Disney's WOW: World of Wonder (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 673 Old 01-08-2012, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi David,

Thank you...greatly appreciated...

I am an old school Audiophile / Videophile and tweak freak from way back. I have run my own business since 15 years old (Studio & Record Label).

However, I had to get a real job for a while between the ages of 18 and 20 to support a newborn baby. I sold Stereo Equipment for Sam Goody.

I would spend at least 20 to 30 minutes with every customer discussing equipment setup specific to their room and recommend tweaks to obtain the best possible sound in their home environment. I had four (4) times as many customers from these recommendations that the next best sales guy.

No big feat of salesmanship really. All it took was doing the right thing in the end to assure customers got the most performance and enjoyment out of their entertainment systems.

We work very hard to create these products and appreciate the support we get from everyone ...including professionals like yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Richard,

Your participation in this thread is outstanding and its one of the reasons why the "WOW" disc has become my "go to" recommendation when someone is looking for a calibration disc. I was on a Home Theater related podcast this week and gave it a plug: http://twit.tv/show/home-theater-geeks/93

Great job!

Richard J. Casey

Disney WOW - World of Wonder

Producers Guild of America, New Media Council
(BD Industry Insider)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 673 Old 01-08-2012, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

You are welcome.

Please let me know if you get an improved result..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post

Thanks for the suggestions, Richard

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #183 of 673 Old 01-08-2012, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 38
RB-

i too have been following this thread and tweaked my system per your recomendations with FANTASTIC results. thank you for that!!

whats your opinion on dipole speakers? i currently have direct radiating speakers for my side surrounds and dont particularly care for them anymore. i find that the ambient noise is too localized. i tried moving them around to try get rid of that, but no go. i know there is some arguments on the web about them, but i was wondering if you had some success with them or not. i hardly listen to music with my HT, so im not really concerned about the sound with them for music. im pretty much all tv/movies.
post #184 of 673 Old 01-11-2012, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Excuse the ignorance on this question. I run a HTPC to my screen via HDMI. I have a Blue-Ray player in the PC. Will this be sufficient for calibrating with this disc? I can use differing software Blue-Ray players (e.g., TMT or PowerDVD) if that matters or would they all be the same quality.
post #185 of 673 Old 01-12-2012, 01:10 PM

Liked: 12
Question on Sub placement RB. If you can't get the sub to be the same distance as the mains. Since there is no room on the side on the mains, but only in front or behind the main speaker which direction would you go?

Here is a crude line drawing where xx1 and xx2 are my choices for sub placement. Currently the sub is in spot xx1 about a 12" in front of the speaker and goes out past the speaker from the wall similar to as shown below. Main speakers are towed in so they are not quite blocked by the sub.

| --------------------- Wall ---------------|
| .... [.............................................] xx2|
| [s] [____________________________] [s] |
| .............. Display & Cabinet /\\ .......... xx1| ~Side Walls
|
................9.5’ to display 10.5’ to speakers
............................./\\..............
.........................[Chairs]..........

Thank you for your time looking at this.
post #186 of 673 Old 01-12-2012, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFilms View Post

Hi,

You should also check to assure your BD Player is calibrated...if you have one that allows you to adjust those settings. All of my players are calibrated as well as my HDTV sets.

Do you happen to know what the proper settings for the PS3 are...I have no idea what they should be. I noticed you had one in your photos...hopefully you'd know.
post #187 of 673 Old 01-13-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I use a slightly modified Cambridge Azur 751BD for BD Playback.

I only use my PS3 for Netflix & VUDU.

I use these settings.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10022389-1.html

Make sure your HDTV Panel is also set to RGB 16/235. This yields the best looking results without question in almost all cases.

The only issue for me is that my junk cable box wants to output Y'UV444. I am looking for a Cable Box or a TIVO Unit that outputs RGB 16/235 instead of Y'UV444.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow4life View Post

Do you happen to know what the proper settings for the PS3 are...I have no idea what they should be. I noticed you had one in your photos...hopefully you'd know.

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #188 of 673 Old 01-13-2012, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Hard to tell exactly what the room is like in this drawing...but it appears the back of the room would be best in your case.

Please let me know ow it works out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM View Post

Question on Sub placement RB. If you can't get the sub to be the same distance as the mains. Since there is no room on the side on the mains, but only in front or behind the main speaker which direction would you go?

Here is a crude line drawing where xx1 and xx2 are my choices for sub placement. Currently the sub is in spot xx1 about a 12" in front of the speaker and goes out past the speaker from the wall similar to as shown below. Main speakers are towed in so they are not quite blocked by the sub.

| --------------------- Wall ---------------|
| .... [.............................................] xx2|
| [s] [____________________________] [s] |
| .............. Display & Cabinet /\\ .......... xx1| ~Side Walls
|
................9.5' to display 10.5' to speakers
............................./\\..............
.........................[Chairs]..........

Thank you for your time looking at this.

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #189 of 673 Old 01-14-2012, 10:09 PM

It looked right the first time I put it up but now it looks messed up. I'll try that in the near future and see what it sounds like. Or is that listen to what it sounds like. Thanks for the reply RB.

On a side note I was playing with the video portion of WOW on my older RPTV and I could see but only the lightest stripe on the brightness pattern and only the darkest white on the contrast pattern. So thus I couldn't really use it for that. Its been a while since I've used. DVE on the set I'll need to play with it and see what happens. My set is starting to show signs of its age.

Not sure if it's equal for equal since I'll be using my HD-DVD of DVE for the comparison even though they both use the same DVI input on the TV via the receiver.

One last thing on this display I can't do the tint easily because it is covered by my adjustment screen. Is there a different pattern on the disk that puts the test on the top of the screen? It's not that important because I still have DVE and I bought WOW because I have a Bluray and just wanted to check it out and also I didn't have anything to test 7.1 with.
post #190 of 673 Old 01-15-2012, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, the drawing was difficult to decipher....but it appeared to me that the back of the room would provide the best results.

The patterns on our discs meet Industry Reference Standards ... so I am not sue why your set is giving you grief.

Please try the beginner video tools and let me know how that works for you on that particular Television. The beginner test patterns are a bit more forgiving and may yield better results in your case.

As far as the color pattern, most HDTV Panels minimize the overlay on screen once you start the adjustment process. If your set does not do this, and the overlay covers the key areas you need to view, then I can understand the difficulty you are experiencing. I am not sure how to overcome that obstacle.

Quote:

It looked right the first time I put it up but now it looks messed up. I'll try that in the near future and see what it sounds like. Or is that listen to what it sounds like. Thanks for the reply RB.

On a side note I was playing with the video portion of WOW on my older RPTV and I could see but only the lightest stripe on the brightness pattern and only the darkest white on the contrast pattern. So thus I couldn't really use it for that. Its been a while since I've used. DVE on the set I'll need to play with it and see what happens. My set is starting to show signs of its age.

Not sure if it's equal for equal since I'll be using my HD-DVD of DVE for the comparison even though they both use the same DVI input on the TV via the receiver.

One last thing on this display I can't do the tint easily because it is covered by my adjustment screen. Is there a different pattern on the disk that puts the test on the top of the screen? It's not that important because I still have DVE and I bought WOW because I have a Bluray and just wanted to check it out and also I didn't have anything to test 7.1 with.

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #191 of 673 Old 01-15-2012, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

The best workaround is to exit the adjustment menu entirely to periodically check the calibration with the filter. My brother's DLP TV does the same thing. It takes a little more work, but the end result will be the same i.e. make a slight adjustment, then exit the menu to allow you to view the entire test pattern, then go back to the menu and adjust as necessary.
post #192 of 673 Old 01-15-2012, 12:49 PM

RB it is the basic test patterns I'm using. It's just different for me because on DVE the have ramp patterns that I can see the difference with. When the instructions are on the screen and it shows what you are looking for I can see the ramps fully on both sides. I've never had a problems with the blacks or whites with this set. At one time after I had Avical (sp) calibrate the set it was one of the most brilliant and beautiful displays out there. So maybe the set is failing in not seeing the WOW ramps. I also noticed that the color adjustment can't really over saturate with too much red anymore. I report back when I get a chance to try DVE again.

Could the technology of the display not be compatible with the software. I'm not even sure what display type to select on the intermediate patterns. The set is a Toshiba 57HX93 RPTV.
post #193 of 673 Old 01-15-2012, 06:07 PM

RB got a chance to play with the brightness "problem" some more. Put HD DVE in and it worked fine. Put in the standard version in and it was okay too. Put in the DVD version in the bluray and the ramps did not show. Ah-ha it is the PS3 that was causing the problem.

I ended up setting RGB Full Range from Full to Limited and the patterns showed up from DVE. They also now show with the WOW image. I just need to remember this for when I get my plasma later in the year. Thanks for your time.
post #194 of 673 Old 01-16-2012, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi,

Did you look at all of the advanced patterns included with Disney WOW under "Evaluation Tools" ... I believe we have some similar patterns in that section of the disc.

Quote:

RB it is the basic test patterns I'm using. It's just different for me because on DVE the have ramp patterns that I can see the difference with. When the instructions are on the screen and it shows what you are looking for I can see the ramps fully on both sides. I've never had a problems with the blacks or whites with this set. At one time after I had Avical (sp) calibrate the set it was one of the most brilliant and beautiful displays out there. So maybe the set is failing in not seeing the WOW ramps. I also noticed that the color adjustment can't really over saturate with too much red anymore. I report back when I get a chance to try DVE again.

Could the technology of the display not be compatible with the software. I'm not even sure what display type to select on the intermediate patterns. The set is a Toshiba 57HX93 RPTV.

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #195 of 673 Old 01-16-2012, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, that is correct...RGB Limited on a PS-3 is the correct setting. So the DIsney WOW disc showed that there was an issue then where the other disc did not? Is that correct?

Quote:

RB got a chance to play with the brightness "problem" some more. Put HD DVE in and it worked fine. Put in the standard version in and it was okay too. Put in the DVD version in the bluray and the ramps did not show. Ah-ha it is the PS3 that was causing the problem.

I ended up setting RGB Full Range from Full to Limited and the patterns showed up from DVE. They also now show with the WOW image. I just need to remember this for when I get my plasma later in the year. Thanks for your time.

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #196 of 673 Old 01-16-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:

Yes, that is correct...RGB Limited on a PS-3 is the correct setting. So the DIsney WOW disc showed that there was an issue then where the other disc did not? Is that correct?

They both showed the problem. I also noticed how old my set is getting I can't see the 1% patterns on contrast or brightness, no matter what the levels are and I noticed I could no longer see a ramp I use to see on DVE. Still the picture looks real good considering all things.

Can anyone comment with a top tier plasma set how bright and dark the sets will display from the WOW patterns.
post #197 of 673 Old 01-17-2012, 03:55 AM
AVS Special Member

OK...I was confused because you had mentioned you could see patterns on one and not the other.

I have a Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M and a Pioneer Kuro KRP-600M. Both are professionally calibrated.

The KRP-600M has the ISF Day / Night Mode patch installed.

I was just using the WOW disc yesterday on the KRP-600M to check a few settings in Pure Mode, which is not a professionally calibrated mode.

I could easily crush blacks and clip whites using the control on my PDP. I could also go in the opposite direction and see all of the stars on either the brightness or contrast patterns.

I often use the uncalibrated Pure Mode to test and experiment with the settings on the KRP-600M using WOW disc against the ISF Day / Night Mode.

Hope that info helps.

Quote:

They both showed the problem. I also noticed how old my set is getting I can't see the 1% patterns on contrast or brightness, no matter what the levels are and I noticed I could no longer see a ramp I use to see on DVE. Still the picture looks real good considering all things.

Can anyone comment with a top tier plasma set how bright and dark the sets will display from the WOW patterns.

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #198 of 673 Old 01-17-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:

OK...I was confused because you had mentioned you could see patterns on one and not the other.

I have a Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M and a Pioneer Kuro KRP-600M. Both are professionally calibrated.

The KRP-600M has the ISF Day / Night Mode patch installed.

I was just using the WOW disc yesterday on the KRP-600M to check a few settings in Pure Mode, which is not a professionally calibrated mode.

I could easily crush blacks and clip whites using the control on my PDP. I could also go in the opposite direction and see all of the stars on either the brightness or contrast patterns.

I often use the uncalibrated Pure Mode to test and experiment with the settings on the KRP-600M using WOW disc against the ISF Day / Night Mode.

Hope that info helps.

Yes that's what I was looking for. So it seems that a quality set will push the blacks and the whites, but my old set is no longer capable of doing that. Can't wait for the 2012 plasmas to come out.
post #199 of 673 Old 01-17-2012, 09:08 AM

Follow up comment I do like the stars patterns that WOW uses. It makes it easier to see what you're not seeing.
post #200 of 673 Old 01-17-2012, 10:34 AM

Liked: 11
I just bought this disc to see what can be done.
I have used the AVS patterns(displayed form PS3 HDD-not blue ray) previously along with simple i2 colorimeter and my eyes.

My question revolves around extended range.
I calibrated my 73" MITSU DLP, no problems. Went upstairs to work on the PJ.
My PJ is fed by a PS3, no AVR in the middle. Super-white is on the PS3.

I found that when setting black and white levels individually, I had no issue.
Then came that pattern on the disc where BOTH whites and black are shown simultaneously.
I cranked and cranked the settings to no avail- until I enabled the expanded setting on the PJ and then I was able to achieve a balance of the 2.
Previously when using the AVS patterns I set my white/blacks using expanded, and the settings differ greatly from those I ended up with using the WOW disc.

For example, AVS patterns: -5 contrast, 0 brightness.
WOW : 8 contrast, -6 brightness.

Does anyone know what/why such difference? WOW is straight Blue-Ray, and the AVS patterns are displayed from the PS3 hard drive.

Clearly the PJ recognizes these as 2 unique inputs, because I can have one set of settings when using the WOW, and then when I put up the AVS images, I can see different settings applied by the PJ.

So should I really be treating these 2 sources as 2 individual black/white settings?
Should I use expanded- it does seem to be the only way I can get accurate contrast from either set of patterns.

I also wanted to say, the eye candy content on the disc is amazing! Truly is!
post #201 of 673 Old 01-18-2012, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Glad to hear that worked out.

Hopefully, Panasonic will get it right this year .... and if we are lucky, they will incorporate some of the technology that made the Pioneer KURO's great. They have a lot invested in their Plasma facility. Making the best Plasma would go a long way towards recouping on that investment.

It seems Marketing plays too great a role in the design of HDTV Panels these days ... when that changes, then we stand a chance of seeing fantastic HDTV Panels on the market again.

Quote:

Yes that's what I was looking for. So it seems that a quality set will push the blacks and the whites, but my old set is no longer capable of doing that. Can't wait for the 2012 plasmas to come out.

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #202 of 673 Old 01-18-2012, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Some possible issues:

Are you using the settings posted here for your PS-3?

Are you outputting RGB 16/235 from your BD Player?

I would imagine that something is not set correctly somewhere. The disc is a reference standard so I know the patterns are correct.

The settings on your Projector or your PS-3 may be the issue.

Are you feeding all sources as RGB or RGB 16/235 or YUV444 or YUV222 to your PJ?

Try setting your PS-3 using the settings in the link above to CNET. Check you PJ to assure you are set to RGB 16/235 and try again. If you have a cable box setup, you MAY need to feed everything YUV444 or use whatever the proper setting is for you cable box...since you cannot change that.

I calibrate your system so that all components feeding the system are sending the same type of signal. All RGB 16/235 or YUV444 for example. I am not sure about your PJ, but my Pioneer KURO "Auto Setting" does not work well. I have to feed one type of signal to the Panel ... either RGB 16/235 o YUV444 in my case, and calibrate using that mode, or I will not get a consistent look from all sources if I do not do this. I do not use the AUTO Mode ... as it does not seem to work all that well for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calimark View Post

I have used the AVS patterns(displayed form PS3 HDD-not blue ray) previously along with simple i2 colorimeter and my eyes.

Then came that pattern on the disc where BOTH whites and black are shown simultaneously.
I cranked and cranked the settings to no avail- until I enabled the expanded setting on the PJ and then I was able to achieve a balance of the 2.
Previously when using the AVS patterns I set my white/blacks using expanded, and the settings differ greatly from those I ended up with using the WOW disc.

Does anyone know what/why such difference? WOW is straight Blue-Ray, and the AVS patterns are displayed from the PS3 hard drive.

Clearly the PJ recognizes these as 2 unique inputs, because I can have one set of settings when using the WOW, and then when I put up the AVS images, I can see different settings applied by the PJ.

So should I really be treating these 2 sources as 2 individual black/white settings?
Should I use expanded- it does seem to be the only way I can get accurate contrast from either set of patterns.

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #203 of 673 Old 01-18-2012, 07:40 AM

FYI- Both PJ and DLP are fed by PS3's.
I will double check the setting on PS3 feeding PJ.

I know the Blue-ray shows up as Pb/Cb Pr/Cr on the PJ. I will check and see what the video files from the PS3 show up as. I have the epson 8700UB and as I recall once feeding it HDMI, there are no user options for the input format. All autodetect, but will verify. Thanks!
post #204 of 673 Old 01-18-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:

Some possible issues:

Are you using the settings posted here for your PS-3?

Thanks once again, I was looking for this information on the forums and didn't find it. Didn't know CNET had it all down with explanation.
post #205 of 673 Old 01-18-2012, 06:35 PM

ok PJ must be on expanded or it will never show a good amount of content- it will clip.
I verified this affects both Blueray and ps3 media input.

On the PJ Blue ray shows up as component video, and ps3 hdd media shows up as RGB.
Interestingly the PJ stores settings for each type, along with each resolution so 720P RGB is not the same as 1080P RGB and same goes for component.

So I guess to make things simple, I'd have to force the PS3 to RGB only. I'll have to research how that will affect things or not....

Also I guess the other half was my forgetting that I did not set my levels since getting a new screen, so those AVS settings were from a different screen and size.
post #206 of 673 Old 01-20-2012, 07:59 AM

Liked: 10
Hi All

This is my first foray getting into HDTV's and HD content. Now, I just bought the Philips 40pfl6606H/12

frankly, am disappointed with the colors. The vivid setting gives a too red picture, while the cinema setting makes everything too dull. Also, I cannot display HUE and CUSTOM TINT. I decided to invest in the WOW and before I put the money down, I have a few questions that I hope someone can help me with here.

1) How much of improvement can I expect with WOW? Does it make an average tv great?

2) What settings and functions must the TV ALREADY have, for this to work?

Hope to hear from anyone and everyone
Thanks a lot
GW
post #207 of 673 Old 01-20-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Any benefit of using this vs AVS709?
post #208 of 673 Old 01-21-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

My Pioneer KRP-500M and KRP-600M remember each device and needed to be calibrated for both 1080i and 1080p output.

I would suggest that you check your settings with each device and each type of output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calimark View Post

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #209 of 673 Old 01-21-2012, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

No...the patterns meet published standards & specifications. There is only one way to make these patterns...the correct way.

Quote:

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #210 of 673 Old 01-21-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Do not use Vivid mode.

Your TV needs to be calibrated...and yes, should see a huge difference.

Try using the following settings and then calibrate using a disc.

These are just a guess as I do not have any experience with that particular TV. However, these are the setting I used on a my a Philips TV owned by a friend of mine.

Picture Mode : Personal
Color Temperature : Warm
Aspect Ratio : Wide Screen
Digital Processing : Standard
Clear LCD : On
Digital Contrast : On
DNR : Off
Color Enhancement : Off
Active Control : Off

Please let me know how it looks after you calibrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwave84 View Post

Hi All

This is my first foray getting into HDTV's and HD content. Now, I just bought the Philips 40pfl6606H/12

frankly, am disappointed with the colors. The vivid setting gives a too red picture, while the cinema setting makes everything too dull. Also, I cannot display HUE and CUSTOM TINT. I decided to invest in the WOW and before I put the money down, I have a few questions that I hope someone can help me with here.

1) How much of improvement can I expect with WOW? Does it make an average tv great?

2) What settings and functions must the TV ALREADY have, for this to work?

Hope to hear from anyone and everyone
Thanks a lot
GW

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Disney Wow World Of Wonder Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Disney by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version