Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2009
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 162 minutes
Genre: Fantasy/Adventure/Sci-fi

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Portuguese, Spanish
Starring: Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Stephen Lang, Michelle Rodriguez, Sigourney Weaver, Giovanni Ribisi, Laz Alonzo, Wes Studi, CCH Pounder
Written & Directed by: James Cameron
Music by: James Horner
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: December 1, 2010

"Enter the world"

Film Synopsis:

A reluctant hero. An epic journey. A choice between the life he left behind and the incredible new world he's learned to call home. Return to James Cameron's Avatar - the greatest adventure of all time.

My Take:

I have previously reviewed both the original release and extended versions of Avatar on Blu-ray. This 3D release is currently only available as part of an exclusive offer when purchasing Panasonic 3D products and contains the originally released version of the film. This review will contain my original comments relative to the film as well as my remarks on the quality of the high definition 2D presentation. Additionally, I will comment on the quality of the 3D presentation as well as adding a numeric rating based upon the rating elements found below.

Let's face it James Cameron knows how to create a motion picture that seems to truly represent his vision as a filmmaker. I am probably one of the only few reading this that didn't see Avatar in the theater. My kids saw it but my wife and I just never got around to it. I am a fan of Cameron's and have been for years but this is a film that deep down I felt I wanted to experience for the first time in my own theater room. I wasn't disappointed. Avatar is the name given the biologically engineered, genetically matched and remotely controlled suits created so that humans could interact with the indigenous humanoid Na'vi of the distant planet of Pandora. A fertile and lush world inhabited by a host of alien species and a precious material known as unobtainium, a room temperature, super-conductor for energy, which makes it very valuable. A joint military/civilian scientist outpost has been established on Pandora for the purposes of mining it however the Na'vi are not open to intruding outsiders and their colony rests on the area where the highest concentration of unobtainium is located. Jake Sully is a former marine and paraplegic whose recently deceased twin brother was slated for the Avatar program. Because Jake is a genetic match for his brother he has been brought to Pandora to take his place.

He meets with both the military and civilian personnel who both have completely different agendas. The military is employed by a corporation seeking the unobtainium and the scientists, holding the key through the Avatar program, seek to study the planet and its inhabitants. Jake is brought into the fold and quickly learns how the corporation/military want there agenda met when they instruct him to use his recently acquired relationship with Neytiri, a female of the Na'vi to gather intelligence to help supplant the tribe. After living among the Na'vi and being instructed in their customs through Neytiri Jake begins to lose focus on the mission. He becomes enamored by their world and finds himself falling for Neytiri. Once this becomes evident the corporation instructs the military to move in forcibly which results in a standoff that leaves Jake right smack in the middle. Does he assist in the destruction of the Na'vi and the world he has grown to love or does he stand with them in defense of their home against a mightier and better prepared army?

Avatar's premise about an undercover that becomes seduced by the world which he is infiltrating is certainly nothing new. Formulaic or not this story strikes all the requisite chords and has enough substance to keep interest from waning. Quite honestly I think that for me the real attraction here is found both in the combination of the story's elements and the visual stimulation contained in the imaginary world created by James Cameron. I am a sucker for the good versus evil, little guy taking on the giant concept so this one lured me in early on. Being a fan of Cameron's past works this felt like slipping on a brand new pair of shoes and already having them broken in. I can't say that everyone will feel the same but I found Avatar to be highly entertaining and well worth an evening spent.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for intense epic battle sequences and warfare, sensuality, language and some smoking.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 100

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: Detail:%20%3Cimg%20src=

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 100

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

3D Quality: 100

• Depth (Onscreen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dimension (Beyond the screen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Realism: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Avatar 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded 3D video and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound.

This is a stellar high definition presentation that boasts rich, delineated primary colors, beautifully lush pastels and vibrant hues that are vivid, bold and striking in high definition. The video quality is nothing short of mesmerizing in its depiction of the film's digitally crafted images. Objects onscreen are exquisitely detailed with a luminous and sparkling clarity that seems infinitely lucid and three dimensional. It never left me wanting for fine degrees of subtle refinement and texture. The attention to detail in the construction of the Na'vi's physical characteristics is truly impressive and can be fully appreciated thanks to this presentation's exquisite level of definition. Contrast is strong and blacks are deep without compromise to delineation. Shadowy areas exhibit excellent depth of field and visible gradational stages. The various wide angle shots of the visually complex world of Pandora look absolutely stunning. Flesh tones are not overtly complex in tone but appear diverse in subtle structure and complexional makeup. This is a sophisticated visual design that uses real imagery mixed with CGI. The end result is a flawless and superlative video presentation that truly evokes the spirit and emotion of the film.

I have watched a variety of 3D high definition video both animated and live action. 3D has never truly been something that I have been drawn to however bringing it into the home in high definition intrigued me. I have always found the gimmicky nature of 3D off putting and the imagery combined with the uncomfortable glasses always seemed to give me a headache. I hoped that this implementation would prove to be an improvement which would elevate the experience. I am please to report that it is and so far the most impressive example I have seen is Avatar. Detail is well preserved as the image retains its high level of clarity as objects within the frame are delineated and sharp. I was mesmerized by the depth and realism of the three dimensional imagery. The separation of objects or people in the foreground/background is incredibly lifelike which serves to visually draw you in by creating a more discerning sense of virtual space occupied by things of various sizes and shapes. This is done to superb effect and rarely resorts to the sort of gimmicks that have things shooting/protruding out of the screen in an obvious attempt to garner audience reaction. That isn't to say that there is anything wrong with the occasional use of flying objects etc. to stimulate the senses but many times this is overused and can become fatiguing. Fidelity is intact as the film's gorgeous array of colors, defining contrast and rich blacks bring the world of Pandora to life with startling results. If I had to describe the experience of watching Avatar in 3D I would describe it as natural and completely involving. I didn't notice any obvious signs of ghosting or 3D related anomalies and never experienced eye strain/fatigue.

The DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack is reference quality and is sure to please those who like to play their systems loud. I had high expectations for this soundtrack and this lossless audio presentation didn't disappoint. I was treated to an impeccably detailed, powerfully dynamic, and demonstrative surround sound experience. Multi-layered sound effects are appropriately placed within the soundfield so that their purpose was definable yet never overstated. The mix makes effective and often aggressive use of the surround channels to elongate the front soundstage and reproduce the spatial and discrete sounds of this demanding soundtrack. The front and rear sound fields are integrated with precision which enables a seamless transference during panning sequences. The listening position is submerged into a 360 degree web of sound that is sometimes riveting as it bombards the senses with a combination of well placed sound effects and musical ambience. Dialogue is supremely articulated with excellent focus, clarity and descriptive intonation. Low frequency detail can be substantial as it occasionally reaches seismic levels that will test the limits of lesser subwoofers. The extended dynamic range of the recording coupled with the inherent high resolution audio encoding renders the bombastic nature of battle with superlative high level sonics and authoritative bass transients that are deep, powerful and sometimes timber rattling. The LFE channel is mixed on the hot side which occasionally derives deep bass emphasis on sounds where it may not be necessary. Having said that I am the first to admit that I love deep, clean, powerful bass and this track delivers it in spades. I found its ability to render fine detail, and subtle nuance to be excellent. As viewers I think we sometimes miss some of the intricacies that go into the design of soundtracks such as this. Not so in this case as even seemingly inconspicuous minutia within the recording is detectable. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute with terrific soundtrack.

Avatar on Blu-ray is truly demonstrative worthy in every regard as it looks and sounds sublime.

Bonus Features:

As with the original Blu-ray release of Avatar there are no bonus supplements included with this release.

Final Thoughts:

This 3D release of Avatar delivers on the promise of the latest hype surrounding home entertainment. If this is indicative of the quality we can expect from future 3D Blu-ray releases then I can assure you that the potential is for real. Here are my closing remarks from my original review:

Avatar is a technical marvel that exudes the very best that we as enthusiasts have come to expect from the Blu-ray format. No matter how large your screen or how precise your audio equipment this presentation will knock your socks off.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
JVC PK-AG1 3D Glasses
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 3D Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 119 Old 01-05-2011, 07:46 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Great review Ralph Completely agree with you about the 3d on this title.........I have watched ~12-15 3d titles so far on my 40 and overall this one is the best. I did not see any ghosting during the entire runtime which is unusual since I at least see a little on most other titles (most titles are not excessive by any means, but I usually at least see a bit of ghosting here and there). Like you said, Avatar just feels natural, helps pull you into the world and has a great and consistent depth throughout which is largely what 3d is all about.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #3 of 119 Old 01-05-2011, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Nice review Ralph! My only question, is which version is available on 3D, the theatrical, extended or the special edition?

Chris. My DVD and Blu Ray collection
JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
post #4 of 119 Old 01-05-2011, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Great review Ralph Completely agree with you about the 3d on this title.........I have watched ~12-15 3d titles so far on my 40 and overall this one is the best. I did not see any ghosting during the entire runtime which is unusual since I at least see a little on most other titles (most titles are not excessive by any means, but I usually at least see a bit of ghosting here and there). Like you said, Avatar just feels natural, helps pull you into the world and has a great and consistent depth throughout which is largely what 3d is all about.

Greetings,

Thanks Todd..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #5 of 119 Old 01-05-2011, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post

Nice review Ralph! My only question, is which version is available on 3D, the theatrical, extended or the special edition?

Greetings,

Chris, it is the original theatrical version (I did mention that in my review ).

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #6 of 119 Old 01-05-2011, 07:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Not trying to criticize the critic, but I wonder if there could be some more objective methodology for evaluating 3D presentations. There are some significant issues with both the animation quality and the 3D in Avatar. Primarily the issues with the animation are that the animated characters often have wooden an un-lifelike motion. This seems to be accentuated in 3D (to me anyway). IOW they look like cartoons more so than other animated titles we've seen. With respect to the 3D, often it's designed more to impress than to create realism. Objects in motion tend to change size without appropriate changes in depth of the background, and other similar errors in the relationship between objects and backgrounds. It's inconsistent as well, in that these errors come and go from scene to scene. The live action scenes (human territory) are quite good for 3D.

IOW I disagree with the 100 rating for 3D, there are better examples of correct 3D presentation.
post #7 of 119 Old 01-05-2011, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Not trying to criticize the critic, but I wonder if there could be some more objective methodology for evaluating 3D presentations. There are some significant issues with both the animation quality and the 3D in Avatar. Primarily the issues with the animation are that the animated characters often have wooden an un-lifelike motion. This seems to be accentuated in 3D (to me anyway). IOW they look like cartoons more so than other animated titles we've seen. With respect to the 3D, often it's designed more to impress than to create realism. Objects in motion tend to change size without appropriate changes in depth of the background, and other similar errors in the relationship between objects and backgrounds. It's inconsistent as well, in that these errors come and go from scene to scene. The live action scenes (human territory) are quite good for 3D.

IOW I disagree with the 100 rating for 3D, there are better examples of correct 3D presentation.

Greetings,

rdgrimes, thanks for posting your impressions. As for objective methodology, I'm all ears if you have something to offer.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #8 of 119 Old 01-05-2011, 08:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

I'm all ears if you have something to offer.

An excellent answer, and I have nothing to contribute. All I can say is that I sometimes get a "feeling" from 3D presentations and have to really look at it to see what's wrong. Stereoscopic 3D is messing with your brain and visual centers and different people react different. Kind of like any other aspect of AVS. Live action 3D is a lot easier to evaluate because we know more or less what it *should* look like. All I can say for certain is that in this 3D flick, characters, animals and other objects tend to change size from one scene to the next and even within scenes with respect to backgrounds and other objects. It's weird.
post #9 of 119 Old 01-05-2011, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Curious, what do you consider a better presentation?
post #10 of 119 Old 01-05-2011, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I've only seen bits of the 3D release after seeing it in the theaters. However, almost all100% CGI/ animated flicks should in most cases be reference. I think the true test is zero CGI/animation. That said.....LOVE the review and movie for what it has contirbuted to the HT world.

tony4k
post #11 of 119 Old 01-05-2011, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Nice review, but I was under the impression that you have to purchase the Panasonic 3D Exclusive Starter Bundle or buy a Panasonic 3D Blu-ray player to have access to this version, at least until February 2011 when supposedly the exclusivity agreement with Panasonic ends.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #12 of 119 Old 01-05-2011, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htdude14 View Post

I personally think How to Train Your Dragon, and Step Up 3D offer better presentation... but nothing deserves a 100 rating in 3d yet. Putting a 100 rating on Avatar while very good still has it's flaws and leaves no room for rating better 3D content as it becomes available. JMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Nice review, but I was under the impression that you have to purchase the Panasonic 3D Exclusive Starter Bundle or buy a Panasonic 3D Blu-ray player to have access to this version, at least until February 2011 when supposedly the exclusivity agreement with Panasonic ends.

That would actually be February 2012. I'm sure industry insiders have their sources and if not... It is obtainable on e-bay.

Last Watched 3D: Oz the Great and Powerful

It should be called Violet-Ray

post #13 of 119 Old 01-05-2011, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

On the topic of what to evaluate for 3D reviews, I did think of a couple suggestions.

1) Brightness of the picture - have the authors adequately compensated for the 50% loss of light output (to your eyes) resulting from active shutter glasses? There are obvious limits to how high they can crank it, and there's really no set standard for this. But if it looks too dark, that should take away points. Avatar is too dark, but certainly better than many others.

2) Loss of image detail in the 3D presentation vs the 2D presentation. This is common and should be evaluated in some way. Perhaps just a subjective opinion of an A-B comparison.

Obviously, one's display is a big variable. For review purposes, it should be ISF calibrated in 3D mode to establish a baseline for brightness/contrast. Things like black levels are moot in 3D mode since it has to be cranked up so much, but at least some baseline standard would help.
post #14 of 119 Old 01-05-2011, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

LOL! How many more versions will this movie come out?

Seriously! I mean it's a good movie and all but the people behind the marketing surely is milking the heck out of this. You would've thunk that they would include this 3D version in the extended offering when it finally came out but no. Gotta buy it seperately. I love it!
post #15 of 119 Old 01-05-2011, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Ralph,

I'm a bit confused as you use the phrase "this implementation of 3D". What is different? I couldn't figure out if the glasses were more comfortable because of the "implementation".

Anyway, I enjoy your reviews and just need some clarification here.
post #16 of 119 Old 01-05-2011, 11:56 AM
emf

Liked: 11
100 rating for 3D seems OK

As the reviewer, you rate it as you see it. It looks to me that you've fulfilled your duty.

Should you rate Avatar at 60? You would leave plenty of room for future and much improved pictures, but that would kill 3D. In addition, those future 3D pictures aren't here yet, and without them to establish a comparative basis of excellence, you have no duty to down-rate a movie.
post #17 of 119 Old 01-05-2011, 12:23 PM

While watching Avatar at the IMAX theater I was completely drawn in, to the characters, the world, the story. In watching it in 2D high-def on cable (my only HD source at the moment) I found the Na'vi to be extremely cartoon-y, and the 2D image of the 3D world to be unconvincing.

About the review itself, I see from the reference system list that this was watched on a front projected image, not on a flat panel, either lcd or plasma. I'm interested in what this will look like on the smaller screen. I may get a chance to find out for myself.
post #18 of 119 Old 01-05-2011, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacster View Post
While watching Avatar at the IMAX theater I was completely drawn in, to the characters, the world, the story. In watching it in 2D high-def on cable (my only HD source at the moment) I found the Na'vi to be extremely cartoon-y, and the 2D image of the 3D world to be unconvincing.

About the review itself, I see from the reference system list that this was watched on a front projected image, not on a flat panel, either lcd or plasma. I'm interested in what this will look like on the smaller screen. I may get a chance to find out for myself.
I've watched it on my 61", and it looks great.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #19 of 119 Old 01-05-2011, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Ralph,

Avatar 3D must be awesome on your new JVC 3D projector. Heck, I'm impressed with my copy on my 50" Panasonic VT25

Panasonic 60GT30
Onkyo 838
Oppo 103
Definitive Technology BP-8060ST CS-8060HD SR-8040BP ProMonitor 800 (front heights)
SVS 2x PC12-NSD
Dolby Atmos 5.2.2
post #20 of 119 Old 01-05-2011, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Panasonic has this on lock down until February 2012? That's going to hurt 3d more than it's going to help Panasonic! I'm refusing to buy a copy just because of such shenanigans (in addition to the multiple releases - there's gonna be what, like 5 or more releases of this movie when all's said and done?). Exercise consumer purchasing power and refuse to support the greed!
post #21 of 119 Old 01-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry but a "perfect 100" score? I can't help but think it got a pass in some areas because of what it accomplished technically for 3D.

Absolutely NOTHING to criticize or that it could've done better? You're essentially saying its "perfect in every way". Even seeing this in the theater and in IMAX there were shortcomings and things I wished it had done better, and I'm not even talking about any issues with 3D glasses.

I'll trust your judgment and when I buy this now I'm going to expect PERFECTION in every way! Now I just wonder if there are going to be ten different releases and "extended" and "extended extended" editions of this thing as they continue the slow roll-out, like LOTR but worse since the CE industry is foaming at the mouth trying to market the hell out of 3D.
post #22 of 119 Old 01-05-2011, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by odditory View Post

No offense but its hard to take seriously a review with a perfect "100" score. I can't help but feel that Avatar got a pass in some areas because of what it accomplished with 3D.

Absolutely NOTHING to criticize or that it could've done better? You're essentially saying its "perfect in every way". Even seeing this in the theater and in IMAX there were shortcomings and things it could have done differently. So when I buy this I'm going to expect a PERFECT FILM.

Greetings,

The "100" is an audio/video technical rating. The film itself was rated 4 out of 5.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #23 of 119 Old 01-05-2011, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by WirelessGuru View Post

That would actually be February 2012. I'm sure industry insiders have their sources and if not... It is obtainable on e-bay.

Yes, you're right. I should have said February 2012. I guess that leaves late adopters plenty of time to mull over this purchase.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #24 of 119 Old 01-05-2011, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobg View Post

Ralph,

I'm a bit confused as you use the phrase "this implementation of 3D". What is different? I couldn't figure out if the glasses were more comfortable because of the "implementation".

Anyway, I enjoy your reviews and just need some clarification here.

Greetings,

Sorry about that.

I was referring to the anaglyph stereoscopic 3D that requires multi-colored lenses that usually comes along with the cheap cardboard glasses.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #25 of 119 Old 01-05-2011, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

On the topic of what to evaluate for 3D reviews, I did think of a couple suggestions.

1) Brightness of the picture - have the authors adequately compensated for the 50% loss of light output (to your eyes) resulting from active shutter glasses? There are obvious limits to how high they can crank it, and there's really no set standard for this. But if it looks too dark, that should take away points. Avatar is too dark, but certainly better than many others.

2) Loss of image detail in the 3D presentation vs the 2D presentation. This is common and should be evaluated in some way. Perhaps just a subjective opinion of an A-B comparison.

Obviously, one's display is a big variable. For review purposes, it should be ISF calibrated in 3D mode to establish a baseline for brightness/contrast. Things like black levels are moot in 3D mode since it has to be cranked up so much, but at least some baseline standard would help.

Greetings,

Food for thought regarding the brightness although there are other contributing factors that could create too wide of a variance from system to system. I think it is worth mentioning though. The loss of detail as a comparitive to the 2D presentation would come along with Clarity/detail.

Thanks.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #26 of 119 Old 01-05-2011, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

No 3D here as yet, and while I liked Avatar, so far I haven't bought it.
I will, as even in 2D it's PQ and SQ are terrific.
I'm a 61 year old kid at heart, and enjoy 3D. Avatar seems tailer made for 3D, so when I eventually buy a new display, I'll go with 3D (currently have a 3 year old Sony 46XBR4 which has an outstanding picture, so no rush for a new set; can wait for the bugs to get ironed out).
Avatar 3D will certainly be in my collection thanks to your review (you haven't steered me wrong yet ).
Thanks for the review Ralph (you have the patience of a saint ).
post #27 of 119 Old 01-05-2011, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for reviewing this Ralph. I received this as part of the bundle deal through Panasonic. I have yet to watch it. I want to buy a mid range home theater setup for the TV so I can watch this with the surround sound before I watch it.

Ralph, if you have the time make sure to check out Grand Canyon: River at Risk and Christmas Carol on Blu-ray 3D. Both do a phenomenal job at handling 3D.
post #28 of 119 Old 01-05-2011, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

Thanks for reviewing this Ralph. I received this as part of the bundle deal through Panasonic. I have yet to watch it. I want to buy a mid range home theater setup for the TV so I can watch this with the surround sound before I watch it.

Ralph, if you have the time make sure to check out Grand Canyon: River at Risk and Christmas Carol on Blu-ray 3D. Both do a phenomenal job at handling 3D.

Greetings,

Thanks Matt. I have Grand Canyon: River at risk and agree that it looks great in 3D.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #29 of 119 Old 01-05-2011, 03:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Great review Ralph! I agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htdude14 View Post

@rdgrimes, you still have not answered this question, as to what was a better presentation of 3D than Avatar

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

post #30 of 119 Old 01-05-2011, 03:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks for the review. But 100 for a weak story doesn't add up for me, no matter the visuals, it's a movie not a photograph.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Avatar 3d Blu Ray Collectors Edition
Gear in this thread - Avatar by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page