Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 02-06-2011, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 98
attachment.php?attachmentid=197994&d=1295114347
The Review at a Glance: ( max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373697

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373697

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Overture Films - 2010
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 115 minutes
Genre: Horror/Suspense/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Chloe Grace Moretz, Richard Jenkins, Kodi-Smit McPhee, Elias Koteas
Directed by: Mett Reeves
Music by: Michael Giacchino
Written by: Matt Reeves (screenplay), Based on John Ajvide Lindqvis's Novel and Screenplay for "Let The Right On In".
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: February 1, 2010

"Innocence dies. Abby doesn't."

Film Synopsis:

From Matt Reeves – the director of Cloverfield – comes the new vampire classic that critics are calling “chillingly real” (Scott Bowles, USA Today), “one of the best horror films of the year” (Cinematical) and “a haunting, touching and unforgettable thriller” (Pete Hammond, Boxoffice Magazine). In bleak New Mexico, a lonely, bullied boy, Owen, forms a unique bond with his mysterious new neighbor, Abby, who moves from town to town with the man who appears to be her father...

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=200870&d=1297017864I know I might ruffle a few feathers, but I enjoyed 'Let Me In' more than its counterpart, 2008's Swedish film, "Let the Right One In". There are some obvious similarities between the two, as well as some obvious differences. From what I could tell by this viewing, as well as information gleaned in its special features, this is an original take on John Ajvide Lindqvis's Novel "Let The Right On In" --as opposed to a 'remake'. The main differences between the two is that 'Let Me In' is a bit more of a horror film; it is more graphic in its violence. The tone, look and feel are very similar; similar enough to make it seem like a remake. It's a hard call...but regardless, it is the same story with some tweaks, however, it is similar enough to the original in all the right ways - but with enough changes to stand on its own.

The lead, 12 year old Owen (Kodi Smit-McPhee of The Road), forms a bond with his mysterious new neighbor, Abby (Chloe Moretz of Kick-Ass), who we find has been moving from place to place with a man who appears to be her father (Richard Jenkins of The Visitor). This is a convenient time for Owen, who is a loner, to find a new friend. He has a lonely home-life and is terribly bullied at school, so he is emotionally weak and open to strange and different Abby. When they meet she tells him right off the bat, "I can't be your friend."

For those who haven't seen either film, stop reading about the plot here or anywhere else, as I highly suggest going in cold on this one.

I felt more drawn to the characters in this version, and thought Matt Reeves proved to be a competent director, tackling a more substantial plot than the nauseatingly hand-held film "Cloverfield". I felt much more for Owen, and thought Kodi Smit-McPhee embodied his characters quiet, awkward sadness perfectly. Chloe Moretz became Abby. After her over-the-top role as Hit Girl in "Kick Ass", it was great to she her do a complete 360 here. She is a great little actress for the age of 13! The two of them had a wonderful chemistry, selling the adolescence is hell metaphor; especially for Abby who is stuck there forever. I have said it before, Richard Jenkins is the man. From sneaking up behind you with a garbage bag on his head here to his emotionally powerfull delivery in 2007's "The Visitor"...he is my favorite modern day character actor. He morphs into any role, and here, it is easy to believe he will do anything to protect Abby, which he certainly, and sometimes without self concern, does.

It might be that something was lost in translation from the original Swedish film, but this was an easier watch, and everything seemed to flow with less lulls. I think anyone who loved the original will appreciate this effort...at the least. The film has a delicate beauty to its horror which is what is lacking in most modern monster flicks. We feel for the victims, but still connect more with the monster, wanting it to live and be happy. That kind of yin-yang is what makes this film/story succeed. If you have yet to see either, both are very worth your time!

Parental Guide:

Rated R for strong bloody horror violence, language and a brief sexual situation.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 94

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373694

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373698

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373697

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

Video: 84

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373697

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373698

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373698

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=121037369
'Let Me In' comes to Blu-ray Disc from Anchor Bay Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 27.4 mbps and Dolby TrueHD 5.1 Surround Sound that has an average bitrate of 2.8 mbps.

Critiquing this video transfer was a bit tough. 'Let Me In' was wonderfully lit and filmed by Cinematographer Greig Fraser. It is a very dark film and somewhat soft as well, with a small amount of grain keeping its cinematic look. Anchor Bay was faithful, doing what looks like the bare necessities to this 1080p AVC encoded video. It is not the most detailed or sharp, but this was the intended look. Blacks do slightly waiver, but seeing that it is dark for the majority of the film, shadow details and black levels succeed more than not, and enhance the films feel. Considering its darkness, this is not the most colorful of films. The color scheme is a bit subdued, even giving flesh-tones a ghostly appearance. All of these choices work for the tone of the film, and come across perfectly on blu-ray.

The Dolby TrueHD 5.1 Surround Sound track was well thought out and was another great element that added to the films experience. It had a brooding low score that was a major thematic element. On transitions and for-warning danger, this low end would sound, almost in the classic way John Williams score for Jaws did. It was deep and dug low, shaking my chest. It wasn't the most refined LFE I have heard, but was an impressive element to the soundtrack. Where this track scored big was dynamics. From soft and delicate, with clarity in every whisper, to loud and hectic, this track was ready to startle or lull you at the blink of an eye. Its surround presentation and front sound-stage were all mixed spot-on, putting dialogue and effects where they looked to be on screen. I really enjoyed this track and how it and it's video presentation were as much a part of the film as the story.

Bonus Features:

• Audio Commentary With Writer/Director Matt Reeves

• (HD) From The Inside: A Look At The Making Of Let Me In

• (HD) Car Crash Sequence Step-By-Step

• (HD) The Art Of Special Effects

• (HD) Dissecting Let Me In

• (HD) Deleted Scenes

• (HD) Theatrical Trailers

• (HD) Trailers: Stone, Jack Goes Boating, Let Me In, The Crazies, The Disappearance of Alice Creed, I Spit on You Grave (2010), And Soon the Darkness

• Poster & Still Gallery

• A Digital Copy Of The Film

• Let Me In: Crossroads- Exclusive comic book prelude to the film
attachment.php?attachmentid=200871&d=1297017864

Final Thoughts:

'Let Me In' is a great genre film that transcends its horror roots. The acting, directing and effects (besides a little bit of questionable CGI) were all top notch. The 2 child stars sold the story, and were believable in their sadness. I found it to be equal parts entertaining (having the most effective car-crash I have seen) and though provoking with its drama/horror combination. Even if 'Let Me In' doesn't seem to be your cup of tea, you just might find a gem. If you do like this---please also check out the Swedish version as well. Combining the great film with a great Video and Audio presentation, and some watchable and enjoyable special features makes this a highly recommended Blu-ray.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157497&d=1257542613

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Custom 1.3 Gain 128" 2.37:1 CinemaScope Screen
Marantz AV7005 Pre/Pro
Emotiva UPA7 Amplifier
Sony PS3 Slim Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Triangle Zerius Speakers (7.1)
SVS PC13-Ultra Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-06-2011, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Just watched this last night on Bluray. Phenomenal movie, I enjoyed it more than the original. Best horror movie I've seen in a long time.
post #3 of 23 Old 02-06-2011, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyboy View Post

Just watched this last night on Bluray. Phenomenal movie, I enjoyed it more than the original. Best horror movie I've seen in a long time.

Same. The little tweaks that were added to the plot I liked as well. The ending was better I thought in this new version as well, it was just plain out messed up in a twisted way.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #4 of 23 Old 02-06-2011, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Watched the Swedish film adaption a while ago. I wasn't very fond of the pedophilic overtones from that movie, and I found it a self indulgent film, well made though. There were many better modern Swedish films (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Everlasting Moments (Which I found a great mix of Ingmar Bergman and Coen Bros) come to mind).

I was curious if this version gutted out some of the pedophilia; likely though.
post #5 of 23 Old 02-06-2011, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor2010 View Post

Watched the Swedish film adaption a while ago. I wasn't very fond of the pedophilic overtones from that movie, and I found it a self indulgent film, well made though. There were many better modern Swedish films (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Everlasting Moments (Which I found a great mix of Ingmar Bergman and Coen Bros) come to mind).

I was curious if this version gutted out some of the pedophilia; likely though.

Without trying to give anything away, if you're referring to what I think you are in terms of the pedophilia, I'm happy to report that in this new version, it goes into more detail on their relationship. Which was 1 of the nice little tweaks they made to the story that I liked so much.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #6 of 23 Old 02-07-2011, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Nice review! I'm glad you enjoyed the film too--I loved it for all those reasons and more. I don't think we are alone as the Rotten Tomato meter is pretty high for this film--both critics and general audience. I also enjoyed this version better than the original--some of that is because I am a fan of Chloe Mortez--but I just enjoyed this version better. The Making Of was enjoyable too as were the deleted scenes. One of my favorite interviews during the Making Of was Chloe remarking that she would jump out of her seat when Abby jumps out of the tub "Who was that! Oh, that was me. "

Bob

post #7 of 23 Old 02-07-2011, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I don't know which version I liked better....but it's probably the Swedish one. The American one used too much unneeded CG for Abbie, and it kept taking me out of the moment. Minus the cat scene, the FX in the original were much more subtle and just more creepy.
post #8 of 23 Old 02-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow4life View Post
I don't know which version I liked better....but it's probably the Swedish one. The American one used too much unneeded CG for Abbie, and it kept taking me out of the moment. Minus the cat scene, the FX in the original were much more subtle and just more creepy.
Greetings,

I saw this in the theater and agree with you. I have the Blu-ray Disc and want to watch it again to see if my perspective changes. I really wanted to get that done prior to Lee's review and run my thought's alongside his but this has been a busy release month and I haven't had the time.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #9 of 23 Old 02-07-2011, 04:56 PM

Liked: 10
Interesting that you haven't touched on the single biggest change made: in the book and the Swedish film,
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
our mysterious visitor is actually male ... and the victim of terrible mutilation and abuse ...

Casey

[[Ah, thanks Lee. You edit and mine collided. I'll leave yours in place.]]
post #10 of 23 Old 02-07-2011, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
The above comment should have spoiler tags. With that said:

Spoiler  
With regards to that part of the story, unfortunately, a lot of Americans would have issues with how it was shown in the Swedish version. I personally didn't, but I remember how big of an issue "Leon" was when it first came out. Some child advocate groups tried saying the movie how tones of pedophilia.

Showing a nude child, even one wearing a prosthetic, gets some groups up in arms. Plus, it leaves the movie open for a prequel.

Personally, I liked both about the same, with possibly giving the nod to the American version, simply because there was more detail with the "guardian".

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #11 of 23 Old 02-07-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

The above comment should have spoiler tags.

Sorry, I hadn't thought that it was really a spoiler given that the comment referred to the other movie and the original book. I'll go and edit spoiler tags in.

Casey
post #12 of 23 Old 02-07-2011, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedom View Post

Interesting that you haven't touched on the single biggest change made: in the book and the Swedish film,
Spoiler  
our mysterious visitor is actually male ... and the victim of terrible mutilation and abuse ...

Casey

I did not want to outline the changes. Some people have not seen either.
post #13 of 23 Old 02-07-2011, 09:01 PM

i think the swedish movie is a classic and almost a perfect horror movie from start to finish. the american remake is getting such good reviews everywhere and many are falsely calling it a "faithful adaptation". what a joke! besides the fact I disliked most of the changes, my biggest problem is the pacing is not right. some of the scenes they did faithfully recreate they screwed up by going too fast. the second half of the movie is good and it is bloodier than the original, but the first half hour is pretty crappy. The extra gore I liked, but it wasn't needed. i wanted to turn it off around the 40 minute mark, but continued through it and thankfully it improved from then on. I know a 3 people that saw it in the theater and thought it was horrible. They aren't as open minded as I am, but I do agree the first third of the movie is horrible.
post #14 of 23 Old 02-08-2011, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I have this one here waiting for me to give it a viewing. I will admit, though, when I heard they were making an American version of the film, my first reaction was that I wasn't even going to see it. The original Swedish version was easily one of my favorite horror films ever, and definitely my favorite vampire film of all time. I was blown away by that film and I've recommended it time and time again.

That being said, the American version seems to have been received very well by critics and moviegoers alike, so I'm very much looking forward to it. I hope I enjoy it as much as you guys seem to have!
post #15 of 23 Old 02-08-2011, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
This one seemed empty compared to the original as I didn't feel the connection between the two characters, plus it felt rushed. I did like some of the special effects and a combination of the two films would have really put me over the top.
post #16 of 23 Old 02-08-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacco View Post

This one seemed empty compared to the original as I didn't feel the connection between the two characters, plus it felt rushed. I did like some of the special effects and a combination of the two films would have really put me over the top.

most of the reviews have been really positive. funny thing is, the few negative ones I could find on rottentomatoes.com from various publications/sites all list the same criticisms you and I have made. it felt rushed compared to the original and empty. the only stuff I liked that was different was the extra gore and some of the cg. that's it. the rest was not even close.
post #17 of 23 Old 02-17-2011, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacco View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxjulie View Post
most of the reviews have been really positive. funny thing is, the few negative ones I could find on rottentomatoes.com from various publications/sites all list the same criticisms you and I have made. it felt rushed compared to the original and empty. the only stuff I liked that was different was the extra gore and some of the cg. that's it. the rest was not even close.
I enjoyed this more than I thought I would, as the Swedish version was just ok for me. It did feel really rushed though.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #18 of 23 Old 02-21-2011, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I watched both versions again this weekend, and have decided I like the American version better, for this reason:

Spoiler  
In the Swedish version, the director kind of made a big deal out of Abby being a castrated "boy". In the American version, when she said "I'm not a girl", it had more meaning to her being a vampire.

It seems more and more European films throw in some homo-eroticism, which I guess I'm just not into. I'm not homophobic, and don't mind watching films that touch on the subject, but in both versions of this film, Owen is clearly heterosexual, so the Swedish version just came off as a little creepy to me. And not creepy as in scary, creepy as in an old guy asking, "Hey little girl, want some candy?" kind of way.

Or, it could just be me.

Thoughts?

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #19 of 23 Old 02-21-2011, 02:48 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

I watched both versions again this weekend, and have decided I like the American version better, for this reason:

Spoiler  
In the Swedish version, the director kind of made a big deal out of Abby being a castrated "boy". In the American version, when she said "I'm not a girl", it had more meaning to her being a vampire.

It seems more and more European films throw in some homo-eroticism, which I guess I'm just not into. I'm not homophobic, and don't mind watching films that touch on the subject, but in both versions of this film, Owen is clearly heterosexual, so the Swedish version just came off as a little creepy to me. And not creepy as in scary, creepy as in an old guy asking, "Hey little girl, want some candy?" kind of way.

Or, it could just be me.

Thoughts?

Greetings,

Spoiler  
The only thing I would like to point out is that in the book Eli was in fact a boy prior to being turned etc. This version kind of skips over that although not a deal breaker.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #20 of 23 Old 02-22-2011, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

The original was only so so IMHO but for $13.99 I picked this one up at BB. I'm was interested in giving it a go and it is a long wait at NF. What the heck, at least I got a nice slipcover if it doesn't pan out and it may be easier to sell!
post #21 of 23 Old 03-08-2011, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I preferred the original, but this was definitely enjoyable. Since the interaction between Abby/Owen and Eli/Oskar was almost shot for shot, I'd call this an English port rather than a reimagining of the book. The book was so much darker, violent and creepier, the US version could have really redone this one. They didn't, they just rearranged some scenes, excised others and put a ribbon around it.

For those that objected to...

Spoiler  
pedophilia hints in the Swedish version...they were in homage to the original material and were very effective in giving the audience hints of Eli's backstory, a surprise shot for verification and yes, a creepy feeling. I found that intriguing. It made me think about the film more, then research the story further. In short, it was supposed to do that and it added a richness lacking in the American version.

As said, not bad at all. The kids were great in both. The girl in LTROI wins my prize, however.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #22 of 23 Old 03-08-2011, 02:28 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post
I preferred the original, but this was definitely enjoyable. Since the interaction between Abby/Owen and Eli/Oskar was almost shot for shot, I'd call this an English port rather than a reimagining of the book. The book was so much darker, violent and creepier, the US version could have really redone this one. They didn't, they just rearranged some scenes, excised others and put a ribbon around it.

For those that objected to...

Spoiler  
pedophilia hints in the Swedish version...they were in homage to the original material and were very effective in giving the audience hints of Eli's backstory, a surprise shot for verification and yes, a creepy feeling. I found that intriguing. It made me think about the film more, then research the story further. In short, it was supposed to do that and it added a richness lacking in the American version.

As said, not bad at all. The kids were great in both. The girl in LTROI wins my prize, however.
Greetings,

I absolutely agree Ron.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #23 of 23 Old 03-25-2011, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Watched this last night and really enjoyed it. Will definitely become a part of my collection. Haven't seen the Swedish version but I didn't feel like the film was rushed. I thought it was paced about perfectly for a more methodical thriller.

Xbox Gamertag: matteoms

Official Member of the Joy Puke Your Face Off Club.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Let Me In Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Let by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page