Alice In Wonderland 60th Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-03-2011, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
attachment.php?attachmentid=200344&d=1296603209
The Review at a Glance: ( max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373697

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373697

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Walt Disney - 1951
MPAA Rating: G
Feature running time: 75 minutes
Genre: Children's/Animation

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.37:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD MA 5.1, English Dolby Digital 2.0, French, Spanish DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish
Starring: Kathryn Beaumont, Ed Wynn and Richard Haydn
Directed by: Clyde Geronimi, Wilfred Jackson & Hamilton Luske
Music by: Oliver Wallace
Written by: Lewis Carroll
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: February 01, 2011

"I'm Late For a Very Important Date."

Film Synopsis:

Experience the magic and majesty of Alice In Wonderland with the ultimate collector's dream. For the first time, Walt Disney's timeless classic bursts into brilliance in Blu-ray Hi Definition! Featuring Disney Enhanced Home Theater Mix, this remarkable digital restoration boasts pristine sound and unparalleled picture quality. Plus, fascinating bonus features including "Through The Keyhole: A Companion's Guide To Wonderland" and an exciting interactive game, "Painting The Roses Red," have been specifically designed for this landmark release.

My Take:

Walt Disney's Beloved Masterpiece, 'Alice in Wonderland', makes its Blu-ray debut, and boy is it a feature packed and gorgeous release. Based on Lewis Carrol's famous story of Alice and her adventures in wonderland, this 1951 animated classic still stands the test of time. This fairy tale is a wild and fun ride for children, but deeper down it feels like a metaphor for how a child's mind works, interprets and processes new experiences. It is like childhood to adolescence wrapped in one neat and crazy adventure.

Must of us know of the story--from Alice's wandering mind as her sister reads to her, to her following the White Rabbit and falling down the rabbit-hole. The peer-pressure metaphor pops up, and Alice drinks from the bottle marked "Drink me." From there Alice meets such strange creatures as Tweedledum and Tweedledee, the Cheshire Cat, the Mad Hatter, and of course Alice has a showdown with the Queen of Hearts and her army of cards. She finally awakens from the nightmare safe and sound to her sisters voice.

If we get past the obvious psychedelic bent this story and film has, from eating the mushroom, to drinking the liquid---to all the insane and bad-trip-esque stuff that happens to poor Alice, we see this bad dream (trip) she has is an awakening of sorts. She learns responsibility, to question authority, about logic and rules, and ultimately that there is not enough time in life before death. Heavy stuff for the little ones, but they wont see all of that (unless you have a prodigy). My little guy who is three and a half was a bit bored and wanted to see "Lightning McQueen". I really loved revisiting 'Alice in Wonderland' after all these years, and was marveled at how this hand animated, 1951 version blew away Tim Burton's 2010 big budget take. This one sure stands the test of time and can be cherished by adult and children alike.

Parental Guide:

Rated G

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 78

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373694

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373698

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373697

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

Video: 94

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373697

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373698

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373698

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=121037369
'Alice in Wonderland' debuts on Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 21.6 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.5 kbps.

Disney spares no expense with the restoration and high def mastering of its classics, and 'Alice in Wonderland' is no exception. Man this looked amazing for its age. Its colors are not as vivid as a newer animated flick, but this is not computer generated, so for its age, the color palette is bold and well preserved. The hand drawn animation comes across so clean it is stunning, and at times it is so detailed it's like it hasn't aged at all. Kudos to Disney as its extensive efforts have paid off. The DTS-HD MA track is as good as it could get, but don't expect to be as blown away like the video presentation. All dialogue is disernable and smaller details come across clean and clear, having a nice front sound-stage. Oliver Wallace's songs have never sounded better and all the wonderful music comes across beautifully here. Don't expect much in the effect channels or any big LFE moments, as this is a conservative sounding mix. Seeing as its roots were a mono mix from 1951, this is a major upgrade, but not capable of rivaling new sound design.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Painting the Roses Red- Game

• (HD) Art Gallery

• (HD) Disney View

• (HD) Alice and the Doorknob

• (HD) Walt Disney Color TV Introduction (1959) and 2 others

• (HD) Thru the Mirror- Mickey Mouse animated short

• (HD) Operation Wonderland

• (HD)"I'm Odd" newly discovered Cheshire Cat song and intro

• (HD) An Alice Comedy: Alice's Wonderland

• (HD) Original theatrical trailers (1951 & 1974)

• (HD) Pencil Test: Alice Shrinks: Kathryn Beaumont introduces a newly discovered pencil test of Alice shrinking

• (HD) Through the Keyhole: A Companion's Guide to Wonderland: View the movie in this special mode and discover references to the original Lewis Carroll classic, introduced by the voice of Alice, Kathryn Beaumont

• (HD) Trailers: Winnie The Poo, Bambi: Diamond Edition, Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2, Tangled, Dumbo 70th Anniversary Edition, Spooky Buddies, The Incredibles

• Reflections on Alice

• An Alice Comedy: Alice's Wonderland

• One-hour in Wonderland

• Deleted Materials

• Fred Waring Show

• Original Theatrical Trailers: 1951 & 1974

• BD Live enabled

• DVD Copy

Final Thoughts:

'Alice in Wonderland' is a worthy addition to any fan's Blu-ray Collection. If you look closely, the story is far more than a kids fairytale, but it's fun to just go with the fun of it all and not think too much as well. I cant wait to watch it again with my son-- in a year or so, I am sure he will love it. Disney did a stellar job with this release, looking better than it ever has, really blowing me away. The copious amount of extra features are super fun to watch, just make sure you have a little time set aside. I am glad to have this timeless movie in my collection and give it my highest recommendation.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157497&d=1257542613

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Custom 1.3 Gain 128" 2.37:1 CinemaScope Screen
Marantz AV7005 Pre/Pro
Emotiva UPA7 Amplifier
Sony PS3 Slim Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Triangle Zerius Speakers (7.1)
SVS PC13-Ultra Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-03-2011, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the review, Lee.
It's been decades since I've seen it, the first time when I was very young in the '50's.
This is another classic that will have a place in my Disney collection.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-04-2011, 01:58 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Greetings,

Thanks Lee..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #4 of 9 Old 02-04-2011, 06:05 AM

Lee, is the movie presented in 4:3 or has Disney given us a 16:9? Sorry if I missed this in your review. Thanks
post #5 of 9 Old 02-04-2011, 06:25 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyHook View Post

Lee, is the movie presented in 4:3 or has Disney given us a 16:9? Sorry if I missed this in your review. Thanks

Greetings,

It is presented in its original aspect of 1.37:1.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #6 of 9 Old 02-04-2011, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow! Definitely been ages since i've seen this movie. A worthy classic for the collectors! Also if you're a member of the Disney club there's a $10 off promotion going on with this BR.

Cheers
post #7 of 9 Old 02-04-2011, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I have never actually seen this whole movie start to finish....I'll be at least renting it
post #8 of 9 Old 02-04-2011, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyHook View Post

Ralph is correct, of course. It is presented in its original 1.37:1 aspect ratio. But, like most Disney Classics coming out on Blu-ray recently, this one offers the option of watching it in "Disney View", which adds subtle and appropriate-to-the-scene border artwork to fill-in what would otherwise be black bars on a 1.78:1 screen.

I'm generally a purist about these things. But I watched Alice a couple of nights ago in the "Disney View" option and have to say it made for a very pleasant viewing experience on a large home theater screen. It's an option, so you can go with the black bars on the side of the screen or block it off if you have a masking system in your set-up if you like. But I've been enjoying these Disney Classic Blu-rays of Snow White, Pinocchio and Alice in Wonderland in "Disney View" and, at least with these Disney cartoons, find it more of an interesting addition than a distraction. Try it and see what you think.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-05-2011, 03:18 PM

Liked: 11
Anyone know if this release contains all of the older DVD and Laserdisc bonus feature materials? Just curious - and curiouser!!
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Alice In Wonderland 60th Anniversary Edition Blu Ray Version

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page