Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2010
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 105 minutes
Genre: Action

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Danny Trejo, Robert De Niro, Jessica Alba, Michelle Rodriguez, Jeff Fahey, Steven Segal, Cheech Marin, Don Johnson
Directed by: Robert Rodriguez & Ethan Maniquis
Music by: Chingon
Written by: Robert Rodriguez & Alvaro Rodriguez
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: January 4, 2011

"He was given an offer he couldn't refuse"

Film Synopsis:

From director Robert Rodriguez (Grindhouse, Sin City), and featuring an all-star cast including Danny Trejo, Robert De Niro and Jessica Alba, comes an action-packed, bare-knuckled fistful of carnage asada! Set up, double-crossed and left for dead, Machete (Trejo) is an ass-kicking ex-Federale who lays waste to anything that gets in his path. As he takes on hit men, vigilantes and a ruthless drug cartel, bullets fly, blades clash and the body count rises. Any way you slice it, vengeance has a new name--Machete.

My Take:

Machete is an expansion of the fake trailer that was released together with Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino's 2007 Grindhouse series and continues in its B movie and exploitation film style. The story revolves around an illegal immigrant, Machete Cortez (Danny Trejo), a former Mexican Federale turned renegade after his family is murdered by a drug lord who leaves him for dead. He survives, slips into the U.S. and wanders around Texas for three years until he is approached by a man in a suit who takes him for just another illegal looking for a job. The man offers him a large sum of cash if he will kill a local (and corrupt) senator whose campaign mission statement is to send every illegal immigrant back to Mexico by any means necessary. After Machete refuses, the man's offer turns into compelled cooperation which leaves him no choice. What Machete doesn't know is that he has unwittingly become embroiled in a politically motivated scheme hatched by corrupt and greedy men on both sides of the border, one of whom is the man responsible for the death of his family. In order for Machete to extricate himself and exact revenge he will need the help of two beautiful women, lots of firepower and of course the weapon that made him infamous. Anyway you slice it (pun intended), vengeance has a new name.

At first I wasn't entirely sure what to make of Machete. After seeing glimpses of its trailer the cast looked to be an odd mix of actors inserted into a typical Robert Rodriguez shoot em up. Once I caught its drift Machete became a lot more fun. Like the other movies in the Grindhouse series Machete isn't a literal action film. It's a satiric play on the exploitive action films of yesteryear and features purposefully over the top action, tons of bloodletting, sexy ladies, and a lightly veiled wink and nod expose on border control. The convoluted plot overdrives the weak characters and the manic pace disrupts its flow but if kept in the proper perspective Machete is a gratuitously entertaining film. I will admit that seeing Danny Trejo snuggling up to hotties like Jessica Alba, Michelle Rodriguez, and Elektra Avellan, definitely requires a vivid imagination. I have always enjoyed him as a supporting actor and think he pulled off this featured role pretty well. Old time tough guy Steven Segal would be better left in mothballs but I thought Jeff Fahey and Don Johnson were credible in an oafish sort of way. Last but not least, Robert De Niro. I don't know satire or not, seeing him in a role such as this makes my heart sink a little but he played the role to the hilt (of course). Machete is exactly what it is intended to be, nothing more, nothing less and THAT is where it succeeds.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong bloody violence throughout, language, some sexual content and nudity.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 90

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Machete comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 35 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.3 Mbps.

This is a high bitrate and near reference quality high definition transfer that looks terrific. The opening segment utilizes the same stylized visuals used in the Grindhouse series which is intended to create an aging film effect by using a layering process to introduce the appearance of print damage that comes in the form of speckles, scratches running lines and obvious editing cuts. Fidelity is never in question as images are transparently rendered with exquisite detail and a near infinite sense of depth. Colors are pleasing, vivid and kept within the scope of the film's theme which means various shades of red, brown, green and black with splashes of bright secondary hues. Sepia toned colors have a succulent quality that reveals plenty of subtle delineation and blood is an appropriately dark shade of crimson. Facial features among the principal cast reveal excellent textural nuance while fleshtones appear a bit balmy and exhibit similar complexional characteristics. Blacks are inky, dynamic and stable. Contrast is bold and punchy without overdriving whites/grays and washing out detail. This is a pristine and dimensionally satisfying high definition video presentation that doesn't disappoint.

The high resolution DTS-HD MA soundtrack delivers smooth, sibilant free treble, tonally rich, crystalline dialogue, and diffused, room filling ambience. The front channels are seamlessly integrated with surrounds tightly infused which creates an immersive, stable soundstage. This mix creates an enriching sound field that comes alive during action based segments as the sounds of obliterated thugs, slashing metal, growling engines and flying bullets invigorate the listening area while being augmented by deep, low frequency energy and chest thumping impact. It made for a fun surround sound experience that mated perfectly with the tone of the film.

Bonus Features:

• Audience reaction track

• (HD) 10 deleted scenes

• (HD) Theatrical trailer

• (HD) Red Band Theatrical trailer

• BD-Live: Live Extras - Exclusive deleted scene McLaughlin in hospital

• Pocket BLU - with Wi-Fi download option (Apple products)

• Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Machete is an expansion of the faux trailer that was released together with Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino's 2007 Grindhouse series. Like the other movies in the Grindhouse series Machete isn't a literal action film. It's a satiric play on the exploitive action films of yesteryear and features purposefully over the top action, tons of bloodletting, sexy ladies, and a lightly veiled wink and nod expose on border control. The plot is elementary and requires more imagination than your average shoot em up but if kept in the proper perspective Machete is a gratuitously entertaining film. Fox consistently delivers some of the best high definition presentations on new release Blu-ray titles and this is no exception. I found its pristine video and high quality lossless sound to be excellent. Fans will find the sparse bonus features to be a let down. I did try the Pocket BLU app and successfully downloaded the digital copy to my Apple iPad via Wi-Fi (it went smoothly and worked as advertised). If you appreciate this style of filmmaking Machete is worth the price of admission so feel free to give it a spin.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 01-07-2011, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought it was a bad rippoff of Tarintino. Bad affects, bad acting and a bunch of stars try'n to make a quick buck off of Grind House genre.

90 points wow!!! what a wonderful bluray to watch on my home theater, now I wish I had saved my DVD collection.

Yes, my 2010 Panasonic 42C2 performs better than an S2 No floating blacks and keeps the lowest black levels.
post #3 of 52 Old 01-07-2011, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quite a departure in character from the Machete Cortez in the Spy Kids movies (made also by Rodriguez and played by Danny Trejo).

Let hope parents don't mistake this for another installment in THAT series!
post #4 of 52 Old 01-07-2011, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Thought this movie was a joke. Acting looked like it was a gag reel. The only best thing that came out of this movie were they eye candies. Other than that this movie just didn't deliver for me.

Cheers
post #5 of 52 Old 01-07-2011, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I and some guys did a guy's night out and we all totally enjoyed this film. Some of my friends are certified geniuses, yet they managed to turn off their brains and enjoy this for what it is...an over the top reinterpretation of the blaxploitation films of the 70s.

Maybe there's even a message thrown in there, but who cares.

Towards the end, it got a little weird, but I guess that's ok. It's not about acting or plot really. It's about an endless series of bodies left in the wake of the dude they call machete.

If you like a little female eye candy in your movies, I can't say this movie dissapoints on that level either.

I give it at least a 7+ out of 10 for execution - it's pretty much what you should expect from this movie. If you don't want over the top action, carnage and gratuitous nudity, don't see it.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #6 of 52 Old 01-07-2011, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have not seen Matchete yet. I want to see it soon, but...

...Uh... guys? That was the point of the film. Like the double feature (Planet Terror, Death Proof) it was meant to be badly made (Hammy acting, gratuitous violence and sex), but done what they thought should of (higher production values). It's making fun of it, but paying homage at the same time. It is not meant to be measured for quality of filmmaking.
post #7 of 52 Old 01-07-2011, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Sounds like it could be hit or miss. I hope it is a hit!

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #8 of 52 Old 01-07-2011, 01:58 PM

On the fence about this maybe okay for rental for me.
post #9 of 52 Old 01-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I didn't like it at all, especially the last part, Machete kissing Jessica Alba is a noooooo go for me.

post #10 of 52 Old 01-07-2011, 09:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Right on with the review of the technical Blu-Ray aspects! The disc looks great, even with the "Grindhouse" digitally added scratches to show that it was supposed to be a dumb 70's movie. Robert DeNiro gives a "summer stock" fun performance. His right wing political charachter is so outre, he could probably get Tea Party support in Texas.

Note the deleted scenes. Jessica Alba has a twin sister that is the funny total opposite of her regular charachter. They should have left that stuff in, since Ms. Alba seems to be the only actor in the movie to take it seriously. As far as old "Machete" smooching Jessica Alba, it works for us baby boomers. She could talk us into a kiss anytime!

Very fun flic!
post #11 of 52 Old 01-07-2011, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor2010 View Post

I have not seen Matchete yet. I want to see it soon, but...

...Uh... guys? That was the point of the film. Like the double feature (Planet Terror, Death Proof) it was meant to be badly made (Hammy acting, gratuitous violence and sex), but done what they thought should of (higher production values). It's making fun of it, but paying homage at the same time. It is not meant to be measured for quality of filmmaking.

please no need for common sense in this thread i mean after all, movies should al be taken seriously.......

Strong or weak in the end we are all dead
post #12 of 52 Old 01-08-2011, 05:21 AM

Liked: 12
This one is over the top and I thought poorly acted. The plot was basically evil white guys exploiting poor hard working mexicans for a dollar. The hot babes wanting to get it on with Trejo ----- yeah right! Machete getting shot ,as well as others and are ok the next day----UUUMMMMM!!!
It is worth a onetime watch for me so rental all the way.
post #13 of 52 Old 01-08-2011, 05:57 AM

Watched this last night. I think the complaints are justified but also are what made the movie for me. I also think this is exactly what Robert Rodriguez was going for...
post #14 of 52 Old 01-08-2011, 06:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Well, are the deaths at least brutal, unique and bloody?? Why else would you watch?

Who cares about a plot in this type of film? Just want gratuitous violence and more thoughtful manners of killing.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #15 of 52 Old 01-08-2011, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Well, are the deaths at least brutal, unique and bloody?? Why else would you watch?

Who cares about a plot in this type of film? Just want gratuitous violence and more thoughtful manners of killing.

Greetings,

It's got a fair amount of all the above Jeff..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #16 of 52 Old 01-08-2011, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I quite enjoyed Machete. Told my sister about it, so she and her boyfriend watched it, and they both enjoyed it.

Folks, everything that looked "bad", as in "bad acting", "bad effects", etc, was all done on purpose.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #17 of 52 Old 01-08-2011, 10:54 AM

Liked: 17
Along with Kick Ass, Machete is THE best American mainstream film of 2010!!!
post #18 of 52 Old 01-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

I think it was better than the grindhouse which was more of a Homage without any substance (am getting sick of Tarantino stuff I guess). This movie doesn't take itself seriously and the action and Dialogues are over the top not bad IMO.
post #19 of 52 Old 01-08-2011, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 34
When the chick took the "hidden" cell phone out I was sold. Machete rules!!!!!

post #20 of 52 Old 01-08-2011, 06:45 PM

Liked: 31
Yea... the phone thing was kinda original ,never seen before .

Only watched first 15 minutes...after playoff game , I'll throw it back in.
post #21 of 52 Old 01-08-2011, 07:40 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean l View Post

Along with Kick Ass, Machete is THE best American mainstream film of 2010!!!

Excellent Im glad I pre-ordered it.

Frank

post #22 of 52 Old 01-08-2011, 10:02 PM

I really enjoyed Machete.Cool movie,lots of eye candy.All I can say is Machete for President.
post #23 of 52 Old 01-09-2011, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by centauro74 View Post

I didn't like it at all, especially the last part, Machete kissing Jessica Alba is a noooooo go for me.

Hahaha, yeah it was kind of odd seeing Machete getting all of those hot women but otherwise I enjoyed it.
post #24 of 52 Old 01-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Tech View Post

I thought it was a bad rippoff of Tarintino. Bad affects, bad acting and a bunch of stars try'n to make a quick buck off of Grind House genre.

That's just silly.
post #25 of 52 Old 01-10-2011, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Tech View Post

90 points wow!!! what a wonderful bluray to watch on my home theater, now I wish I had saved my DVD collection.

What you are seeing is both director's influenced by the same style or genre. Every influence has a root source, no one own's the style or genre. Why do you think they worked together on grindhouse?

Being born and bred from the drive-in movie circuit, it really brought me back to my youth. I wish I had blind purchased this blu ray. I'll have to pick up a used copy.

Thanks Ralph for sharing
Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #26 of 52 Old 01-11-2011, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

What you are seeing is both director's influenced by the same style or genre. Every influence has a root source, no one own's the style or genre. Why do you think they worked together on grindhouse?

Being born and bred from the drive-in movie circuit, it really brought me back to my youth. I wish I had blind purchased this blu ray. I'll have to pick up a used copy.

Thanks Ralph for sharing
Ron

Not to mention, Tarantino and Rodriguez have worked on several projects together, not just Grindhouse.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #27 of 52 Old 01-20-2011, 08:02 AM
CIH USER

Just finished watching this film I really enjoyed it.

Frank

post #28 of 52 Old 01-21-2011, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Just finished watching this film I really enjoyed it.

Excelent! This is on deck for the weekend.

post #29 of 52 Old 01-21-2011, 06:54 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Excelent! This is on deck for the weekend.

Let us know what you think GoCaboNow.

Frank

post #30 of 52 Old 01-24-2011, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I enjoyed this. Great cast, fun action and good AV. I would have preferred if the movie had stayed a little tighter and more believable as I lost a bit of interest after a while. The final scene with Segal is kind of an example of this. It was funny, but also silly and unbelievable. It was director intent but I would have preferred a slightly more "realistic" version. I am not into the parody movie crap like Scary Movie and all that. Still, it is a well done, really fun, hard core movie and there are not many of those any more.

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Machete Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Machete by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page