Studio and Year: Disney - 2010
MPAA Rating: NR
Feature running time: 180 minutes/60 minutes
Genre: Calibration Tool

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1, 2.35:1, 2.391
Resolution: 1080p/24, 1080i/60

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, English DTS Stereo (WOW), English DTS-HD 5.1/7.1 Master Audio (Visions)
Music by: Michael Sterns and Fritz Heede
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 2, 2010

"Take home theater from good to great"

Film Synopsis:

Through Home Entertainment, The Walt Disney Studios has introduced the Disney WOW World of Wonder Disc, its first-ever easy to follow guide to optimally setting up High Definition (HD) home entertainment systems. Available on Blu-ray and DVD, the Disney WOW disc is designed to help consumers get the best quality experience from their home theater systems providing everyone from beginners and enthusiasts to experts and custom installers alike with valuable high quality calibration tools.

My Take:

The Disney WOW disc has been engineered to meet or exceed the Digital Reference Standard for ultra high fidelity picture and sound delivering the best home theater presentation possible. It will be offered along with exclusive content on a bonus disc, an added Disney film and a high performance HDMI cable.
Viewers learn the basics of HD and home theater alongside Disney’s classic character GOOFY, then follow basic instructions to maximize home theater performance through an easy to follow on-screen menu. The disc packaging also includes an in-depth illustrated handbook. The Disney WOW disc is comprehensive and applicable to everything from flat panel displays and OLED screens to projection equipment and CRT based TV sets, as well as multiple sound formats ranging from Stereo to 7.1 Channel Surround. There are 35 easy-to-use A/V Calibration and Evaluation Tools for Beginners, Advanced and Expert Home Theater Enthusiasts. A/V Tools in the Beginner section are designed for ease of use in the proper alignment of home theater equipment.
The Advanced section contains A/V Tools that address professional evaluation and calibration tasks for specific monitors, displays, and projectors. Illustrations in the included 56 page booklet and the on-screen guide provide clear examples of properly and improperly calibrated A/V test patterns.

The Disney WOW World of Wonder disc is presented in several packaged configurations with either a single disc version or a two (2) disc version available. The two disc packaging features two discs: the WOW instructional A/V calibration and demonstration disc, which includes clips from popular Disney titles including Toy Story, UP, Bolt and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End, and, as special added content, an exclusive disc called VISIONS: Inspired by Nature, featuring breathtaking natural and digitally created landscapes with original music scores and ambient sounds.

As audio/video enthusiasts we are accustomed to (or should be at least) looking at accurate video displays and hearing properly reproduced sound from our home theater setups. Over the years I have used various setup/calibration discs to assist with getting the most from the systems I have owned or adjusted for others. As the demand for home theater entertainment has increased so has the accuracy and complexity of the setup/calibration tools offered on the software becoming available to the consumer. I have heard very positive things about Disney’s World of wonder and jumped at the chance to try it out when they offered it for review. Having the opportunity to work with them on Blu-ray Disc reviews I am aware of just how seriously they take their commitment to the medium as well as the professional manner with which they handle every aspect of their operation. This Home Theater calibration software is just such an example which is evidenced by the thorough and thoughtful approach they have undertaken to ensure the comprehensive and user friendly nature of its components. I recently upgraded to a 3D ready JVC 1080p front projector and used it to put World of wonder’s video calibration/adjustment/test suite to good use. Using the Advanced level material I was able to dial in the projector’s contrast, brightness, gamma, and color/hue. Additionally I was able to run tests for resolution, grayscale, overscan, sharpness/focus and white/black clipping.

I appreciated the tutorial/description that accompanied each item which aided in faster analysis. The various levels of the calibration/adjustment/test tools are well defined and explained. This assists both novices and advanced users in understanding how best to implement them. Of all the calibration discs I have used the menu system here is the simplest to navigate. There are categories contained therein that will allow adjustment of the most basic A/V setups all the way up to sophisticated systems that incorporate high end sound/display systems. Users have the option to tweak as simply as they would like or if they have the proper test equipment as in-depth as their level of expertise will allow. Disney has gone to extra mile and incorporated a multitude of reference/demo material which can be utilized to gauge the results post calibration.

For those who wish to take it a step further the Visions bonus disc contains beautifully captured high definition video and audio clips that can be used to show off your newly adjusted system. If you’re new to all of this and are unsure of where to begin I recommend you start with the “Discover” menu and let Goofy take you through the beginner’s basics. This is a great introduction that outlines many of the basic components needed to obtain a general understanding of some of the key elements that will help with the optimization process. Kudos to Disney and R&B Films on a wonderful product that can be employed by anyone wishing to get the most out of the investment they have made in their home audio/video system.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 86

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 100

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Disney’s World of wonder comes to Blu-ray Disc featuring AVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD Master Audio sound.

The test and reference/demonstration material as well as the incorporated menu systems on both the WOW and Visions: inspired by nature makes for flawless high definition imagery that results in a superlative overall video presentation that looks amazing regardless of the size of your display. The audio setup/calibration is designed so that it can be used for optimization with or without a sound pressure level meter. The adjustment options range from stereo to 7.1 channel systems and allow users to dial in speaker/subwoofer levels (meter required), individual channel identification, polarity tests, noise floor, buzz/rattle test and A/V synchronization. The sound quality for the variety of test signals is what you might expect and is fine. The DTS-HD Master Audio sound on the various clips from the Disney titles found under the “Experience” menu is consistent with the quality found on their full HD releases and is of course excellent (see my reviews for full descriptions). Visions: Inspired by nature contains a nice blend of environmental sounds and music that comes in both 5.1 and 7.1 (depending) channel mixes. The quality of the recordings is high and the surround mix makes effective and well integrated use of the platform to create an aurally stimulating and pleasing experience.

Overview of diagnostic and calibrations tools:

Discover

• For the Beginner:

1. Home Theater Basics With Goofy
  2. Easy As 1-2-3
  3. Lost University
  4. Split Screen Showdown

• For Advanced users:

1. What Makes up A Picture?
  2. What Is Sound?
  3. What Is Compression?
  4. What are interlaced/progressive
  5. What is 24 frame playback?

Optimize

• Beginner – Video Tools:

1. Brightness
  2. Aspect Ratio
  3. Contrast
  4. Color
  5. Sharpness

• Viewing angle - Find the best seat in the house

•  
  • Beginner audio Tools:

1. Speaker ID
  2. Polarity Test
  3. Noise Floor
  4. Buzz & Rattle Test

Advanced video tools - For optization of LCD, Plasma, DLP, Front projectors, OLED and CRT Displays:

• Video Calbration Tools for adjusting -

1. Advanced Brightness & Contrast
  2. Aspect Ratio
  3. Convergence
  4. Chroma & Hue
  5. Sharpness/Focus
  6. Overscan Test
  7. A/V Sync

Display evaluation tools:

1. Purity
  2. Scaling Test
  3. Advanced Scaling 1 & 2
  4. Sharpness/Focus
  5. Hyperbolic Zone Plate
  6. White-Black Clipping
  7. Viewing Angle Test
  8. Gamma Response
  9. Grayscale
  10. Scaling Test
  11. Advanced Scaling 1 & 2
  12. Sharpness/Focus
  13. Hyperbolic Zone Plate
  14. White-Black Clipping
  15. Viewing Angle Test
  16. Gamma Response
  17. Grayscale
  18. Compound Test Chart

Advanced audio Tools – Includes the beginner tests above and adds A/V synch, speaker level and subwoofer level adjustments

Expert - Professional evaluation Tools

• High Definition Shootout – Standard Definition DVD vs. High Definition Blu-ray

• High Definition Demonstration Video Clips from popular Disney Blu-ray titles.

•  

Bonus Features:

• BD-Live Access

• "Visions: Inspired by nature" Bonus Disc

Accessories :

• 52 page instruction booklet

• Blue filter (for use with portions of the video calibration)

Final Thoughts:

Disney’s World of Wonder is an outstanding addition to the current crop of audio/video calibration discs available for consumers. Its intuitive design, comprehensive A/V calibration suite and user friendly approach make it an effective and powerful tool for beginners, advanced do it yourselfers, or calibration professionals. Kudos to Disney and executive producer/director Richard J. Casey of R&B Films on a wonderful product that makes for a terrific resource for those looking to get the most out of the investment they have made in their home audio/video system.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 676 Old 01-03-2011, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Hmm......

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #3 of 676 Old 01-03-2011, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How does this compare with the offerings from AVIA, and DVE?
post #4 of 676 Old 01-03-2011, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by JN99 View Post

How does this compare with the offerings from AVIA, and DVE?

Greetings,

I have both Avia and DVE which are both very good. I would recommend this one.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #5 of 676 Old 01-03-2011, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Thanks for the review Ralph. I was not aware that this was already available. I doubt it has much that I don't already own as far as test discs, test patterns, etc. However, being both a Disney freak AND an A/V tweaker, this is a must buy for me!
post #6 of 676 Old 01-03-2011, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I got W.O.W. as a Christmas gift. I've used Avia for years and I gotta say this was a better experience. Navigation was so much easier and I think (could be just my brain playing a trick on me) that there's a subtle difference in the shade of the blue filters provided and I am much more pleased with the results achieved via the new Disney disc. Having high quality reference material on the same disc is also really tough to beat. I don't know about most people, but after an Avia calibration I'd then jump through a number of favorite discs to see how they look. Pulling from the Pixar catalog and mixing in some of their own live action content gives you plenty of footage right there to see if the calibration is to your liking.
post #7 of 676 Old 01-03-2011, 01:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Hi Ralph,

Does this have reference photos that involve humans?

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
HAA Design Certified -THX Certified Professional

Design-Video & Audio Calibration Information

The original Pro Theater Layout
post #8 of 676 Old 01-03-2011, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 248
If you like tweaking things to no end, this is a no brainer. I want this badly but don't have the funds right now. Anybody in the giving mood?

I didn't know this came with an HDMI cable?

home theater addict
post #9 of 676 Old 01-03-2011, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMikeBravo View Post

Hi Ralph,

Does this have reference photos that involve humans?

Greetings,

Yes, some.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #10 of 676 Old 01-03-2011, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

I didn't know this came with an HDMI cable?

Greetings,

My review copy did not come with an HDMI.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #11 of 676 Old 01-03-2011, 02:08 PM

i am really glad i chose this disc set over the other offerings after reading this review, thank you ralph. i have yet to use it, but the user friendly attributes sold the product to me. i'm in no way a seasoned calibrator.

my set was the 2 disc set, no hdmi cable.
post #12 of 676 Old 01-03-2011, 02:58 PM

Thanks for the review Ralph.

I've heard rumor that this is available through Disney's Movie Rewards but I can't find it. Does anyone know if it's still available?
post #13 of 676 Old 01-03-2011, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I haven't seen this one, but I have used Avia and Avia II with good results for my DVD player and display. In contrast, I recently purchased the Spears & Munsil disc when I bought a Blu-Ray player. I found it nearly unusable. Some of the calibration screens made no visible change to my monitor even though I cranked the appropriate monitor control all the way up and down. I ended up with a dim and fuzzy picture. After I put the Avia II disc into the player and calibrated the monitor, the result was much, much better, even though it's a DVD and not a Blu-Ray disc.

I found the Spears & Munsil disc to be a complete waste of $25. In addition to calibration screens that either did nothing or gave a poor result, it contained all of these cadence test clips and test patterns which are fine for benchmarking a player--but they add nothing to the quality of video signal I get, since there are no settings to change that will improve the results. And there was little or no explanation of how to use them, although there was a bit more info in some articles on the S&M website.

I'm hoping the Disney disc is better!

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #14 of 676 Old 01-03-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanum_e View Post

Thanks for the review Ralph.

I've heard rumor that this is available through Disney's Movie Rewards but I can't find it. Does anyone know if it's still available?

It was briefly availible last month on Disneymovierewards, but quickly went Out of Stock. They have since then removed it from their list. I found a copy at Fry's.
post #15 of 676 Old 01-03-2011, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I'm on the waiting list for one via DMR before they pulled it...

I have to ask, though... why the relatively low rating on the audio side?

An 86 might be good for a movie, but for a disc intended to be a calibration disc... that seems like a low score.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #16 of 676 Old 01-03-2011, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Might have to pick this one up. I got a Panasonic VT25 for my basement. I am going to get a professional calibration done, but for the meantime I would at least want to dial in some of the basic settings such as contrast and brightness. I find the AVS 709 to be difficult. Seems like the Disney disc is more user friendly.
post #17 of 676 Old 01-03-2011, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I'm on the waiting list for one via DMR before they pulled it...

I have to ask, though... why the relatively low rating on the audio side?

An 86 might be good for a movie, but for a disc intended to be a calibration disc... that seems like a low score.

Greetings,

No worries regarding the quality of the audio calibration tools. As I alluded to in the review the rating is based more so on the quality associated with the Visions: inspired by nature soundtrack. I didn't feel it would be necessary to provide an audio rating for test tones etc. as they are fairly common/generic.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #18 of 676 Old 01-03-2011, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 160
I've been pondering buying this, I think I'll get I have of the calibrating disc mentioned above and I can't tell head or what from them..I'm hoping these are more for the goofy AV enthusiast like me.

Djoel
post #19 of 676 Old 01-03-2011, 08:11 PM

Liked: 15
i just ordered one from target.com. With standard shipping and tax, the cost for the bluray disc was $27.
post #20 of 676 Old 01-03-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclark View Post

i just ordered one from target.com. With standard shipping and tax, the cost for the bluray disc was $27.

Just looked at Target.com... the price is low and it is listing the item as BLU-RAY, but they show the picture being DVD? Never trust the chain stores when buying something like this, though a good price.

EDIT:
I just noticed the version that Target has in stock is the "Widescreen", appears to be two versions.
post #21 of 676 Old 01-03-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclark View Post

I checked this out too, but I'm fairly sure you're going to be sent the DVD version. They screwed up their advertising. The estimated shipping dimensions are that of a DVD case. At least you can return it to a store.
post #22 of 676 Old 01-03-2011, 09:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
So I'm the only one who got this just for the Goofy clip?

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
post #23 of 676 Old 01-03-2011, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I have to echo Ralph's review on this disc, it's outstanding, especially the demo-quality visuals.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #24 of 676 Old 01-04-2011, 06:04 AM

So do you need professional calibration tools to use the advanced modes of this disc?
post #25 of 676 Old 01-04-2011, 06:09 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

I've been pondering buying this

Im still pondering wether I want this also

Frank

post #26 of 676 Old 01-04-2011, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by oland View Post

I checked this out too, but I'm fairly sure you're going to be sent the DVD version. They screwed up their advertising. The estimated shipping dimensions are that of a DVD case. At least you can return it to a store.

Wow should the store not then give him the Blu-ray for the price mentioned in their advertised page. It literally says (Blu-ray) with a picutre of a DVD and then is says Also available in Blue-Ray at the bottom. Man I hate when this stuff happens. $65+ on Amazon
post #27 of 676 Old 01-04-2011, 07:12 AM

Does the advanced section work with you on Service menu adjustments? Assuming you know how to get there and are comfortable with making them?
post #28 of 676 Old 01-04-2011, 07:27 AM

Liked: 11
Sold out at Amazon, must be a demand for this!
post #29 of 676 Old 01-04-2011, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

It looks like Target has the cheapest price on this at $22.89. Think i'll just pick it up at a local Target store.

Cheers
post #30 of 676 Old 01-04-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

It looks like Target has the cheapest price on this at $22.89. Think i'll just pick it up at a local Target store.

Cheers

That is the DVD version. It was mentioned above. If you look closely it says "Also available on Blu-Ray". Click it and it'll take you to an out of stock blu-ray version.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Disney Wow World Of Wonder Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Disney by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page