW - Brightness, Contrast, Sharpness, Tint, and Color. Maybe I'll change my opinion later.

I'm starting to have the same regrets. The disc came so highly recommended that I could not wait to use it. Contrast was the big issue I had and Sharpness was the other. I literally have no idea how to properly use the test pattern to achieve good sharpness. :(

The little tiny lines are so far away when I'm sitting on my couch and frankly it all looks the same to me. I always thought setting sharpness too high was bad but I only ever notice it "kicking in" till I get to about 70. which already seems very high! Default is 50, but a lot of people online seem to set it to "0"!

"0" looks soft to me... frustrated. haha. The one thing I did love was the blue filter which helped with setting color.

post #649 of 692 Old 01-15-2014, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Sharpness should be left at the lowest setting on the Panny plasmas. I have a 65V10 that was professionally calibrated and the calibrator showed me how increasing the sharpness actually made it worse.

post #650 of 692 Old 01-15-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Money1572 View Post

Sharpness needs to be set with you being close to the TV, no more than 2-3 feet if you can. What you're looking for is when straight, black lines start to distort. You can also look at letters. For example, when the letter l starts to bend or get shadows, your sharpness is too high.

Of course, like all the other adjustments, sharpness is a matter of preference. I keep mine about two levels above first distortion because I prefer the image that way.
post #651 of 692 Old 01-18-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post

Hello, Just tried Disney WOW and everything worked great except for the test tones. In the 5.1 audio test tone menu, the Front/Center/right were fine, but the rear left tone comes out the front left channel and rear right comes out the front right. Also, there is no subwoofer tone on the LFE tone. My setup is Sony PS3 feeding Sunfire TGIV via optical digital input, so I am not getting audio from the Bluray through HDMI. As anybody encountered this issue and is there a solution?

Thanks,
Peter

Have you found a solution for this?  I started a thread about this a few weeks ago, but I still haven't found a solution.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1507975/fl-and-sl-test-tone-playing-at-the-same-time-from-disney-wow-disc-sony-str-dh-710-receiver#post_24210452

However I am using a PS3 connected to my TV through my AV receiver with HDMI cables (no optical) and I do have sound through my LFE input.  The thing that I can't figure out is I have a 7.1 system.  When I select 5.1 for the speaker calibration it works perfectly.  It's when I select 7.1 when I get the issue of having sound in the FL and SL channels at the same time.  Anyone have any suggestions?

post #652 of 692 Old 01-22-2014, 06:49 AM

Not sure if anyone knows but I'll ask anyway. I have a Samsung PN51D550. I received this disk last night. Going to start messing around with it later today. Should I use the disc and calibrate while its on the 'Standard' picture mode? It's currently on the 'Movie' setting because that's what it looked the best on pre calibration. Does it matter? Any answers are appreciated.
post #653 of 692 Old 01-22-2014, 12:37 PM

I have a Panasonic Plasma TC-P55UT50-2 and I'm having issues adjusting the brightness/contrast settings using the Disney Wow disc.  My contract is good for what i can tell using the white checker boxes, I can only see the "visible" squares and just barely see the Ideal White squares in a dark room at night. But with the brightness screen with the black squares, even with the brightness turned all the way up to 100 I still can't see all the "visible" squares.  Why is this?  I bought this TV from Costco last year and have just got around to adjusting the picture again after failing to dial it in last year with the Wow disc.  

Any replies are appreciated!!!!!

post #654 of 692 Old 01-24-2014, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Finally was able to order a copy of this. No one local had it. Should have it next week. Anyone use it on a Panasonic s60 series set?
post #655 of 692 Old 01-24-2014, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I used it on a 55ST50 with very pleasing results. I also have a 65V10 that I had professionally calibrated which is worth every penny. I checked the results the disk would give me and confirmed it works well. Understand you can't make all the adjustments a pro can using just this disk, but it is certainly worth the cost of the disk.
MilkManX likes this.

post #656 of 692 Old 01-28-2014, 09:04 AM

So went right into advanced options last night.

This disc is great! I had my set pretty dialed in with the THX Optimizer but there was some fine adjustments that the WOW disc helped with. I think over the years I have gotten a good eye for correct color but I found this very helpful for minor tweaks.

I am very happy with the overall product and would recommend this to both beginners and advanced AV people.

I have not even gotten to the sound options yet..
post #657 of 692 Old 01-28-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkManX View Post

So went right into advanced options last night.

This disc is great! I had my set pretty dialed in with the THX Optimizer but there was some fine adjustments that the WOW disc helped with. I think over the years I have gotten a good eye for correct color but I found this very helpful for minor tweaks.

I am very happy with the overall product and would recommend this to both beginners and advanced AV people.

I have not even gotten to the sound options yet..

What advanced options did you use that made the improvements over the THX Optimizer?
post #658 of 692 Old 01-29-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercell View Post

What advanced options did you use that made the improvements over the THX Optimizer?

The advanced Brightness,Contrast,Color,tint,refining the gamma.

I had to go back and forth through all of those settings a few times to dial it just right.
supercell likes this.
post #659 of 692 Old 02-09-2014, 11:51 PM

Just so you guys know Ebay has them for $14.09 free shipping brand new!!!

I just ordered mine and it is getting shipped tomorrow morning. I would pick one up guys!
post #660 of 692 Old 02-10-2014, 01:58 PM

Of course they do! Because I looked for weeks and had to pay 24 bucks lol!!
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Disney Wow World Of Wonder Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Disney by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page