Gabriel Iglesias: "I'm not fat...I'm Fluffy" (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-04-2011, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 458
attachment.php?attachmentid=196600&d=1294157616
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373647

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Paramount - 2009
MPAA Rating: NR
Feature running time: 69 minutes
Genre: Live performance/Comedy

Disc Format: BD-25
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080i/60

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Digital 5.1, PCM Stereo
Subtitles: English SDH, English
Starring: Gabriel Iglesias
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: January 11, 2011

"Clean and funny!"

Film Synopsis:

Gabriel Iglesias returns to the stage in this all-new comedy special in front of a packed house at the historic Plaza Theater in El Paso, Texas. Go to the restroom before you watch this and be ready to watch it again and again. I'm Not FatI'm Fluffy will be a classic!!!

My Take:

Prior to receiving this for review I had never heard of Gabriel Iglesias. After watching it I looked him up and got some background from his website. Here is a quote from his bio that I felt perfectly described the experience I had watching him perform:

Gabriel Iglesias has been described as unbelievably funny, electrifying, and a gifted performer who has the ability to consistently deliver a quality comedy experience in every venue he performs in. His high-octane show is a hilarious mixture of storytelling, parodies, characters and sound effects that bring all his personal issues to life. Gabe's clean, animated comedy style has earned national crossover appeal.

Gabriel Iglesias is a hoot! His quick wit, sound effects and animated style reminded me of two of my favorite standup comedians, Bill Cosby and Sinbad. I like comics that draw from life's awkwardly funny moments as well as experiences that would otherwise not really be something you might see as funny. He often makes references to his family in his act and pokes fun at cops, President Obama, Paul Rodriguez (his imitation is spot on!) and Nickelodeon. His bit about eating at Chico's Tacos which leads into the Cakes & more cakes skit cracked me up. I'm Not Fat I'm Fluffy Live from El Paso premiered on Comedy Central on November 8, 2009. I am not an avid Comedy Central watcher but do catch some of the comic acts from time to time. Gabriel Inglesias is clean, funny and presents his standup routine so that the material seamlessly flows from one skit to the next. I watched it with my wife and two teenagers and we had a ball.

Parental Guide:

This performance is unrated and contains thematic material and references that would be inappropriate for young viewers. A TV-14 rating would be suitable.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 70

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 80

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Gabriel Iglesias - I'm not fat..I'm Fluffy: Live from El Paso comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount HE featuring 1080i AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 Mbps and lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 channel audio that has a constant bitrate of 640 kbps.

This live onstage performance boasts vivid and pleasing colors that stand out well against the indoor and static imagery of the venue where it was filmed. Under the bright lights fleshtones appear a bit washed out but remain lifelike. Resolution is good but can be a mixed bag depending on the camera's angle. Images are resolved well in most cases as detail rendering and depth are appreciable. Blacks are stable but not noticeably strong but again this has more to do with the visual style of the video. There is mild and intermittent digital noise that is primarily visible against dark backgrounds but it isn't detrimental. The majority of this presentation looks great and is exactly what you might expect of live recording like this.

The front loaded Dolby Digital audio presentation is open, clear, and easily conveys the dialogue heavy elements of the source. The running commentary is firmly entrenched in the center channel with the crowd/background noise bled to the left/right speakers with notable channel separation and imaging. This isn't a particularly engaging audio presentation but it capably renders the recorded elements and sounds fine.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Deleted scene: High school reunion - 7 minutes

• (HD) Fluffy's friends hit the stage

1. Martin Moreno - 5 minutes
    2. Noe Gonzalez - 4 minutes
    3. Onstage Q&A with the fans - 8 minutes

Final Thoughts:

I'm Not Fat I'm Fluffy Live from El Paso premiered on Comedy Central November 8, 2009 and captures stand up funnyman Gabriel Iglesias at his best. I found his clean standup routine which is a mixture of storytelling, parodies, characters and sound effects to be perfectly timed and funny. This high definition Blu-ray presentation from Paramount Home Entertainment appears faithful to the program's originally recorded elements and includes a few additional skits that feature Gabe, two of his friends (who are also stand up comics) and an entertaining Q&A with Gabe taking questions from the audience in El Paso. If you enjoy a good standup act Gabriel Iglesias is worth checking out.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-06-2011, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Ralph,

Nice review...we watched this tonight and thought it was hilarious. He does great impersonations.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision MagazineĀ (Print & Online)

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Gabriel Iglesias Im Not Fat Im Fluffy Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Gabriel by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page