Disney's WOW: World of Wonder (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 671 Old 01-20-2011, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, I went through the disc (admittedly pretty quickly) and cannot find any color or greyscale patterns for adjustments other than the basic ones. The only color patterns I found are the basic ones limited to adjusting color and tint only.

My TV is pretty dialed in but I'd like to delve a little deepr and this disc doesn't seem to offer any more advanced patterns for this, even in the advanced section. On my Avia (SD) disc I really lieke the red, green, blue percent scales to see if the TV is "hot" or pushing any color. I also like the color clipping patterns in the Spears and Munsil disc. I don't see anything like that in the WOW set, which is disappointing. Am I just missing them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 671 Old 01-20-2011, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I just got this disc from DMR yesterday, and it's amazing. These are some of the best test patterns I've ever used. I have a new Sony KDL46EX400 and have already calibrated it, but this disc made it even better.

However, I have to turn my contrast up all the way to 98 to make the WTW stars disappear. Is this normal? Every other setting is near the middle. BTW, I'm using a PS3 with Super White enabled.
post #93 of 671 Old 01-20-2011, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Typically, enabling Super White "Enhanced" or "On" will clip your super white levels ... you should leave them "off" or "disabled" in most cases...but every manufacturer is different....so it is hard to say what the correct setting is globally across every manufacturer or model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow4life View Post

I will be using the PS3 for my calibration as well (as soon as the disc arrives)...I wonder if I'll have the same issues (although, I have a Samsung tv).

I'd like to hear what RBFilms thinks about the PS3's Super White and RGB settings.

Richard J. Casey

Disney WOW - World of Wonder

Producers Guild of America, New Media Council
(BD Industry Insider)
post #94 of 671 Old 01-23-2011, 05:19 PM

I'm TV calibration OCD so this disc is awesome. I had been using the Spears & Munsil disc and I find this disc not only having better features but much easier to navigate and use as well.
post #95 of 671 Old 01-25-2011, 11:27 AM

Question, do you guys create a "custom" setting on your tv when calibrating or do you take an existing preset, i.e. standard vs movie vs dynamic or any others and tweak those? I have the samsung 6300, and am wondering if i should create a custom setting or tweak a preset such as the standard preset.

Samsung 46" 6300 LED TV
Pioneer VSX-1120TX Receiver
Athena AS-F2.2 (Front L/R)
Athena AS-C1.2 (Center)
Athena AS-B2.2 (Surround L/R)
SVS PB10
Xbox 360
Playstation 3
post #96 of 671 Old 01-25-2011, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel212 View Post

Question, do you guys create a "custom" setting on your tv when calibrating or do you take an existing preset, i.e. standard vs movie vs dynamic or any others and tweak those? I have the samsung 6300, and am wondering if i should create a custom setting or tweak a preset such as the standard preset.

Greetings,

In most cases beginning with a preset like Movie, making adjustments to it automatically ends up moving the set into a user/custom preset mode. To answer your question, yes I would use a custom/user defined preset.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #97 of 671 Old 01-25-2011, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel212 View Post

You'll want to check in with the dedicated thread for your TV. Many of them have specific processing that's not available in custom modes or is turned on by default in a "movie mode" or the like. You may or may not want that processing. I know some of the Sammys will only handle 24p correctly in movie mode. Things like that are specific to any model TV and it's quirks. They also may start out a lot closer to correct in movie or cinema mode, meaning you will have less work to do.
post #98 of 671 Old 01-27-2011, 06:48 AM

Hi,

I am having some difficulty understanding how to properly set the contrast using the advanced contrast pattern. I have a Panasonic S2 plasma.

Previously I tried the THX patterns as part of the Terminator 2 bluray. I couldn't obtain what I thought where the correct settings. I realized that my bluray player was clipping (LG BD390). I did find that there is a "pic mode" on the bluray with an auto and user setting. There is a auto contrast as part of the auto mode so I switched to the user mode and made sure that it is turned off. Now when I run the contrast test I can see all the stars and except for the very right hand edge, all of the squares. I don't see a lot of change when I adjust the contrast on the TV. What should I be seeing (is this normal for my setup)

Thanks
post #99 of 671 Old 03-26-2011, 01:17 PM

Pixel flipper works fine on my ps3 but not on my panasonic btt350 blu ray player (it gets stuck) any thoughts?
post #100 of 671 Old 04-21-2011, 07:53 AM

Richard
Very nice disc! One question I was calibrating using projector but I have a
DLP projector should I use projector or DLP? I switched to calibrating with DLP.
I am not finished calibrating but was curious. Thank you for this disc I am happy
To have it as I was looking for a disc to calibrate my system to DTS MA HD specs.
I am a fan of DTS!
post #101 of 671 Old 04-22-2011, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank you..

You can use DLP or Projector. However, the Projector Path has some tools specific to aligning and focusing projectors...so you may want to stick with that.

I used to work for DTS. I can assure you those tones are spot on for calibrating to the SMPTE 200 Standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbull View Post

Richard
Very nice disc! One question I was calibrating using projector but I have a DLP projector should I use projector or DLP? I switched to calibrating with DLP.

I am not finished calibrating but was curious. Thank you for this disc I am happy to have it as I was looking for a disc to calibrate my system to DTS MA HD specs.
I am a fan of DTS!

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #102 of 671 Old 04-23-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:

I used to work for DTS.

Your my new best friend!
post #103 of 671 Old 04-24-2011, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

You have a very good eye..

There is a difference. We many, many, many months sourcing that filter and searched worldwide. The qualities we were looking for were accuracy, light transmission, and optical quality. There was only one blue filter that met all three criteria. That is the one we used.

Before the AVS Forum nay-sayers go crazy ... here is my standard disclaimer: A DYI Calibration not a substitute for a Professional ISF Calibration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClerkDante View Post

I got W.O.W. as a Christmas gift. I've used Avia for years and I gotta say this was a better experience. Navigation was so much easier and I think (could be just my brain playing a trick on me) that there's a subtle difference in the shade of the blue filters provided and I am much more pleased with the results achieved via the new Disney disc. Having high quality reference material on the same disc is also really tough to beat. I don't know about most people, but after an Avia calibration I'd then jump through a number of favorite discs to see how they look. Pulling from the Pixar catalog and mixing in some of their own live action content gives you plenty of footage right there to see if the calibration is to your liking.

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #104 of 671 Old 04-24-2011, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I know DTS very, very well. I served as the head of DTS Entertainment for a while...pre IPO. I contributed to the business plan for their IPO and I probably should have stuck around for their successful public offering ... maybe I would be retired now..

I am a huge fan of DTS and their technology after having worked there. Peeking behind the curtain allowed me to see how truly passionate and committed these folks are to Audio Quality. Quality is embedded in their Corporate Culture...and it is was refreshing to work for a company that truly cares about what they do.

As do we...

You will notice I use DTS on the all of the DRS (Digital Reference Standard) products we create. You will see this on all of the Monster Music Discs, Nature's Journey, Disney WOW, etc.

We have a genuine passion to create and deliver the best products possible. A product cannot qualify for the DRS Trademark unless it meets very specific criteria with respect to original native A/V source material.

The Audio Tools on our Disney WOW disc are Laboratory Reference Standard and were created in partnership as well as approved by DTS when they were first created. I can assure you they are 100% accurate for professional calibration.

Also, we do not believe in any dithering, cross conversions, up conversions, or any other signal processing when we handle native A/V source material.

We are also very specific about how Audio Mastering is handled. We only master Audio using a custom built Analog Tube system ... we never master using digital. I could go on and on about why, but suffice it to say, it yields superior results.

We also use very specific techniques, equipment, and engineers when it comes to video encoding as well. You will notice very high bit rates and superior encodes on DRS Products.

We really hope people enjoy our products and we will continue to create more in the future. I know we cannot please everyone, as there are more opinions than people, but we can surely try to please many...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbull View Post

Your my new best friend!

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #105 of 671 Old 04-24-2011, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

The Pixel FLipper is actually a BD Java Application. It is compliant with the BD SPec, so maybe a firmware update is required for your player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chodalad View Post

Pixel flipper works fine on my ps3 but not on my panasonic btt350 blu ray player (it gets stuck) any thoughts?

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #106 of 671 Old 04-26-2011, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Cooooool. DTS was what got me into this whole obsession with sound.. though technically starting in the theater. On one sunny morning on June 9, 1993 while watching Jurassic Park. Throughout my youth, I would make a point of going to see movies in DTS (or SDDS, of course )... In the theaters, Dolby Digital always seemed grating on the ears and far less dynamic to me (that part I never understood since it technically had a wider dynamic range than the other two.) The difference was also there for me on DVD, though not as drastic. It was very frustrating for me to see, what to me what the obviously inferior format, Dolby, to steal marketshare away from DTS in both the cinemas and on DVD (the day I saw a version of Jurassic Park in Dolby Digital, I about had a heart attack.) I'm really glad to see that trend reversing, on blu-ray at least. On blu-ray, the difference between the two formats is more subtle than it's ever been, but I'm glad to see the format that even got me interested in sound formats to be regaining a piece of the pie.
post #107 of 671 Old 04-27-2011, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, there is an interesting story behind DTS and their launch. The technology was originally invented for High QUality Audio for Telephony using T1 lines. That is why the original DTS Core was approximately 1.54mbps.

As you know, Steven Spielberg cam to them wanting a higher quality audio format for his movies. He gave DTS a challenge. More or less, he told DTS to make it work for my his movie in theaters, If they could do it, he would invest in their company. They did...and he did.

For Home Theater, the DTS core is far superior to DD. DTs uses approximately 3 to 1 lossy compression on a an average movie soundtrack verses Dolby which uses more like 12 to 1 or more lossy compression.

Yes, on Blu-ray Dolby uses the older MLP technology which they rebranded. DTS uses a lossless packing codec that they developed from the ground up.

I can say this. I was working with DTS when they developed the 96/24 Codec. I have never seen a more passionate group of people who really seem to care about quality and performance. Even though I no longer work with DTS...I am still a big fan and use their technology...exclusively where i can...on all of my products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post

Cooooool. DTS was what got me into this whole obsession with sound.. though technically starting in the theater. On one sunny morning on June 9, 1993 while watching Jurassic Park. Throughout my youth, I would make a point of going to see movies in DTS (or SDDS, of course )... In the theaters, Dolby Digital always seemed grating on the ears and far less dynamic to me (that part I never understood since it technically had a wider dynamic range than the other two.) The difference was also there for me on DVD, though not as drastic. It was very frustrating for me to see, what to me what the obviously inferior format, Dolby, to steal marketshare away from DTS in both the cinemas and on DVD (the day I saw a version of Jurassic Park in Dolby Digital, I about had a heart attack.) I'm really glad to see that trend reversing, on blu-ray at least. On blu-ray, the difference between the two formats is more subtle than it's ever been, but I'm glad to see the format that even got me interested in sound formats to be regaining a piece of the pie.

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #108 of 671 Old 05-02-2011, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFilms View Post
Yes, on Blu-ray Dolby uses the older MLP technology which they rebranded. DTS uses a lossless packing codec that they developed from the ground up.
There's a reason Dolby rebranded MLP... it works. TrueHD was working on BD players and decoders long before most consumers could take advantage of dts-MA. Don't get me wrong... dts with the lossless extension is great, but it was significantly complex enough that as usual dts was late to the game delivering product that consumers could use. Sure dts has some backwards compatibility built-in, but TrueHD worked just fine with hidden legacy DD encodes.

I know you have some interest in dts since you worked there, but don't discount Dolby. Dolby was innovating long before dts was even established. As far as lossless goes... at the same bitdepth and sampling frequency the end result is....... a track that is indistinguishable from the master (ie. lossless).

Quite frankly... I am surprised how quickly dts-MA has become the defacto standard audio on Blu-ray. If Sony had not given the PS3 the dts-HD upgrade for free then dts' fate would have been much different.

MLP/TrueHD is so simple it was easy to implement. The lossless audio track did not have to be rebuilt from a lossy encode with extension data. MLP just throws out a bunch of blank data(long strings of zeroes for quiet passages) and combines like data in the data stream (no sense to repeat the same data string shared between channels). MLP is so simplistic and it worked out of the gate.

post #109 of 671 Old 05-03-2011, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

The backwards compatibility to the DTS Core is a brilliant design by DTS...built from the ground up to be a single solution for AUdio Delivery on High Definition Formats.

Sure, they took longer...but came up with a better solution....and they designed it themselves.

Dolby took a piecemeal approach and licensed existing technology. Sure, it works..but it is not 100% compatible with other Dolby technologies.

The DTS Solution is simply a superior solution in my opinion.

Maybe some others agree? Is that possibly the reason why it is the defacto standard as you say?

Since when is a race to be first mean best? Maybe when you are talking about Betamax verses VHS perhaps..

Nothing wrong with MLP...it works...but as a Producer, I prefer DTS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post

There's a reason Dolby rebranded MLP... it works. TrueHD was working on BD players and decoders long before most consumers could take advantage of dts-MA. Don't get me wrong... dts with the lossless extension is great, but it was significantly complex enough that as usual dts was late to the game delivering product that consumers could use. Sure dts has some backwards compatibility built-in, but TrueHD worked just fine with hidden legacy DD encodes.

I know you have some interest in dts since you worked there, but don't discount Dolby. Dolby was innovating long before dts was even established. As far as lossless goes... at the same bitdepth and sampling frequency the end result is....... a track that is indistinguishable from the master (ie. lossless).

Quite frankly... I am surprised how quickly dts-MA has become the defacto standard audio on Blu-ray. If Sony had not given the PS3 the dts-HD upgrade for free then dts' fate would have been much different.

MLP/TrueHD is so simple it was easy to implement. The lossless audio track did not have to be rebuilt from a lossy encode with extension data. MLP just throws out a bunch of blank data(long strings of zeroes for quiet passages) and combines like data in the data stream (no sense to repeat the same data string shared between channels). MLP is so simplistic and it worked out of the gate.

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #110 of 671 Old 05-04-2011, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you..!

Yes, it is normal.

Older TV used to to white set clipping level anywhere from 60% to 80% on the control dial.

Most of the newer HDTV Panels set the clipping point at 100% or close to it as the maximum level. Why allow the TV to go in to clipping is the the thinking...and correct thinking it is in my opinion.

So, a 98% white setting is GOOD...and the more white stars you can see in the area leading to Super White...the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPC View Post

I just got this disc from DMR yesterday, and it's amazing. These are some of the best test patterns I've ever used. I have a new Sony KDL46EX400 and have already calibrated it, but this disc made it even better.

However, I have to turn my contrast up all the way to 98 to make the WTW stars disappear. Is this normal? Every other setting is near the middle. BTW, I'm using a PS3 with Super White enabled.

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #111 of 671 Old 05-10-2011, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I plan on picking this one up. Thank you for your honest review.

Shhhhhhhhh
post #112 of 671 Old 06-09-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFilms View Post

Proper calibration can improve your picture & sound dramaticaly.

Disney WOW - World of Wonder has very easy detailed instructions. I recommend the "Advanced" Optimize section...it is easy enough for beginners to use.

Hi there,
I just bought a panny VT20 and I am wondering whether I can tinker safely with the TV settings using Disney WoW. Do I have to do a proper run in?! (and how?)

Sorry for the amateurish question, because that's what I am
And thank you again..
post #113 of 671 Old 06-13-2011, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, 100 Hours Break-In Plasma is recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Ng View Post

Hi there,
I just bought a panny VT20 and I am wondering whether I can tinker safely with the TV settings using Disney WoW. Do I have to do a proper run in?! (and how?)

Sorry for the amateurish question, because that's what I am
And thank you again..

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #114 of 671 Old 06-20-2011, 04:46 PM

Just got an Onkyo 707, and connected all the speakers, etc...(have NOT run Audessey yet) ..hooked up my Sony BDP-S350 BluRay player..........thought everything was hunky dory, until....

I ran the audio test patterns, and 1) the sound for the Rear speakers is played out of BOTH rear speakers at the same time......never does play JUST out of the right or left rear speaker....

then I SEE the LFE icon.......it "lights up", but I hear no sound at all from anywhere............

Sure THOUGHT I knew what I was doing...........hope it's something simple....

Anyone with any ideas off the top of their heads?

Thanks.

Mike
post #115 of 671 Old 07-02-2011, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I got this BD last November on the Home Theater Cruise. It collected dust until a couple of weeks ago when I finally decided to upgrade my BD player. Loved the audio sync feature....

I set up black and white levels with the stars. When I brought in my local ISF guy to calibrate the display (LG 55LW5600), he didn't bother to touch my brightness and contrast settings, they were spot on. The display delivers a peak output of 56 foot-lamberts,which wowed him.
post #116 of 671 Old 07-15-2011, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
they offer a blu ray version and a dvd version of the disney wow disk. does it matter which one i buy and use to calibrate my tv?

i have blu ray player, dvd upconverter and new plasma tv.
post #117 of 671 Old 07-16-2011, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisfc1972 View Post

they offer a blu ray version and a dvd version of the disney wow disk. does it matter which one i buy and use to calibrate my tv?

i have blu ray player, dvd upconverter and new plasma tv.

Get the Blu-ray.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #118 of 671 Old 07-17-2011, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If anyone is interested, I am selling my Disney WOW (Blu-Ray version).
It was used once, and practically new. Everything included, including blue filter and manuals.
PM me for info, or you can do a search on Ebay under item number "230647472321"
post #119 of 671 Old 07-18-2011, 11:52 PM

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
post #120 of 671 Old 08-03-2011, 08:01 PM

So I recently took the plunge and ordered a new 60inch plasma,3D glasses, and this WOW calibration disc. My TV wont be here until Tuesday, but this disc arrived today. So I figured why not give it a shot on my 5+ year old 32inch Symphonic LCD. The menu navigation and step by step explanations seemed fantastic, the only issues I had was with my crap TV. Brightness & Contrast couldn't even be controlled to anywhere near the level they needed to be to match the test patterns. I had to go with settings that where the best I could come up with and at the end of calibrations my picture looked pretty close to my screens "movie mode." So i suppose the disc is a success so far, I cant wait to run it on my plasma as I am sure the picture quality is going to be magnitudes greater then what I have now.

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Disney Wow World Of Wonder Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page