Disney's WOW: World of Wonder (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 671 Old 01-09-2011, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I will trade you one for your Kuro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

If you like tweaking things to no end, this is a no brainer. I want this badly but don't have the funds right now. Anybody in the giving mood?

I didn't know this came with an HDMI cable?

Richard J. Casey

Disney WOW - World of Wonder

Producers Guild of America, New Media Council
(BD Industry Insider)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 671 Old 01-11-2011, 11:51 AM

Liked: 10
I got the Blu-Ray WOW from Wal-Mart ship to store 11/30/10 for $31.31 tax included. Wal-Mart still has it in stock.

The disc was easy to use. I did have problems setting contrast as I could never get the white lines to blend even at maximum settings, I ended up using a lower value for a better picture.

Now I can check my settings quickly by going directly to the expert menu.

I had used the monster DVD and there is no comparison, the WOW is much more detailed and better explained. Worth the money. I got two Blue-Ray disk (no HDMI cable)

Only frustrating thing is that my TV requires individual settings for each input and I can only use the WOW for my BD player and then copy settings over.

LG 47LD520 (LCD)
LG LHB335 Blu-Ray (5.1 surround sound)
post #63 of 671 Old 01-12-2011, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Make sure you turn off ALL of your "Auto Yuck" settings as we call them.

Every TV should calibrate with this disc as it is in compliance with industry standards for calibration.

If your TV is NOT calibrating properly, the disc is telling you something is wrong with your TV or Settings.

You may want to turn off all Auto Yuck and possibly turn down your backlight setting a bit.

Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcussen View Post

I got the Blu-Ray WOW from Wal-Mart ship to store 11/30/10 for $31.31 tax included. Wal-Mart still has it in stock.

The disc was easy to use. I did have problems setting contrast as I could never get the white lines to blend even at maximum settings, I ended up using a lower value for a better picture.

Now I can check my settings quickly by going directly to the expert menu.

I had used the monster DVD and there is no comparison, the WOW is much more detailed and better explained. Worth the money. I got two Blue-Ray disk (no HDMI cable)

Only frustrating thing is that my TV requires individual settings for each input and I can only use the WOW for my BD player and then copy settings over.

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #64 of 671 Old 01-12-2011, 09:04 AM

Please excuse my ignorance but as someone that knows nothing about calibrating a TV will this blu ray walk me through it? Is it as simple as step by step on screen directions or would it be a waste of time?

Just curious as someone who hasn't touched my Samsung LCD TV out of the box, can the picture quality really improve that much?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
post #65 of 671 Old 01-12-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:

Please excuse my ignorance but as someone that knows nothing about calibrating a TV will this blu ray walk me through it? Is it as simple as step by step on screen directions or would it be a waste of time?

Great walk thru! You don't have to know anything.
Quote:

Just curious as someone who hasn't touched my Samsung LCD TV out of the box, can the picture quality really improve that much?

If you do it correctly - it can look amazing!
My dad was about to throw his older (3 years) LCD out the door because he was never happy with the picture. Turns out it was still in "Torch mode" and was completely off on the colors and had every single terrible "picture enhancement" running.
We looked it up on this forum, found out which setting was closest to the standard (cinema, warm) - and ran the settings.
Contrast, brightness, color, tint, and sharpness - were set as close to standards as possible just with the disc and no expensive calibration instruments (not that I have any) - and it was like A NEW TV!
My dad has called a few times thanking me for saving him a bunch of money that would be needlessly spent on a newer TV that may be set the same way. (but we would have fixed that!)
With that in mind - I have noticed that a lot of newer models are thankfully set a lot closer to standards than they used to be. (I work at Sam's)
I recommend finding the forum post on here for your model and seeing what others have said about which settings are best.
But to answer your question - this disc is well worth the money! Especially for the Disney clips on it.
I also was upset that the Goofy cartoon I saw at the movies was not on there, but I understand now.
-Phil
post #66 of 671 Old 01-12-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcussen View Post

Not sure about your Blu Ray player, but on my PS3, if I have Super White enabled and using RGB limited I could not adjust contrast properly on the advanced test screen with the stars. I could not get the whiter than white stars to ever disappear. Turn off Super White and I could not make them appear, which I am ok with. I could set it so the checkerboard pattern fades right at the edge of the 0 box. (TV is a Sony 46HX800)

Very nice disc. I like it a lot more than DVE.
post #67 of 671 Old 01-12-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclark View Post

It has been shipped- here's the latest from target.com to me:

"Items shipped on Jan 4, 2011:
Forward arrow Estimated delivery: Jan 10, 2011 to Jan 13, 2011
1 package via UPS Mail Innovations Track your package

* Disney WOW: World of Wonder (2 Discs) (Widescreen) (Blu-ray)"
The price seems low compared to everyone elses, could be a mistake, but I bet I could get them to honor it.

Same here and with all the confirming, double checking the description, etc. mine arrived today and is NOT blu-ray. I am not a happy camper. I mean how hard is it to get a proper product description up on your website? That and someone called and actually confirmed itwas in fact the blu ray version with a CS Rep too??? Ridiculous...
post #68 of 671 Old 01-12-2011, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFilms View Post

Actually, that is not what I said.

The correct quote is:

"The original piece played in Movie Theaters. It did not seem appropriate for a disc about Home Theater"

Thanks..

Rich

Oh, Rich, so that was you??

Sorry for the mis-quote - I should have stated I was paraphrasing.

But how would a short about hooking up home theater equipment not seem appropriate for, well, a disc about hooking up home theater equipment? I still think you guys missed the boat on that call...

Regardless, the contents of the disc, at least what I saw at your demo, is quite impressive. I'll probably end up with a copy even though I'll have to get my Goofy "How To" fix hopefully from some other Disney release someday...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #69 of 671 Old 01-13-2011, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Proper calibration can improve your picture & sound dramaticaly.

Disney WOW - World of Wonder has very easy detailed instructions. I recommend the "Advanced" Optimize section...it is easy enough for beginners to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty1020 View Post

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #70 of 671 Old 01-13-2011, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

No Worries...

We gave it serious thought. However, we decided not to include it in its original form in the end. The piece on the disc was actually built from that Goofy short. However, the Goofy short did not have the educational content or presentation we were looking for. I am not producing a new disc anytime soon...but will keep it in mind for the future. There were several people that asked about this clip...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Oh, Rich, so that was you??

Sorry for the mis-quote - I should have stated I was paraphrasing.

But how would a short about hooking up home theater equipment not seem appropriate for, well, a disc about hooking up home theater equipment? I still think you guys missed the boat on that call...

Regardless, the contents of the disc, at least what I saw at your demo, is quite impressive. I'll probably end up with a copy even though I'll have to get my Goofy "How To" fix hopefully from some other Disney release someday...

Jeff

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #71 of 671 Old 01-13-2011, 06:58 AM

I bought WOW to calibrate both my plasma and projector setups but after playing around with it first on the TV the question dawned on me if it was even necessary since I have a THX setting.

I "think" THX automatically adjusts the settings just right but perhaps there is also tweaking needed based on viewing conditions and thats where WOW comes in?

I haven't yet tried it on my projector but will hopefully have time this weekend however overall found it very easy to use so far. Anyway, any clarification would be very helpful
post #72 of 671 Old 01-13-2011, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winky65 View Post

Not sure about your Blu Ray player, but on my PS3, if I have Super White enabled and using RGB limited I could not adjust contrast properly on the advanced test screen with the stars. I could not get the whiter than white stars to ever disappear. Turn off Super White and I could not make them appear, which I am ok with. I could set it so the checkerboard pattern fades right at the edge of the 0 box. (TV is a Sony 46HX800)

Very nice disc. I like it a lot more than DVE.

I will be using the PS3 for my calibration as well (as soon as the disc arrives)...I wonder if I'll have the same issues (although, I have a Samsung tv).

I'd like to hear what RBFilms thinks about the PS3's Super White and RGB settings.
post #73 of 671 Old 01-13-2011, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by tildawn10 View Post

I bought WOW to calibrate both my plasma and projector setups but after playing around with it first on the TV the question dawned on me if it was even necessary since I have a THX setting.

I "think" THX automatically adjusts the settings just right but perhaps there is also tweaking needed based on viewing conditions and thats where WOW comes in?

I haven't yet tried it on my projector but will hopefully have time this weekend however overall found it very easy to use so far. Anyway, any clarification would be very helpful

Just because it has a THX setting doesn't mean that it's 100% correct. I would run through the test disc and see how well the factory did in setting up your display.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #74 of 671 Old 01-13-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:

I will be using the PS3 for my calibration as well (as soon as the disc arrives)...I wonder if I'll have the same issues (although, I have a Samsung tv).

I'd like to hear what RBFilms thinks about the PS3's Super White and RGB settings.

I had RGB issues with the PS3 a while back and found forum after forum about it with really no clear cut answers.

Apparently, in PS3 "YPBPR", you MUST have Super White ENABLED to see Whiter than Whites.

In PS3 "RGB" - no matter what you will ONLY see 16-235, AKA NO Blacker than Blacks and NO Whiter Than Whites.

And also it was stated that "FULL" was incorrect for movies and that the correct setting in the PS3 should be "Limited."

I will try and find these links.

If someone knows differently Please share as I can also benefit from it.

-Phil
post #75 of 671 Old 01-14-2011, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

No pre-set calibration can take in to account your room lighting / environment. Some presets can get close to the ballpark, but fine adjustments are required to "dial-in" perfect picture and sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tildawn10 View Post

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #76 of 671 Old 01-14-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN99 View Post

Same here and with all the confirming, double checking the description, etc. mine arrived today and is NOT blu-ray. I am not a happy camper. I mean how hard is it to get a proper product description up on your website? That and someone called and actually confirmed itwas in fact the blu ray version with a CS Rep too??? Ridiculous...

I agree...I did the same thing....called...e-mailed to double check...received the DVD not the blu-ray. I did get a full refund plus refund for the shipping costs. Then I went ahead and ordered the blu-ray from them (this time the picture, description and price were correct)....I just hope it's right this time.

Ray
post #77 of 671 Old 01-14-2011, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Agree with Ralph on the PQ side of the review.. It is a great disk for calibration.. In terms of the sound, I disagree with the ratings as it seems to be excellent....

Christian

My DVD and Blu Ray collection

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
post #78 of 671 Old 01-14-2011, 02:30 PM

Heads up for anyone in the Disney Movie Club.

You can pick up the WOW Blu-ray for $9.99 with the purchase of one regular priced Blu-ray $29.99 and above. The offer is good through 2/7/11.

I bit on the offer since I was planning on getting WOW anyways, it at least takes the sting out of paying $32 for Beauty and the Beast. (buying that combination on Amazon today will cost you $44 total)
post #79 of 671 Old 01-14-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giraffejumper View Post
I had RGB issues with the PS3 a while back and found forum after forum about it with really no clear cut answers.

Apparently, in PS3 "YPBPR", you MUST have Super White ENABLED to see Whiter than Whites.

In PS3 "RGB" - no matter what you will ONLY see 16-235, AKA NO Blacker than Blacks and NO Whiter Than Whites.

And also it was stated that "FULL" was incorrect for movies and that the correct setting in the PS3 should be "Limited."

I will try and find these links.

If someone knows differently Please share as I can also benefit from it.

-Phil
I don't think that is entirely accurate. I have mine set at RGB Limited and when I turn on Super White I cannot make the whiter than white stars in the advanced contrast setting disappear. I think it did the same thing on RGB Full but would need to check to be sure. Might be a specific TV thing. When I turn off Super White I cannot see the whiter than white stars no matter the setting. The checkerboard blends to white at the correct spot, so I am ok with the setting. But have Super White on seems to be too much white.
post #80 of 671 Old 01-15-2011, 09:21 AM

People that use the PS3 for a BluRay player....do you think this disc was worth it? My disc hasn't arrived yet, so I don't even know what this "star" thing you're talking is....but did the rest of the tests help you out?
post #81 of 671 Old 01-15-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow4life View Post

People that use the PS3 for a BluRay player....do you think this disc was worth it? My disc hasn't arrived yet, so I don't even know what this "star" thing you're talking is....but did the rest of the tests help you out?

Yes, it is a great disc for calibrating. And the star test helped out fine. The only point I was making is that under certain settings on my tv, I could not see the whiter than white symbols, or the blacker than black. And under another setting I could not get rid of the whiter than white symbols. So the disc helped in telling me that was probably not the correct setting.

I have used DVE for years but I like the simplicity of using this disc better, and there is a lot of depth as well.
post #82 of 671 Old 01-15-2011, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a quick question. I have a 42 inch Kuro plasma which I had professionally calibrated when I first got it. After getting a new blu ray player I had the same guy come out to recalibrate it and he saw some of the original settings drifted. I just got my WOW disc and am going to use it on my LCD in my bedroom. My question is can I use the disc to see if any of my Kuro settings have drifted again? I dont know how accurate the disc would check with gamma settings or black and white levels compared to the equipment the guy who did my calibration had. I just dont want to change anything if needed and mess it up.
post #83 of 671 Old 01-16-2011, 05:12 PM

Liked: 15
MY Sony bluray player has a "theater" setting and a "standard" setting. WHich one should I use when calibrating with WOW??
post #84 of 671 Old 01-17-2011, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclark View Post

MY Sony bluray player has a "theater" setting and a "standard" setting. WHich one should I use when calibrating with WOW??

Do you also have a Sony TV? If you do, I think the "Theater" button on your BD player remote shifts the "scene" selection on the TV to "movie". I don't think it changes the output of the BD player. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

And, if you have a Sony TV, I think you can calibrate all of the "scene" selections separately.
post #85 of 671 Old 01-18-2011, 05:27 PM

Disc came in today.....quick thoughts:
The beginner's stuff was sort of worthless (expected)
I don't know if it's my TV or the PS3, but I just can't get the Brightness or Contrast tests to ever work the way they should (I did my older Samsung tonight which I was using CNET's recommended specs on).
I found that most of my settings were pretty good, only with the Blue Filter did I notice that my tint and color needed some slight adjustments.
Sharpness was pretty good already.
I did the video settings on Advanced but not the Image (I think that's what it's labeled) part yet (which seems a little more advanced).

I definitely noticed a little improvement in the coloring so far....I am looking forward to testing this out on my main TV tomorrow.
post #86 of 671 Old 01-18-2011, 07:31 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow4life View Post

Disc came in today.....quick thoughts:
The beginner's stuff was sort of worthless (expected)
I don't know if it's my TV or the PS3, but I just can't get the Brightness or Contrast tests to ever work the way they should (I did my older Samsung tonight which I was using CNET's recommended specs on).
I found that most of my settings were pretty good, only with the Blue Filter did I notice that my tint and color needed some slight adjustments.
Sharpness was pretty good already.
I did the video settings on Advanced but not the Image (I think that's what it's labeled) part yet (which seems a little more advanced).

I definitely noticed a little improvement in the coloring so far....I am looking forward to testing this out on my main TV tomorrow.

I had the same problem with my TV and PS3. I had to turn on Super White on the PS3 in order to see some of the stars in the WOW disc. Try that and see if it works.

post #87 of 671 Old 01-19-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal33 View Post

I had the same problem with my TV and PS3. I had to turn on Super White on the PS3 in order to see some of the stars in the WOW disc. Try that and see if it works.

With Super White on could you get the whiter than white stars to disappear? No matter what I set the contrast at they would not disappear. Which tells me Super White should be off. You should not see those stars. The checkerboard should fade away right in the middle, and I could not get it to do that with Super White on. TV is a Sony HX800.
post #88 of 671 Old 01-19-2011, 11:12 AM

Does this come with an HDMI cable?
post #89 of 671 Old 01-19-2011, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakdaripper View Post

Does this come with an HDMI cable?

Does it also come with speaker wire?

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #90 of 671 Old 01-19-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winky65 View Post
With Super White on could you get the whiter than white stars to disappear? No matter what I set the contrast at they would not disappear. Which tells me Super White should be off. You should not see those stars. The checkerboard should fade away right in the middle, and I could not get it to do that with Super White on. TV is a Sony HX800.
lol, I had the opposite problem.....whether I have Super White on or off....I can NOT see the Whiter Than White Stars....and unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, I couldn't see the ideal white ones either
Same goes for the black star pattern before it.
The PS3 has quite a few settings that I don't know what they actually do....as does my TV (though I tried to simply turn them all off)

I will look up the model # of my TV...right now I'm not sure what one it is
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Disney Wow World Of Wonder Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page