Studio and Year: DreamWorks - 2000
MPAA Rating: Unrated
Feature running time: 162 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, English, French, Spanish
Starring: Kate Hudson, Billy Crudup, Frances McDormand, Jason Lee, Patrick Fugit, Philip Seymour Hoffman
Written & Directed by: Cameron Crowe
Music by: Nancy Wilson
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: January 30, 2011

"Experience it. Enjoy it. Just don't fall for it"

Film Synopsis:

It's the opportunity of a lifetime when teenage reporter William Miller lands an assignment from Rolling Stone magazine. Despite the objections of his protective mother, William hits the road with an up-and-coming rock band and finds there's a lot more to write home about than the music.

My Take:

Almost famous is based on Crowe's experiences touring with rock bands Poco, The Allman Brothers Band, Led Zeppelin, The Eagles, and Lynyrd Skynyrd. In a Rolling Stone article, he talks about how he lost his virginity, fell in love, and met his heroes, experiences that are shared by William, the main character in the film. The script revolves around 15-year-old William Miller (Patrick Fugit) deemed uncool by his peers he is a sort of an outcast who stumbles upon the opportunity to live his personal dream. Purely by happenstance he is hired by Rolling Stone Magazine to write an article on a rock band. He hooks up with Stillwater, an up-and-coming rock band featuring lead singer Jeff Bebe (Jason Lee) and charismatic lead guitarist Russell Hammond (Billy Crudup). William takes advice from his mentor, legendary rock critic Lester Bangs, (Philip Seymour Hoffman) who cautions him not to become friends with the musicians but to strictly report what he sees/experiences. Young William finds that easier said than done as he finds himself drawn close to the band, their minions the Band-Aids (groupie like but not) and Penny Lane the mysterious girl who teaches him that perhaps there is meaning behind the music (and the musicians).

This film is clearly a labor of love for Cameron Crowe and it shows. It's a blend of fiction and actual events that are told from an insider's perspective that plays via a purposefully tangible ode to the period music and those who created it. It works on multiple levels with a coming of age narrative that resonates as it speaks of youthful discourse, loss of innocence, first love, and familial dysfunction. Many of its best moments occur as we witness the transcendent interpersonal complexities that can often occur within bands. I can't speak for everyone but as someone who grew up in that era I find Almost Famous to be a nostalgically affecting film filled with rewarding situations, superbly chosen music, and endearingly spun characters. The performance by the cast as an ensemble is spot on and charmingly genuine. I think that this film best represents writer/director Cameron Crowe's knack for indelibly conveying his vision to the audience. Although it has been a number of years since I have seen it Almost Famous never seems to lose its allure and makes for a perfect pick me up on a rainy day. This unrated extended Director's Edition Bootleg Cut (containing 30 minutes of additional footage) is a Best Buy Exclusive that marks the film's first U.S foray onto Blu-ray Disc.

Parental Guide:

This film is unrated and contains language, teenage drinking, sensuality, partial nudity and themes that would be inappropriate for young viewers.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 82

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Almost Famous comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 25 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.1 Mbps.

This is a solid looking high definition Blu-ray catalog release from Paramount. It boasts clean, well depicted colors that offer a good mix of secondary hues that appear natural. The soft hues and sepia tones that represent the period specific colors have realistic texture and spot on tonal balance. Facial complexions and skin tones are warm, with pinkish highlights that rarely appear unnatural. The level of detail present noteworthy which especially enhanced dimension during bright wide angle camera shots. There are minor fluctuations in apparent resolution that are more than likely related to the original photography and don't infringe upon fidelity. In most cases I had no trouble making out the thread patterns in clothing/furniture or the texture on surfaces in the 1.85:1 framed image. There are instances where the video takes on an edgy quality but I don't feel it was excessive or distracting. Black and white levels are stable which gives a fair level of pop to colors and brighter exterior sequences while keeping darker or low lit segments looking noticeably punchy with crisp blacks and visibly gradational detail in shadowy backgrounds. Grain is well preserved, even layered and unobtrusive while providing a noticeable texture that is film like and ultimately rewarding. The print is in decent shape and artifacts are kept to a minimum. Having owned the original DVD release since day one I can state without equivocation that I have never seen this film look better on home video.

The DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack renders clear, articulated dialogue that maintains a position of prominence across the front three channels. This is not a film that requires heavy use of surround sound to deliver its message but it does rely on the entire soundstage for proper atmosphere from time to time. The mix is well balanced and reproduces sounds at the right levels and places them appropriately in the sound field's acoustic environment. Detail is excellent which helped attenuate slight environmental cues and augment the subtle texture of voices and recorded sounds. There is no deep bass associated with this presentation but bass response is definable as it reinforces low level detail in support of the music.

Bonus Features:

• Audio commentary by writer/director Cameron Crowe

• Intro by Cameron Crowe

• The making of Almost Famous - 24 minute featurette

• Vintage interview with Lester Bangs (2 minutes) with introduction by Cameron Crowe

• (HD) Cameron Crowe's top albums of 1973 - Includes brief commentary on each by Cameron Crowe

• Fever dog music video

• Love comes and goes music video

• (HD) Rolling Stone articles - 7 text based articles on Led Zeppelin, The Allman Bros., Neil Young, Peter Frampton, Fleetwood Mac, Van Morrison, and Joni Mitchell

• B-Sides - 5 minute short

• Cleveland concert (w/intro by Cameron Crowe) - 15 minutes of Stillwater playing to a packed house

• Small time blues 3 minute jam

• Stairway - 12 minute segment that didn't make the final cut (be sure to have your copy of Stairway to heaven on hand!)

• (HD) Script - full script in text based form

• (HD) Theatrical trailer

Final Thoughts:

I can't speak for everyone but as someone who grew up in the seventies I find Almost Famous to be a nostalgically affecting and entertaining film filled with rewarding situations, superbly chosen music, and endearingly spun characters. It has been a number of years since I have seen it but it never seems to lose its allure thanks to a wonderfully crafted script, apt direction and pitch perfect cast. This Best Buy exclusive Bootleg Cut, marks the first time Almost Famous has been available on Blu-ray in the U.S. and the results are quite good. I found the rewarding high definition audio/video quality to be better than expected and thoroughly enjoyed the well chosen compliment of bonus features. If you're a fan and don't already own Almost Famous in high definition this Blu-ray offering from Paramount/Best Buy comes highly recommended.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-25-2011, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 253
I wasn't born until 1984, but I've always felt that maybe I was born in the wrong decade. Films like this make me wish I had grown up when rock and roll was really rock and roll and not some paint by numbers scheme to get rich quick.

I love Almost Famous and its soundtrack, and can't wait to get my hands on this blu ray.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #3 of 17 Old 01-25-2011, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This a Great film, came out the same year as High Fidelity and loved them both. would love to see High Fidelity get the Blu Ray treament... anyway.. love this film, have the Bootleg DVD version.. not sure if i'll pick this up yet though as my DVD is usually good enough, but glad to see it has been given the bluray treatment...
post #4 of 17 Old 01-25-2011, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

coolsax, there is so much wrong with your post I don't know where to begin.
post #5 of 17 Old 01-25-2011, 12:13 PM

Is there any different material on this bluray edition than on the bootleg dvd edition?

- Tim
post #6 of 17 Old 01-25-2011, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
One of my all time favorites. One of those movies that make you feel diferent the rest of the day. I think they missed an opportunity though to have a stellar soundtrack. Sorry to hear that it's average at best.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #7 of 17 Old 01-25-2011, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

One of my all time favorites. One of those movies that make you feel diferent the rest of the day. I think they missed an opportunity though to have a stellar soundtrack. Sorry to hear that it's average at best.

Greetings,

There is nothing to be sorry about Tony. I was very happy with its quality..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #8 of 17 Old 01-25-2011, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
With an audio score of "82", I considered that to be average. In school, it was the lowest "B" you could get. I must not have my intepretive skills dialed in well to your scale?

In either case, this is one of those movies that I would LOVE to see get an audio score close to perfect. It deserves that.

As always, thanks for your review!

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #9 of 17 Old 01-25-2011, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 42
When I first seen this thread I thought it was about Caleb Hanie.

Packers!
post #10 of 17 Old 01-25-2011, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Some say it's from the same Sony master already released in the UK a while ago. I have that one... it's indeed average at best. Pretty filtered and "flat."

The only thing that would probably be a little better is the DTS-MA audio encode (perhaps 24 bit) vs. the UK's 16 bit Dolby TrueHD encode.

Too bad Cameron Crowe didn't supervise a new 6k transfer. It's a wonderful flick!

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #11 of 17 Old 01-25-2011, 11:46 PM

Liked: 12
The film is amazing. There are moments when you're there in the film. If like me you grew up in the 60's - 70's you will take this film to heart and want to see it over and over again. I love the music and look farwad to the blu-ray edition. This will be a great addition to my collection of movies I can enjoy every time I see them. It will never get old.... Nor will I as long as I can flash back though this wonderful movie
post #12 of 17 Old 01-30-2011, 04:10 PM

This is on sale at Best Buy for 14.99 starting today...definitely worth a pick up to me.
post #13 of 17 Old 01-31-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Some say it's from the same Sony master already released in the UK a while ago. I have that one...

I believe I have that one as well. It reads, "Extended Edition". Is this the same as the Bootleg cut? Does it have the extra 30 minutes?

ck
post #14 of 17 Old 01-31-2011, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kane View Post

I believe I have that one as well. It reads, "Extended Edition". Is this the same as the Bootleg cut? Does it have the extra 30 minutes?

ck

Yes. Same "Untitled" cut. Cameron Crowe really needs to work on a real 6k remaster.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #15 of 17 Old 02-01-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post

This is on sale at Best Buy for 14.99 starting today...definitely worth a pick up to me.

Picked this up Monday at Best Buy and having never seen it was unsure of what was in store for me. This is a great movie that pretty much hits a home run.
100 percent entertainment. But the really funny thing is how factual the movie portrays that era of music, the music industry and the fans of the bands.
Brought back a lot of memories of my young and crazy days. But the music was magic and friends that were made across the country are still listening and in touch with each other and sharing each years top musical performances and their personal favorite albums of the year.

Are we having fun yet?
post #16 of 17 Old 02-01-2011, 09:56 PM

Does anyone know when Netflix is getting it? I checked and there is no mention along with no mention of Back to the Future on Blu Ray. I get the feeling that something is amidst.
post #17 of 17 Old 02-03-2011, 07:49 AM

Liked: 11
I, too, bought the imported Blu Ray from the UK. It is an average transfer of a terrific film. I am wondering if this new Best Buy exclusive is an upgrade to this import disc. Anybody know?
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Almost Famous The Bootleg Cut Directors Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page