Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 2010
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 107 minutes
Genre: Crime/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English/French/Portuguese DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish Dolby Digital
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish, Portuguese
Starring: Idris Elba, Matt Dillon, Micheal Ealy, Paul Walker, Hayden Christensen, Jay Hernandez, Chris Brown, Tip T.I. Harris
Directed by: John Luessenhop
Music by: Paul Haslinger
Written by: Peter Allen, Gabriel Casseus, Avery Duff, John Luessenhop
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: January 18, 2011

"Who's taking who?"

Film Synopsis:

This high-stakes action thriller stars Matt Dillon, Paul Walker, Idris Elba, Jay Hernandez, Michael Ealy and Tip T.I. Harris. After pulling off a spectacular series of brilliantly planned bank robberies, a notorious team of professional criminals attempts one last heist, a once-in-a-lifetime job with a $25 million payoff. And all that stands in their way is a cop hell-bent on doing whatever it takes to solve the case and bring the TAKERS down. Chris Brown and Hayden Christensen costar in an adrenaline-rushed thrill ride packed with twists and turns.

My Take:

I love a good heist flick and seeing the teaser for this film piqued my interest especially in light of its featured ensemble cast. This is a straight forward set piece that revolves around a crew of professional criminals who routinely pull off bank robberies. Their precise and methodical planning keeps them one step ahead of the law and nets them the kid of takes that enable them to lead luxurious lifestyles. After just completing their latest score (an LA bank job) they plan to lay low for awhile but reconsider when a former crew member, who was just released from prison, approaches them with a plan they can't refuse, an armored car takedown worth 20 + million dollars. The only caveat is that they only have five days to set up the plan. Since the LA bank robbery two zealous LA PD detectives have been searching for leads as to the identities of the crew involved but have come up empty. They catch a break while executing a search warrant on a group of Russian immigrants suspected of criminal activity which inadvertently provides a connection to a member of the crew. As the cops slowly begin to piece things together the crew puts their plan in place. Everything is set, the plan, the crew, and the target. The execution should go like clock work, a clean getaway where no one gets hurt. There is only one problemand it isn't what you think!

Takers isn't a bad film, unfortunately the been there and done that' essence runs high which makes it a predictable and less effective one. I like its slick and stylish characters, the depiction of their interpersonal relationships and the predominantly well executed action sequences which have the type of extravagant flair that makes films like this fun. The derivative nature of the plot is certainly tolerable but the script has some problems. It gets mired down in several melodramatic subplots that aren't fleshed out and only serve to derail focus. At 107 minutes it moves a little too quickly which can be problematic for a detail oriented film like this. More background on several of the characters, on both sides, would have gone a long way toward garnering a clearer perspective and connection to the events that take place later. I don't think that changes like these would have elevated this to the level of the better films it mirrors however it would probably make for a more cohesive narrative that could have taken better advantage of the talent among the cast. With the exception of Chris Brown and to a lesser extent Tip T.I. Harris I really enjoyed the cast in Takers. A film like this relies heavily on the charisma and thematic credibility of its cast and I thought that Idris Elba, Paul Walker, Michael Ealy, Hayden Christensen, and Matt Dillon were strong choices. Jay Hernandez was fine but had minimal screen time and Zoe Saldana's role was so small she could have phoned it in. So is Takers this generation's Heat? No, but it's a fundamental and mildly entertaining film that genre fans might want to take a look at just the same.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for intense sequences of action and violence, a sexual situation/partial nudity and some language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 90

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Takers comes to Blu-ray from Sony Pictures featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.5 Mbps.

Sony has been very consistent in the quality of their high definition video presentations on Blu-ray Disc and this is no exception. This is a reference quality encoding that looks superb. It features a reserved chromatic palette which makes use of darker tones and muted primaries. This applies predominantly to interior and darker sequences as exterior shots tend to offer bolder use of color. The film's lighting/filtering kept fleshtones looking a bit flat and lacking in distinctiveness but this was in line with its stylized aesthetic. Contrast and brightness are nicely balanced and blacks are deep and punchy without compromise to fidelity. Discerning detail in low lighting and shadowy backgrounds reveals subtle gradations which enhances depth of field. Images onscreen are characterized by intricate and transparent imagery that has three dimensionality and definitive resolution. Wide angle shots have strong dimension and exhibit crisp refinement that is rarely questionable. I didn't notice any signs of compression or video related artifacts. I thought that the creative choices made regarding the visual style of this film were right on target. It looked absolutely stunning.

This Lossless DTS-HD MA surround mix accents the video presentation and makes regular use of the entire system to drive the film's elements.. This is a well balanced and active soundtrack that features pulsating low frequencies that reaches far into the room to augment the dynamic impact associated with the films action based elements and music score. The surround channels are actively engaged with a blend of discretely placed sounds and spatial ambience that fills the room. Dynamic range is extended and visceral at times when combined with the high level of sonic detail present in the recording. I never had any trouble discerning subtle vocal inflections or the presence of low level sounds that were contained in the background. The mix facilitates seamless integration of the front and rear channels which creates a stable and well proportioned listening experience that is complimented by rich, room resonating bass that has excellent palpability and tight extension.

Bonus Features:

• Commentary with director John Luessenhop and producers Jason Geter and Tip T.I. Harris

• (HD) Executing the heist: The making of Takers - 11 minute featurette

• (HD) Take action - 10 minute featurette

• (HD) Yeah ya know (Takers) by T.I. - music promo

• Movie IQ
attachment.php?attachmentid=197509&d=1294752945

Final Thoughts:

Takers is a mildly entertaining but ultimately forgettable heist flick that will probably appeal more to casual genre fans. It would be untrue if I said that I disliked it but its weaknesses outweigh its strengths which leaves it feeling just average. While the film doesn't inspire the high definition presentation on Blu-ray from Sony is a knockout with its reference quality video and engaging DTS-HD MA lossless surround sound. The bonus features offer a brief but well rounded look at the production which includes behind the scenes footage and cast/crew interviews. If you're a genre fan give it is easily worth a rental so toss it in your queue.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-11-2011, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thought this was actually a pretty good decent film. Kind of reminded me of the "younger" generation of the movie HEAT. Pretty much almost the same premise but with more robbers in it. Ending was....

Cheers
post #3 of 24 Old 01-11-2011, 06:45 PM

I will buy this.
post #4 of 24 Old 01-11-2011, 07:18 PM
XRA

I actually liked it. I watched it to be entertained, and it succeeded, nuff said.
post #5 of 24 Old 01-11-2011, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRA View Post
I actually liked it. I watched it to be entertained, and it succeeded, nuff said.
Greetings,

Then that's all that matters...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #6 of 24 Old 01-11-2011, 07:27 PM
XRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Then that's all that matters...

Regards,
So true. I find myself checking out your reviews more and more. Of course, it helps now that I have a 65" Mitsu DLP TV to watch. I find myself wanting to watch movies just because...
post #7 of 24 Old 01-11-2011, 07:35 PM

Liked: 31
Thanks King P .... a buy for me... hopefully better than Armored which wasn't bad .
post #8 of 24 Old 01-12-2011, 01:38 AM
AVS Special Member

2 and a half stars is pretty generous for this one Ralph.
post #9 of 24 Old 01-12-2011, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

After The Town it will be hard to watch this without a critical eye, but like Ralph, I do enjoy a decent heist film, so I'll rent and then decide if it's worth a buy.
post #10 of 24 Old 01-12-2011, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 62
This review makes me wonder what the hell Aaron Peck was viewing/hearing when he saw this movie! Don't get me wrong, I have agreed with most of the AQ & PQ reviews that Ralph has provided us with, but I also go to Hidef- Digest for a 2nd opinion.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3955/takers.html

Paul
post #11 of 24 Old 01-12-2011, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Nice review. I will have to check this out
post #12 of 24 Old 01-12-2011, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefpaul View Post

This review makes me wonder what the hell Aaron Peck was viewing/hearing when he saw this movie! Don't get me wrong, I have agreed with most of the AQ & PQ reviews that Ralph has provided us with, but I also go to Hidef- Digest for a 2nd opinion.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3955/takers.html

Paul

I also read Aaron Peck's review of the movie and I totally disagree with his review. I liked the movie alot when I saw it in the theater and I found the characters very refreshing and entertaining. I thought that Hayden Christensen did a great job and is finally loosening up as an actor. I already have this movie pre-ordered!

Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 5030 UB
Denon AVR-X5200W
Blu-Ray: Oppo 103
Pioneer Dolby Atmos enabled Elite Concentric Speakers: SP-EFS73, SP-EBS73, and SP-EC73
Klipsch Speakers: RF-82, RC-62, RS-52, RB-61
post #13 of 24 Old 01-12-2011, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Ralph,

Thanks for the reminder on this one. I had forgotten about it until I read your review. Not a fan of Chris Brown, yet like several of the other actors in Takers.

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #14 of 24 Old 01-20-2011, 09:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Just watched this. Like The Town, it borrows heavily from Heat. Certainly nothing new to be found here, but it is mildly entertaining and worth a rent.
post #15 of 24 Old 01-26-2011, 12:08 AM

I'm not going to lie, I like this movie, ALOT. I blind bought, but was extremely surprised. Sure, it's no "best picture," but usually I like the movies that are there to just entertain, and this one doesn't disappoint.

The pq is very good, which was a nice surprise as well.
post #16 of 24 Old 01-26-2011, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvuwhat View Post

I'm not going to lie, I like this movie, ALOT. I blind bought, but was extremely surprised. Sure, it's no "best picture," but usually I like the movies that are there to just entertain, and this one doesn't disappoint.

Greetings,

Glad to hear you enjoyed Takers. Thanks for sharing your thoughts..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #17 of 24 Old 01-29-2011, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvuwhat View Post

+1 on your comments. This was a fun one to watch.

The PQ at times was simply outstanding. On a close-up of Jay Hernandez's face, you could see every bump, blemish, mis-shaven whisker, etc. It was like looking thru a magnifying glass. As soon as the scene was over my son and I just looked at each other with our jaws dropped.
post #18 of 24 Old 02-22-2011, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
just wanted to ask everyone who viewed the Takers Blu-Ray
the late shootout that starts around 87 minutes; I don't hear any gunshots just music even thought shots are being fired all over the place; if they intentionally drowned out the sound, that is stupid because the move sounds very good overall on other scenes especially when the trucks are slamming underground
Did others notice this about the late shootout ? I was wondering
post #19 of 24 Old 02-22-2011, 09:44 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit1 View Post

just wanted to ask everyone who viewed the Takers Blu-Ray
the late shootout that starts around 87 minutes; I don't hear any gunshots just music even thought shots are being fired all over the place; if they intentionally drowned out the sound, that is stupid because the move sounds very good overall on other scenes especially when the trucks are slamming underground
Did others notice this about the late shootout ? I was wondering

The one with the Russians and the shotguns I get deep low bass with all gunshots. Awesome stuff.

Only problem was my lights popped out of the ceiling.

Frank
post #20 of 24 Old 02-23-2011, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
yeah but I'm talking specifically about the one that starts after 87 minutes where shots are being fired all over the place and you see the sofa cushions, etc
It seems like they drowned out the sounds of the gunfire and all you hear is some music and some bass. have others noticed this?
post #21 of 24 Old 04-09-2011, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit1 View Post
yeah but I'm talking specifically about the one that starts after 87 minutes where shots are being fired all over the place and you see the sofa cushions, etc
It seems like they drowned out the sounds of the gunfire and all you hear is some music and some bass. have others noticed this?
Watched this yesterday from my blockbuster queue and was pleasantly surprised. It follows the heist genre faithfully but has enough visual effects, character development and plot twists to make it better than the formulaic "Town". I too disliked the hotel shoot out audio choice and would've preferred to hear bullets flying rather than that music score. PQ was excellent but for some reason I thought the audio was lacking especially in dialog, I had to turn the volume up 10 points which I haven't done recently for Blu Ray DTS-HD MA or Dolby True HD tracks.
post #22 of 24 Old 07-27-2011, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I just watched this and was pleasantly surprised. I didn't expect much given the C-list cast and rappers turned actors. But this was an enjoyable heist films with some nice action sequences.I think Takers is one of the better action films from last summer.
post #23 of 24 Old 04-08-2014, 01:13 AM

I enjoyed this movie. It was recommended to my by my sister. Ralph , I enjoy your evaluation of the movies however, I wish you would leave your criticism of the actors to just their performance on the screen. Keep up the good work!
post #24 of 24 Old 04-08-2014, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio4Home View Post

I enjoyed this movie. It was recommended to my by my sister. Ralph , I enjoy your evaluation of the movies however, I wish you would leave your criticism of the actors to just their performance on the screen. Keep up the good work!

Greetings,

Thanks Audio4Home. smile.gif

As far as your comment about criticism of the actors being left to their performances onscreen I don't follow. If you're referring to Chris Brown and Tip Harris my comments were directly related to their performances which lacked the depth of the others in the cast. I don't take actors personal lives into account when evaluating them while performing.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Takers Blu Ray , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Samsung Bd C7900 1080p 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Toshiba Hd Xa2 1080p Hd Dvd Player
Gear in this thread - Takers by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page