Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2010
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 104 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Traditional Cantonese
Starring: Carey Mulligan, Keira Knightly, Andrew Garfield, Charlotte Rampling
Directed by: Mark Romanek
Music by: Rachel Portman
Written by: Alex Garland
Region Code: A,B

Blu-ray Disc release Date: February 1, 2011

"Be healthy for vitality"

Film Synopsis:

Never Let Me Go is a powerful story revolving around Kathy (Mulligan), Ruth (Knightley) and Tommy (Garfield), three best friends who grow up together at an English boarding school with a chilling secret. When they learn the shocking truth - that they are genetically engineered clones destined to be organ donors - they embrace their fleeting chance to live and love.

My Take:

Never let me go is based on the novel of the same name by Kazuo Ishiguro. The fictional story opens in an alternate 1967 where a discovery allows the average lifespan of humans to be somewhere around age 100. Fast forward to 1978 and the seemingly idyllic boarding school of Hailsham where the influences of the outside world are minimal and the importance of physical health for students is a priority. The children co-exist and share many of the same adolescent school yard experiences you would expect to find in such a sheltered environment. The truth is that Hailsham is anything but an ordinary boarding school. The children are carefully watched over with undisclosed but certain futures that lack the promise of them becoming anything more than a mere reflection of humanity. Kathy, Ruth and Tommy are three very different children who become friends while growing up in Hailsham. Their connection becomes an emotional one that binds them into young adulthood. But soon the complications of maturity, relationships and unfulfillment call, despite the inevitability of their existence, as they struggle to embrace their fleeting chance to live and love.

I wasn't aware of this film or the book prior to receiving this for review. The synopsis looked interesting but I went in with moderate expectations just the same. It turned out to be an evocative dramatic film that reminded me a little of The Island. The idea of genetically engineered people designed for one purpose, to act as donors, for someone they are modeled after is of course disturbing but the focus here is less sci-fi and more about the heartache of missed opportunity/lost love. It moves a little slowly but carefully defines the characters which derive a better connection to the story's foreboding premise. It begins with them as kids and focuses on three periods in their young lives, 1978, 1985, and 1994. The story is narrated by Kathy and is primarily told from her perspective. As seen through her eyes this is a profound, touching and tragic film that resonated with me. This is the third or fourth film that I have seen Carey Mulligan in and I find her wholesome beauty and indelible acting to be enamoring. Kiera Knightly and Adam Garfield are equally deserving of praise as are the three actors that portrayed the trio when they were youngsters. This is a very visual film which is aptly reflected in both its shooting locations and cinematography (which are gorgeous). I haven't read the novel but after seeing this film I can attest to the compelling nature of its ingredients. As I alluded to earlier Never let me go moves a little slowly but ultimately results in a rewarding film experience.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for some sexuality and nudity.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 80

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Never let me go comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 31 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.2 Mbps.

The high definition video quality was on par with other new release films of its type and looked great. Colors were natural looking with a pleasing and reserved quality that capably handled the somewhat limited palette required by the period settings and clothing featured in the film. Flesh tones varied a bit with some appearing well delineated and lifelike while others had a slightly pale appearance. Contrast was spot on which augmented the beautifully captured natural lighting of the exterior locations featured in the film. Images were detailed and crisp, with definable lines and appreciable dimension. While I noticed sporadic occasions where resolution fluctuated slightly this appeared innate to the photography and never called fidelity into question. Blacks were strong with discernable gradational quality while detail in dark areas and low lit sequences was estimable which enhanced depth. The video was rendered well and didn't show any signs of compression related anomalies or video artifacts.

The DTS-HD MA soundtrack readily handled the elements contained in this dialogue driven film. The presentation retained a front loaded perspective with well defined and clearly articulated dialogue that extended well into the room. Sounds were reproduced with discerning clarity and delineation that brought forth plenty of subtle nuance and low level detail. Surround activity was limited to rear channel spatial cues and occasional directional sounds. This isn't a dynamically demanding soundtrack however this lossless presentation was a perfect match with the source material and sounded fine.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) The secrets of Never let me go - 30 minute making of documentary

• (HD) Mark Romanek's on-set photography - 3 minute slideshow (set to the film's music)

• (HD) Tommy's art - 2 minute slideshow (set to the film's music)

• (HD) National Donor Programme & Hailsham campaign graphics - Faux PSA

• (HD) Theatrical trailer

Final Thoughts:

Based on the novel of the same name by Kazuo Ishigura Never let me go successfully blends elements of sci-fi, drama and romance into a profound, touching and tragic film that slowly develops but ultimately proves rewarding. It features strong direction, gorgeous cinematography and wonderful all around performances by its young talented cast. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox featuring excellent high definition video quality, crystal clear lossless sound and middling bonus supplement that include a decent making of documentary. If you're a romantic who doesn't mind a little genre mixing this is worth checking out.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-02-2011, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Saw this one in the theater without knowing anything about it. This was a fantastic movie, and one of my favorites of the year. I was very glad to see that the story didn't over the top, which given the subject matter, very well could have happened.

I'd also say that this is a Sci Fi movies for people who generally dislike the genre
post #3 of 15 Old 02-02-2011, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I just watched the trailer thanks to Ralph's review and will pick this one up on Amazon.

Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #4 of 15 Old 02-02-2011, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Watched it theatrically on a nice Christie DLP.

I never really cared for the film; I found it to be an odd mix of Romance, Sci Fi, and commentary on the medical industry. The latter two are essentially afterthoughts for what I found a male fantasy story about a girl falling in love with a loser who was seduced by her slutty friend. It's the kind of fantasy a guy would have thought of.

The Real reason to see it IMO is for the gorgeous cinematography of the British countryside, which gushes with vibrant, saturated colors that are literally dream-like. I was disapointed that it didn't get a nom for cinematography.
post #5 of 15 Old 02-02-2011, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

I just watched the trailer thanks to Ralph's review and will pick this one up on Amazon.

Tom

Greetings,

Great Tom. Be sure to post your thoughts once you have seen it..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #6 of 15 Old 02-02-2011, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One of my favorite books. Debating if I should watch this or not.
post #7 of 15 Old 02-02-2011, 10:19 PM

Day one pickup for me...I was psyched to see this at Best Buy for $20. I was surprised at first to see that it was the same screenwriter who did "28 Days Later" and "Sunshine."
post #8 of 15 Old 02-03-2011, 03:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Definitely my favorite film of 2010. Carey Mulligan deserved a nomination as did the composer and cinematographer.
post #9 of 15 Old 02-03-2011, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by natrone06 View Post

One of my favorite books. Debating if I should watch this or not.

I have not read the book, but I know a few people who have and left the movie disappointed. I think you should give it a rent at least and come back with what you thought....I'm always curious to see what people that read the book think of movies
post #10 of 15 Old 02-03-2011, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

When this movie came out it was on a very limited release and almost every theater was sold out. Luckily i found one that isn't and when i first saw it i thought it was very good.

The cast of characters were great and the story was brilliant. Although the ending was sad overall it's a fantastic film. Definitely a collect for me.

Cheers
post #11 of 15 Old 02-04-2011, 03:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 565
An excellent, story driven film that will evoke emotion out of a rock .. a great flick to see with your chick .. even though it's not really a Chick Flick ..

Thanks, Ralph, good review ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #12 of 15 Old 02-07-2011, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Excellent film, super depressing though.

R
post #13 of 15 Old 02-11-2011, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Can any movie get heavier than this one??. I don't know if I could handle the weight of it if there is one. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, the performances of the main trio were amazing. Cary Mulligan stole a piece of my heart and I'll be looking for her in the future.
The PQ was so revealing, it is a well deserved 88 if not higher and the haunting piano filled my room and never was overbearing, but complementing what was happening on the screen.
Slow paced and extremely detailed, it was an awesome HT experience.
post #14 of 15 Old 02-12-2011, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacco View Post

Can any movie get heavier than this one??. I don't know if I could handle the weight of it if there is one. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, the performances of the main trio were amazing. Cary Mulligan stole a piece of my heart and I'll be looking for her in the future.
The PQ was so revealing, it is a well deserved 88 if not higher and the haunting piano filled my room and never was overbearing, but complementing what was happening on the screen.
Slow paced and extremely detailed, it was an awesome HT experience.

Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your impressions Chewy.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #15 of 15 Old 04-17-2011, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I watched this Blu Ray last night (from Netflix) and really enjoyed it. It was one of those movies where I had to think a bit after it was all over to know for sure what I thought of it. But the more I thought about it the more I realized how much I really liked this movie. The visual texture of the film was outstanding--and fit perfectly with this uncertain future of the major characters. indeed very heavy material.

Bob

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Never Let Me Go Blu Ray , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Samsung Bd C7900 1080p 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Toshiba Hd Xa2 1080p Hd Dvd Player
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page